Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A long walk. 22:37 - Mar 6 with 3334 viewsqpr_1968

before i could drive, 1993, used to walk everywhere.
since then, become reliant on the car and lazy.
but a couple of years ago decided to take a nice long walk from shepherds bush, picked up the thames from kew bridge and walked all the way to teddington lock, don't know how far that was, but knackered me, and after a few pints at the lock, walked down to twickenham and got the 267 back to hammersmith.

my question to you chaps is how far have you walked non stop over the course of a day or two.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

A long walk. on 22:42 - Mar 6 with 2625 viewsloftboy

In New York in 2017 we walked from Times Square to the wrong side of Manhattan to catch a boat so walked to the other side, not sure how far it was but I did close to 21000 steps that day, the whole week we didn’t go near the subway and walked everywhere.
Did the same in Amsterdam and Belfast.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

A long walk. on 22:45 - Mar 6 with 2604 viewsRangersw12

I did 57,000 steps at a rave a couple of years ago
A long walk. on 23:01 - Mar 6 with 2557 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Well there's not much that I can brag about but I completed the Chilterns Challenge a couple of years ago which is a 100km. Took about 30 hours.

I love walking. I've also completed the North Downs Way and South Downs Way.

Saxon Shore Way is my next challenge. I reached Herne Bay in September. Next stop is Sandwich but not sure when or how i'll do it.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

A long walk. on 23:05 - Mar 6 with 2536 viewsqpr_1968

A long walk. on 23:01 - Mar 6 by CliveWilsonSaid

Well there's not much that I can brag about but I completed the Chilterns Challenge a couple of years ago which is a 100km. Took about 30 hours.

Saxon Shore Way is my next challenge. I reached Herne Bay in September. Next stop is Sandwich but not sure when or how i'll do it.

pretty impressive though....30 hours.

walked up box hill once, and done the three hill walk at school.
pitch hill, holmbury hill and leith hill in surrey. 13 miles that was.

A long walk. on 23:08 - Mar 6 with 2523 viewsMrSheen

I’ve got into walking in the last five years, mostly because running aggravated my joints too much. Before then, I thought an hour was a long walk but I’ve done 60 miles in four days along Hadrian’s Wall a couple of years ago and I’m averaging 10km a day in lockdown, either over Richmond Park or around the Thames. My latest gimmick is carrying a rucksack with about 25lb in it. No injuries so far, I feel great doing it.
A long walk. on 23:09 - Mar 6 with 2517 viewsGloryHunter

A long walk. on 23:01 - Mar 6 by CliveWilsonSaid

The Ridgeway. 85 miles in four days. There's so much interesting stuff along the way that you don't really notice how far it is. Having to carry your tent and all your food with you slows you down a bit, mind.

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/en_GB/trails/the-ridgeway/
A long walk. on 23:22 - Mar 6 with 2479 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

A long walk. on 23:09 - Mar 6 by GloryHunter

The Ridgeway. 85 miles in four days. There's so much interesting stuff along the way that you don't really notice how far it is. Having to carry your tent and all your food with you slows you down a bit, mind.

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/en_GB/trails/the-ridgeway/

I've done some of the Ridgeway. Problem with that is transport.

North Downs Way is good because most of it's never more than an hour or so by train from London. South Downs Way takes a bit more thought because it's harder to get to.

A long walk. on 23:34 - Mar 6 with 2449 viewsted_hendrix

Army;
Each year you to have to do a 10 Mile route march with full pack on your back in under 2 hours 10 minutes, we done them at Winchester starting of and finishing at the rifle ranges.
We done an all night what the army call an 'advance to contact' march over the Brecon Beacons in thick snow and minus gawd knows what temperature, couldn't tell you the mileage.
Probably the hardest was In West Germany when we spent three days and nights on foot again advancing to contact, sleeping on the ground or in a ditch, getting up and going again all in full battle gear and on basic army rations of a tin of processed bloody cheese, a small packet of dried biscuits and a bottle of water twice a day, the Bergen-Hohne training area is massive, we walked for bloody miles, we all stank when we finished.
In Madiera me and the missus set of one morning from Prazeres on the Western side of the island down a cliff and spent the day walking through banana fields and gawd knows what else up cliffs down cliffs through villages along levadas and got back that evening, speaking to the hotel Manager we told him where we'd been and what villages we'd been through and he came back with his map and reckoned we'd walked close on 20 miles. Anyone who's been to Madiera will know it aint bloody flat, beautiful but not flat.
I done a few a few miles in Norway on foot too but couldn't tell you the mileage.
If I go off on one here by foot I work the mileage out by post code.
Always wanted to do the Nijmegen Marches but never got the chance unfortunately.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

A long walk. on 23:44 - Mar 6 with 2424 viewsstowmarketrange

I’ve done the Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge and that was around 25 miles up an down some big hills.I was walking like Douglas Bader for the last 5 miles though.I also did the Orwell walk in 2014,which was 25 miles.
I also did the March for men around a few of London’s football grounds 3 years ago.We started at Millwall,then palace,Fulham,Chelshite,Qpr And then on to Wembley.That was 26 miles,and bloody hard going from Harlesden onwards.Made worse by the fact that they made us walk the long way round Wembley stadium.
I’m not sure I could walk a big distance the following day,so I’m reluctant to commit to anything over consecutive days.
A long walk. on 23:44 - Mar 6 with 2424 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

A long walk. on 23:08 - Mar 6 by MrSheen

I’ve got into walking in the last five years, mostly because running aggravated my joints too much. Before then, I thought an hour was a long walk but I’ve done 60 miles in four days along Hadrian’s Wall a couple of years ago and I’m averaging 10km a day in lockdown, either over Richmond Park or around the Thames. My latest gimmick is carrying a rucksack with about 25lb in it. No injuries so far, I feel great doing it.

That's good going Mr Sheen. Watch out for those tides around Richmond. Caught me out a few times.

A long walk. on 01:52 - Mar 7 with 2329 viewsBenny_the_Ball

On a long weekend in Cumbria I convinced my ex-girlfriend to walk around Lake Windermere.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?"
"Of course. It's a lake, how far can it be?"

35 miles and several hours later she was yet to be convinced.
A long walk. on 01:54 - Mar 7 with 2326 viewsqpr_1968

A long walk. on 01:52 - Mar 7 by Benny_the_Ball

On a long weekend in Cumbria I convinced my ex-girlfriend to walk around Lake Windermere.

A long walk. on 02:18 - Mar 7 with 2312 viewsBoston

Isn’t it about time we did a thread on big truck and heavy duty construction driving😉

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

A long walk. on 02:27 - Mar 7 with 2311 viewsqpr_1968

A long walk. on 02:18 - Mar 7 by Boston

Isn’t it about time we did a thread on big truck and heavy duty construction driving😉

no boston, no...

A long walk. on 07:31 - Mar 7 with 2232 viewsMrSheen

A long walk. on 23:44 - Mar 6 by CliveWilsonSaid

That's good going Mr Sheen. Watch out for those tides around Richmond. Caught me out a few times.

True, I was passing Kew Gardens a few weeks ago and the river was about three inches below the level of the path. Put a spring in my step.
A long walk. on 07:42 - Mar 7 with 2208 viewsdistortR

A long walk. on 02:27 - Mar 7 by qpr_1968

no boston, no...

ffs 1968, Karl's ears have pricked up..................
A long walk. on 07:48 - Mar 7 with 2196 viewsstowmarketrange

A long walk. on 01:52 - Mar 7 by Benny_the_Ball

When we played Charlton in the cup a few years ago we came out of the pub in plenty of time to walk to the ground,but I thought it would be nice to walk around the other side of the ground to get to the away end.
We missed the first 10 mins as I didn’t realise how far you had to walk to get to the entrance going that way round.Especially with a full bladder.
A long walk. on 08:26 - Mar 7 with 2168 viewsShotKneesHoop

A long walk. on 23:44 - Mar 6 by stowmarketrange

I’ve done the Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge and that was around 25 miles up an down some big hills.I was walking like Douglas Bader for the last 5 miles though.I also did the Orwell walk in 2014,which was 25 miles.
I also did the March for men around a few of London’s football grounds 3 years ago.We started at Millwall,then palace,Fulham,Chelshite,Qpr And then on to Wembley.That was 26 miles,and bloody hard going from Harlesden onwards.Made worse by the fact that they made us walk the long way round Wembley stadium.
I’m not sure I could walk a big distance the following day,so I’m reluctant to commit to anything over consecutive days.

Take the Three Yorkshire Peaks, chuck in Gordale Scar, Janet's Foss, Malham Cove and the dry valley walk above the Cove to Malham Tarn for your fourth day - and you've got 40 miles of English scenery to die for - as long as it doesn't rain - which is a big ask.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

A long walk. on 08:54 - Mar 7 with 2102 viewsR_from_afar

My mate, Redditch Hoop, once walked the 15 miles from Central Birmingham to where he lives...after a Christmas night out, arriving home at 5am.

Legend

PS: Not suitable for people under 18 years old. Always consult your doctor before undertaking a nighttime walk in the freezing cold while half cut. Bewalkaware.co.uk

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

A long walk. on 11:38 - Mar 7 with 1983 viewshantssi

A long walk. on 23:44 - Mar 6 by stowmarketrange

Did this 3 times, last time 30 years ago!
Completed it in about 7.5 hours, learnt from previous mistakes of not being fit enough and going off too fast.
Love my walking, go to The Lakes every year with mates in June and in September choose somewhere else like the Peaks, Snowdonia, Brecon etc.
We’ve got the South Downs here so try to get out there at least once a month weather depending.
A long walk. on 12:19 - Mar 7 with 1932 viewsTacticalR

@ted_hendrix 'Probably the hardest was In West Germany when we spent three days and nights on foot again advancing to contact, sleeping on the ground or in a ditch, getting up and going again all in full battle gear and on basic army rations of a tin of processed bloody cheese, a small packet of dried biscuits and a bottle of water twice a day'

I remember reading somewhere that the Samurai were supposed to be able to be on the move for a day and a night and be ready for battle. However, I wonder how effective people who haven't slept for a night can be.

Air hostess clique

A long walk. on 12:40 - Mar 7 with 1899 viewskarl

Think my longest walk was coming out of the Palace Lido disco in Douglas at 2am with no buses or taxis running, Isle of Man basically shut down for whole of Sunday in the 80s,so we decided to walk the 14 miles to Port Erin, it was very dark and wasn't easiest job keeping to pavement so when we came across the railway track near the Fairy Bridge we thought that would be a easier and a more direct route home. Set off with a bit more zip in our stride only to end up back in bloody Douglas, went the wrong way!
2hrs and we'd ended up in the same place. Went back sticking to the road and got home after 9am and at least 25 miles completed.
Haven't been a fan of walking since
A long walk. on 12:58 - Mar 7 with 1879 viewsstowmarketrange

A long walk. on 11:38 - Mar 7 by hantssi

Did this 3 times, last time 30 years ago!
Completed it in about 7.5 hours, learnt from previous mistakes of not being fit enough and going off too fast.
Love my walking, go to The Lakes every year with mates in June and in September choose somewhere else like the Peaks, Snowdonia, Brecon etc.
We’ve got the South Downs here so try to get out there at least once a month weather depending.

IT took me about 12 hours for the Yorkshire trek,but I was going so slowly for the last 5 miles that people in wheelchairs offered to swap places with me.
I need the motivation of a charity trek to get me doing anything,as there aren’t that many walks round here that I enjoy.Maybe when things open up properly again I might get out a bit more.
I definitely need to get some weight off that has magically appeared in the last 12 months.
A long walk. on 13:24 - Mar 7 with 1843 viewsDavieQPR

My firm gave me a 6 month paid break mid career so walked round Devon and bits of Cornwall. Nowdays it takes me almost that to get up the stairs.
A long walk. on 13:26 - Mar 7 with 1836 viewslondonscottish

Winner.

End thread.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024