Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dieng 18:43 - Feb 6 with 16775 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dropped two balls today and he was still excellent.

Our best goalie since Seaman?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dieng on 01:32 - Feb 9 with 2437 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Dieng on 09:03 - Feb 8 by Metallica_Hoop

Kenny is my favourite.
I rated him before he signed and was chuffed when he did.

We've had some good ones over the years. Even the 50 year old Paul Jones was pretty good.

Ditto. Even when the opposition were through 1-on-1 I rated Kenny's chances.
Dieng on 16:08 - Feb 11 with 2311 viewsaston_hoop

Was going to ask the question of who actually scouted Seny, then I found this. So big up Gavin Ward

https://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/08/fc-client-seny-dieng-signs-qpr/

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Dieng on 16:23 - Feb 11 with 2259 viewsMatch82

I think it says something about his talent that this is even a conversation we are having. Can you imagine the strange looks you'd have got if you had told someone this was even a conversation at the start of the season?
Dieng on 16:32 - Feb 11 with 2223 viewsEsox_Lucius

Dieng on 16:23 - Feb 11 by Match82

I think it says something about his talent that this is even a conversation we are having. Can you imagine the strange looks you'd have got if you had told someone this was even a conversation at the start of the season?

Until the whack in the head at Villa I think Lumley would be comfortably holding down his place in the team. He always looked better than Seny in the academy side and was loved when he went out on loan.

The grass is always greener.

Dieng on 16:54 - Feb 11 with 2176 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Dieng on 16:32 - Feb 11 by Esox_Lucius

Until the whack in the head at Villa I think Lumley would be comfortably holding down his place in the team. He always looked better than Seny in the academy side and was loved when he went out on loan.

Do you seriously think that affected him that much Esox?
Genuine question.
Dieng on 18:53 - Feb 11 with 2088 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Dieng on 16:54 - Feb 11 by CroydonCaptJack

Genuine question.

I know this question is not directed at me but a blow to the face can wreck a goalies reaction time and worse still his confident ability to claim crosses etc .JL is a tall keeper who should have no issues in the air but after that collision he seemed reluctant to come out and once the keeper stays rooted or backs up its a certain goal on a breakaway.
Dieng is brilliant controlling his box and a great reaction saver too its such a joy to see him play this well.
This gives the whole team a lift and of course the fans too .
Are we conceding less penalties btw or has it just evened out since we gave up so many last few years
Dieng on 18:57 - Feb 11 with 2071 viewsHayesender

Dieng on 18:53 - Feb 11 by CLAREMAN1995

I know this question is not directed at me but a blow to the face can wreck a goalies reaction time and worse still his confident ability to claim crosses etc .JL is a tall keeper who should have no issues in the air but after that collision he seemed reluctant to come out and once the keeper stays rooted or backs up its a certain goal on a breakaway.
Dieng is brilliant controlling his box and a great reaction saver too its such a joy to see him play this well.
This gives the whole team a lift and of course the fans too .
Are we conceding less penalties btw or has it just evened out since we gave up so many last few years

Same thing happened to Stuart Broad facing fast bowlers. Never really seemed to recover mentally

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Dieng on 19:49 - Feb 11 with 2008 viewskernowhoop

We should not be surprised when Dieng makes a mistake. Fans should understand that goalkeepers do that. It does not suddenly make him a bad goalkeeper any more than Alisson's mistakes for Liverpool against Manchester City made him a bad keeper.
Login to get fewer ads

Dieng on 20:05 - Feb 11 with 1984 viewsNed_Kennedys

Genuine question.

Not a chance. He was an average young keeper beforehand and just hasn't developed as well as hoped and League 1 is about his level.

Cech had a far worse injury for Arsenal against Reading, hence started to wear the headgear.
Was just as good thereafter.
Dieng on 21:16 - Feb 11 with 1914 viewsbakerloo8

Fair points regarding Lumley and the injury at Villa. Would agree he hasn't been the same since.
He was never as good as Dieng is now though, Seny better in literally every department. Anyone saying different is just being contrary imo.
Dieng on 22:06 - Feb 11 with 1892 viewsEsox_Lucius

Genuine question.

Briefly, yes I do. He was never the same after that other than occasional flashes.

The grass is always greener.

Dieng on 09:48 - Feb 12 with 1762 viewsgazza1

Dieng on 22:06 - Feb 11 by Esox_Lucius

Briefly, yes I do. He was never the same after that other than occasional flashes.

How do you actually know it affected him, he was making several errors prior to the Villa game?

He is nowhere near as good as Dieng before or after the incident.
Dieng on 10:40 - Feb 12 with 1728 viewsfrancisbowles

The thing that really impresses me about Seny is that I am no longer on the edge of my seat when he has the ball. He is just so much calmer.

Lumley always looked more edgy and rushed. Kelly, even though he has a reputation for being good with his feet, also showed the same nervousness tendencies. Liam's distribution was better overall, Joe's could be good but was much less consistent.

There is little doubt that we are playing out from the back less than we were and Seny makes good decisions and takes less risks. He has so far cleared very well with his feet. Very few kicks going astray or being skied. Dieng also benefits from having a better and more consistent presence in front of him.
Dieng on 11:49 - Feb 22 with 1604 viewsTomS

He has made several superb saves over the past few weeks, which has undoubtedly helped us to continue this welcome run of results.

There is no doubt that he has the potential to play at a very high level. My fear is that as a result of Covid-19 that transfer values will be depressed for the foreseeable future. Selling clubs will be desperate to balance their books, while buyers don't have the same income streams that they used to.

When he is picked up by a bigger club, I hope we aren't forced to sell at an unreasonable price.
Dieng on 13:37 - Feb 22 with 1506 viewsBrianMcCarthy

He's had a few questionable moments of late.

Brentford goal (positioning).
Shane Long 1-on-1 (too slow off his line, though he recovered well to save anyway)
Surridge's header (too slow across).

I think that by his usual high standard he'll be disappointed with all three of them to varying degrees.
The great news is that he remained unaffected and quickly returned to his excellent standards.

Dieng on 16:47 - Feb 22 with 1412 viewsQPR_John

Dieng on 13:37 - Feb 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Shane Long 1-on-1 (too slow off his line, though he recovered well to save anyway)

I think that by his usual high standard he'll be disappointed with all three of them to varying degrees.
The great news is that he remained unaffected and quickly returned to his excellent standards.

"Shane Long 1-on-1 (too slow off his line, though he recovered well to save anyway) "

I find that amazing. If a keeper saves in a 1 on 1 situation then he has made the right decision. Maybe being slow off his line allowed him to make the save.
Dieng on 17:07 - Feb 22 with 1375 viewsgazza1

Wow, pretty critical.......
Dieng on 17:08 - Feb 22 with 1367 viewsbakerloo8

You being serious?
Dieng on 17:11 - Feb 22 with 1368 viewssimmo

Dieng on 16:47 - Feb 22 by QPR_John

"Shane Long 1-on-1 (too slow off his line, though he recovered well to save anyway) "

I find that amazing. If a keeper saves in a 1 on 1 situation then he has made the right decision. Maybe being slow off his line allowed him to make the save.

I think the point is more that being slow off his line forced him to make the save, rather than allowed him. Initially I thought he could have come to get it as it was quite far ahead of Long, but it was a close call either way.

His positioning is one of, if not his best qualities though and I already back him to be making the right decisions there.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Dieng on 17:35 - Feb 22 with 1327 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dieng on 17:11 - Feb 22 by simmo

I think the point is more that being slow off his line forced him to make the save, rather than allowed him. Initially I thought he could have come to get it as it was quite far ahead of Long, but it was a close call either way.

His positioning is one of, if not his best qualities though and I already back him to be making the right decisions there.

Exactly that. I thought it was questionable - not definite - that he should have come and swept that. As I say, though, he recovered well to make the set-up save. Agree about his positioning. Really excellent.

The funny thing is that I didn't worry. I just thought "Dieng's got this".

Dieng on 17:35 - Feb 22 with 1321 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dieng on 16:47 - Feb 22 by QPR_John

Please see my answer to Simmo below, John.

Dieng on 17:38 - Feb 22 with 1310 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dieng on 17:08 - Feb 22 by bakerloo8

You being serious?

Bakerloo and Gazza,

Ya, I'm being serious. And maybe being critical as well. But I also started this thread praising him as being possibly our best since Seaman. I think he's excellent. But I think those three moments deserve analysis, and that's something he'll be doing with Gavin Ward as he seeks to improve every day.

Dieng on 17:56 - Feb 22 with 1260 viewsbakerloo8

Dieng on 17:38 - Feb 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Bakerloo and Gazza,

Ya, I'm being serious. And maybe being critical as well. But I also started this thread praising him as being possibly our best since Seaman. I think he's excellent. But I think those three moments deserve analysis, and that's something he'll be doing with Gavin Ward as he seeks to improve every day.

Personally think you're being hyper critical and looking for something that really isn't there.
Top keeper playing great.
Dieng on 18:01 - Feb 22 with 1254 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dieng on 17:56 - Feb 22 by bakerloo8

Personally think you're being hyper critical and looking for something that really isn't there.
Top keeper playing great.

Fair enough, opinions differ naturally. I'm a goalie coach and may sometimes be over-critical. I always look at every goal we concede over and over, just out of habit.

I also think he's a top keeper playing great. But no player ever plays a perfect game.

Dieng on 18:08 - Feb 22 with 1245 viewsChrisNW6

Not jumping on the disagree with 'Brian' bandwagon, I thought his timing for the Shane Long shot was positionally perfect.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024