Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best album of the eighties? 20:02 - Oct 9 with 11795 viewsmarkrtid

U2's The Joshua Tree has been named the best album of the 1980s.

Is it though?
Best album of the eighties? on 10:35 - Oct 10 with 1406 viewsylviz

Any album by Husker Du
Best album of the eighties? on 11:33 - Oct 10 with 1364 viewsRamseyR

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables

[Post edited 10 Oct 2020 11:37]
Best album of the eighties? on 11:57 - Oct 10 with 1344 viewsBostonR

Back in Black.
Best album of the eighties? on 11:58 - Oct 10 with 1343 viewskensalriser

Best album of the eighties? on 23:17 - Oct 9 by CroydonCaptJack

Technique is a brilliant album. And would be a contender for me as it squeezed into that decade as did the moody but seminal Closer by Joy Division.

Some great albums already mentioned on this thread.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2020 23:22]

Low Life, Power Corruption & Lies and Brotherhood in that order for me. Loved those albums at the time, in fact for a while New Order were almost the only band I liked...then came house, and bands were over.

I still love New Order but now I realise they would have been a whole lot better if they'd had someone who could sing.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Best album of the eighties? on 13:07 - Oct 10 with 1309 viewsHAYESBOY

Best album of the eighties? on 10:31 - Oct 10 by TW_R

Didn’t Prince have something like 200 songs to choose from for Sign o’ the times?

He was 2-3 albums ahead all the time.

While promoting Purple Rain, he had already written "Around the World in a Day" and "Parade" albums and just starting "Sign of the Times".

This was the whole reason for the rift with the record company. He had 3 albums in him a year and wanted to release the material when he had recorded it. Warner Bros refused to do this.

Supposedly over a thousand unreleased songs and 3 films are in the fault as well as countless concert footage.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Best album of the eighties? on 13:18 - Oct 10 with 1304 viewsmerseyhoop

Technique is a brilliant album. And would be a contender for me as it squeezed into that decade as did the moody but seminal Closer by Joy Division.

Beat me to it with Technique, was and still is one of my favourite albums.
Best album of the eighties? on 13:45 - Oct 10 with 1286 viewsmerseyhoop

The 80s were so diverse and for me started with groups like Japan - Tin Drum, ABC - Lexicon of Love, Teardrop Explodes - Kilimanjaro onto Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain, Aztec Camera - High Land Hard Rain Simple Minds - New Gold Dream, Icicle Works , Talking Heads - Little Creatures, The The - Infected, New Order - Technique , Deacon Blue Raintown to Stone Roses and Happy Mondays Bummed.

Albums were always very personal when growing up, use to cherish the album sleeve artwork, listen to it countless times and play at full whack to wind your parents up.

Personally for me the best album is Stone Roses with New Order Technique & The The Infected close behind.
Best album of the eighties? on 13:45 - Oct 10 with 1286 viewsEastR

When you consider that 3 of the 4 members started the decade with Closer and ended it with Technique it really is impressive in terms of influence and impact.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Login to get fewer ads

Best album of the eighties? on 14:10 - Oct 10 with 1266 viewsqprxtc

You are all extremely , very wrong.

I know the answer to this. And I’m keeping it to myself, you lot can’t be trusted and would just break it.

Stick that up yer Kajagoogoo.
Best album of the eighties? on 14:32 - Oct 10 with 1249 viewsDWQPR

London Calling was voted best album of the 80’s by Rolling Stone magazine, which is good enough for me. Loved New Gold Dream by Simple Minds, fantastic album and even their earlier stuff was pretty damned good but seems to be mainly overlooked. The Crossing by Big Country, again a great album, some great stuff in it including the mainly instrumental Porrahman. However, in the main I didn’t look upon the 80’s as a great decade for music, probably as I was always searching for something after the demise of The Clash and The Jam.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Best album of the eighties? on 14:48 - Oct 10 with 1236 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Best album of the eighties? on 08:53 - Oct 10 by stoweboy

The Pogues - If I should fall from grace with God

A huge catalogue of songs to choose from and some classics on the way
but this is there finest hour

Happy to see a vote for the Pogues there stoweboy even if their commercial success is not anywhere close to other artists .
1 Born In The USA
2.Brothers In Arms
Best album of the eighties? on 14:55 - Oct 10 with 1229 viewsmerseyhoop

Best album of the eighties? on 13:45 - Oct 10 by merseyhoop

The 80s were so diverse and for me started with groups like Japan - Tin Drum, ABC - Lexicon of Love, Teardrop Explodes - Kilimanjaro onto Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain, Aztec Camera - High Land Hard Rain Simple Minds - New Gold Dream, Icicle Works , Talking Heads - Little Creatures, The The - Infected, New Order - Technique , Deacon Blue Raintown to Stone Roses and Happy Mondays Bummed.

Albums were always very personal when growing up, use to cherish the album sleeve artwork, listen to it countless times and play at full whack to wind your parents up.

Personally for me the best album is Stone Roses with New Order Technique & The The Infected close behind.

Cant believe I forgot Inxs Kick, has to be in my top 3 but doesnt shift Stone Roses
Best album of the eighties? on 15:03 - Oct 10 with 1224 viewsderbyhoop

Hard to argue with OP.

But Stone Roses definitely up there for me.
Good shout outs for Brothers in Arms and London Calling.
What about Thriller?

All a matter of individual tastes, but some albums cross boundaries and have a wide appeal.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Best album of the eighties? on 15:03 - Oct 10 with 1223 viewsfrancisbowles

The 80's was a very poor decade for music that seemed to get worse as it progressed. A lot of artists seemed to make their worst recordings during this period. It was the overblown production which makes the likes of Steve Winwood songs so much better now when redone than the original recordings.

There were honourable exceptions such as Deep Purple with Perfect Strangers and Rory Gallagher with Jinx and Defender, a well as London Calling and for me the best The River by the boss.
Best album of the eighties? on 15:15 - Oct 10 with 1215 viewsizlingtonhoop

Spear of Destiny - One Eyed Jacks

Only (half) joking, but better than anything U2 ever came up with.

High Land Hard Rain and Kilimanjaro mentioned above, both absolute crackers.

And Dare, never gets old.

And Mr Sheen, ELO apologist if I remember correctly, Sound Affects is mostly great. Not gonna be the best album of the 80s tho.

Actually, I just looked at the track listing, peaking with Dreamtime, it actually could compete...
Best album of the eighties? on 15:20 - Oct 10 with 1210 viewsizlingtonhoop

I'm sure Too-Rye-Aye and Upstairs at Eric's musta been flagged above.

Both very much adored at the time, by me. Not so sure about Yazoo now...
Best album of the eighties? on 16:09 - Oct 10 with 1186 viewsNorthantsHoop

Best album of the eighties? on 13:45 - Oct 10 by merseyhoop

New Gold Dream by Simple Minds a wonderful album and in my top 10. Great memories of seeing them twice on the New Gold Dream tour at the Lyceum in September and December 1982. Also love U2 and the Joshua Tree, but October is my personal favourite as it the first U2 album I bought in early 82. Again fond memories of seeing them for the first time at Hammersmith Odeon in early 1983.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2020 16:12]
Best album of the eighties? on 17:03 - Oct 10 with 1160 viewsizlingtonhoop

Best album of the eighties? on 00:13 - Oct 10 by MrSheen

More Specials is a great lost album. I can’t stand it is one of the greatest songs ever.

The Jam were mostly shite.

Thanks so much Mr Sheen.

This comment just made me listen thru to Sound Affects.

So very good!

Back to Mr Blue Sky for you...

Best album of the eighties? on 17:07 - Oct 10 with 1154 viewsBlackCrowe

Best album of the eighties? on 10:18 - Oct 10 by HAYESBOY

Just had a re-issue with all sorts of other recording at the time that were not released.

Also with alternative versions of songs like horns added on "The Ballad of Dorothy Parker".

I suppose Purple Rain should be mentioned but its not my favourite.

Yes just downloaded it on spotify...heard very good things about it. Looking forward to it. Truly a groundbreaking piece work that album. Purple Rain is great and it was so fresh at the time, but this is another level of genius.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Best album of the eighties? on 17:13 - Oct 10 with 1149 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Best album of the eighties? on 11:58 - Oct 10 by kensalriser

Low Life, Power Corruption & Lies and Brotherhood in that order for me. Loved those albums at the time, in fact for a while New Order were almost the only band I liked...then came house, and bands were over.

I still love New Order but now I realise they would have been a whole lot better if they'd had someone who could sing.

You sound like me mate although they are still my favourite band. Barney was the first to admit he couldn't sing but just took over after Ian Curtis died
Best album of the eighties? on 17:14 - Oct 10 with 1147 viewsizlingtonhoop

Best album of the eighties? on 17:13 - Oct 10 by CroydonCaptJack

You sound like me mate although they are still my favourite band. Barney was the first to admit he couldn't sing but just took over after Ian Curtis died

He hates being called Barney, too
Best album of the eighties? on 17:17 - Oct 10 with 1143 viewsizlingtonhoop

Best album of the eighties? on 17:13 - Oct 10 by CroydonCaptJack

I've seen Peter Hook and the light a couple of times in recent years, and whilst both gigs were absolutely top notch, 'Oookey's singing is far worse than Barney's.

Truly awful
Best album of the eighties? on 18:04 - Oct 10 with 1115 viewsMonahoop

I have a large, extensive record collection, but very little stuff from the 80's. Musically [ and politically] I hated it for a number of reasons apart from the ska revival and some post punk stuff at the very turn of the decade. Nearly all genres seemed to suffer from the decades obsession with over production and the use of synths.
Only BBC Radio 2 could run a mundane survey like this. For years they have been obsessed with 80's trite. That's a good enough reason for me to give it a wide birth when twiddling with the dial on the old wireless!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Best album of the eighties? on 18:28 - Oct 10 with 1103 viewsAirtomoreira

Best album of the eighties? on 20:25 - Oct 10 with 1061 viewsNoDiddley

ABC Lexicon of Love, took the tape on my honeymoon to recover from the FA Cup final
All of my heart, shoot that poison arrow..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024