Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
White City pic 01:41 - Oct 16 with 4795 viewsBoston

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

White City pic on 01:50 - Oct 16 with 3713 viewsBoston

Mr Gregory must have been standing on a box, right?

White City pic on 07:56 - Oct 16 with 3522 viewsLazyFan

In those days they played for the Badge!

zzzzzzzzzz

White City pic on 08:12 - Oct 16 with 3497 viewsBrianMcCarthy

White City pic on 01:50 - Oct 16 by Boston

Mr Gregory must have been standing on a box, right?

Ya, there's no way he was taller than Tony Ingham.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

White City pic on 08:50 - Oct 16 with 3449 viewsgazza1

Name the players in the first picture.......

INGHAM, LAZARUS, BERNARD EVANS, a young RON HUNT, JOHN COLLINS.

Is that ANDREWS the trainer?, Ron SPRINGETT on the right, next to Ron HUNT??

Great picture and fantastic memories from the early 1960s.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2020 8:55]
White City pic on 09:04 - Oct 16 with 3403 viewsMick_S

Less is more? That is some kit. Just needs a badge.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

White City pic on 09:16 - Oct 16 with 3371 viewsPerthRs

My dad took me to see the Rs v Coventry we lost 3-1 it was my first game at the White City and I believe it was the Rs last game at this ground, also went to the 1966 World Cup game there Uruguay v France.
If only we could have purchased that ground back then just think of the stadium we could have now, I'm not sure but I think it was owned by the Greyhound Association.
White City pic on 09:23 - Oct 16 with 3349 viewsPinnerPaul

My Dad ran at the White City for the school, he also went to the dogs there on a regular basis.
White City pic on 09:34 - Oct 16 with 3327 viewsW7Ranger

Tony Ingham on the left there and also (I think) Mark Lazerus thrid left?

Although I never would've thought there careers would've overlapped?!

Cracking pic none the less.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2020 9:35]
Login to get fewer ads

White City pic on 09:40 - Oct 16 with 3290 viewsEsox_Lucius

Tony Hazell? Mike Keen? Sure that is Mark Lazarus too, and Ron Hunt.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2020 9:43]

The grass is always greener.

White City pic on 09:44 - Oct 16 with 3274 viewsThe_Beast1976

Fantastic stuff
White City pic on 09:52 - Oct 16 with 3241 viewsShotKneesHoop

White City pic on 09:16 - Oct 16 by PerthRs

My dad took me to see the Rs v Coventry we lost 3-1 it was my first game at the White City and I believe it was the Rs last game at this ground, also went to the 1966 World Cup game there Uruguay v France.
If only we could have purchased that ground back then just think of the stadium we could have now, I'm not sure but I think it was owned by the Greyhound Association.

Agreed -White City would've been a great asset to have had in the new millenium -it would've need a load of rebuilding, but it was capable of 60,000 attendances then, so there was plenty of room to develop it.

In the 63/64 seasons, it was a white elephant - with crowds of an average of 5,000 scattered around one side only, with a running track and the dog track between the stands and the pitch. The teams came onto the pitch from under the ground, through a trapdoor, to the tune of "The Entry of the Gladiators" All this meant you were watching a game of subbuteo in a monastery- no atmosphere at all.

It would have been perfect nowadays with Westway and tube stations to carry 30,000 to games -there was plenty of room for social distancing then, so then R's were probably ahead of their time, being the only club with a ground that fitted pandemic restrictions. It was owned by the GRA who didn't want to sell it in the days but were happy to lease it.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2020 9:57]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

White City pic on 09:53 - Oct 16 with 3237 viewsStanisgod

Proper hoops.. 😁

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

White City pic on 09:58 - Oct 16 with 3214 viewsMick_S

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

White City pic on 10:03 - Oct 16 with 3191 viewsW7Ranger

White City pic on 18:31 - Oct 16 with 2913 viewsoldranger

Some players recognise Roy Bentley, John McClelland, Brian Bedford, Frank Large, Tony Ingham and Ray Drinkwater.
White City pic on 18:48 - Oct 16 with 2880 viewsFulhamFreds

White City pic on 18:31 - Oct 16 by oldranger

Some players recognise Roy Bentley, John McClelland, Brian Bedford, Frank Large, Tony Ingham and Ray Drinkwater.

Did you ever see Frank Large play ?
White City pic on 19:12 - Oct 16 with 2831 viewsRangersDave

'Look at what we could have one' ?

My late dad went there for all the games Rangers played there, and swore we should have bought it if only for the investment value alone....... build a bespoke 30k seater with legroom, walkways like wembley, and space to build and lease to bring in extra revenue....forever!

Even now, it see,s like we missed an opportunity with White City, besides it was only a stones throw from Oil Drum Lane!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

White City pic on 00:27 - Oct 17 with 2595 viewsNewBee

Little known piece of trivia:
"White City Stadium hosted one game at the 1966 World Cup, which was a group match between Uruguay and France (2-1). The match was originally planned to be played at Wembley Stadium, however when Wembley’s owner refused to reschedule a previously planned dog race, the match was moved to White City instead."
https://www.stadiumguide.com/whitecitystadium/
White City pic on 01:12 - Oct 17 with 2570 viewsBoston

White City pic on 08:12 - Oct 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Ya, there's no way he was taller than Tony Ingham.

I'd say Jim Gregory was about 5'2"..so you'd be right.

White City pic on 18:17 - Oct 17 with 2351 viewsqpr_1968

White City pic on 18:48 - Oct 16 by FulhamFreds

Did you ever see Frank Large play ?

first i'd ever heard of frank large was back in the early 70s. a picture of him in about 12 different football shirts was in a magazine, and to this day i cannot remember if it was a football programme, shoot magazine or any other.
thats all i know about him other than playing a few games for qpr back in 1962 i think.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

White City pic on 20:48 - Oct 17 with 2235 viewsdixiedean

White City pic on 18:17 - Oct 17 by qpr_1968

first i'd ever heard of frank large was back in the early 70s. a picture of him in about 12 different football shirts was in a magazine, and to this day i cannot remember if it was a football programme, shoot magazine or any other.
thats all i know about him other than playing a few games for qpr back in 1962 i think.

Maybe it was in the Football Leagu Review which was a supplement inside the normal programme ? I think it was an optional extra : 1/- without it or 1s3d with it . God I’m old 😊
White City pic on 21:26 - Oct 17 with 2207 viewsqpr_1968

White City pic on 20:48 - Oct 17 by dixiedean

Maybe it was in the Football Leagu Review which was a supplement inside the normal programme ? I think it was an optional extra : 1/- without it or 1s3d with it . God I’m old 😊

thats it, it was the football league review, remember now.
cheers for that fellow.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

White City pic on 09:36 - Oct 18 with 2110 viewsdixiedean

White City pic on 21:26 - Oct 17 by qpr_1968

thats it, it was the football league review, remember now.
cheers for that fellow.

We all need the old memory jogging these days mate ! I can see Frank Large pictured in a Northampton kit - white top with 2 maroon hoops round it and maroon shorts - unless my memory is playing tricks on me ? Some good traditional kits in those days , not least our one in the White City photo.
White City pic on 09:57 - Oct 18 with 2081 viewsstowmarketrange

White City pic on 09:52 - Oct 16 by ShotKneesHoop

Agreed -White City would've been a great asset to have had in the new millenium -it would've need a load of rebuilding, but it was capable of 60,000 attendances then, so there was plenty of room to develop it.

In the 63/64 seasons, it was a white elephant - with crowds of an average of 5,000 scattered around one side only, with a running track and the dog track between the stands and the pitch. The teams came onto the pitch from under the ground, through a trapdoor, to the tune of "The Entry of the Gladiators" All this meant you were watching a game of subbuteo in a monastery- no atmosphere at all.

It would have been perfect nowadays with Westway and tube stations to carry 30,000 to games -there was plenty of room for social distancing then, so then R's were probably ahead of their time, being the only club with a ground that fitted pandemic restrictions. It was owned by the GRA who didn't want to sell it in the days but were happy to lease it.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2020 9:57]

The GRA sold it in the end and it was knocked down for more bloody offices.Unfortunately for us,Jim had spent his money doing up Loftus Road.We had one of the most modern stadiums in the early 80’s,but it has now become one of the worst in the top 2 divisions.
Are there any dog tracks left in London now for the GRA to manage?
White City pic on 14:18 - Oct 18 with 1975 viewsBoston

White City pic on 18:17 - Oct 17 by qpr_1968

What about his mate?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024