Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dieng 18:43 - Feb 6 with 16872 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dropped two balls today and he was still excellent.

Our best goalie since Seaman?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dieng on 18:18 - Feb 22 with 3094 viewsR_from_afar

Dieng on 19:42 - Feb 6 by Gloucs_R

Since Seaman, here would be my picks...

Stejskal
Smithies
Dieng
Kenny
Camp
Cerny
Green
Day
Sommer
[Post edited 6 Feb 2021 19:44]

Justice for Rossi! Why isn't our Italian colossus on that list? For shame

EDIT: I see you included him in a later post
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 18:25]

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Dieng on 18:26 - Feb 22 with 3058 viewsdannyblue

Dieng on 18:18 - Feb 22 by R_from_afar

Justice for Rossi! Why isn't our Italian colossus on that list? For shame

EDIT: I see you included him in a later post
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 18:25]

Generoso is such an unfortunate name for a goalkeeper
Dieng on 22:12 - Feb 22 with 2850 viewsGloryHunter

Dieng on 19:42 - Feb 6 by Gloucs_R

Since Seaman, here would be my picks...

Stejskal
Smithies
Dieng
Kenny
Camp
Cerny
Green
Day
Sommer
[Post edited 6 Feb 2021 19:44]

Yann Sommer is the current Swiss #1. Keeping our Seny out.
Dieng on 23:16 - Feb 22 with 2760 viewskensalriser

Still a bit alarmed about Dieng's two dropped balls. Didn't realise he was that young.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Dieng on 01:53 - Feb 23 with 2680 viewsVancouverHoop

Dieng on 22:12 - Feb 22 by GloryHunter

Yann Sommer is the current Swiss #1. Keeping our Seny out.

Sommer's an excellent keeper, he's also captain of Borussia Mönchengladbach. There are also others in line before we get to our boy. Leipzig's Yvon Mvogo, on loan at PSV at present, and Jonas Omlin of Montpellier, are both more experienced. Seny will get his turn but he'll have to wait a bit.
Dieng on 09:58 - Feb 23 with 2560 viewsqprphil

On a personal level, and being selfish I'm quite happy at present that he's not number one pick for his country. If, and when he should move on, then I'd be happy for him to be number one, his time will come.
Dieng on 10:12 - Feb 23 with 2534 viewsCamberleyR

Dieng on 01:53 - Feb 23 by VancouverHoop

Sommer's an excellent keeper, he's also captain of Borussia Mönchengladbach. There are also others in line before we get to our boy. Leipzig's Yvon Mvogo, on loan at PSV at present, and Jonas Omlin of Montpellier, are both more experienced. Seny will get his turn but he'll have to wait a bit.

Which may mean he opts for Senegal if he wants the easy route to international football right now. I think the only way he would be getting into the Swiss squad at the moment would be if he were playing for a Premier League team.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Dieng on 10:40 - Feb 23 with 2489 viewsrsonist

Dieng on 10:12 - Feb 23 by CamberleyR

Which may mean he opts for Senegal if he wants the easy route to international football right now. I think the only way he would be getting into the Swiss squad at the moment would be if he were playing for a Premier League team.

Technically he already has opted for Senegal, he was on the bench for them once a few years ago and has recently spoken of hoping to return soon:

https://wiwsport.com/2020/11/17/exclu-seny-dieng-gardien-qpr-je-veux-vraiment-re

On current form I guess it's increasingly likely we can expect to be without him for January 2022's AFCON.
Login to get fewer ads

Dieng on 10:45 - Feb 23 with 2473 viewsrsonist

I'm sure some miserable git out there will turn it against him but (as Devon_4_England commented on the match report) it's been heartening to see Lumley leading the celebrations recently and generally being a really positive character in the squad since returning.
Dieng on 11:05 - Feb 23 with 2439 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dieng on 10:45 - Feb 23 by rsonist

I'm sure some miserable git out there will turn it against him but (as Devon_4_England commented on the match report) it's been heartening to see Lumley leading the celebrations recently and generally being a really positive character in the squad since returning.

Ya, well said. He's got a great attitude.

Dieng on 18:08 - Feb 23 with 2322 viewsTGRRRSSS

Is Afcon still played in January?

Always thought it would hinder you a bit as many wouldn't want the disruption in January, also as a goalkeeper probably more so.

Might be totally wrong, and if people thought it was truly worth it but the disruption every 2 season right in January would surely put many off I'd think.

Post Covid maybe even more so
Dieng on 18:28 - Feb 23 with 2292 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dieng on 18:08 - Feb 23 by TGRRRSSS

Is Afcon still played in January?

Always thought it would hinder you a bit as many wouldn't want the disruption in January, also as a goalkeeper probably more so.

Might be totally wrong, and if people thought it was truly worth it but the disruption every 2 season right in January would surely put many off I'd think.

Post Covid maybe even more so

AFCON 2023 is moved back to the summer apparently.

Dieng on 18:56 - Feb 23 with 2259 viewsGloryHunter

Dieng on 10:45 - Feb 23 by rsonist

Was that Lummers shouting "You Rrrs" after Toddy's goal on Saturday?
Dieng on 10:10 - Feb 24 with 2146 viewsfrancisbowles

Dieng on 13:37 - Feb 22 by BrianMcCarthy

He's had a few questionable moments of late.

Brentford goal (positioning).
Shane Long 1-on-1 (too slow off his line, though he recovered well to save anyway)
Surridge's header (too slow across).

I think that by his usual high standard he'll be disappointed with all three of them to varying degrees.
The great news is that he remained unaffected and quickly returned to his excellent standards.

Your knowledge of goalkeeping vastly superior to mine, Brian. FWIW, I thought he started to come then decided that he might not get there and made sure he covered his angles and the chip.

In your opinion, where should he have been for the Toney touch and how does that compare to where he was?

Was there a realistic chance of him getting across to the far post to save the Surridge header?
Dieng on 10:26 - Feb 24 with 2126 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dieng on 10:10 - Feb 24 by francisbowles

Your knowledge of goalkeeping vastly superior to mine, Brian. FWIW, I thought he started to come then decided that he might not get there and made sure he covered his angles and the chip.

In your opinion, where should he have been for the Toney touch and how does that compare to where he was?

Was there a realistic chance of him getting across to the far post to save the Surridge header?

FB,

I appreciate that this is all subjective which is why I usually ask goalies their opinion on saves they make and goals we concede. Because telling them 'facts' when we're dealing with opinions is dangerous.

But these are my thoughts, for the little they're worth:

1. I agree. But I thought that his starting point for sweeping could have been further out and if it was then he beats Long to it and sweeps it upfield. As it is, he came, withdrew (correctly, at that stage), got into his set-up and his positioning and body shape were spot on to make the 1-on-1 save.

2. Similar to the Boro goal I think he could have been a yard closer to his near post and maybe a yard more off his line, particularly as in a free situation he has nobody marking him so he can get across if he has to for second ball. On a corner, he doesn't have that choice, but he does on a free kick. If he had been it would have increased his chances of stopping the ball flashing across him. He may not have saved it anyway, but it's about percentages and using every advantage he has.

3. Again, possibly not, but there was a good chance, but a very good chance As it is, the ball is in the air a long time from the pass to Surridge and I think, as soon as it hits, he has to go on what Linford Christie calls "The B of the Bang". Then he's at his (new) near post, in the set-up, and I would've backed someone as good as him to get a hand to it.

If it sounds like I'm on a tirade against him, I promise I'm not. Just swapping opinions. I think he's superb and it's between him and Dickie for POTS right now.

Dieng on 10:59 - Feb 24 with 2091 viewsfrancisbowles

Dieng on 10:26 - Feb 24 by BrianMcCarthy

FB,

I appreciate that this is all subjective which is why I usually ask goalies their opinion on saves they make and goals we concede. Because telling them 'facts' when we're dealing with opinions is dangerous.

But these are my thoughts, for the little they're worth:

1. I agree. But I thought that his starting point for sweeping could have been further out and if it was then he beats Long to it and sweeps it upfield. As it is, he came, withdrew (correctly, at that stage), got into his set-up and his positioning and body shape were spot on to make the 1-on-1 save.

2. Similar to the Boro goal I think he could have been a yard closer to his near post and maybe a yard more off his line, particularly as in a free situation he has nobody marking him so he can get across if he has to for second ball. On a corner, he doesn't have that choice, but he does on a free kick. If he had been it would have increased his chances of stopping the ball flashing across him. He may not have saved it anyway, but it's about percentages and using every advantage he has.

3. Again, possibly not, but there was a good chance, but a very good chance As it is, the ball is in the air a long time from the pass to Surridge and I think, as soon as it hits, he has to go on what Linford Christie calls "The B of the Bang". Then he's at his (new) near post, in the set-up, and I would've backed someone as good as him to get a hand to it.

If it sounds like I'm on a tirade against him, I promise I'm not. Just swapping opinions. I think he's superb and it's between him and Dickie for POTS right now.

Thanks Brian. I didn't for a second think that you were 'on his back'. I was just hoping to get a little more analysis. I had never thought about the different aspects of a keeper with a free kick getting close to the corner as opposed to an actual corner. I was thinking corner and keeper starts near back post as easier to move forward than back. So it has been educational for me on that as well as the other views.
Dieng on 11:11 - Feb 24 with 2066 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dieng on 10:59 - Feb 24 by francisbowles

Thanks Brian. I didn't for a second think that you were 'on his back'. I was just hoping to get a little more analysis. I had never thought about the different aspects of a keeper with a free kick getting close to the corner as opposed to an actual corner. I was thinking corner and keeper starts near back post as easier to move forward than back. So it has been educational for me on that as well as the other views.

And plenty may disagree with me on that , FB. Opinions differ.

Another one that divides opinion is "don't get beat on your near post", for instance, which is an old maxim commentators often spill out in a shooting situation.

If the shot comes in from the angle, and you have a defender coming back to either take the far post or slide in and hopefully clear off the line then edging towards the near post makes sense. But in many cases that defender doesn't exist so it's a true one-on-one, so the keeper should stop favouring one post over the other and block as much of the target as possible. And yet sometimes (if the striker decides to go near post and succeeds) the commentator will question the goalie for "getting beat at his near post" whereas many people think he was doing exactly the right thing in that particular situation.

Dieng on 17:12 - Feb 24 with 1961 viewsTGRRRSSS

Dieng on 18:28 - Feb 23 by BrianMcCarthy

AFCON 2023 is moved back to the summer apparently.

Interesting to know, wonder if thats permanent or atm cos of Covid...

Something I never get is why teams don't put a player on both posts for corners these days - or I don't notice it, much if they do.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2021 17:26]
Dieng on 10:01 - Feb 25 with 1847 viewsfrancisbowles

From 2019 the tournament has been switched to the northern hemisphere summer.
Dieng on 22:20 - Feb 25 with 1737 viewsaston_hoop

Any of you owning up to this?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Dieng on 17:50 - Mar 22 with 1485 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Congrats.

Dieng on 18:33 - Mar 22 with 1402 viewsSK_hoops

Dieng on 17:50 - Mar 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Congrats.

If he comes up for a late corner and scores a header I can see the headlines...

Seny-goal.
Dieng on 18:34 - Mar 22 with 1396 viewsflynnbo

Dieng on 18:33 - Mar 22 by SK_hoops

Seny-goal.

Well earned, Seny-congratulations!
Dieng on 18:43 - Mar 22 with 1376 viewsdistortR

Dieng on 18:33 - Mar 22 by SK_hoops

Seny-goal.

senysational
Dieng on 15:35 - Mar 26 with 1089 viewsLongsufferingR

If you're stuck for something to do, Senegal's game kicks of in half an hour and there's a stream on bet365 if you have an account. Not sure whether he's starting though!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024