Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boozers 16:04 - Jun 29 with 9309 viewscolinallcars

Pubs allowed to reopen July 4th, what plans have we all ? It seems none of my favourite pubs are due to reopen any time soon.
I had an email from Fullers with a list of pubs due to open, mostly large ones obviously.
We are all used to queueing outside shops but of course the queue moves quickly. Will people be queueing outside pubs at opening time ? Most people spend an hour or two in a pub, so we could be outside for ages.😦
Boozers on 11:07 - Jun 30 with 1751 viewsKonk

My guess is that early on, the bulk of people going to pubs will be 18-35 at the weekends and Wed-Thu, with older people going for a midweek pint in the afternoon. That's my plan.

Most of my friends spend half their lives in pubs, but no-one seems in any rush to get back into one at the moment. I know they need our support, so we've been doing vouchers and take-away pints, but I just don't see it being relaxing until they've had a chance to figure things out from experience.

If I had a pub, I reckon I'd do it like restaurant. Bookings of 2 hour slots - if the pub's full, someone on the door lets people know when they try and get in, if there's an empty slot for 1hr minimum, then let them in on the understanding that they have to leave at whatever time the table is next booked for. If your 2 hour slot is up and there's no-one waiting outside, you can stay another hour. That might be a terrible idea, but I reckon it would give you a chance to keep a turnover of regular punters, so as many different people as possible got to visit your pub, would stop people getting frustrated if they'd queued outside for ages, during which time no-one's left the pub or if not enough people had left for your whole group to be allowed inside.

Our local brewery have had the busiest period ever - they've gone for the "Sports Direct" approach, so they're selling draught beer for takeaway in growlers or bottles at 1/2 price - keeping everything ticking over, supporting their suppliers, but making bugger-all profit. They want to keep the brewery busy, protect or expand their market share and worry about profit once things have calmed down. My wife works in food manufacturing and reckons that's a sensible approach.

Under normal circumstances, I would sooner be in a pub, but at the moment, I'm gonna continue sitting in the garden having my beer fresh from the brewery.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Boozers on 11:52 - Jun 30 with 1680 viewsLblock

Boozers on 16:54 - Jun 29 by MickS

Which pub Lb? The Queens Head is ok; avoid The Metropolitan because it smells of damp trousers.

Sensible choice would be The Red Lion in Hillingdon, half a mile out of town, if you don’t know the area.

Swan and Bottle on the river/canal is ok.

Swan & Bottle is the place we're looking at Mick...... job we're doing is on the Office Park across the road.

I'm here at the moment and see the S&B is open from Monday next week.

Looks a nice pub from outside and not one I've tried before.
Many a year and many a hair follicle has past since I drank in Uxbridge last.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Boozers on 12:26 - Jun 30 with 1643 viewsMickS

Boozers on 11:52 - Jun 30 by Lblock

Swan & Bottle is the place we're looking at Mick...... job we're doing is on the Office Park across the road.

It’s pretty decent - food is hit and miss and if it’s no good you are a stroll from the town centre.
Boozers on 13:06 - Jun 30 with 1597 viewspaulparker

Watched Eubank vs benn 2 in the swan & bottle many,many moons ago ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Boozers on 13:25 - Jun 30 with 1575 viewsTopCat34

Can't think of a more clinical obliteration of everything I like about the pub than having your time capped in the pub, your drinks limited, a man pointing a temperate gun at my head on entry and an army of "bookings". It all sounds like if you have to do this, you're probably opening them too early.

I'll be there on Saturday afternoon, mind.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 13:26]
Boozers on 13:38 - Jun 30 with 1539 viewsrobith

Another thing - opening pubs on a Saturday is really really unfair to pub staff
Boozers on 13:45 - Jun 30 with 1524 viewsKonk

Boozers on 13:25 - Jun 30 by TopCat34

Can't think of a more clinical obliteration of everything I like about the pub than having your time capped in the pub, your drinks limited, a man pointing a temperate gun at my head on entry and an army of "bookings". It all sounds like if you have to do this, you're probably opening them too early.

I'll be there on Saturday afternoon, mind.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 13:26]

It's not how I'd especially want to experience a pub and I don't like having a table for a fixed couple of hours in a restaurant either, but I reckon it would make life easier for people working in pubs, everyone would know where they stood and it might limit the amount of pi ssed-up twa ts giving staff grief over whether they can/can't get into an already busy pub or people getting the hump because they've been stood outside waiting whilst they can see people sat inside nursing a pint for three hours. I would rather know a pub was "fully-booked" by giving them a bell and seeing if they could slot us in, than walk a couple of miles and find out that all the pubs I wanted to go to were full to capacity. As a short/medium-term measure, I wouldn't have an issue with it under the current circumstances.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 14:00]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Boozers on 16:12 - Jun 30 with 1444 viewsqpr_1968

mrs is having her hair done in uxbridge next Wednesday, so i'll be on the hunt for a decent pub there for at least 3 hours.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Login to get fewer ads

Boozers on 16:39 - Jun 30 with 1414 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I’m working until about 6 on Saturday then going for dinner at someones house. I’ll have a look in my local about 8-8.30 and see what it’s like. If it looks too busy I might just get a takeout like I have been throughout lockdown.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 16:57]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Boozers on 17:24 - Jun 30 with 1370 viewsDrewster

I read the rules on what you can and can’t do at pubs from this weekend. Over complicated rules such as mixing with only your bubble and 1 other household but at 2 metres apart but if that can’t be maintained then mitigation down to 1 metre.
All sounds too complicated and fraught with misinterpretation and mixed with a few pints, likely to be carnage.
I can’t be ars@d if I’m honest, would rather wait until I can go on my terms rather than booking a slot.
Add to that my other half has just started 3 months of chemotherapy and she is high risk, so going out to pubs is a no no for both of us until October probably. Hopefully by then things might be back to normal...
Boozers on 17:47 - Jun 30 with 1350 viewsDavieQPR

The reason they didn't open the pubs midweek is because of the absenteeism from work the following day when a lot of people have only just gone back.
Boozers on 08:51 - Jul 1 with 1244 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Boozers on 17:24 - Jun 30 by Drewster

I read the rules on what you can and can’t do at pubs from this weekend. Over complicated rules such as mixing with only your bubble and 1 other household but at 2 metres apart but if that can’t be maintained then mitigation down to 1 metre.
All sounds too complicated and fraught with misinterpretation and mixed with a few pints, likely to be carnage.
I can’t be ars@d if I’m honest, would rather wait until I can go on my terms rather than booking a slot.
Add to that my other half has just started 3 months of chemotherapy and she is high risk, so going out to pubs is a no no for both of us until October probably. Hopefully by then things might be back to normal...

Best of luck to your partner, Drewster.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Boozers on 09:53 - Jul 1 with 1202 viewstraininvain

Boozers on 17:24 - Jun 30 by Drewster

Sorry to hear about your partner and hope all goes well with the treatment.

Just to note they are guidelines not rules. Pubs, bars and restaurants will have to decide how best to operate based upon the guidelines. Obviously if they take the p1ss and throw parties with hundreds of people then the police will intervene.

But pubs (not police) won’t be checking to ensure you’re only mixing with people in your bubble or bring out the tape measure to make sure you’re keeping 1m distance. That’d be impossible to police so customers (I.e. us) will need to behave responsibly.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 9:53]
Boozers on 09:59 - Jul 1 with 1194 viewsThe_Beast1976

Boozers on 09:53 - Jul 1 by traininvain

Sorry to hear about your partner and hope all goes well with the treatment.

Just to note they are guidelines not rules. Pubs, bars and restaurants will have to decide how best to operate based upon the guidelines. Obviously if they take the p1ss and throw parties with hundreds of people then the police will intervene.

But pubs (not police) won’t be checking to ensure you’re only mixing with people in your bubble or bring out the tape measure to make sure you’re keeping 1m distance. That’d be impossible to police so customers (I.e. us) will need to behave responsibly.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 9:53]

I think you've got little to no chance of customers behaving responsibly in the majority of pubs. Will just be p!ssed up people clambering all over eachother and getting the hump with staff because they can't do certain things, have to queue, etc, etc. If they really wanted to open the pubs (and I'm not sure it's a great idea right now) then perhaps they should have banned alcohol sales for the first few weeks and see how things are looking then.

Also, sorry to hear about Drewster's other half. Hope chemo goes as well as it can. Probably best to avoid pubs for the foreseeable
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 10:00]
Boozers on 10:08 - Jul 1 with 1178 viewstraininvain

Boozers on 09:59 - Jul 1 by The_Beast1976

I think you've got little to no chance of customers behaving responsibly in the majority of pubs. Will just be p!ssed up people clambering all over eachother and getting the hump with staff because they can't do certain things, have to queue, etc, etc. If they really wanted to open the pubs (and I'm not sure it's a great idea right now) then perhaps they should have banned alcohol sales for the first few weeks and see how things are looking then.

Also, sorry to hear about Drewster's other half. Hope chemo goes as well as it can. Probably best to avoid pubs for the foreseeable

Sounds good in theory but pubs simply wouldn’t open if they banned alcohol sales. The costs involved in reopening are not insignificant (restocking, any changes such as glass screens, staff training etc) and as soon as venues reopen they would be expected to pay rent (unless owned freehold) and other costs such as staff, electricity, gas etc.

Unfortunately it’s just not viable for pubs to reopen without selling alcohol. It’s unclear whether it’ll be viable even selling alcohol at the moment as we don’t know whether enough people will return. E.g. venues in central London have limited office workers and no tourists so they’re probably unviable at present.

Hard times for the sector so please support your local if you can.
Boozers on 10:09 - Jul 1 with 1178 viewsqprxtc

I would love to go back to The Pav this weekend but I don’t think I will. The main reason being that they’re not opening yet.

But when and if they do, it won’t be a relaxing time will it, given all the restrictions in place. The Pav was never the greatest place to go if you fancied good customer service or not spend half an hour at the bar waiting for a pint. But it’s my local and I want to see it survive.

Going on there for a time restricted session where I can’t get off my seat or raise my voice when pissed seems pretty pointless. And god only knows how they’re going to manage the khazi! It’s a river in there on the good days.

The beer garden will be restricted And although The Pav itself is huge, the beer garden isn’t.

All that adds up to a massive pain in the arse. And I like to keep my arse pain free. Unless I can find a pub with a big beer garden nearby (The Queens Head in Brook Green maybe?), I’m going to keep on drinking in The XTC Arms and get my senses worked up in there.

What a kerfuffle.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 10:11]
Boozers on 10:19 - Jul 1 with 1162 viewsMick_S

Boozers on 09:59 - Jul 1 by The_Beast1976

There was a punch up in a pub car park in semi-rural Bucks last week. (The drinks, tables, temp bar etc have been moved outside). This is an extremely wealthy area. Non-locals were responsible; the pub responded by putting up the age requirements. I wouldn't touch a pub round my way that has young customers. Thankfully, where I go doesn't have the problem as the young ones are all well known and are drinking in the same place as their parents and other family members.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Boozers on 10:22 - Jul 1 with 1155 viewstraininvain

Boozers on 10:09 - Jul 1 by qprxtc

I would love to go back to The Pav this weekend but I don’t think I will. The main reason being that they’re not opening yet.

But when and if they do, it won’t be a relaxing time will it, given all the restrictions in place. The Pav was never the greatest place to go if you fancied good customer service or not spend half an hour at the bar waiting for a pint. But it’s my local and I want to see it survive.

Going on there for a time restricted session where I can’t get off my seat or raise my voice when pissed seems pretty pointless. And god only knows how they’re going to manage the khazi! It’s a river in there on the good days.

The beer garden will be restricted And although The Pav itself is huge, the beer garden isn’t.

All that adds up to a massive pain in the arse. And I like to keep my arse pain free. Unless I can find a pub with a big beer garden nearby (The Queens Head in Brook Green maybe?), I’m going to keep on drinking in The XTC Arms and get my senses worked up in there.

What a kerfuffle.

Fair enough. But please bear in mind that if everyone does the same we’ll be lucky to have many pubs left once this situation is over.

Not an easy situation as I understand people have health worries etc but the stone cold truth is that many pubs will close due to this pandemic. If you want to see your local survive then it’ll need customers to return in numbers.
Boozers on 12:17 - Jul 1 with 1103 viewscolinallcars

Boozers on 10:09 - Jul 1 by qprxtc

What a kerfuffle.

I haven't been past the Pav for a long time. I would have thought they could turn the car park into a temporary garden.
I remember the bog in the old public bar area was tiny. Never used the bog in the “posh end” there's a misnomer for you. I'm surprised they aren't opening, being the only pub left in the area.
Boozers on 12:26 - Jul 1 with 1089 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Boozers on 12:17 - Jul 1 by colinallcars

I haven't been past the Pav for a long time. I would have thought they could turn the car park into a temporary garden.
I remember the bog in the old public bar area was tiny. Never used the bog in the “posh end” there's a misnomer for you. I'm surprised they aren't opening, being the only pub left in the area.

I was talking to someone who runs a Fullers pub near me. He was saying the biggest problem they’ve got is with staff as all the bar staff have been furloughed. Pavillion is a Green King Pub so maybe they’ve got similar staffing issues.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Boozers on 12:40 - Jul 1 with 1067 viewsSonofNorfolt

Boozers on 10:19 - Jul 1 by Mick_S

There was a punch up in a pub car park in semi-rural Bucks last week. (The drinks, tables, temp bar etc have been moved outside). This is an extremely wealthy area. Non-locals were responsible; the pub responded by putting up the age requirements. I wouldn't touch a pub round my way that has young customers. Thankfully, where I go doesn't have the problem as the young ones are all well known and are drinking in the same place as their parents and other family members.

Black Horse and Railway not opening quite yet so Greenwood it is then, bound to be something bordering on a riot/entertaining happening. Can't wait.
Boozers on 13:27 - Jul 1 with 1036 viewsThe_Beast1976

Boozers on 12:40 - Jul 1 by SonofNorfolt

Black Horse and Railway not opening quite yet so Greenwood it is then, bound to be something bordering on a riot/entertaining happening. Can't wait.

Haha. I imagine that the Greenwood will be very 'lively' indeed
Boozers on 13:46 - Jul 1 with 1016 viewsMick_S

Boozers on 12:40 - Jul 1 by SonofNorfolt

Oh my giddy aunt. That's a lot of pressure on one pub. Is The Office reopening?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Boozers on 16:06 - Jul 1 with 970 viewssmegma

I expect to see loads of news footage of fights outside pubs on Saturday.
Boozers on 16:08 - Jul 1 with 969 viewsSonofNorfolt

Boozers on 13:46 - Jul 1 by Mick_S

Oh my giddy aunt. That's a lot of pressure on one pub. Is The Office reopening?

Dunno mate, I won't drink in there, but I think an all dayer is in order as I haven't done one since early March when I got into a fight and turned my ankle. I want at least a repeat of this or it will have been all for nothing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024