Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stejskal and Roberts 08:21 - Feb 8 with 4830 viewsHastings_Hoops

Reading the other thread about Dieng with interest and I notice that Stejskal appears to be accepted as the best keeper since Seaman - imho I agree.

I was only 11 - 15 when he was with QPR, which makes me a bit young to understand all things football, but why was there such a tussle for the number 1 jersey with Roberts at the time? I do know there were communication problems in his first season which arguably carried through - eg those three terrible goals against palace.

By all accounts Roberts gets pellets on this board - but he and Jan pretty much shared the jersey throughout the early to mid 90’s?
Stejskal and Roberts on 08:50 - Feb 8 with 3368 viewsbakerloo8

Jan was miles superior but the language, settling in a new country and a few mistakes held him back. Think Gerry was a hig fan of Robert's as well.
Tony I liked, saw him as a Neville Southall mini me, only big Nev was the best keeper I ever saw and Tony couldn't stop the ball going through his legs 🤣. Found his level afterwards at D and R.
Stejskal and Roberts on 08:54 - Feb 8 with 3357 viewsRs_Holy

Does anyone know if Tony Roberts is still with Jackie Bass who was the press manager at QPR when they met (all those years ago)?
Stejskal and Roberts on 09:10 - Feb 8 with 3310 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Stejskal was much better but did make the odd error like palming the ball to Mike Phelan who promptly shot it back over him.

Apparently the Czech for 'yours' sounds like 'Mine' (or something like that) was the excuse.
If it doesn't then pre-internet google that was a stroke of genius.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Stejskal and Roberts on 09:51 - Feb 8 with 3233 viewsdaveB

Stejskal was a far better keeper, Roberts did play a few games when Stejskal was injured and later become number 1 when Stejskal left but Stejskal was very good.
Stejskal and Roberts on 09:53 - Feb 8 with 3237 viewsloftboy

Tony Robert’s second game was away at arsenal, we lost 3-0 and he was like a rabbit caught in headlights, so when he had to come in to face Chelsea I was very worried but he was immense including an incredible save from John Bumstead which summed his career up, great one week poor the next, I remember up at maine road he refused to take goal kicks, Wilkins asked him why, (you could hear it in the crowd) he replied “I can’t, Wilkins screamed at him “yes you fûcking can”

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Stejskal and Roberts on 10:08 - Feb 8 with 3202 viewscolinallcars

Napoleon said we are a nation of goalkeepers.
Stejskal and Roberts on 10:10 - Feb 8 with 3197 viewsnadera78

Stejskal was clearly superior to Roberts.

Roberts was one of those keepers that people call a great shot stopper, which, frankly, is the minimum I expect from a GK. It's also damning with faint praise because it tells everyone that you can't handle a cross. Mind you, that doesn't really matter in modern football - it's a foul every time. Roberts couldn't kick a ball either tbh.

Only thing I could ever think of was that Gerry did sometimes get a bee in his bonnet about certain players.
Stejskal and Roberts on 10:11 - Feb 8 with 3190 viewsgazza1

Stejskal and Roberts on 08:54 - Feb 8 by Rs_Holy

Does anyone know if Tony Roberts is still with Jackie Bass who was the press manager at QPR when they met (all those years ago)?

No he is not with her......
Login to get fewer ads

Stejskal and Roberts on 10:14 - Feb 8 with 3181 viewsAntti_Heinola

Quiz question: before we bought Stejskal, who was top of our list for a new keeper?

Bare bones.

Stejskal and Roberts on 10:18 - Feb 8 with 3170 viewsloftboy

Stejskal and Roberts on 10:14 - Feb 8 by Antti_Heinola

Quiz question: before we bought Stejskal, who was top of our list for a new keeper?

John lukic

Stejskal and Roberts on 10:19 - Feb 8 with 3165 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Peter Schmeichel

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Stejskal and Roberts on 10:20 - Feb 8 with 3163 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Dave Beasant?

Stejskal and Roberts on 10:25 - Feb 8 with 3153 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Jan was head and shoulders above Roberts.

Never proved, but Roberts allegedly had sexual relations with sheep. He started supporting Chelsea until it was spelled out for him that the manager’s name was Mourinho not Merino!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Stejskal and Roberts on 10:35 - Feb 8 with 3131 viewsDorse

I bet it was one of those 'not a chance' things, so I will say either David James or a young Tim Flowers.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Stejskal and Roberts on 10:36 - Feb 8 with 3128 viewsCamberleyR

When I did a bit of research into this a while back, I was quite shocked to see how few league games Big Jan played in the 92/93 season, just 14. After a horror show at home against Palace in December, he made just a sub appearance at home to Wimbledon in March.

The roles were reversed in 93/94, Stejskal played 26 of the 42 league games. What is indisputable is that when Stejskal played, our points per game were higher and goals conceded per game lower.

The facts:
92/93 season

Stejskal
Games 14
Points won 22
Goals conceded 18
Points per game 1.57
Conceded per game 1.28

Roberts
Games 28
Points won 41
Goals conceded 37
Points per game 1.46
Conceded per game 1.32

93/94

Stejskal
Games 26
Points won 41
Conceded 34
PPG 1.57
CPG 1.31

Roberts
Games 16
Points won 19
Conceded 27
PPG 1.19
CPG 1.69

I could never understand the blind spot Gerry Francis had with Coco the Clown. He inherited Stejskal and if he didn't completely trust him he should have signed a keeper he did as Roberts was never a top flight keeper. The figures clearly show had Stejskal played more, in 93/94 especially, we would more than likely have finished higher.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 10:40]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Stejskal and Roberts on 10:38 - Feb 8 with 3118 viewsloftboy

Stejskal and Roberts on 10:35 - Feb 8 by Dorse

I bet it was one of those 'not a chance' things, so I will say either David James or a young Tim Flowers.

It’s definitely Lukic, he was going to be the make weight in seaman’s move to Arsenal, he went to Leeds instead and won another championship.

Stejskal and Roberts on 11:07 - Feb 8 with 3066 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Stejskal and Roberts on 10:38 - Feb 8 by loftboy

It’s definitely Lukic, he was going to be the make weight in seaman’s move to Arsenal, he went to Leeds instead and won another championship.

We signed Seaman after Stejeskal. Didn’t we?

while you might be right, I don’t think so in relation to the question asked.

Stejskal and Roberts on 11:08 - Feb 8 with 3060 viewsHastings_Hoops

Schmeichel for £500k... this much I do know
Stejskal and Roberts on 11:10 - Feb 8 with 3058 viewsHastings_Hoops

Stejskal and Roberts on 10:36 - Feb 8 by CamberleyR

When I did a bit of research into this a while back, I was quite shocked to see how few league games Big Jan played in the 92/93 season, just 14. After a horror show at home against Palace in December, he made just a sub appearance at home to Wimbledon in March.

The roles were reversed in 93/94, Stejskal played 26 of the 42 league games. What is indisputable is that when Stejskal played, our points per game were higher and goals conceded per game lower.

The facts:
92/93 season

Stejskal
Games 14
Points won 22
Goals conceded 18
Points per game 1.57
Conceded per game 1.28

Roberts
Games 28
Points won 41
Goals conceded 37
Points per game 1.46
Conceded per game 1.32

93/94

Stejskal
Games 26
Points won 41
Conceded 34
PPG 1.57
CPG 1.31

Roberts
Games 16
Points won 19
Conceded 27
PPG 1.19
CPG 1.69

I could never understand the blind spot Gerry Francis had with Coco the Clown. He inherited Stejskal and if he didn't completely trust him he should have signed a keeper he did as Roberts was never a top flight keeper. The figures clearly show had Stejskal played more, in 93/94 especially, we would more than likely have finished higher.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 10:40]

Those stats are exactly what I mean - odd
Stejskal and Roberts on 11:10 - Feb 8 with 3056 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I've Just remembered Nigel Spink.

I know he didn't play for us. But it's not a name you hear much now.

Stejskal and Roberts on 11:17 - Feb 8 with 3034 viewsDorse

Stejskal and Roberts on 11:10 - Feb 8 by Metallica_Hoop

I've Just remembered Nigel Spink.

I know he didn't play for us. But it's not a name you hear much now.

He always reminded me of those hillbilly characters you see in horror movies about whom it is said: 'Oh don' you worry 'bout ol' Cleatus. He ain' quite right inna head but he's mos'ly harmless, ain' that right boy?' just before the barn catches fire and he is found covered in blood, wearing a necklace of foreskins.

[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 11:21]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Stejskal and Roberts on 11:22 - Feb 8 with 3017 viewsloftboy

Stejskal and Roberts on 11:07 - Feb 8 by PlanetHonneywood

We signed Seaman after Stejeskal. Didn’t we?

while you might be right, I don’t think so in relation to the question asked.

Seaman 86 stejskal 90

Stejskal and Roberts on 12:01 - Feb 8 with 2953 viewsbakerloo8

Jan played in a World Cup quarter final losing 1-0 to eventual winners West Germany in 1990.
Tony Robert's played 400 games for Dagenham and Redbridge.
Stejskal and Roberts on 12:33 - Feb 8 with 2909 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Stejskal and Roberts on 12:01 - Feb 8 by bakerloo8

Jan played in a World Cup quarter final losing 1-0 to eventual winners West Germany in 1990.
Tony Robert's played 400 games for Dagenham and Redbridge.

Sums it up for me.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stejskal and Roberts on 13:12 - Feb 8 with 2848 viewsCiderwithRsie

Stejskal and Roberts on 09:53 - Feb 8 by loftboy

Tony Robert’s second game was away at arsenal, we lost 3-0 and he was like a rabbit caught in headlights, so when he had to come in to face Chelsea I was very worried but he was immense including an incredible save from John Bumstead which summed his career up, great one week poor the next, I remember up at maine road he refused to take goal kicks, Wilkins asked him why, (you could hear it in the crowd) he replied “I can’t, Wilkins screamed at him “yes you fûcking can”

That was the thing with Roberts, he had a few blinding games and especially early on you thought he might have the makings of a good keeper. Conversely Stejskal made a few ricks especially early on.

But Stejskal got better and if he hadn't wanted to go home I think he'd have become a very good keeper. These days he'd have probably stayed. Whereas Roberts if anything got worse. He never did get any good at GKs and he was better at shot-stopping than the basics of commanding his area.

For the OP, that's why Roberts gets pelters, it's not that he was godawful it's that he was never quite good enough and it was obvious he'd never be more than back-up but when Stejskal went he got the job for years, it was crazy. Karl Ready in front of him was the same, I used to feel sorry for Wales.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024