Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR Book Club 12:38 - Apr 19 with 2085 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What are we all reading?

QPR Book Club on 12:45 - Apr 19 with 1496 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I am just finishing Robert Elms latest book. Very well written and quite a few QPR references as you'd expect.
QPR Book Club on 13:04 - Apr 19 with 1481 viewsstowmarketrange

25 of the latest copies of Akutrs before I hand them over to someone else who is stuck indoors.I’m up to my 9th now from March 2018.
Then I have enough books still to read to last me another 2 years at least.
QPR Book Club on 13:07 - Apr 19 with 1477 viewsMickS_

I’m re-reading Mel’s book. Just finished “Of Mice and Men.” Again.
QPR Book Club on 13:09 - Apr 19 with 1474 viewsBoston

QPR Book Club on 13:07 - Apr 19 by MickS_

I’m re-reading Mel’s book. Just finished “Of Mice and Men.” Again.

I’m not reading Mel’s book. Apparently the Carpathia was Southampton bound.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

QPR Book Club on 13:15 - Apr 19 with 1465 viewsDannyPaddox

I’m 200 pages through this with 400 to go. I’d be grateful if you’ve read it to not tell me what happens in the end.
QPR Book Club on 13:31 - Apr 19 with 1450 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

QPR Book Club on 12:45 - Apr 19 by CroydonCaptJack

I am just finishing Robert Elms latest book. Very well written and quite a few QPR references as you'd expect.

Always struck me as a geezer whose had a mad life.
QPR Book Club on 14:56 - Apr 19 with 1399 viewspeejaybee

50 People Who Buggered Up Britain by Quentin Letts

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

QPR Book Club on 15:12 - Apr 19 with 1383 viewsBoston

QPR Book Club on 13:31 - Apr 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

Always struck me as a geezer whose had a mad life.

Not the impression I had formed. Interesting, but not mad.

Login to get fewer ads

QPR Book Club on 15:12 - Apr 19 with 1382 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Just about to finish NW by Zadie Smith and then on to 'The Murder of Sonny Liston, a story of fame, heroin, boxing and Las Vegas' which I'm looking forward to.
QPR Book Club on 15:41 - Apr 19 with 1358 viewsqpr_1968

Roger daltrey…..my story.

just started it.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

QPR Book Club on 15:43 - Apr 19 with 1353 viewsstowmarketrange

QPR Book Club on 15:41 - Apr 19 by qpr_1968

Roger daltrey…..my story.

just started it.

Another former Ranger wasn’t he?
QPR Book Club on 15:46 - Apr 19 with 1348 viewsBrianMcCarthy

'My Turn' by Cryuff.

The lad was fond of himself.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR Book Club on 15:58 - Apr 19 with 1338 viewsSonofNorfolt

Boston, Brian and others Rangers overseas.
It seems carrier pigeon may be quicker.
All the UK ones got there the next day.

I'll be doing another postal run this week, if anyone else is interested.

melh64@hotmail.co.uk
QPR Book Club on 16:32 - Apr 19 with 1314 viewscolinallcars

Quite a few....Keep The Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell, John Betjeman's English Churches plus re-Reading Bill Bryson's early books.
QPR Book Club on 17:18 - Apr 19 with 1271 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

QPR Book Club on 16:32 - Apr 19 by colinallcars

Quite a few....Keep The Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell, John Betjeman's English Churches plus re-Reading Bill Bryson's early books.

Notes on a Small Island is good if you haven’t read it already.
QPR Book Club on 17:30 - Apr 19 with 1262 viewsTacticalR

QPR Book Club on 15:46 - Apr 19 by BrianMcCarthy

'My Turn' by Cryuff.

The lad was fond of himself.

I had the same impression:
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/187688/2619139/pe

Air hostess clique

QPR Book Club on 18:12 - Apr 19 with 1220 viewsWatfordR

QPR Book Club on 13:15 - Apr 19 by DannyPaddox

I’m 200 pages through this with 400 to go. I’d be grateful if you’ve read it to not tell me what happens in the end.

Funnily enough, I've been reading "A History of Ireland" by Peter Somerset Fry.

I've read it countless times and always found it hard to get my head around. To be truthful, I was always hopeless at History at school, I find it hard to really conceptualise years and sometimes decades reduced to a few lines or paragraphs.

Really tried hard now I've got the time with this book, and am trying to use it to compile a list of other books that will give a little more "colour" to particular events in the timeline.
QPR Book Club on 18:27 - Apr 19 with 1202 viewsHunterhoop

The Choice Factory by Richard Shotton.

It’s excellent.
QPR Book Club on 18:29 - Apr 19 with 1200 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR Book Club on 17:30 - Apr 19 by TacticalR

I had the same impression:
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/187688/2619139/pe

Very good review of the man and the book.

To my mind, Cryuff is the most important influence on football in my lifetime. But the book is providing very few clues as to why because, as you say, he had such an unwavering faith in himself that there's rarely any ambiguity or room for analysis.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR Book Club on 18:33 - Apr 19 with 1192 viewsBoston

QPR Book Club on 16:32 - Apr 19 by colinallcars

Bryson never did it for me. Clever and witty but contrived I thought. Seemed to borrow quite a bit from more natural authors.

QPR Book Club on 19:29 - Apr 19 with 1140 viewskensalriser

Another Zadie Smith, Swing Time. Really enjoying her natural style and attention to small details, plus the local flavour, of course.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

QPR Book Club on 19:43 - Apr 19 with 1129 viewsMrSheen

I took against Zadie Smith, the great poet of multicultural NW6/2, a Malorees kid like me, grew up and didn’t notice Irish people apart from a bit of nuisance. Probably unfair, but there’s plenty of other people to read.

I’m breaking the habit of a lifetime and trying SF/Fantasy, about two thirds through the first Dune. It’s actually not bad, much less clunky than similar ones I’ve read before. Funny that amid all the double-Q names, it’s got a pirate adventurer called Duncan.
QPR Book Club on 20:16 - Apr 19 with 1105 viewsCiderwithRsie

QPR Book Club on 19:43 - Apr 19 by MrSheen

I took against Zadie Smith, the great poet of multicultural NW6/2, a Malorees kid like me, grew up and didn’t notice Irish people apart from a bit of nuisance. Probably unfair, but there’s plenty of other people to read.

I’m breaking the habit of a lifetime and trying SF/Fantasy, about two thirds through the first Dune. It’s actually not bad, much less clunky than similar ones I’ve read before. Funny that amid all the double-Q names, it’s got a pirate adventurer called Duncan.

It's remarkably prescient (a word I learnt from it) about the risk of an entire civilisation depending on a commodity controlled by a bunch of religious fanatics in the desert, published 8 years before the '73 oil crisis and long before the word "jihad" made it into most people's vocabulary.

The other books in the series don't quite live up to the first IMO.
QPR Book Club on 20:19 - Apr 19 with 1102 viewsBucksRanger

I read a lot of sci-fi. Currently reading Artemis by Andy Weir (the author came out of nowhere with his first book, The Martian). Artemis is the first habitat on the moon to house humans full time. Population of around 20,000.

The book's protagonist is a young woman named Jazz who does odd jobs to make her living. Some of the jobs aren't always legal. One of those jobs gets her into deep trouble and a company she attempts to sabotage which is run by the Brazilian mob decide to have her killed. They have a killer on the moon base. Jazz's problem then becomes how to hide from a mafia killer in something the size of a small village. Step outside and the lack of oxygen will get her. Stay inside and sooner or later the killer will.
QPR Book Club on 20:43 - Apr 19 with 1088 viewstimjones

QPR Book Club on 15:43 - Apr 19 by stowmarketrange

Another former Ranger wasn’t he?

I read the Roger Daltrey book. Excellent read with quite a few references to Shepherds Bush. Born in Percy Road, just off Askew Road. Briefly mentions being a QPR supporter, then loses interest in the 70s due to hooliganism, and then later (90s I think) his son starts to support Arsenal, so he starts to like them. Doesn't really seem too interested in football to be honest.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024