Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ferdinand Interview 17:47 - Jan 27 with 3898 viewsdaveB

From EFL Site about his role, Eze, academy etc

Ferdinand Interview on 21:02 - Jan 27 with 3006 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Not the most searching interview ever. Seemed to play it safe with his answers and washed over a few things.

He didn't give the impression that we're any sort of financial trouble. Yes we're restricted by what we can spend but if we stick to our budget no problem.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Ferdinand Interview on 21:35 - Jan 27 with 2918 viewsderbyhoop

Not the most searching. Over concentration on Eze, which is the real success story of Sir Les' role as DOF.

WHat about recruitment and scouting?
What TYPE of manager would replace Warbs? Not a Pulis or Allardyce, certainly.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Ferdinand Interview on 01:10 - Jan 28 with 2735 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Firstly, nice to hear that the club is now stable. Interesting to hear LF state that the DOF role is in place to maintain the club's identity and philosophy of play through successive managers. Despite being in the DOF role for 6 years now, that consistency has been missing at QPR, resulting in player churn. Hopefully the philosophy established under MW is here to stay.
Ferdinand Interview on 10:01 - Jan 28 with 2565 viewsdaveB

Ferdinand Interview on 01:10 - Jan 28 by Benny_the_Ball

Firstly, nice to hear that the club is now stable. Interesting to hear LF state that the DOF role is in place to maintain the club's identity and philosophy of play through successive managers. Despite being in the DOF role for 6 years now, that consistency has been missing at QPR, resulting in player churn. Hopefully the philosophy established under MW is here to stay.

The Consistent bit has been in creating a pathway from academy/under 23's to the first team, that has been in place all the way through and really wasn't for the previous decade.

The doing that bit whilst the first team is doing well is the bit that hasn't really worked
Ferdinand Interview on 23:39 - Jan 28 with 2379 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Ferdinand Interview on 10:01 - Jan 28 by daveB

The Consistent bit has been in creating a pathway from academy/under 23's to the first team, that has been in place all the way through and really wasn't for the previous decade.

The doing that bit whilst the first team is doing well is the bit that hasn't really worked

Good point though I would argue that the pathway temporarily closed under McClaren so there hasn't been total consistency throughout Ferdinand's tenure.

That being said, it appears to be now set in stone under Warburton. Hopefully this pathway will continue and develop into a solid production line that supports a competitive first team whilst keeping the club sustainable. The question is, when can fans reasonably expect the full model to be working?
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 14:41]
Ferdinand Interview on 03:44 - Jan 29 with 2318 viewsDixie_CT

Surely the majority of work to make QPR financially more stable is credited to Lee Hoos?

Not sure we need a DoF, from a financial perspective or the risk of new managers coming in and changing philosophy. It’s the Board who should set the direction and budget under the advice and guidance from the CEO. Managers should be picked with budget and history in mind.

Style is pretty arbitrary, I want us to have success 1st, look good 2nd. What sort of team would 2010/11 have been without Adel? Did we play in the ‘QPR way’ when we won at Wembley? Did I care on either occasion about style? No, not really.

I do think Les is an issue for us, from the perspectives of; lack of capability in the role, having too much influence at times and quite a bit of cronyism
Ferdinand Interview on 03:54 - Jan 29 with 2316 viewsnix

Ferdinand Interview on 23:39 - Jan 28 by Benny_the_Ball

Good point though I would argue that the pathway temporarily closed under McClaren so there hasn't been total consistency throughout Ferdinand's tenure.

That being said, it appears to be now set in stone under Warburton. Hopefully this pathway will continue and develop into a solid production line that supports a competitive first team whilst keeping the club sustainable. The question is, when can fans reasonably expect the full model to be working?
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 14:41]

Personally I think we'll start to see the benefits next season. It will be the first season for ages where we won't need to have a complete upheaval of players, all being well. Barbet, Dykes, Bonne, Willock, Dieng, LTC, Chair, Kane should all be here next season and be part of the first team. Being a more settled side, plus individual players having more experience in the Championship should make a big difference at the start of next season. Personally, I think Kakay can come good and I'm hopeful for Hamalainen with a bit more experience - I still remember people shouting at Furlong to come off after five minutes in his second season with us in the first team.

We'll need someone to replace BOS, I doubt Austin will be here and probably not Albert. But hopefully Amos will be back playing which will be like having a new signing. We'll need new fullbacks to provide competition/be first choice, depending on how things pan out,and another centre midfielder.

I think we should expect to be top half of the table next season, but still with a sustainable wage bill, which is a great achievement when you look at how many other Championship teams are taking massive financial risks.

I'm not sure which of those players might bring in a fee over the next couple of years but if I had to guess, I think we could get a few million for Willock if he continues to work hard.

Will we be challenging for the Premier next season? Well the answer's probably no. But Brentford haven't made it yet and they've been in this game a lot longer. But what they have managed to do is create a really good top six team, build a stadium, keep sustainable and with a similarly low fan base as well. That's pretty impressive and not to be sneered at.
Ferdinand Interview on 08:13 - Jan 29 with 2198 viewssuperhoopdownunder

I don’t see us in the top half of the Championship with this set up and squad anytime soon.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 8:15]
Login to get fewer ads

Ferdinand Interview on 08:35 - Jan 29 with 2156 viewsstevec

Far as I can see we’re at a point where we seem to have run out of good youth players. The barrel has been scraped to the extent that if there’s a problem area in the first team and you’ve had a couple of loans at lower league, chances are you’ll be in the first team on a long contract.

The only comparison we have with Brentford are Eze and BOS, not developed in our youth teams but elsewhere. That is a system that works.

Whilst our philosophy concentrates on a small pool of youngsters in our own youth system, there’s a whole world of systems out there where we can cherry pick like Brentford do.

There has to be a time soon when we look at where we are, look at our 1985 stadium and admit that it’s not working.
Ferdinand Interview on 09:14 - Jan 29 with 2101 viewsNorthernr

Ferdinand Interview on 08:35 - Jan 29 by stevec

Far as I can see we’re at a point where we seem to have run out of good youth players. The barrel has been scraped to the extent that if there’s a problem area in the first team and you’ve had a couple of loans at lower league, chances are you’ll be in the first team on a long contract.

The only comparison we have with Brentford are Eze and BOS, not developed in our youth teams but elsewhere. That is a system that works.

Whilst our philosophy concentrates on a small pool of youngsters in our own youth system, there’s a whole world of systems out there where we can cherry pick like Brentford do.

There has to be a time soon when we look at where we are, look at our 1985 stadium and admit that it’s not working.

I'm interested to see what happens to Brentford's B Team system post Brexit. The rules regarding signing players from abroad would seemingly prohibit picking up players unless they have a set number of national caps and/or appearances for first teams in high leagues. A good chunk of their B team system relies on bringing in young prospects from Europe, particularly Denmark where the chairman has another club. I don't see how that's possible under the rules now.

Likewise, I don't see how we'd be able to sign Polter, Borysiuk, Ngbakoto, Ramkilde now, and maybe Sylla too (although he did have some caps).

Also interested to see what this does with the Watford-Udinese link up, or Forest-Greece-Spain fiddle.
Ferdinand Interview on 09:44 - Jan 29 with 2028 viewsnix

Ferdinand Interview on 08:35 - Jan 29 by stevec

So what do you suggest they do then?
Ferdinand Interview on 10:05 - Jan 29 with 1970 viewsdaveB

Ferdinand Interview on 03:44 - Jan 29 by Dixie_CT

Surely the majority of work to make QPR financially more stable is credited to Lee Hoos?

Not sure we need a DoF, from a financial perspective or the risk of new managers coming in and changing philosophy. It’s the Board who should set the direction and budget under the advice and guidance from the CEO. Managers should be picked with budget and history in mind.

Style is pretty arbitrary, I want us to have success 1st, look good 2nd. What sort of team would 2010/11 have been without Adel? Did we play in the ‘QPR way’ when we won at Wembley? Did I care on either occasion about style? No, not really.

I do think Les is an issue for us, from the perspectives of; lack of capability in the role, having too much influence at times and quite a bit of cronyism

Financially I think it's a mixture of the 2, part of Ferdinands role will have been to reduce the wage bill but bring through players who can be sold on which he has done.

I think the club desperately need a DOF, given what went on in the 10 years before at QPR I'd have thought that was obvious, i think I had more chance of getting a game than players in our academy before Ferdinand came back. The whole culture of the club has changed for the better over the last few years.

Whether Ferdinand is the right man or is doing a good job is a separate issue as to if the role is needed or not imo,
Ferdinand Interview on 10:58 - Jan 29 with 1884 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Part of the problem with our ‘model’ is that you need the rest of the football world to be on our side. Agents, premier league clubs etc seem to pick favourites and stick with them and it’s hard for new clubs to break through.

Tbh I think the rest of the football establishment were more than happy with our old system.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Ferdinand Interview on 11:14 - Jan 29 with 1862 viewsDixie_CT

Ferdinand Interview on 10:05 - Jan 29 by daveB

Financially I think it's a mixture of the 2, part of Ferdinands role will have been to reduce the wage bill but bring through players who can be sold on which he has done.

I think the club desperately need a DOF, given what went on in the 10 years before at QPR I'd have thought that was obvious, i think I had more chance of getting a game than players in our academy before Ferdinand came back. The whole culture of the club has changed for the better over the last few years.

Whether Ferdinand is the right man or is doing a good job is a separate issue as to if the role is needed or not imo,

Great points. The truth is often in the middle and you are being more objective than me as I don't think Les is right for the post.

With am effective Board, CEO, CFO and 1st team manager, you should be able to effectively run a football club.I think a DoF can be a good thing but it needs clarity on what it is they are there to do. Some of our signings i.e. Wallace, Kelly, Austin on loan etc, don't look like the Les has brought them in which only muddies and dilutes his postion.

As for us right, I just question can we afford it and also the top heavy academy? You would think we are paying Les and Ramsey very well given their previous posts and experience. I did hear they deciced to keep Ramsey on when he was sacked from the first team to get some use out of him as they had to pay him anyway.
Ferdinand Interview on 11:16 - Jan 29 with 1857 viewsTheChef

Ferdinand Interview on 03:54 - Jan 29 by nix

Personally I think we'll start to see the benefits next season. It will be the first season for ages where we won't need to have a complete upheaval of players, all being well. Barbet, Dykes, Bonne, Willock, Dieng, LTC, Chair, Kane should all be here next season and be part of the first team. Being a more settled side, plus individual players having more experience in the Championship should make a big difference at the start of next season. Personally, I think Kakay can come good and I'm hopeful for Hamalainen with a bit more experience - I still remember people shouting at Furlong to come off after five minutes in his second season with us in the first team.

We'll need someone to replace BOS, I doubt Austin will be here and probably not Albert. But hopefully Amos will be back playing which will be like having a new signing. We'll need new fullbacks to provide competition/be first choice, depending on how things pan out,and another centre midfielder.

I think we should expect to be top half of the table next season, but still with a sustainable wage bill, which is a great achievement when you look at how many other Championship teams are taking massive financial risks.

I'm not sure which of those players might bring in a fee over the next couple of years but if I had to guess, I think we could get a few million for Willock if he continues to work hard.

Will we be challenging for the Premier next season? Well the answer's probably no. But Brentford haven't made it yet and they've been in this game a lot longer. But what they have managed to do is create a really good top six team, build a stadium, keep sustainable and with a similarly low fan base as well. That's pretty impressive and not to be sneered at.

Far too sensible Nix ;)

Although I'm not convinced Amos is the answer to all our woes when he's fit again (and I get the impression he is one of those players who doesn't stay fit for long). Hope I'm proved wrong!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ferdinand Interview on 11:23 - Jan 29 with 1843 viewsstevec

Ferdinand Interview on 09:44 - Jan 29 by nix

So what do you suggest they do then?

Get rid of the philosophy and start a plan, there’s no specific aim.

There was mocking of the 4 year plan, the pedantic amongst us that the original aim was European football. The point is we moved in an upward trajectory, one that we’d spent 15 years thinking would never happen again.

Only just reading up on Clive’s observation on transfers abroad but it first appears that bar is set fairly low, certainly for those clubs that have the will, they will find a way.

We have become consumed by a philosophy. As I understand it Austin was coming last summer, now there’s no doubt many reasons why that may not have happened but did that conflict with the collective who hold sway over this club now. It’s hard to believe TF first tweeted Austin over Christmas, more like Les was given a flea in his ear and told to get the job done.

Direction needs to come from the top, there is none.
Ferdinand Interview on 11:32 - Jan 29 with 1823 viewsdaveB

Ferdinand Interview on 11:14 - Jan 29 by Dixie_CT

Great points. The truth is often in the middle and you are being more objective than me as I don't think Les is right for the post.

With am effective Board, CEO, CFO and 1st team manager, you should be able to effectively run a football club.I think a DoF can be a good thing but it needs clarity on what it is they are there to do. Some of our signings i.e. Wallace, Kelly, Austin on loan etc, don't look like the Les has brought them in which only muddies and dilutes his postion.

As for us right, I just question can we afford it and also the top heavy academy? You would think we are paying Les and Ramsey very well given their previous posts and experience. I did hear they deciced to keep Ramsey on when he was sacked from the first team to get some use out of him as they had to pay him anyway.

I do think we are a bit overly obsessed with who buys the players, whatever model you have it will rarely be down to one person unless you are a shambles.

What we'd had since Ferdinand has come in has been a bit more direction on the type of players we sign with the idea being they are hungry to do well, see QPR as a step up in their career and want to progress further. You will always need the likes of Wallace, Austin etc to balance the team out as you can't just do as Ipswich did and fill it with promising kids.

For me you judge whether Ferdinand has done a good/bad job on how much the club has progressed under his watch. For player development, pathway to the first team it's been a big tick, he's brought in people who have improved the academy and scouting, it could be a lot better but it's moved forward from where we were 5 years ago.

Ultimately though it will always be about how the first team are doing and thats been a real mixed bag over the last few years and has been poor this season. There is still an opportunity to turn this season around and where we finish will be what everyone at the club is judged on. If we go down or finish bottom 6 struggling it's clearly not worked and probably time to change the person in the DOF seat.
Ferdinand Interview on 11:36 - Jan 29 with 1819 viewsdaveB

Ferdinand Interview on 11:23 - Jan 29 by stevec

There was mocking of the 4 year plan, the pedantic amongst us that the original aim was European football. The point is we moved in an upward trajectory, one that we’d spent 15 years thinking would never happen again.

Only just reading up on Clive’s observation on transfers abroad but it first appears that bar is set fairly low, certainly for those clubs that have the will, they will find a way.

We have become consumed by a philosophy. As I understand it Austin was coming last summer, now there’s no doubt many reasons why that may not have happened but did that conflict with the collective who hold sway over this club now. It’s hard to believe TF first tweeted Austin over Christmas, more like Les was given a flea in his ear and told to get the job done.

What is the plan then?

Fine to rip up the idea of developing your own players and looking for gems in the lower leagues but what replaces that?

The 4 year plan was mocked because there was no plan, they just kept signing more and more players and changing managers until it finally worked

I'm not sure where this Fernandes and Austin thing has come from but from the interviews I've heard from Austin it does seem a bit over blown, from what he's said his agent got him the move to us.
Ferdinand Interview on 11:43 - Jan 29 with 1804 viewsDixie_CT

Diretion does need to come from the top and it does seem badly missing here. I don't get the impression that many of the shareholders are doing much apart form putting money in. Now don't get me wrong, thank f**k for that however that isn't sustainable and is surely impacted by how we are doing?

Amit loves it when we win and sure they would all like another day out to Wembley and soujourn in the holy land of the Premier League.

I wouldn't say they don't care or showing intent with their investment but that isn't enough, they need to grab their project by the scruff of the neck and do some of the heavy lifting. That feels like it is sadly missing.

Last point on Les before I zip it,..... on that interview he mentions Jamie Vardy and everyone scrambling around for the next one. Well there is a certain Jamal Lowe at Swansea who isn't doing a bad job form non-league. We had three opportunites to sign him since he left Hamption & Richmond. If I was the shareholders and/or Lee Hoos, I would be asking when the scouting team and DoF never suggested Lowe.
Ferdinand Interview on 11:49 - Jan 29 with 1778 viewsEsox_Lucius

Ferdinand Interview on 11:43 - Jan 29 by Dixie_CT

Diretion does need to come from the top and it does seem badly missing here. I don't get the impression that many of the shareholders are doing much apart form putting money in. Now don't get me wrong, thank f**k for that however that isn't sustainable and is surely impacted by how we are doing?

Amit loves it when we win and sure they would all like another day out to Wembley and soujourn in the holy land of the Premier League.

I wouldn't say they don't care or showing intent with their investment but that isn't enough, they need to grab their project by the scruff of the neck and do some of the heavy lifting. That feels like it is sadly missing.

Last point on Les before I zip it,..... on that interview he mentions Jamie Vardy and everyone scrambling around for the next one. Well there is a certain Jamal Lowe at Swansea who isn't doing a bad job form non-league. We had three opportunites to sign him since he left Hamption & Richmond. If I was the shareholders and/or Lee Hoos, I would be asking when the scouting team and DoF never suggested Lowe.

Maybe we did and couldn't match his wage expectations?

The grass is always greener.

Ferdinand Interview on 12:03 - Jan 29 with 1748 viewsDixie_CT

Ferdinand Interview on 11:49 - Jan 29 by Esox_Lucius

Maybe we did and couldn't match his wage expectations?

I spoke to Lowe's agent when he was at H & R who approached me because I was wearing a QPR tracksuit. He said he was trying to get hold of Les to talk about Jamal and could I help. I tried to connect him but didn't get a response.

Lowe subsequently went to Pompey, who I think were League 2 at the time, so i presume we could have outbid them at the time and could have proabaly again in 18 months time when he went from Pompey to Wigan.

Maybe we couldn't when he left in the Wigan Fire Sale to Swansea.
Ferdinand Interview on 12:12 - Jan 29 with 1724 viewsMedwayR

Wasn't Lowe in our youth ranks but got released because we had Sterling?

Poll: Who’s better?

Ferdinand Interview on 12:16 - Jan 29 with 1707 viewsNorthernr

Ferdinand Interview on 11:23 - Jan 29 by stevec

Ah yes the four year plan.

2.5 years - spend an absolute raving fortune, rattle through a whole load of desperately poor managers, drag the club massive burdened by salaries and with more loan players than it could pick on a matchday to the brink of League One.
18 months - appoint Neil Warnock.
Ferdinand Interview on 12:50 - Jan 29 with 1669 viewsdaveB

Ferdinand Interview on 12:03 - Jan 29 by Dixie_CT

I spoke to Lowe's agent when he was at H & R who approached me because I was wearing a QPR tracksuit. He said he was trying to get hold of Les to talk about Jamal and could I help. I tried to connect him but didn't get a response.

Lowe subsequently went to Pompey, who I think were League 2 at the time, so i presume we could have outbid them at the time and could have proabaly again in 18 months time when he went from Pompey to Wigan.

Maybe we couldn't when he left in the Wigan Fire Sale to Swansea.

It's a good point on Lowe and I don't doubt we've missed out on players like him, does seem a bit odd for the agent to not know how to get hold of Ferdinand though
Ferdinand Interview on 13:00 - Jan 29 with 1627 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Ferdinand Interview on 11:43 - Jan 29 by Dixie_CT

This is key for me. Without the drive from our owners, we are just drifting along, hoping to stay above the bottom three in the Championship. Next season could see Brentford, Chelsea and Fulham all in the Premier League; if you're a young fan growing up, who are you more likely to support? I'd definitely like to see more clear intent and communication on their part about where the club is going.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024