Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! 12:07 - Aug 19 with 2868 viewsslmrstid

Obviously not as dumb a question as it appears...a friend of mine has found a function on the OS website where you can have a split screen of historic maps against current ones and see how they've changed over time. The one she sent has a 1888-1913 map on one side, and modern day satellite imagery on the other.

I find stuff like this absolutely fascinating, and have already looked loads around Leicester, especially as the estate where I currently live was once the mainline for the Great Central Railway approx. half a mile south of Leicester Central station - all now long gone of course!

Anyway, I've scrolled down to our little lovely corner of West London, and whilst there is a football pitch shaped rectangle where Loftus Road is, there's no label for "Football Ground". Nor does South Africa Road, or anything between South Africa Road and Wormwood Scrubs other than farmland appear to exist! The Hammersmith & City Line is on the map, but the Central Line doesn't appear to be.

I know we have the history of a large number of grounds in our history, so on the map on the left where were we playing at this time? Can you find QPR FC? I genuinely have no idea where we were then so I'd love to find out!

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/?fbclid=IwAR3094qEUz95DedL3Eijkz_AV
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 12:08]
Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:11 - Aug 19 with 2841 viewsSonofNorfolt

We played in Park Royal until our ground was requisitioned during WW1 and we moved to Shepherd's Bush.
So as your maps are only up to 1913 there's your answer.
Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:12 - Aug 19 with 2832 viewsMick_S

Brilliant!

Not you, Mel.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 12:12]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:17 - Aug 19 with 2810 viewsNorthernr

Favourite bit of map geekery seen lately...

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:21 - Aug 19 with 2786 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Love old maps.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:30 - Aug 19 with 2742 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

According to this website-

https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/queens-park-rangers/

“The club’s first ‘proper’ pitch was on a patch of wasteland near Harvist Road and adjacent to the site that was later destined to become the Kensal Rise Athletic Ground”

So I guess that’s here. Although Harvest Rd is south-east from here so not sure

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/?fbclid=IwAR3094qEUz95DedL3Eijkz_AV

Definately a map geek btw

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:32 - Aug 19 with 2737 viewsDavieQPR

We also played in Kensal Rise prior to 1904-5 when we moved to the Agricultural Society's land. The landlord at Kensal Rise wanted to double our rent.
Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:33 - Aug 19 with 2730 viewsSonofNorfolt

As Arthur Daley accurately states in an episode of 'Minder'
'South London?'

Other bits of info that one may not be aware of are that the White City flats were the Olympic Village for the 1948 Games.
The Central Line was extended out to West Ruislip just after WW2. They planned to carry on to Denham but ran out of money.
Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:45 - Aug 19 with 2679 viewsfrancisbowles

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:17 - Aug 19 by Northernr

Christ, how long would it take to get from Bexleyheath to Woking on the District Line?
Login to get fewer ads

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:53 - Aug 19 with 2645 viewsMetallica_Hoop

This is quite good too.

https://www.layersoflondon.org/

You can search your poison and click the bits in the map.

For instance I searched for death.
https://www.layersoflondon.org/map/search?show_results=true&q=death&tag_ids=

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 13:05 - Aug 19 with 2597 viewsNorthantsHoop

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:12 - Aug 19 by Mick_S

Brilliant!

Not you, Mel.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 12:12]

I think he nearly got an A level in History, but they are still checking 38 years later, if he actually took the exam.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 13:08]
Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 13:10 - Aug 19 with 2564 viewsjoe90

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:17 - Aug 19 by Northernr

As a South Londoner this looks very appealing
Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 14:29 - Aug 19 with 2431 viewsRs_Holy

love all the old maps too... really interesting.
Amazing that London didn't seem to have any proper grounds back then?.. It appeared to be really well established up North tho…?.
Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 15:23 - Aug 19 with 2339 viewsBoston

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:33 - Aug 19 by SonofNorfolt

'South London?'

Other bits of info that one may not be aware of are that the White City flats were the Olympic Village for the 1948 Games.
The Central Line was extended out to West Ruislip just after WW2. They planned to carry on to Denham but ran out of money.

White City ‘flats’, y’mean the WCE? It existed prior to 1948, occupied by regular working class people, a V2 went into one of the buildings in ‘44.

The rectangle with the entrance from Loftus Rd, as many know, home of Shepherds Bush FC back then.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 15:31 - Aug 19 with 2305 viewsW7Ranger

'South London?'

That's interesting to know Mel, as I always thought that when the 1908 games were held at White City, was when the Olympic Village was located where the White City flats are now.
Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 15:38 - Aug 19 with 2287 viewsMick_S

'South London?'

Well I never! Just had a little read up and the plan included a stop in Uxbridge which would have been just the ticket.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 18:20 - Aug 19 with 2120 viewslondonscottish

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 12:30 - Aug 19 by CliveWilsonSaid

According to this website-

https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/queens-park-rangers/

“The club’s first ‘proper’ pitch was on a patch of wasteland near Harvist Road and adjacent to the site that was later destined to become the Kensal Rise Athletic Ground”

So I guess that’s here. Although Harvest Rd is south-east from here so not sure

Definately a map geek btw

I used to live on College Rd in Kensal Rise and my old back garden was where that ground used to be.

Just double checked it on that map site and there it is.

Posting pics to this site is a PITA, though, so I've given up.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 18:26 - Aug 19 with 2114 viewsSonofNorfolt

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 15:23 - Aug 19 by Boston

White City ‘flats’, y’mean the WCE? It existed prior to 1948, occupied by regular working class people, a V2 went into one of the buildings in ‘44.

The rectangle with the entrance from Loftus Rd, as many know, home of Shepherds Bush FC back then.

The V2 landed on the Flower Estate Ian, my dad was thrown across the room by it.
Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 22:42 - Aug 19 with 1908 viewsLythamR

'South London?'

My family moved into Abercrombie House on WCE in 1938 and were the first residents in their flat as it had just been completed ay the time my Grandmother told me that much of the estate was yet to be finished at the time.
Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 01:34 - Aug 20 with 1838 viewsBoston

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 18:26 - Aug 19 by SonofNorfolt

The V2 landed on the Flower Estate Ian, my dad was thrown across the room by it.

So that feeling of being a bit German is actually shrapnel!

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 01:44 - Aug 20 with 1835 viewsBoston

WCE, uncompleted, still a number of buildings to go. Look in the top right hand corner, the older viwer may notice a familiar shape, the roof of a stand, strangely white.

[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 1:45]

Where do QPR play...? For map geeks! on 01:53 - Aug 20 with 1824 viewsBoston

Blaxland House, WCE. Posted before by someone, but I recall another pic of doodlebug damage, gawd knows where I saw it.

[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 1:53]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024