Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Cyclists? 20:19 - May 11 with 16220 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The search for a new sport continues... I've bought a bike.

Basic enough bike for now as I haven't cycled much since I was a teenager.

All tips gratefully received!

https://www.360cycles.ie/genesis-delta-30-shimano-105-2020-black-orange.html?id=

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Any Cyclists? on 07:51 - Jul 27 with 2163 viewstkqpr

Thats just paradise for me on a bike. whereabout did you say that was?

Its weird cos theres 5/6 chaps that i bike with, or go on holiday cycling with, and non or them are into football, weird how the 2 sports dont cross over much, but quite refreshing.
Any Cyclists? on 08:02 - Jul 27 with 2155 viewsNewhopphoops

Any Cyclists? on 07:51 - Jul 27 by tkqpr

Thats just paradise for me on a bike. whereabout did you say that was?

Its weird cos theres 5/6 chaps that i bike with, or go on holiday cycling with, and non or them are into football, weird how the 2 sports dont cross over much, but quite refreshing.

It's called the Val d'Arly, between the Chamonix Valley and Albertville. Col des Aravis on one side, the southern end of the Mont Blanc massif on the other. Relatively speaking it dodges the tourist masses too. I work in Switzerland in the week and it always lifts my heart to get back here.

Football here is a distant thing, in the primary schools its all about the skiing, slalom every afternoon for those with promise.
Any Cyclists? on 09:43 - Jul 27 with 2101 viewslondonscottish

Any Cyclists? on 09:02 - May 12 by Konk

Yeah. That's good advice. And since the advent of smart phones, no fu cker under 50 seems to look up when they're crossing the road either. Some cyclists are also complete dic ks. Basically, assume that everyone else is about to do something stupid/dangerous. I've had a couple of near misses myself when I've been lost in my own thoughts, so I know how easily it's done.

I've spent 7 of the last 10 years cycling to work and find other cyclists can be fu.cking unpredictable & dangerous. And peds too (and, yes, I step out in front of bikes too). After that it's those Addision Lee people carrier things.

Basically, just assume that every other road user is about to kill you (usually not deliberately of course) and cycle accordingly.

FWIW since the 90's I've stuck to MTB's and hybrids. I grew up on bikes with dropped bars and don't miss the more cramped position - yes I know you can generate more speed and all that but hey ho. Plus I get to wear bike clothes that fit more loosely. LOL.

During lockdown I've been doing loads of cycling with the family. Two amazing tours of London with my boy plus lots of family stuff.

I've kept the bike rack on the car all summer and we've had two trips to Hertforshire, one to Wiltshire and am currently in Norfolk cycling round the north coast. Next month they're coming with us to La Vendee in W France.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Any Cyclists? on 09:52 - Jul 27 with 2091 viewsNewhopphoops

Any Cyclists? on 09:43 - Jul 27 by londonscottish

I've spent 7 of the last 10 years cycling to work and find other cyclists can be fu.cking unpredictable & dangerous. And peds too (and, yes, I step out in front of bikes too). After that it's those Addision Lee people carrier things.

Basically, just assume that every other road user is about to kill you (usually not deliberately of course) and cycle accordingly.

FWIW since the 90's I've stuck to MTB's and hybrids. I grew up on bikes with dropped bars and don't miss the more cramped position - yes I know you can generate more speed and all that but hey ho. Plus I get to wear bike clothes that fit more loosely. LOL.

During lockdown I've been doing loads of cycling with the family. Two amazing tours of London with my boy plus lots of family stuff.

I've kept the bike rack on the car all summer and we've had two trips to Hertforshire, one to Wiltshire and am currently in Norfolk cycling round the north coast. Next month they're coming with us to La Vendee in W France.

London without traffic is brilliant by bike, if you peddle aimlessly you end up in great places you've never even registered.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2020 9:52]
Any Cyclists? on 11:47 - Jul 27 with 2057 viewsDubaiR

I got a basic road bike for xmas, went with cleets and the special pedals etc, hard to get used too and resulted in falling off a few times, especially when having to stop at a junction. Used to them now. I only do 10 miles as don't like going on busy roads as some nobbish boyracers round here
Any Cyclists? on 12:05 - Jul 27 with 2049 viewsloftboy

Any Cyclists? on 09:52 - Jul 27 by Newhopphoops

London without traffic is brilliant by bike, if you peddle aimlessly you end up in great places you've never even registered.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2020 9:52]

On my day of the other week I cycled from plaistow to the Bank of England, then through the west end into Westminster, over Lambeth bridge back Over Westminster bridge, up the embankment to Tower Hill, down to wapping then back into the east end.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Any Cyclists? on 20:18 - Aug 15 with 1958 viewsJuzzie

Couldn’t find the ‘lycra clad cyclist’ thread so thought I’d put this on here. tee hee.

https://newsthump.com/2020/08/13/cyclist-repeatedly-fails-captcha-test-after-fai
Any Cyclists? on 23:35 - Aug 15 with 1925 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Any Cyclists? on 20:18 - Aug 15 by Juzzie

Couldn’t find the ‘lycra clad cyclist’ thread so thought I’d put this on here. tee hee.

https://newsthump.com/2020/08/13/cyclist-repeatedly-fails-captcha-test-after-fai

The new hate figures are the electric scooters.

The lights went green at the strand, I proceded up Alydwch at a steady pace and this scooter thought I was going to slow down after he crossed a red. Right in my path.

I carried on and said very calmly 'I strongly suggest you dont'

He took the hint and stopped. I'd already decided to ram him if he didn't.

Which I know makes me sound like a C**t but I dont care.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Any Cyclists? on 09:16 - Aug 16 with 1853 viewsizlingtonhoop

#1 son works in a Church Street bar, returning to my road bike this morning to come home after his shift he found the handlebars gone.

Spiteful.

Fu ck stoke Newington. - having said that, #2 son lost his back wheel when the pair of em worked in an Iz (clerkenwell) pub.

Oh yeh, i had my hybrid taken from outside the Canonbury Tavern seven years ago. Very posh.

I'm still using it today, after I clocked it being ridden, on the pavement, while smoking a fag, while I was waiting for a bus 🙄of course, on Essex Road.

I took it off the dickwad, whatever happened to don't shit on your own doorstep?
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 9:32]
Any Cyclists? on 09:27 - Aug 16 with 1843 views2Thomas2Bowles

They were selling them on Gumtree as well as SM sites
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 9:32]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Any Cyclists? on 09:44 - Aug 16 with 1826 views2Thomas2Bowles

Stolenride reporting

https://www.stolenride.co.uk/stolen-bikes-london/

Any Cyclists? on 10:05 - Aug 16 with 1808 viewsizlingtonhoop

Any Cyclists? on 09:44 - Aug 16 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Stolenride reporting

https://www.stolenride.co.uk/stolen-bikes-london/

#1 son says that since he's had this job - not yet two months - and is riding home at 2am, he often sees moped bandits two up in Highbury New Park*, the pillion carrying 'really smart bikes' over their shoulder...

*I mention that, cos that's where I work.
Any Cyclists? on 10:20 - Aug 16 with 1778 views2Thomas2Bowles

Any Cyclists? on 10:05 - Aug 16 by izlingtonhoop

#1 son says that since he's had this job - not yet two months - and is riding home at 2am, he often sees moped bandits two up in Highbury New Park*, the pillion carrying 'really smart bikes' over their shoulder...

*I mention that, cos that's where I work.

I know and have seen many owners using really cheap D locks (less than £50) and cables

But I think the thieves (none random) know how to get past better locks, cordless drills and cutters?

Not sure what the answer is.

Maybe some sort of build-in alarm connected to an app

Or one that can go into the frame somehow.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 10:26]

Any Cyclists? on 10:35 - Aug 16 with 1765 viewsizlingtonhoop

Any Cyclists? on 10:20 - Aug 16 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I know and have seen many owners using really cheap D locks (less than £50) and cables

But I think the thieves (none random) know how to get past better locks, cordless drills and cutters?

Not sure what the answer is.

Maybe some sort of build-in alarm connected to an app

Or one that can go into the frame somehow.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 10:26]

I had several bikes chipped at the Olympic cycle park, in Victoria park, during the games, one of which was the, later, stolen one mentioned above.

Cross thread link there - went to the Olympics on my bike, cos I lived close enough! NEVER for one moment imagined that would happen when I was collecting Esso Olympic stickers in 1972...

Anyway, I later heard that the cops had only one reader for the chips, in the entire Met.

Maybe apps these days, but they'd soon get round it I guess.

https://wharferj.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/munich-1972-olympic-sticker-book/

I pored over that book or hours and hours.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 10:43]
Any Cyclists? on 13:38 - Aug 16 with 1714 viewsNeil_SI

I'm late to the bike thread.

I've had my Brompton for many years, which I've always loved, but just before lockdown I bought a bike and Wahoo KickR Core Turbo Trainer so I could cycle indoors (as Turbo Trainers don't work with Brompton's).

I ended up buying a Pinnacle Laterite 3 2020, which is on the budget end I believe, but as I won't probably won't ever take this out on the street, it doesn't really matter (and also therefore not as worried about weight in this instance). It has a Shimano 105 22 Speed Drivetrain and works really well when paired with Zwift.

I'm not sure if anyone uses Zwift, but I've found it really enjoyable. I may replace the front wheel with a Wahoo KickR Climb too.

I've had a persistent bad back for years, as well as several problems with my hamstrings as a result, so I've found cycling has really helped me maintain some level of fitness. I can't really do sport any more, or even run much, as I have too many issues, so the low impact nature on the joints and restricted range of movement has been ideal.

For the lycra haters...

[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 13:44]
Any Cyclists? on 15:42 - Aug 16 with 1638 viewslarsricchi

Thought I'd chime in, not with any words of wisdom or claims of cycling knowledge, but to say that I bought a decent road bike a year ago, after 20-some years out of the saddle, and to date I've lost just over 28kg. (I could stand to lose another dozen, too. #NewGoal) I find it very addictive, the riding, but I can't quite bring myself to dress the part just yet!
Any Cyclists? on 16:20 - Aug 16 with 1620 viewsbollockchops

after an op on my back for sciatica ten years ago the physio said go cycling and no twinges since
Any Cyclists? on 16:20 - Aug 16 with 1620 viewsdanehoop

I can't unsee that Neil.....

Never knowingly understood

Any Cyclists? on 16:44 - Aug 16 with 1603 viewsNewhopphoops

I went for a pedal yesterday, chap coming the other way at a brisk old pace. I nod, as you do, he nods back - Egan Bernal.
Any Cyclists? on 09:12 - Aug 19 with 1470 viewsJuzzie

Any Cyclists? on 23:35 - Aug 15 by Metallica_Hoop

The lights went green at the strand, I proceded up Alydwch at a steady pace and this scooter thought I was going to slow down after he crossed a red. Right in my path.

Its not just scooter or cyclists either.... i get pedestrians just strolling nice and slowly across tne road while my light is in green. Are people really that arrogant that they’re happy to risk their life just for a few seconds of ‘power’ hit? It’s almost like a drug to some people.
Any Cyclists? on 09:52 - Aug 19 with 1440 viewstkqpr

Any Cyclists? on 16:44 - Aug 16 by Newhopphoops

I went for a pedal yesterday, chap coming the other way at a brisk old pace. I nod, as you do, he nods back - Egan Bernal.

Whereabouts was that?
Any Cyclists? on 10:09 - Aug 19 with 1430 viewsNewhopphoops

Any Cyclists? on 09:52 - Aug 19 by tkqpr

Whereabouts was that?

Near the route of the Criterium du Dauphine on Saturday. He'd dropped out with a bad back but was out testing it I guess.

In related news, Froome and Thomas won't be riding the Tour, which makes sense given their form.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-and-geraint-thomas-dropped-from-in

Roglic was looking strong favourite - he had a bad crash but should be fine in two weeks.

It was a bad weekend for crashes.

Edit: after this one last week on a ridiculous downhill finish.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 10:15]
Any Cyclists? on 17:53 - Aug 19 with 1372 viewsR_from_afar

Any Cyclists? on 23:35 - Aug 15 by Metallica_Hoop

Good on you for standing your ground!

It reminds me of a story about my old boss. He was a tall, arrogant, self-important tw@t who used to stride around the office like he was a cross between Gordon Gecko and Judge Dredd. He used to come up with all sorts of marketing strategies, or "Wheezes and scams as cunning as a bag of weasels" as he used to call them, and would say things like "I was just walking round the Sales department, being big". He loved his flipchart and would draw all sorts of diagrams on it with the flourishes and gestures of an old master. One day when he was on holiday, we got out that flipchart and regaled the whole office by loudly and sarcastically presenting his pompous and convoluted theories.

As I said, a complete and utter weapon.

Anyhow...he was also renowned for being thoughtless and impolite, never willing to hold the door open for anyone, to step aside or to thank people if they did anything considerate for him. He would just march round the office like he owned it. Then one day, he was walking down a narrow corridor between cubicles, just one person wide, when a bloke came round the corner going in the opposite direction.

My boss wasn't going to give way and just put his head down and kept going. Unfortunately, nor was the other bloke, and he was a spiky character, six foot two and a laddish but hard as nails type who also played football to a decent standard, as a goalkeeper. He wasn't going to give his quarter either and just keeping marching straight ahead...with the result that he shoulder barged my boss clean out of the way, like a bull monstering a matador. Pure poetry

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Any Cyclists? on 11:26 - Aug 20 with 1288 viewsizlingtonhoop

Any Cyclists? on 17:53 - Aug 19 by R_from_afar

Good on you for standing your ground!

It reminds me of a story about my old boss. He was a tall, arrogant, self-important tw@t who used to stride around the office like he was a cross between Gordon Gecko and Judge Dredd. He used to come up with all sorts of marketing strategies, or "Wheezes and scams as cunning as a bag of weasels" as he used to call them, and would say things like "I was just walking round the Sales department, being big". He loved his flipchart and would draw all sorts of diagrams on it with the flourishes and gestures of an old master. One day when he was on holiday, we got out that flipchart and regaled the whole office by loudly and sarcastically presenting his pompous and convoluted theories.

As I said, a complete and utter weapon.

Anyhow...he was also renowned for being thoughtless and impolite, never willing to hold the door open for anyone, to step aside or to thank people if they did anything considerate for him. He would just march round the office like he owned it. Then one day, he was walking down a narrow corridor between cubicles, just one person wide, when a bloke came round the corner going in the opposite direction.

My boss wasn't going to give way and just put his head down and kept going. Unfortunately, nor was the other bloke, and he was a spiky character, six foot two and a laddish but hard as nails type who also played football to a decent standard, as a goalkeeper. He wasn't going to give his quarter either and just keeping marching straight ahead...with the result that he shoulder barged my boss clean out of the way, like a bull monstering a matador. Pure poetry

'I don't agree with that in a workplace!"

Aaaaand, in looking that up to get it right, I discover Eric actually has his own linked in account.

https://uk.linkedin.com/public-profile/in/eric-hitchmough-6aa34190?challengeId=A

😁
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 11:38]
Any Cyclists? on 11:42 - Aug 20 with 1273 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I just bought a fluid roller to help me recover from a knee op.

Do any of you have one? Mine's a Qubo Fluid Elite.

What's the best app for training/virtual cycling and how does it work if the front wheel is stationary e.g. how does it back up my (virtual) speed?

All help, as ever, gratefully recieved!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024