Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Championship South and North 21:11 - May 18 with 1911 viewsGloucs_R

Following on from the possible merger of L2 and Conference...

The Championship would be a really competitive League and also help out a lot of smaller clubs.

South could look like...

Birmingham City
Brentford
Bristol City
Cardiff City
Charlton Athletic
Fulham
Luton Town
Millwall
Queens Park Rangers
Reading
Swansea City
West Bromwich Albion
AFC Wimbledon
Bristol Rovers
Coventry City
Gillingham
Ipswich Town
Milton Keynes Dons
Oxford United
Peterborough United
Portsmouth
Southend United
Wycombe Wanderers
Shrewsbury

Some really good, local, days out there...

Poll: Are we staying up?

Championship South and North on 23:49 - May 18 with 1760 viewsPeterHucker

As a QPR fan now living in the north can I just say I think this is dreadful idea.
Championship South and North on 00:03 - May 19 with 1743 viewsstowmarketrange

Championship South and North on 23:49 - May 18 by PeterHucker

As a QPR fan now living in the north can I just say I think this is dreadful idea.

I agree with you mate.No more weekends in Newcastle or similar places.And we’d get to travel to the same grounds year after year.Not for me thanks.
And I was looking forward to using my over 60’s railcard to get some bargains from next season too.
Championship South and North on 07:18 - May 19 with 1656 viewsGloucs_R

Championship South and North on 23:49 - May 18 by PeterHucker

I sympathize but less traveling for the majority would be good for attendances, finances, the environment and potentially peopled health.

Championship South and North on 07:43 - May 19 with 1635 viewsNewhopphoops

How about an "apertura" half season up to Christmas, playing every southern team once. Then the "chiusura" with the top half north and south playing each other once each for a place in the playoffs, and the rest playing each other once to avoid relegation (as now).

That way the romantics still get their January Tuesday nights up north.
Championship South and North on 08:45 - May 19 with 1563 viewsdaveB

i think it would make sense in league 1 and 2 but less so in the championship.
Championship South and North on 09:33 - May 19 with 1505 viewsNorthernr

Fairly significant fall in quality compared to the league we're in now.
Championship South and North on 09:51 - May 19 with 1458 viewsslmrstid

I've mentioned it on here on a separate thread recently, but I do think the idea of this country having 5 national football leagues before you get to regional level is pretty bonkers, given the size of the country as a whole and its comparison to other, much larger countires (Germany has 3, France 3, Spain 2, Italy 2 etc...) and the size of the clubs in the 4th/5th tiers and the amount of money they must spend on travel each year.

To go immediately regional below the Premiership wouldn't be appropriate, and would also in my opinion lead to the league becoming a bit stale. If you retained the 3 up/3 down approach one of the regional Championship leagues would only have 1 team going up in a year, which is quite disincentivising to everyone else.

I think there is a very good argument for the country being regionalised below League One (so 4th tier onwards) but to do it from the 2nd tier down would be counter-productive.
Championship South and North on 10:07 - May 19 with 1427 viewsBrianMcCarthy

It would be a huge disadvantage to us to stop playing the trick Northern away games we traditionally struggle with. We need to keep playing them so as to challenge ourselves. If we stopped, then we'd get blown away if we had to then play them once we got promoted.

Northern travel must be a fairly insignificant cost for clubs when compared to wages and transfers. I don't see the problem.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Championship South and North on 10:27 - May 19 with 1386 viewsWatford_Ranger

Championship South and North on 10:07 - May 19 by BrianMcCarthy

It would be a huge disadvantage to us to stop playing the trick Northern away games we traditionally struggle with. We need to keep playing them so as to challenge ourselves. If we stopped, then we'd get blown away if we had to then play them once we got promoted.

Northern travel must be a fairly insignificant cost for clubs when compared to wages and transfers. I don't see the problem.

Are we worse away up north? Feels like we’re worse in London if anything and just generally when there’s a decent, expectant following.
Championship South and North on 10:46 - May 19 with 1369 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Championship South and North on 10:27 - May 19 by Watford_Ranger

Are we worse away up north? Feels like we’re worse in London if anything and just generally when there’s a decent, expectant following.

Fair point, maybe I'm thinking of my days following us up North when we were usually lightweight!

Still, I think we need to play at the highest level and experience all types of challenges.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Championship South and North on 13:04 - May 19 with 1243 viewsGloucs_R

Championship South and North on 09:33 - May 19 by Northernr

Fairly significant fall in quality compared to the league we're in now.

Of course, as you have a load of League 1 clubs there...

Which could work in our favour.

Champions go up
Second place play off with Northern team

Anyway, the idea was that it fixes some short term problems.

I think we'll send up seeing regional leagues and aPrem 1 and 2 at some stage
[Post edited 19 May 2020 13:05]

Championship South and North on 14:22 - May 19 with 1168 viewsterryb

Championship South and North on 13:04 - May 19 by Gloucs_R

Champions go up

We will see. It has always been the clubs that didn't want regionalisation to return & I don'r see that it would have a great effect on finances.

It would still take Colchester longer to travel to Plymouth than to reach Scotland!
Championship South and North on 14:59 - May 19 with 1141 viewsDavieQPR

This is like the old 3rd Division South and 3rd Division South. Only the top in each division were promoted and some teams yo yoed between depending on who got relegated. With the improvement regards travel it was no longer deemed necessary and the clubs did not want it.
Championship South and North on 15:35 - May 19 with 1112 viewsCamberleyR

Championship South and North on 14:59 - May 19 by DavieQPR

This is like the old 3rd Division South and 3rd Division South. Only the top in each division were promoted and some teams yo yoed between depending on who got relegated. With the improvement regards travel it was no longer deemed necessary and the clubs did not want it.

Only the champions going up from Div 3 North & South was one of the reasons along with the better road links emerging in the late 50s/60s that they were scrapped.

Back then you had to feel for teams that slogged all season for 46 games knowing that only the champions went up, nothing at all for 2nd. In 1956/57 Torquay missed out on the Div 3 South title on goal average to Alf Ramsey's Ipswich. A season later after finishing 21st they were going to be playing in the first season of Division 4 and have never got anywhere near to the second level again.

Five seasons later Ipswich went on to win the 1st division which led to Alf Ramsey getting the England job. How different English football history may have been.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Championship South and North on 18:45 - May 19 with 1055 viewsTGRRRSSS

NO not for me, it won't work really and I think people would get bpred rather quickly constantly playing the likes of Wycombe and Luton etc.

Not bad looking at ideas but I don't see the value of this for anyone.

I can't see the TV or Sponsors going for it either somehow.

Conference North and South kind of work where you get crows often of no more than a thousand.
Championship South and North on 19:21 - May 19 with 1025 viewsNorthernr

Champions go up

I hope not, if only because PL1 and PL2 would quickly mean no relegation and promotion from PL2 to whatever was below. No shock that it was always Bolton and Phil Gartside pushing that hardest, because he knew the club were in it up to their tits if they ever did get relegated - as has transpired.
Championship South and North on 20:29 - May 19 with 980 viewsenfieldargh

Champions go up

yes a play off with Northern's team is defo right

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Championship South and North on 22:40 - May 19 with 939 viewsswitchingcode

Some really good local days out Where ?apart from what we already have
Championship South and North on 22:54 - May 19 with 916 viewsLythamR

I think its an appalling idea, it immediately brands the division as regional instead of national and would reduce the respect and reputation of the championship in both national and international TV audiences along with subsequent revenues
Championship South and North on 23:49 - May 19 with 889 viewsstowmarketrange

Championship South and North on 15:35 - May 19 by CamberleyR

Only the champions going up from Div 3 North & South was one of the reasons along with the better road links emerging in the late 50s/60s that they were scrapped.

Back then you had to feel for teams that slogged all season for 46 games knowing that only the champions went up, nothing at all for 2nd. In 1956/57 Torquay missed out on the Div 3 South title on goal average to Alf Ramsey's Ipswich. A season later after finishing 21st they were going to be playing in the first season of Division 4 and have never got anywhere near to the second level again.

Five seasons later Ipswich went on to win the 1st division which led to Alf Ramsey getting the England job. How different English football history may have been.

It also ensured that we never got relegated to the 4th division of league football despite finishing bottom of the league on a few occasions.Unlike our middx and Fulham friends.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024