Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Cyclists? 20:19 - May 11 with 16226 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The search for a new sport continues... I've bought a bike.

Basic enough bike for now as I haven't cycled much since I was a teenager.

All tips gratefully received!

https://www.360cycles.ie/genesis-delta-30-shimano-105-2020-black-orange.html?id=

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Any Cyclists? on 14:57 - May 12 with 1493 viewshovehoop

Any Cyclists? on 14:40 - May 12 by BrianMcCarthy

First spin done.

A loop of 11.3 km on edge of the city. Flat, sunny and no wind. Won't get many days like that.

Averaged 23.5km/ph for a time of 29.00 minutes which beat my target for today.

Frustrating for the kid on the trike trying to pass me out, though.

Well done. Keeping getting out.
Any Cyclists? on 14:59 - May 12 with 1490 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Any Cyclists? on 14:54 - May 12 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I see what you did there making the numbers look bigger

Old money 7ml in 30 mins as 14mph

My tortuous can run faster than that

Oh ya, it overtook me on the home straight. Nippy bastid.

Any Cyclists? on 15:01 - May 12 with 1482 views2Thomas2Bowles

Any Cyclists? on 14:59 - May 12 by BrianMcCarthy

Oh ya, it overtook me on the home straight. Nippy bastid.

Well take your hands off the brakes next time and skip the chip shop on the way home

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Any Cyclists? on 15:08 - May 12 with 1469 views2Thomas2Bowles

Back in my day, we use to cycle a cannon uphill to the pit, none of this half a gram aluminum nonsense nowadays.

Hell of a trip back home mind

Any Cyclists? on 15:20 - May 12 with 1456 viewshovehoop

Any Cyclists? on 13:46 - May 12 by R_from_afar

Good on you Brian.

My road bike was manufactured in 1989 but I have had the frame refurbished (thank you Argos Cycles, you rock) so it doesn't look its age (unlike me LOL). The bike had started to look tatty but there was nothing functionally wrong with it, plus I have a strong emotional attachment to it, having ridden it over the alps on a cycle camping trip between Grenoble and Nice (a long while ago; I nicknamed that 8 day trip "suicide ride '90") and up to the top of the Albula Pass (over 2300 metres high). My mate has done the Stelvio Pass, though, which is way higher, so, I'll move on...

When I was planning my cycling holidays, this book was a huge inspiration. Most people probably think Nick Crane, a presenter on the BBC's "Coast," is a wimpy old nerd but he was hardcore back in the day and he and his cousin rode over the Himalayas and across the Gobi desert to the furthest point from the sea in the world. Unsupported. With no mobile or satellite 'phone. Madness. The pic of them waking up in their bivvy bags in the middle of the Gobi is astonishing, just two blokes and two bikes in a sandy, gravelly expanse of nothingness. The chapter on weight saving is fascinating; they cut straps off their panniers, drilled holes in tools and even dispensed with front gear changers, using their feet to move the chain instead.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-Centre-Earth-Richard-Crane/dp/0593012917/ref=sr

Most of my cycling is now around town and on rollers. My Minoura rollers have been amazing and I do a half an hour session on them 2 or 3 times a week.

Have fun, fellow cyclists, but no jumping lights etc!

That's dedication restoring the old bike.

I kept a late 90s Principia in anodised blue for sentimental reasons. But, it's a pretty aggressive setup. Narrow bars, 23mm tyres, big saddle to handlebar drop and 39/23 smallest gear. My current road bike is like riding a sofa by comparison and I'm a convert to 28mm tyres!

Advent of compact, semi-compact gearing was sniffed at 20 years ago but it's been a great thing to broaden the appeal.
Any Cyclists? on 15:27 - May 12 with 1449 viewskensalriser

I'm still riding my 1983 road bike, originally bought at the long extinct Bell St Bikes off Lisson Grove. It is a bit like the original old gardening fork that's had three new blades and four new handles, but the frame is original save for the top tube which was replaced in the 90s after it broke. That was an interesting moment, luckily I wasn't going too fast. Ditto when the handlebars broke in action.

The best thing about it is that it's never been nicked and probably won't be as long as it's the scruffiest and oldest looking bike on the rack.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Any Cyclists? on 15:42 - May 12 with 1437 viewshovehoop

Any Cyclists? on 14:54 - May 12 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I see what you did there making the numbers look bigger

Old money 7ml in 30 mins as 14mph

My tortuous can run faster than that

We all do that. It's a European thing. 😃 Slightly better for the ego too!
Any Cyclists? on 16:50 - May 12 with 1401 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Ditto what others have said, always assume someone is going to pull out in front of you or do something especially if the weather conditions are bad.

After a while it becomes a kind of 6th sense.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Any Cyclists? on 08:16 - May 13 with 1321 viewsKonk

Any Cyclists? on 14:40 - May 12 by BrianMcCarthy

First spin done.

A loop of 11.3 km on edge of the city. Flat, sunny and no wind. Won't get many days like that.

Averaged 23.5km/ph for a time of 29.00 minutes which beat my target for today.

Frustrating for the kid on the trike trying to pass me out, though.

Did you enjoy your ride, Brian? (So to speak)

One other thing worth mentioning - tires. It could be that I've been lucky so far, but I've used Scwalbe Marathon Plus (I think) tires since gettig my bike, and I've had one puncture in 7 years (and that was the world's biggest bastar d of a nail). Other brands/models obviously available, but if you're not someone who particularly enjoys mending punctures/changing inner tubes, then something to consider.

Enjoy your bike.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Any Cyclists? on 08:23 - May 13 with 1315 views2Thomas2Bowles

Brian's first trip caught on camera

Any Cyclists? on 08:24 - May 13 with 1313 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Any Cyclists? on 08:16 - May 13 by Konk

Did you enjoy your ride, Brian? (So to speak)

One other thing worth mentioning - tires. It could be that I've been lucky so far, but I've used Scwalbe Marathon Plus (I think) tires since gettig my bike, and I've had one puncture in 7 years (and that was the world's biggest bastar d of a nail). Other brands/models obviously available, but if you're not someone who particularly enjoys mending punctures/changing inner tubes, then something to consider.

Enjoy your bike.

It was a blast, Konk. Thanks. I'll head out again today after the gym, if the legs are up to it.

Ya, good point about the tires. I hated fixing punctures as a kid. Is there a downside to those tyres, Konk - more friction, harder pedaling?

Any Cyclists? on 08:40 - May 13 with 1288 viewsKonk

Any Cyclists? on 08:24 - May 13 by BrianMcCarthy

It was a blast, Konk. Thanks. I'll head out again today after the gym, if the legs are up to it.

Ya, good point about the tires. I hated fixing punctures as a kid. Is there a downside to those tyres, Konk - more friction, harder pedaling?

I couldn't tell you, but I can't say I've noticed any downside. One of the more knowledgeable/serious cyclists could advise you on that. They're a pain on the ars e to get on/off, but 1 puncture to date for me makes that a very small price to pay. I chose mine after considering the sort of riding I do, speaking with mates who cycle a lot and looking at various cycling forums/reviews.

Glad you enjoyed your ride - I only get an hour most days as I like/need to be back for when my son wakes up at 7am, but it's such a treat.

Any Cyclists? on 09:24 - May 13 with 1269 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Any Cyclists? on 08:40 - May 13 by Konk

I couldn't tell you, but I can't say I've noticed any downside. One of the more knowledgeable/serious cyclists could advise you on that. They're a pain on the ars e to get on/off, but 1 puncture to date for me makes that a very small price to pay. I chose mine after considering the sort of riding I do, speaking with mates who cycle a lot and looking at various cycling forums/reviews.

Glad you enjoyed your ride - I only get an hour most days as I like/need to be back for when my son wakes up at 7am, but it's such a treat.

Thanks Konk.

Any Cyclists? on 09:38 - May 13 with 1265 viewsNewhopphoops

Any Cyclists? on 15:20 - May 12 by hovehoop

That's dedication restoring the old bike.

I kept a late 90s Principia in anodised blue for sentimental reasons. But, it's a pretty aggressive setup. Narrow bars, 23mm tyres, big saddle to handlebar drop and 39/23 smallest gear. My current road bike is like riding a sofa by comparison and I'm a convert to 28mm tyres!

Advent of compact, semi-compact gearing was sniffed at 20 years ago but it's been a great thing to broaden the appeal.

I always lusted after a Principia back in the 90s, are they still going? Lovely bikes.

This thread and other considerations are pushing me towards getting something new and retiring my old Specialized Epic. A couple of questions for those in the know:
- are disc brakes worth the weight and cost? I find them unattractive but would be doing a fair bit of technical descending (Alpine).
- is the step-up from 105 to ultegra (or equivalent) worth the cost?

I'd like to get something from a local shop and have a proper setup of the bike I'll be riding. This is the prettiest I've found, though stretching the budget.
Any Cyclists? on 09:40 - May 13 with 1262 viewsHayesender

Day three now riding into work, and my arse is killing me. Any advice?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Any Cyclists? on 09:48 - May 13 with 1256 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Any Cyclists? on 09:40 - May 13 by Hayesender

Don't go through Soho?

Any Cyclists? on 10:04 - May 13 with 1245 viewsKonk

Your saddle and your shorts/trousers will make a difference. I’ve got a Brooks saddle, which is amazingly comfortable, and I always wear some sort of padded shorts - usually just a pair of cycling “commuter” shorts.

Any Cyclists? on 10:07 - May 13 with 1243 viewsMrSheen

Any Cyclists? on 10:22 - May 13 with 1229 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Schwalbe Marathon are awesome tyres as Konk said.

I was getting a puncture every week near enough.

£60 investment no more changing inner tubes.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Any Cyclists? on 10:34 - May 13 with 1215 viewsJimmyR

Hi Brain,

A decent pair of cycling shorts is essential for me. I normally wear a normal pair of shorts over the top. I've basically got a motorcycle lock and don’t leave my bike anywhere public for more that 5 mins. Clippy shoes are better for your knees and make you push through the pedals with your calves
I've cycled to and from work in the city of london for years but on a mountain bike with slick tyres. The roads in london are pretty terrible and having a racing bike with thin tyres that forces you to look lower down scares the bejaysus out of me.

As others have said really expect everyone to pull out/not look where they are going. If you cycle anywhere with a lot of pedestrians its more a case actually watching them walk out in front of you. I am constantly amazed at the number of people who will walk out in the road without looking, 2nd only to people who do look but choose to walk out in front of you all the same?!? It’s a long time since stop. look and listen has been taught in schools here.

Ride safe!
[Post edited 13 May 2020 11:01]
Any Cyclists? on 11:22 - May 13 with 1177 viewstimcocking

Redressed my wounds again today. Absolute agony. Really nasty.
Any Cyclists? on 11:45 - May 13 with 1161 viewshovehoop

You're wearing padded shorts right? Or if you'd prefer not to, you can get padded liners to wear under your commuter trousers or shorts.

Takes a bit of time for the backside to toughen and if you're returning to cycling after a break maybe break it up a bit with days off between commuting rides - if possible.

I once went from a long time off the bike to 4 hour (and more) rides in prep for a coast to coast trail ride with 16 weeks prep time and the butt pain was murder for all of that time. I didn't leave enough time to adjust and got through 3 saddles during training prep and eventually did the c to c wearing 2 pairs of padded liners - which shouldn't have been necessary.
Any Cyclists? on 11:49 - May 13 with 1155 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I'm a keen cyclist. I've actually been using my bike less since the lockdown as not going into work so much (and usually walking when I do go in). Also used to visit my ageing parents 2/3 times a week before lockdown. They live a couple of miles away but only going once a week now (standing outside) and again not always on my bike.

I prefer a hybrid bike personally. Although I do most of my cycling on roads I don't like to be too restricted as sometimes go cross country. I can't really justify costs of having two bikes and would struggle for storage space anyway. I picked up my current Triban bike for about £180 9 years ago and it's been great value. Comfortable to ride, quick enough for my needs and not a target for thieves. I've been writing it off for a few years now but but it faithfully keeps on going. The Clint Hill of bikes you might say.

Not much to add safety wise. As a general rule I keep about a metre between myself and parked cars. I had someone swing their door open in front of me 6 months ago and was able to avoid it thankfully. If approaching a junction with a queue of cars I usually try to behave as a car would. So not weaving in and out or nipping through tight spaces. I go with the traffic. Having said that I'm not adverse to jumping up on a pavement for a short distance if it's safe to do so. Red lights I generally stop at but not if I think it's safe to proceed. I agree with Konk that there could be a bit of leeway for cyclists at red lights but can also see why there isn't. Just try to be responsible, as with most things. You're going to piss some drivers off no matter what you do.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 11:50]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Any Cyclists? on 11:58 - May 13 with 1142 viewskensalriser

Tires? TIRES?

Seriously, WTF?

Have a word with yourselves people.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Any Cyclists? on 12:02 - May 13 with 1133 viewshovehoop

Any Cyclists? on 08:40 - May 13 by Konk

Boils down to personal choice and trial and error.

Tyre width has changed a lot in recent years without necessarily resulting in compromise on speed. 20 years ago racers typically had 23mm tyres. Nowadays, 25mm is the new norm and Brian's bike has that size tyre. But you can also get 28mm for more comfort and ground contact and they go pretty fast. I've been using them for 4 years and more and more are now racing on them. The slightly fatter tyre takes less air and the theory is you enjoy better contact with the ground compared to a harder skinnier tyre that might bounce more on rough surfaces.

I had a pair of bald Scwalbe Pro One's. I loved them and went say 5200km without a puncture. I decided to try something else because the Schwalbe's have no obvious tread and could be a bit sketchy around damp bends. Replaced them with Vittoria Corsa's which are different because they include a graphene compound and are comparatively soft but they grip really well. The downside is I'm replacing them because the back tyre cut too easily and have had a couple of punctures. So, I'm reverting to Continental 5000s which is a newer supposed improvement on Continental 4000s which many riders have found to be bomproof (almost).

A tip when you do get a puncture, which you will, is don't just go at the tyre with levers trying to prise off a stubborn tyre. The tyre walls will have stuck a bit to the wheel rim. So before reaching for the tyre levers, use the palms of your hands and thumbs to push both sides of the tyre off the wheel rim while rotating the wheel in your hands. That will help releasing the tyre to get to the tube. Also, maybe consider getting a co2 rapid inflator that will fill your tyre to full pressure. That will get you home but the co2 migrates through the tyre and you'll need to replace it with air at home. Also, a track pump is an essential bit of kit and you can inflate the tyres to the right pressure for each ride.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024