Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Cyclists? 20:19 - May 11 with 16223 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The search for a new sport continues... I've bought a bike.

Basic enough bike for now as I haven't cycled much since I was a teenager.

All tips gratefully received!

https://www.360cycles.ie/genesis-delta-30-shimano-105-2020-black-orange.html?id=

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Any Cyclists? on 08:47 - May 12 with 1578 viewsDaBurgh

I cycled to and from work - Ealing to london bridge area in the 80's early 90's. Down the uxbridge road, holland park - past the shepherd's bush hilton, is it stll there? Down oxford street. Never had an accident. Best advice i can give is always assume that car drivers are going to do stupid things. Open doors without looking, turn left at lights without indicating, enter roundabouts without slowing down or looking properly. Just basically think ahead and be aware that as far as cyclist are concerned most car drivers are knobheads. After all that, have fun!
Any Cyclists? on 08:49 - May 12 with 1566 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I’d also suggest consider joining a local bike group or, get some mates to hook up with. I coerced some of chums in Phnom Penh and formed the ‘Weekend Warriors’. Code of honour required 7am meet-ups without excuses and while we would all of failed breathalysers if required, that first 10k sweated it out.

We then did a 100km race around Angkor Wat which was fantastic. Well worth having something to peddle for.

Oh and I’d also recommend a book written by a QPR fan that stopped with me in Phnom Penh as he was...cycling around the world!! Matt Blake ‘I’ll be Home Before Christmas’ Four and a half year schlep...hard as fookin nails!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Any Cyclists? on 09:02 - May 12 with 1548 viewsKonk

Any Cyclists? on 08:47 - May 12 by DaBurgh

I cycled to and from work - Ealing to london bridge area in the 80's early 90's. Down the uxbridge road, holland park - past the shepherd's bush hilton, is it stll there? Down oxford street. Never had an accident. Best advice i can give is always assume that car drivers are going to do stupid things. Open doors without looking, turn left at lights without indicating, enter roundabouts without slowing down or looking properly. Just basically think ahead and be aware that as far as cyclist are concerned most car drivers are knobheads. After all that, have fun!

Yeah. That's good advice. And since the advent of smart phones, no fu cker under 50 seems to look up when they're crossing the road either. Some cyclists are also complete dic ks. Basically, assume that everyone else is about to do something stupid/dangerous. I've had a couple of near misses myself when I've been lost in my own thoughts, so I know how easily it's done.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Any Cyclists? on 09:43 - May 12 with 1515 viewshovehoop

Any Cyclists? on 09:02 - May 12 by Konk

Yeah. That's good advice. And since the advent of smart phones, no fu cker under 50 seems to look up when they're crossing the road either. Some cyclists are also complete dic ks. Basically, assume that everyone else is about to do something stupid/dangerous. I've had a couple of near misses myself when I've been lost in my own thoughts, so I know how easily it's done.

That's about right. Same principles I taught my son. Ride wide of parked cars, assuming the door will spring open. And if you find yourself in traffic then back off your speed because an impatient driver will get fed up waiting and put in a rapid unplanned turn, right across your path. I give thumbs up to drivers I've held up on climbs - it doesn't hurt. And don't jump the lights.
Any Cyclists? on 10:05 - May 12 with 1483 viewshovehoop

Any Cyclists? on 04:53 - May 12 by dolcelatte

Warning - it is very addictive. You will see your fitness improve quickly and weight loss can be rapid if you cycle regularly.

I'm now up to 6 bikes, gravel bike my current fave (kinda like a dropped handlebar bike that can go offroad as well). Go tubeless eventually but for now practise changing inner tubes.

I've done Manchester to London in a day, Paris Roubaix twice and a little thing called the L'Etape du Tour 3 times. See you on a sportive this time next year!!

Respect for those efforts. The L-Etape in particular. I looked at the online training programme which looks doable (without factoring the heat and altitude) but I'd have to lay claim to my sons smart trainer in winter. But, would probably like to get back to somewhere like Majorca first and do the 167. I loved riding there but the bit that surprised me was concentrating when tired on say 10km descents and appreciating we don't have anything comparable here to practice on. Got caught in a flash flood returning from the lighthouse there and that made me think! But it's a lovely place to ride. My son and I took our bikes with us a few months after I had back surgery and the trip was my way of two-fingering two years lost to injury. Was also planning to ride in the Alps or Pyrenees to tick off some of the well known climbs and take in the scenery but haven't quite found the spot to base ourselves for a long weekend - Briancon maybe. Cyclist magazine has just published their top 100 list in case you've not already seen it.

4 bikes at the last count and have run out of places to put them. 2 are hanging on the wall. It's ok until women visit the house then tell my wife they wouldn't put up with the bikes everywhere. My son has 3 also.
Any Cyclists? on 10:25 - May 12 with 1466 viewshovehoop

Ha ha. Some mixed advice on clothing. Do wear the right kit. It's what it's designed for. It will dry quickly after rain and if it's not close fitting then you'll catch the wind and slow down. Plus, bib shorts/tights insulate your lower back and are padded in the right places.

About the padlock. Depends what you're using your bike for. You don't need one for out and back rides and they add unnecessary weight. But maybe if you're commuting and plan leaving your bike somewhere. Personally I wouldn't leave a £1k (or more) bike lying around, even with a lock. My road bike never leaves my sight, even after a ride and we're having a coffee. So, it means I can ride as light as possible. But, I do have a lock on my town bike which is a cheap hack I'm happy to leave outside the swimming pool, pub, shops etc.
Any Cyclists? on 10:41 - May 12 with 1449 viewsKonk

Any Cyclists? on 09:43 - May 12 by hovehoop

That's about right. Same principles I taught my son. Ride wide of parked cars, assuming the door will spring open. And if you find yourself in traffic then back off your speed because an impatient driver will get fed up waiting and put in a rapid unplanned turn, right across your path. I give thumbs up to drivers I've held up on climbs - it doesn't hurt. And don't jump the lights.

I always give a thumbs up or a raised hand to thank drivers who've waited for a safe spot to overtake or waited for me to pass before turning across my path. I generally find drivers to be okay, but there are some complete and utter c ocks driving about. Usually in Audis or Range Rovers, for some reason.

Red lights - traffic is picking-up now, but I was riding round central Bristol between 06:00-07:00 the other Sunday, and can't have seen more than ten cars the whole time. Felt sorely tempted to jump red lights on deserted roads, but sat their patiently waiting for them to change. I didn't want to give any motorist the thrill of seeing a cyclist jump the lights. I do think you should be able to go left at a red light as long as you're safe to do so.

As someone who's not a serious cyclist, I had a great time riding with friends from the Hook of Holland across to friends on the German border, via matess in Utrecht. It was a great first cycling holiday. Flat as you like, so, boring for more experienced cyclists, but for someone who's a bit risk averse, it was lovely being able to ride off road on near perfect bike paths for 95% of the trip, The downside of all that flat was the headwinds, which were a right pain in the ar se!

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Any Cyclists? on 10:56 - May 12 with 1429 viewsLythamR

Any Cyclists? on 10:05 - May 12 by hovehoop

Respect for those efforts. The L-Etape in particular. I looked at the online training programme which looks doable (without factoring the heat and altitude) but I'd have to lay claim to my sons smart trainer in winter. But, would probably like to get back to somewhere like Majorca first and do the 167. I loved riding there but the bit that surprised me was concentrating when tired on say 10km descents and appreciating we don't have anything comparable here to practice on. Got caught in a flash flood returning from the lighthouse there and that made me think! But it's a lovely place to ride. My son and I took our bikes with us a few months after I had back surgery and the trip was my way of two-fingering two years lost to injury. Was also planning to ride in the Alps or Pyrenees to tick off some of the well known climbs and take in the scenery but haven't quite found the spot to base ourselves for a long weekend - Briancon maybe. Cyclist magazine has just published their top 100 list in case you've not already seen it.

4 bikes at the last count and have run out of places to put them. 2 are hanging on the wall. It's ok until women visit the house then tell my wife they wouldn't put up with the bikes everywhere. My son has 3 also.

This might be an interesting read for you, worth having a look at the preview anyway

Wayne was a local plod up here who i got to know through his efforts, recovering from Cancer he decided to have a go at a previous Tour de France route which included some classic climbs, He did it with the help of a friend and a motorhome. Quite dramatic in places but might also give some clues about areas to stay etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waynes-Tour-Big-Blokes-France-ebook/dp/B005SIUM5C/ref=s

it was in the early days of both Web and GPS but we put him together a web site and vehicle tracker on the Motorhome so people could follow his progress and see the images of the various stages, seems like a different world to today
Login to get fewer ads

Any Cyclists? on 11:05 - May 12 with 1421 viewsMrSheen

A friend from work was on L'Etape one year. Racing down a mountain at about 50mph, he rounded a curve and there was a cow in the middle of the road. He missed the cow, hit the kerb. Back next year though.

Never reached the addictive stage myself, knees too creaky.
Any Cyclists? on 11:13 - May 12 with 1417 viewshovehoop

Any Cyclists? on 10:41 - May 12 by Konk

I always give a thumbs up or a raised hand to thank drivers who've waited for a safe spot to overtake or waited for me to pass before turning across my path. I generally find drivers to be okay, but there are some complete and utter c ocks driving about. Usually in Audis or Range Rovers, for some reason.

Red lights - traffic is picking-up now, but I was riding round central Bristol between 06:00-07:00 the other Sunday, and can't have seen more than ten cars the whole time. Felt sorely tempted to jump red lights on deserted roads, but sat their patiently waiting for them to change. I didn't want to give any motorist the thrill of seeing a cyclist jump the lights. I do think you should be able to go left at a red light as long as you're safe to do so.

As someone who's not a serious cyclist, I had a great time riding with friends from the Hook of Holland across to friends on the German border, via matess in Utrecht. It was a great first cycling holiday. Flat as you like, so, boring for more experienced cyclists, but for someone who's a bit risk averse, it was lovely being able to ride off road on near perfect bike paths for 95% of the trip, The downside of all that flat was the headwinds, which were a right pain in the ar se!

Memories of bike trips live forever. When the weather is right, all the senses are ramped up. The headwind can be hard. Did a 4-day mountain bike trip in 2014 from Aberdeen to Fort William by trail. We rode through fords, had to carry our bikes where the trail disappeared, up the Corrieyairack Pass and almost got blown backwards in the final stretch from Fort Augustus down the Caledonian Canal to Fort William. But, though it was 6 years ago, it feels like it was last week. My favourite day was between Ballater and Glenmore, near Aviemore. The scenery was stunning. And we had a good laugh watching a mate rush after his bike that was being carried down a stretch of water he failed to cross!
Any Cyclists? on 11:19 - May 12 with 1412 viewshovehoop

Any Cyclists? on 10:56 - May 12 by LythamR

This might be an interesting read for you, worth having a look at the preview anyway

Wayne was a local plod up here who i got to know through his efforts, recovering from Cancer he decided to have a go at a previous Tour de France route which included some classic climbs, He did it with the help of a friend and a motorhome. Quite dramatic in places but might also give some clues about areas to stay etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waynes-Tour-Big-Blokes-France-ebook/dp/B005SIUM5C/ref=s

it was in the early days of both Web and GPS but we put him together a web site and vehicle tracker on the Motorhome so people could follow his progress and see the images of the various stages, seems like a different world to today

Thanks. It's now on the Wish List to review!
Any Cyclists? on 11:33 - May 12 with 1397 viewshovehoop

Any Cyclists? on 11:05 - May 12 by MrSheen

A friend from work was on L'Etape one year. Racing down a mountain at about 50mph, he rounded a curve and there was a cow in the middle of the road. He missed the cow, hit the kerb. Back next year though.

Never reached the addictive stage myself, knees too creaky.

L'Etape would take some serious prep. At least it should. A high number do not finish. I wouldn't want to be struggling uphill thinking of all those beers I wish I'd never had!
Any Cyclists? on 11:38 - May 12 with 1393 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I recommend Cranberry Juice.
Any Cyclists? on 12:06 - May 12 with 1372 viewsNewhopphoops

20 years ago I spent six weeks pootling round Europe, doing around 60 to 90 miles most days, sleeping between b&bs and a bivvy bag. It was great.

When I got back i decided to join a club to take advantage of being as in top shape - I was super light but needed to buy new jeans as my thighs had ballooned. So I joined a local club in Cardiff for their "relaxed" offseason Sunday morning rides.

I was by some way the fattest and least fit person there. The first day i bonked on about the sixth hill, and was pushed up by a guy of no more than seven stone who was banging on about energy supplements while my legs hung lifeless below me.

The second day was fast and fun peleton riding till we turned back towards town, then it was every man for himself into a monster headwind and rain for the last 25 miles. I made it at walking pace.

I was among the better climbers on the steeps, and nearly kept up with one of the main men on the steepest one. Afterwards I realised he was on a single-gear setup. I was even getting burned off by the 13 or 14-year old who was so skinny that his lycra shorts were baggy - but Geraint turned out quite good so I don't feel so bad about that now.
Any Cyclists? on 12:40 - May 12 with 1348 viewshovehoop

Any Cyclists? on 12:06 - May 12 by Newhopphoops

20 years ago I spent six weeks pootling round Europe, doing around 60 to 90 miles most days, sleeping between b&bs and a bivvy bag. It was great.

When I got back i decided to join a club to take advantage of being as in top shape - I was super light but needed to buy new jeans as my thighs had ballooned. So I joined a local club in Cardiff for their "relaxed" offseason Sunday morning rides.

I was by some way the fattest and least fit person there. The first day i bonked on about the sixth hill, and was pushed up by a guy of no more than seven stone who was banging on about energy supplements while my legs hung lifeless below me.

The second day was fast and fun peleton riding till we turned back towards town, then it was every man for himself into a monster headwind and rain for the last 25 miles. I made it at walking pace.

I was among the better climbers on the steeps, and nearly kept up with one of the main men on the steepest one. Afterwards I realised he was on a single-gear setup. I was even getting burned off by the 13 or 14-year old who was so skinny that his lycra shorts were baggy - but Geraint turned out quite good so I don't feel so bad about that now.

Great story riding with Geraint.

A friend (who's very good) was sitting in the pub recalling how he used to beat Chris Hoy. Then is wife piped up that Hoy was only 14 at the time while he was a grown man! His story had all of 2 seconds air time before his wife spoiled it.
Any Cyclists? on 13:09 - May 12 with 1325 views2Thomas2Bowles

Any Cyclists? on 12:40 - May 12 by hovehoop

A friend (who's very good) was sitting in the pub recalling how he used to beat Chris Hoy. Then is wife piped up that Hoy was only 14 at the time while he was a grown man! His story had all of 2 seconds air time before his wife spoiled it.

Biatch!!

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Any Cyclists? on 13:19 - May 12 with 1319 viewsNewhopphoops

Any Cyclists? on 12:40 - May 12 by hovehoop

At least he had beaten him! I didn't see baby-G for dust.
Any Cyclists? on 13:20 - May 12 with 1311 views2Thomas2Bowles

Brain, I'm deeply concerned about the security of this said bike, let me send my security guy around to check... What's the address?

*if you fall off it's your own damn fault, don't come crying to me.... mate*

Any Cyclists? on 13:46 - May 12 with 1285 viewsR_from_afar

Good on you Brian.

My road bike was manufactured in 1989 but I have had the frame refurbished (thank you Argos Cycles, you rock) so it doesn't look its age (unlike me LOL). The bike had started to look tatty but there was nothing functionally wrong with it, plus I have a strong emotional attachment to it, having ridden it over the alps on a cycle camping trip between Grenoble and Nice (a long while ago; I nicknamed that 8 day trip "suicide ride '90") and up to the top of the Albula Pass (over 2300 metres high). My mate has done the Stelvio Pass, though, which is way higher, so, I'll move on...

When I was planning my cycling holidays, this book was a huge inspiration. Most people probably think Nick Crane, a presenter on the BBC's "Coast," is a wimpy old nerd but he was hardcore back in the day and he and his cousin rode over the Himalayas and across the Gobi desert to the furthest point from the sea in the world. Unsupported. With no mobile or satellite 'phone. Madness. The pic of them waking up in their bivvy bags in the middle of the Gobi is astonishing, just two blokes and two bikes in a sandy, gravelly expanse of nothingness. The chapter on weight saving is fascinating; they cut straps off their panniers, drilled holes in tools and even dispensed with front gear changers, using their feet to move the chain instead.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-Centre-Earth-Richard-Crane/dp/0593012917/ref=sr

Most of my cycling is now around town and on rollers. My Minoura rollers have been amazing and I do a half an hour session on them 2 or 3 times a week.

Have fun, fellow cyclists, but no jumping lights etc!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Any Cyclists? on 13:49 - May 12 with 1281 viewsdolcelatte

The 312 is on my list.. It is the descents that take it out of you - so much concentration if you want to take them fast..

I prefer the Alps but the downside is the mountains tend to be further apart. Last time we went to the Pyrenees we were based just outside the religious Las Vegas (Lourdes) and it was great - you could easily do 3/4 mountains a day and have lunch half way round. They are much closer together - The Tourmalet is a very long mountain - people don't realise you start climbing a long way before you even hit the official start of it - 17 miles in all..

Majorca is great for cycling, The Sa Calobra is an absolute must - all over Europe the law is if you hit a cyclist it is the vehicles fault regardless of actual blame, hence why you get such a wide birth.

Forgot my wattbike in the last list...

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Any Cyclists? on 14:01 - May 12 with 1270 viewsR_from_afar

Any Cyclists? on 13:49 - May 12 by dolcelatte

The 312 is on my list.. It is the descents that take it out of you - so much concentration if you want to take them fast..

I prefer the Alps but the downside is the mountains tend to be further apart. Last time we went to the Pyrenees we were based just outside the religious Las Vegas (Lourdes) and it was great - you could easily do 3/4 mountains a day and have lunch half way round. They are much closer together - The Tourmalet is a very long mountain - people don't realise you start climbing a long way before you even hit the official start of it - 17 miles in all..

Majorca is great for cycling, The Sa Calobra is an absolute must - all over Europe the law is if you hit a cyclist it is the vehicles fault regardless of actual blame, hence why you get such a wide birth.

If you cycle to the top of the Col de la Bonette (altitude 2802m) in the French Alps, you then have a 110km downhill ride all the way to the Med.

I haven't done it, a mate and I considered it years ago when cycling nearby but we would've needed to cross the 2000m + Col des Champs just to get to the road to the pass, so we did the Col d'Allos instead.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Any Cyclists? on 14:40 - May 12 with 1230 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First spin done.

A loop of 11.3 km on edge of the city. Flat, sunny and no wind. Won't get many days like that.

Averaged 23.5km/ph for a time of 29.00 minutes which beat my target for today.

Frustrating for the kid on the trike trying to pass me out, though.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Any Cyclists? on 14:48 - May 12 with 1219 viewscolinallcars

The worst incident I had on a bike was cycling home from work in Paddington when someone threw a coat hanger at me - one of those cheap wire ones that they give you in dry cleaners. It didn't do me any harm but it bounced off my head and got jammed between the gear cogs. I must have looked at someone the wrong way I guess.
Any Cyclists? on 14:50 - May 12 with 1216 viewshovehoop

Any Cyclists? on 13:49 - May 12 by dolcelatte

Yes, I couldn't believe the concentration needed downhill because you accelerate so quickly off the brakes. Little rock chippings and sometimes unexpected water running off a hillside that you have to dodge/think about. Plus, it was my first proper outing on disc brakes and one of them was a bit 'grabby' for my liking. Was my own fault as should have put on new pads a few weeks before.

Plodded up Sa Colobra in Sept 2018 and loved it. But starting the climb in the midday sun was a mistake. My son rode on ahead then came back down to meet me! I was pretty cooked and enjoyed a drink at the top. Stayed in a great spot called Hotel Duva, which was on road to Col de Femenia so we were well placed for touring.

But, I think one of the nicest rides was a loop through the middle of the area and up Col de sa Batalla, because it's so nicely forested and up to the petrol station and then down Femenia via lluc monastery. Also, loved the Tramuntana mountain scenery.

Will remember the Lourdes option thanks.

I'd love a Wattbike but can't justify the cost - yet. My son is about to get a new Wahoo Kickr but there's a backlog since lockdown. I'm hoping to get some use of that when he's not using it. Plus, don't really want to mount a carbon frame on a turbo trainer but no choice really. A nodding acquaintance has cracked his frame doing just that.
Any Cyclists? on 14:54 - May 12 with 1207 views2Thomas2Bowles

Any Cyclists? on 14:40 - May 12 by BrianMcCarthy

First spin done.

A loop of 11.3 km on edge of the city. Flat, sunny and no wind. Won't get many days like that.

Averaged 23.5km/ph for a time of 29.00 minutes which beat my target for today.

Frustrating for the kid on the trike trying to pass me out, though.

I see what you did there making the numbers look bigger

Old money 7ml in 30 mins as 14mph

My tortuous can run faster than that

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024