Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview 15:21 - Mar 12 with 2990 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/54504/the-curse-of
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 15:31 - Mar 12 with 2951 viewsloftus77

What a superb analysis - thanks very much. It's all so sad.

'Having your name on the front of the QPR kit in recent years has been akin to signing the wedding register with Henry VIII.' Just gold.

Bring back Classic FM or Guinness, says I.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 15:36]
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 15:54 - Mar 12 with 2881 viewsTheChef

Another great preview Clive - given you're currently churning them out every afternoon it is some going. Although you're fortunate QPR can always provide some good copy...

I'm ashamed to say I laughed out loud at the list of failed sponsors we have had. Also LOL'd at this:

‘When The Fun Stops Stop’ proudly paraded the same way the friendly neighbourhood paedophile often has a cute dog.

The proliferation of betting is a real bugbear of mine, given the distress and poverty it creates. Would be nice if this government could sort it out (although I think the current situation is due to changes made by the Blair government - they're all as bad as each other).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 16:00 - Mar 12 with 2872 viewsbosh67

Sponsor the ground and have Kiyan Prince Foundation on the shirts.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 16:13 - Mar 12 with 2849 viewsNorthernr

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 16:00 - Mar 12 by bosh67

Sponsor the ground and have Kiyan Prince Foundation on the shirts.

If the ground sponsorship was worth anything they'd have sold it.
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 16:51 - Mar 12 with 2733 viewsMatch82

The cynic in me wonders whether they had an inkling when they did the flash sale on kits a while back. I just got a notification that mine should finally arrive in a couple of days, not quite as excited about that now as I was.

I do hope, and expect, the club to try and spin this into a positive. Put KPF on the front of the shirts for the rest of the year (if they are allowed) and release a limited edition of the shirt with that sponsor to fans, 50% off if you've already bought one with the old sponsor. Who wouldn't want a QPR shirt with KPF as a sponsor?
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 17:05 - Mar 12 with 2693 viewsOldPedro

New shirt sponsor

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/senate-bespoke-become-new-shirt-sponsors-12

[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 17:06]

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 17:33 - Mar 12 with 2597 viewsscheza

As a Football Index user, and one who defended the platform to other fans when the sponsorship was announced, this week has made me feel more than a little sick.

The company was clearly terribly run (we'll see just how badly once the administrators get to work - which should also give us an idea of how much they owe the Rs) and the management had tried to cover up their mounting losses. In principle I do think the product amounted to more than a ponzi scheme but (and it's a big but) it had clearly descended into one by the end. I suspect by the time we signed the shirt deal, FI was already getting into the dangerous territory of needing to add more users just to stay afloat - and QPR were a roll of the dice to do that.

With my Rs hat on, there are two issues that this raises:
1) Does the Club have a responsibility to do full due diligence on any business it takes sponsorship money from, thereby endorsing?
2) Does the Club have a duty of care to fans not to endorse a business that has potential to cause them harm?

I think the first is a fairly black and white 'yes', both financially and morally. I'm not an accountant but I cannot see it being overly difficult for the club to seek sufficient, evidenced assurances on funds (and source of those funds) to ensure any sponsor can meet its obligations to the club and to any fans who use its services/buy its products.

The second is more nuanced. Recalling Clive's excellent piece on social media abuse, there are clearly different lines for different people as to what constitutes too harmful. If we ban betting ads, do we ban alcohol ads? Fast food? Airlines because of their environmental impact? etc.

If I were running the club I honestly don't know where I would draw the line, but what I would say is there are so many harmful practices in the gambling industry, and so many companies (all of them?) that are geared up to exploit the vulnerable, it just doesn't feel right.

Which brings us back to Football Index. With my FI user hat on, I bought into the concept fully. The marketing spiel always sought to distance it from 'pure' gambling and I believed it. I didn't feel like a poor sap who got lured in. I work in finance, I have a solid enough understanding of markets, I know some very bright people who felt the same way about FI. Over the past year I deposited a decent chunk of cash into it, a solid proportion of which came after the sponsorship announcement. FI felt like a proper company and the reflected prestige the sponsorship deal lent it underlined this in my mind.

All of which to say I didn't lose money because of QPR - but they probably made my losses worse. And I'm sure there are other fans who lost money purely because QPR chose to take FI's sponsorship.

I take full responsibility for my decisions and am now dealing with the resulting losses. But given Football Index were likely already struggling financially in September, and given it was a betting platform with all the risks to fans that entails, I do feel let down. I hope this is a lesson the club will now learn. But I don't hold out much hope.

*Edit: I see we have agreed a deal with a construction company for the rest of the season. A step in the right direction...*
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 17:35]
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 17:40 - Mar 12 with 2567 viewsNoelmc

Bearing in mind our impressive Grim Reaper effect on our shirt sponsors to date, I'd have been very tempted to put another local football club name on them for the remainder of the season in the hope that a huge Russian money laundering scandal would see them expelled from English football forever. (PS It's not Brentford or Fulham).
Login to get fewer ads

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 18:13 - Mar 12 with 2482 viewsPinnerPaul

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 17:05 - Mar 12 by OldPedro

New shirt sponsor

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/senate-bespoke-become-new-shirt-sponsors-12

[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 17:06]

Surely no one can object to a good old builder........................ can they?...................can they?
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 18:54 - Mar 12 with 2393 viewsRangersw12

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 18:13 - Mar 12 by PinnerPaul

Surely no one can object to a good old builder........................ can they?...................can they?

You would hope not but I would now be concerned for my job if I worked for that company!
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 19:34 - Mar 12 with 2300 viewsdubaistu

I know Jason and can safely say, there is nobody who's sponsored our shirts in recent times who loves the club as much as him. He's also had various sponsor boards up around the ground. Top lad.
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 19:45 - Mar 12 with 2279 viewsjoe90

Good read as always Clive. Since lockdown your previews have been part of pre-match ritual and have actually added a lot enjoyment to the season for me, thank you.
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 20:49 - Mar 12 with 2152 viewsMatch82

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 16:51 - Mar 12 by Match82

The cynic in me wonders whether they had an inkling when they did the flash sale on kits a while back. I just got a notification that mine should finally arrive in a couple of days, not quite as excited about that now as I was.

I do hope, and expect, the club to try and spin this into a positive. Put KPF on the front of the shirts for the rest of the year (if they are allowed) and release a limited edition of the shirt with that sponsor to fans, 50% off if you've already bought one with the old sponsor. Who wouldn't want a QPR shirt with KPF as a sponsor?

14 minutes between the time I thought of and posted that and the time it was completely irrelevant.
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 21:05 - Mar 12 with 2129 viewspeejaybee

Do they do Football Stadiums.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 23:00 - Mar 12 with 1971 viewsjohncharles

Well that’s dead handy. I just bought a shirt in the sale. I’ll wear it tomorrow before everyone susses it’s out of date ☹️

Strong and stable my arse.

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 07:54 - Mar 13 with 1745 viewsM40R

Just shows how hard it is to get a "clean" sponsor. Not that I'm saying anything about the new sponsor , but the house building industry in general is not exactly ethical. Witness for example the use of non fire proof wall insulation in flats - which is a huge scandal - or the attempt to sell houses as leasehold so as to inflate ground rents.

Great article though.
P.S. I note that the recent match previews no longer carry results odds or did I imagine that they ever happened?
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 07:55 - Mar 13 with 1742 viewsDiscodroids

Tech colossus 'CSF Computer Solutions' was my all time Favourite.

I do remember hurling that black away shirt into the kitchen bin in a lord byron petulant dandy flourish when we lost to Stockport county in the cup that season, then feeling guilty about it a couple of hours later, and mining it from under the cabbage leaves and tea bags while my first wife looked on in misery at the state of our holy union. She divorced me a few month later.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2021 7:57]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 08:46 - Mar 13 with 1667 viewsDorse

Things that shouldn't sponsor QPR:
Betting firms
Incredibly horrible sugary drinks
Kebab vans, especially the one that used to park up outside Route 66 in Swindon
Arms dealers
Anal bleaching products

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 08:54 - Mar 13 with 1658 viewsgazza1

Fook Norf.......I read your stuff a lot but christ it would do my head in writing it, I couldnt actually.

I wonder......what do you prefer - writing about the many parts of the game that you do or, actually, watching it the matches on Saturdays and all that goes with it??
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 09:23 - Mar 13 with 1613 viewsbosh67

At least it isn't a betting co. Good, we don't need any more betting companies! I lost £50 on Football Index lasting the season!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 09:54 - Mar 13 with 1580 viewsNorthernr

The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 08:54 - Mar 13 by gazza1

Fook Norf.......I read your stuff a lot but christ it would do my head in writing it, I couldnt actually.

I wonder......what do you prefer - writing about the many parts of the game that you do or, actually, watching it the matches on Saturdays and all that goes with it??

There’s nothing in my life I prefer to going to football on Saturday.
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 11:15 - Mar 13 with 1479 viewsrsonist

Like many I'm sure, I'm kinda into the idea of a return to a less abjectly globalised and rapacious pre-betting shirt advertising landscape. Then I remember I've probably barely liked any branding design since those very times. Can we sign Huski Chocolate from Millwall?

Still, aesthetics aside, it's nice to showcase a Rangers business if the powers that be are effectively punitive towards supporting social organizations. Maybe several more temporary micro-sponsorships over a season could be a thing? Sell em plain to the fans...
The curse of the QPR shirt sponsor — Preview on 14:59 - Mar 13 with 1242 viewsDylanP

You are a brilliant analyst and writer Clive. Thanks

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024