Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mercury Music Award 18:51 - Sep 24 with 2213 viewsmarkrtid

I’m not a betting man but if I were, I would have put a fiver on Michael Kiwanuka but I fear ‘Diversity’ will muddy the waters again.

Mercury Music Award on 19:34 - Sep 24 with 2156 viewsDWQPR

You judged well. He’s best mates with my daughter’s ex. Never met him myself but evidently he is a real decent guy.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Mercury Music Award on 19:41 - Sep 24 with 2145 viewsBrianMcCarthy

They'll have to give it to Laura Marling at some stage, the poor waif.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Mercury Music Award on 19:51 - Sep 24 with 2118 viewsmarkrtid

Mercury Music Award on 19:41 - Sep 24 by BrianMcCarthy

They'll have to give it to Laura Marling at some stage, the poor waif.

Maybe next year mate . Always the bridesmaid but never the bride etc.

I have to say, I'm really happy with that. I was starting to think that the Mercury Prize was disappearing up it's own ar$e.

Peace
Mercury Music Award on 20:28 - Sep 24 with 2082 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Mercury Music Award on 19:51 - Sep 24 by markrtid

Maybe next year mate . Always the bridesmaid but never the bride etc.

I have to say, I'm really happy with that. I was starting to think that the Mercury Prize was disappearing up it's own ar$e.

Peace

I don't mind him actually. My favourite album was Porridge Radio.

The Marling comment was tongue-in-cheek. She's a darling of theirs despite being fairly MOR in my humble opinion.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Mercury Music Award on 20:59 - Sep 24 with 2041 viewsmarkrtid

Mercury Music Award on 20:28 - Sep 24 by BrianMcCarthy

I don't mind him actually. My favourite album was Porridge Radio.

The Marling comment was tongue-in-cheek. She's a darling of theirs despite being fairly MOR in my humble opinion.

I get what you are saying.

I thought that maybe Porridge Radio might be up there as they cross all the boxes. Not for me though. I will listen with a stronger ear now though.

Laura has been a darling of BBC Radio6 for ages now. 'Song For Our Daughter' is maybe her most accomplished singe piece of work.

Wait

QPR 2 Midds 0
Mercury Music Award on 22:11 - Sep 24 with 1953 viewsHunterhoop

Hugely underated artist is Kiwanuka! Never understood why.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 8:14]
Mercury Music Award on 23:15 - Sep 24 with 1887 viewsrsonist

It was pretty well reviewed, always seemed a safe pick.

SAULT woz robbed - twice.
Mercury Music Award on 23:17 - Sep 24 with 1886 viewsmarkrtid

Mercury Music Award on 22:11 - Sep 24 by Hunterhoop

hUGELY OVERaged 2oo
Login to get fewer ads

Mercury Music Award on 05:03 - Sep 25 with 1811 viewswestberksr

delighted with that result; been following him since his debut.

all 3 albums to date have been mercury nominated and all 3 have had excellent reviews across the board.

also excellent live and as mentioned comes across as a thoroughly decent bloke too.
Mercury Music Award on 10:14 - Sep 25 with 1706 viewsrobith

Not a betting man, but you'd pick the even money favourite? Brave call man.

Kiwanuka is a boss, so good to see him win. Thought the shortlist was pretty interesting this year, slightly baffled by the OP's ""diversity"" comment. The album that really blew me away though having never heard them before was Lanterns on the Lake - very impressive.
Mercury Music Award on 10:15 - Sep 25 with 1705 viewsrobith

Mercury Music Award on 23:15 - Sep 24 by rsonist

It was pretty well reviewed, always seemed a safe pick.

SAULT woz robbed - twice.

Those LPs are bloody cracking aren't they
Mercury Music Award on 23:02 - Sep 25 with 1554 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Mercury Music Award on 22:11 - Sep 24 by Hunterhoop

Yeah I know what you mean. To be honest I've always been a little underwhelmed by his music. I've never really put much thought into why that is until today.

When I find a musician/artist I like I want to know where they're from, where they've come from, what's their story. I don't get that with Michael Kiwanuka. There's nothing there that grabs me. Not yet anyway.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Mercury Music Award on 23:09 - Sep 25 with 1541 viewsToast_R

Michael Kiwanuka very good artist although I wasnt all that struck on his latest album. His song Bones from his debut album is one of my fsvourite songs, my wife and I had it as as our wedding first dance.
Mercury Music Award on 07:45 - Sep 26 with 1473 viewsPaddyhoops

He was on "later with jools Holland" last night.
Comes across really well and fair play what a voice.
Great clip of former winners ,Pulp on one of the old shows as well.
Mercury Music Award on 08:25 - Sep 26 with 1451 viewsrsonist

Mercury Music Award on 23:02 - Sep 25 by CliveWilsonSaid

Yeah I know what you mean. To be honest I've always been a little underwhelmed by his music. I've never really put much thought into why that is until today.

When I find a musician/artist I like I want to know where they're from, where they've come from, what's their story. I don't get that with Michael Kiwanuka. There's nothing there that grabs me. Not yet anyway.

Yeah, same. Funny that Jools Holland has been mentioned as it's almost like there's artists like Kiwanuka that feel like they only exist in a Jools-Mercury bubble (maybe a dash of 6music in there too).
Mercury Music Award on 08:38 - Sep 26 with 1442 viewsrsonist

Mercury Music Award on 10:15 - Sep 25 by robith

Those LPs are bloody cracking aren't they

So good. To be honest I find them a little bit terrifying how these young persons have just absorbed so much music so totally, and managed to recreate them while avoiding any sense of pastiche or dress-up.

You can see the joins way more obviously but did you hear the Jessie Ware album too? Would also given that a nod.
Mercury Music Award on 09:07 - Sep 26 with 1424 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Mercury Music Award on 07:45 - Sep 26 by Paddyhoops

He was on "later with jools Holland" last night.
Comes across really well and fair play what a voice.
Great clip of former winners ,Pulp on one of the old shows as well.

I saw the last 5-10 mins of that too. He seems very nice, very normal. Too normal almost.

Jools - 'What are you going to do when you finish this interview'
Michael - 'I might go out for a pale ale'

Hmmm

Then there's his styling... What he needs is an arm round the waist and a trip down to the tailors with our Ilias!

Decent performance at the end to be fair.

Mercury Music Award on 12:22 - Sep 26 with 1375 viewsHunterhoop

Mercury Music Award on 09:07 - Sep 26 by CliveWilsonSaid

I saw the last 5-10 mins of that too. He seems very nice, very normal. Too normal almost.

Jools - 'What are you going to do when you finish this interview'
Michael - 'I might go out for a pale ale'

Hmmm

Then there's his styling... What he needs is an arm round the waist and a trip down to the tailors with our Ilias!

Decent performance at the end to be fair.

Yeah, you make some good points. He’s so down to earth you could say he doesn’t have that unique attention grabbing star quality about him that draws people in. But I thought he came across so well yesterday on that show. The bloke has released 3 albums, the first in 2012, all Mercury nominated, one winning. Always gets positive reviews but you (well, I speak for myself here) never here his stuff on the radio. His music is used on TV and film, and a lot of people recognise and like Cold Little Heart from his second album, but I bet 95% wouldn’t he was the artist.

I fell into his stuff when I heard Tell Me a Tale and loved it, but I’d suggest he hasn’t quite had the mainstream hit(s) that the likes of Gregory Porter or Rag N Bone man have had. And with his voice and song writing ability, I think that can be the only thing holding him back from becoming huge. If he can come up with a few huge hits without compromising the flow and feeling of his albums, he’ll deserve super stardom.
Mercury Music Award on 13:46 - Sep 26 with 1332 viewsPaddyhoops

Mercury Music Award on 08:25 - Sep 26 by rsonist

Yeah, same. Funny that Jools Holland has been mentioned as it's almost like there's artists like Kiwanuka that feel like they only exist in a Jools-Mercury bubble (maybe a dash of 6music in there too).

Holland and later is a bit of an exclusive club. Same tired old faces on it. You can predict whos going to show up on hootenanny every year.
My favourite band from the late seventies and early eighties. Simple minds have never appeared on it.
6 UK no 1 albums, Including a US number 1. In fairness musically they had lost it by the time that happened but odd they've never been asked to appear on the show.
Mercury Music Award on 14:15 - Sep 26 with 1311 viewsHantsR

Mrs Hants told me yesterday that he lives next door to one of her choir friends in Southampton.
Mercury Music Award on 14:27 - Sep 26 with 1297 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Mercury Music Award on 14:15 - Sep 26 by HantsR

Mrs Hants told me yesterday that he lives next door to one of her choir friends in Southampton.

You’re not doing much for his street cred here

Mercury Music Award on 18:43 - Sep 26 with 1232 viewsbaz_qpr

Brilliant album this, got it when it came out a real touch of Marvin Gaye about it. Was supposed to be seeing him at Ally Pally in November but postponed for obvious reasons.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024