Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fans forum tonight 17:07 - Mar 23 with 8579 viewsNorthernr

Tonight, 7pm, doesn't seem to have been publicised much or attracted any attention, but I'll do the usual write up afterwards. Details here, use this thread etc...

Fans forum tonight on 11:11 - Mar 24 with 2440 viewsrsonist

Fans forum tonight on 09:35 - Mar 24 by LunarJetman

I’d argue that you can’t please everyone so why bother? People will be unhappy whatever the answer they’re given. The Maverick Team was rage tweeting away after his/their question wasn’t answered to his/their satisfaction. It’s tiresome to have to sit through the nonsense and doesn’t help anyone or solve anything.

Yeah perfect example of so much there.

"Typically evasive, uncomprehending, stubborn and disrespectful. [...] Deliberately left that for the club to decide, the onus shouldn’t be on us? [...] Anything else for now, gets complicated. Who has got time for that. [...] He says the energy must come from fans, fan groups, meetings, his staff are on furlough [...] Our aim was to prompt and walk away. Let him get on with it, or not. "
Fans forum tonight on 11:13 - Mar 24 with 2432 viewsTheChef

Fans forum tonight on 09:19 - Mar 24 by DannyPaddox

I went to a fans forum one winter evening of 2007 in a cold draughty room somewhere in the innards of the South Africa Road Stand. Paladini and Gregory were holding court like a music-hall double act. At the back of the room there were tea cups and tea bags but an empty tea-urn. After direct action from the supporters in attendance the tea-urn was filled and switched on. The main question for the first quarter of an hour from the fans and Paladini and Gregory was ... has that water boiled yet?

Surely the best fans forum ever.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Fans forum tonight on 14:43 - Mar 24 with 2247 viewsDorse

That picture of Lee Hoos reminds me of someone you might see in the background on an episode of Time Team.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Fans forum tonight on 14:49 - Mar 24 with 2239 viewsTheChef

Fans forum tonight on 14:43 - Mar 24 by Dorse

That picture of Lee Hoos reminds me of someone you might see in the background on an episode of Time Team.

I think they're normally better turned out though.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Fans forum tonight on 14:59 - Mar 24 with 2212 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Fans forum tonight on 14:43 - Mar 24 by Dorse

Digging up old fossils was more Phil Beard’s thing.
Fans forum tonight on 16:01 - Mar 24 with 2161 viewsdenhamhoop2

Fans forum tonight on 07:59 - Mar 24 by thame_hoops

If FFP didn’t exist maybe

Only really effects EFL clubs so if they go up and stay up just pay the fine same as we would've done if we stayed up.
Fans forum tonight on 16:04 - Mar 24 with 2153 viewsdenhamhoop2

Fans forum tonight on 09:47 - Mar 24 by toboboly

Some bugger'll only complain about the quality of the skull transfers.

Do think Hitler 88 could be a good seller though to a certain section of the community
Fans forum tonight on 19:26 - Mar 24 with 1999 viewsDorse

Fans forum tonight on 16:04 - Mar 24 by denhamhoop2

Do think Hitler 88 could be a good seller though to a certain section of the community

More of a Chelsea fan, to be fair.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Login to get fewer ads

Fans forum tonight on 20:09 - Mar 24 with 1955 viewsdenhamhoop2

Am tempted to order next seasons top with Hitler 88 on the back to see if they print it
Fans forum tonight on 20:29 - Mar 24 with 1929 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Fans forum tonight on 21:15 - Mar 23 by BlackCrowe

Seriously though, for a chairman he seems properly transparent and respectful of the customer base (yuck). Yes the things could've been better eg. Stan, but overall, it's a tough gig the club has got at the moment and he handled well enough i reckon.

Small but important point - Hoos is not the the chairman, he doesn't even sit on the QPR board. Amit is Chairman, Lee is Chief Executive.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/club/staff-directory/

Also he's not completely transparent (which is not necessarily a bad thing). He's a master of throwing a bone whilst keeping key cards close to his chest. To be honest he doesn't have to try too hard with some of the questions submitted.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2021 20:36]
Fans forum tonight on 21:30 - Mar 24 with 1873 viewsGloryHunter

Genuine question - does QPR get the £8.35 streaming fee for away games? Eg: if I had paid £10 to watch Reading away (which I didn't), who would have got my £8.35 - Reading or QPR?
Fans forum tonight on 22:27 - Mar 24 with 1799 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Fans forum tonight on 21:30 - Mar 24 by GloryHunter

Genuine question - does QPR get the £8.35 streaming fee for away games? Eg: if I had paid £10 to watch Reading away (which I didn't), who would have got my £8.35 - Reading or QPR?

Yes I guess so as even though it's away we pay for it through the QPR website. Reading would get their share of subscriptions from their fans.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Fans forum tonight on 16:42 - Mar 25 with 1583 viewsPinnerPaul

Just finished watching it, annoyed by the referees question (as you would expect!)

Came from George the boy who does the Junior Hoops Vlogging (Is that the word!) I think.

Firstly, I'm sure Paul M, said he that he claimed we hadn't been awarded any penalties this season????????!!!!! and then prompting MW to say that a simple letter of apology wasn't enough.

I wonder what Mark suggests - a re run of the game, summary execution of the official perhaps?

Also, haven't noticed many apologies for mistakes made by him and the players?

They make mistakes as do the officials - we have to accept the former's and so we have to accept the latter's as well.

That's another rant over from the deranged referee!
Fans forum tonight on 18:36 - Mar 25 with 1514 viewsOldPedro

Fans forum tonight on 16:42 - Mar 25 by PinnerPaul

Just finished watching it, annoyed by the referees question (as you would expect!)

Came from George the boy who does the Junior Hoops Vlogging (Is that the word!) I think.

Firstly, I'm sure Paul M, said he that he claimed we hadn't been awarded any penalties this season????????!!!!! and then prompting MW to say that a simple letter of apology wasn't enough.

I wonder what Mark suggests - a re run of the game, summary execution of the official perhaps?

They make mistakes as do the officials - we have to accept the former's and so we have to accept the latter's as well.

Refs, players and managers all make mistakes but it does feel to me as if the general standard of refereeing we see in the Championship is relatively poor. Inconsistency from the same ref in the same game is very frustrating and seems to happen in almost every match.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Fans forum tonight on 13:10 - Mar 26 with 1429 viewsPinnerPaul

Fans forum tonight on 18:36 - Mar 25 by OldPedro

Refs, players and managers all make mistakes but it does feel to me as if the general standard of refereeing we see in the Championship is relatively poor. Inconsistency from the same ref in the same game is very frustrating and seems to happen in almost every match.

I actually agree that inconsistency within a game is the most annoying and most avoidable error.

To imply, as MW suggests, that there is no come back when refs make mistakes is just wrong.

As I've said before EVERY decision (and non decision) at this level is marked by an assessor and for 'key match incidents' the official is asked why he did (or did not) make a particular decision.

The majority of the marks awarded to a referee are based on this assessment and without being near the top of the league table, then they don't get promoted, and of course, for consistently poor marks they will get demoted.

The problem of course, is what the fans perception of a 'poor' decision isn't necessarily the same as a qualified assessors.

Subjective decisions, such as many penalties for example are often just down to opinion, versus the very poor, and wrong in law, non red card for the foul on Dykes in the Brentford away game, which would have been rightly marked down as a result.
Fans forum tonight on 16:44 - Mar 26 with 1334 viewsOldPedro

Fans forum tonight on 13:10 - Mar 26 by PinnerPaul

I actually agree that inconsistency within a game is the most annoying and most avoidable error.

To imply, as MW suggests, that there is no come back when refs make mistakes is just wrong.

As I've said before EVERY decision (and non decision) at this level is marked by an assessor and for 'key match incidents' the official is asked why he did (or did not) make a particular decision.

The majority of the marks awarded to a referee are based on this assessment and without being near the top of the league table, then they don't get promoted, and of course, for consistently poor marks they will get demoted.

The problem of course, is what the fans perception of a 'poor' decision isn't necessarily the same as a qualified assessors.

Subjective decisions, such as many penalties for example are often just down to opinion, versus the very poor, and wrong in law, non red card for the foul on Dykes in the Brentford away game, which would have been rightly marked down as a result.

The lack of accountability doesn't help either. As fans, we don't really understand how the assessors work and what they consider good or bad refereeing. We don't know where officials have been marked down for poor performance or even where they apologize to clubs for incorrect decisions.

When it comes to the subjective decisions, we never know why the ref has come to their decision. If you look at rugby union for example, having refs wearing microphones explaining how they have come to a big decision helps understanding - even if you still disagree with the ref, you get to understand how they have got to that decision.

Fans forum tonight on 17:18 - Mar 26 with 1294 viewsdenhamhoop2

Fans forum tonight on 16:42 - Mar 25 by PinnerPaul

The actual question Paul M asked was that QPR haven't had a penalty this year which is true. The other point is in this day of social media players and managers have to explain their decision making why not refs. 35000 a year and 600 quid a match so with a game every match day around 60k a year is not to be sniffed at and only being officially marked by assessors all former refs so probably more sympathetically judged than by most
Fans forum tonight on 17:33 - Mar 26 with 1280 viewsPinnerPaul

Fans forum tonight on 16:44 - Mar 26 by OldPedro

The lack of accountability doesn't help either. As fans, we don't really understand how the assessors work and what they consider good or bad refereeing. We don't know where officials have been marked down for poor performance or even where they apologize to clubs for incorrect decisions.

When it comes to the subjective decisions, we never know why the ref has come to their decision. If you look at rugby union for example, having refs wearing microphones explaining how they have come to a big decision helps understanding - even if you still disagree with the ref, you get to understand how they have got to that decision.

All very fair points.

My insight only comes from being a qualified referee and listening to podcasts, tutorials etc - especially over the last 12 months, without many actual games to do!

I fear 'opening up' may lead to more, not less, angst directed at referees, but that's just a personal opinion.

As far as listening in goes, I think I've said before, you might be disappointed that its not quite as revealing as you might hope. Certainly the CL referees I've heard (Via UEFA videos) don't say anything too clever or illuminating!

On the accountability side, I would add that if a referee has been on the EFL for many years, its pretty obvious he's not quite good enough to be at the very top, bit like most of the teams at our level!, but equally compared to most, he's going to be better than anything else out there and he would certainly be 'encouraged' to step down if he was under performing week in week out.

As Clive has pointed out many times, there are referees whose 'style' or way of working may grate, but that doesn't mean that technically they are doing much wrong.

As we all know we have seen many players down the years who fit that particular profile as well - of course the most obvious example being the 'lazy' shouts directed at Mr Eze!

Thanks for discussion, much easier to have without a failed penalty shout festering in the minds of us all!
Fans forum tonight on 17:49 - Mar 26 with 1260 viewsPinnerPaul

Fans forum tonight on 17:18 - Mar 26 by denhamhoop2

The actual question Paul M asked was that QPR haven't had a penalty this year which is true. The other point is in this day of social media players and managers have to explain their decision making why not refs. 35000 a year and 600 quid a match so with a game every match day around 60k a year is not to be sniffed at and only being officially marked by assessors all former refs so probably more sympathetically judged than by most

Well the question was even more daft then - so what, just a statistical blip - unless anyone seriously thinks that refs get told 'Right, don't forget, QPR have had 5 pens already, so no more, right?!"

Players & managers explain their decision making on social medai? ...Yeah Right - I like MW and he's doing a great job, but he doesn't even explain himslef on the offy interviews and as for players....................................

So in the Prem they get less than half a YEAR, what most of the players and managers are on in a WEEK - and that means they have to explain themselves every week? Come on!
Fans forum tonight on 20:01 - Mar 26 with 1210 viewsOldPedro

Fans forum tonight on 17:33 - Mar 26 by PinnerPaul

All very fair points.

My insight only comes from being a qualified referee and listening to podcasts, tutorials etc - especially over the last 12 months, without many actual games to do!

I fear 'opening up' may lead to more, not less, angst directed at referees, but that's just a personal opinion.

As far as listening in goes, I think I've said before, you might be disappointed that its not quite as revealing as you might hope. Certainly the CL referees I've heard (Via UEFA videos) don't say anything too clever or illuminating!

On the accountability side, I would add that if a referee has been on the EFL for many years, its pretty obvious he's not quite good enough to be at the very top, bit like most of the teams at our level!, but equally compared to most, he's going to be better than anything else out there and he would certainly be 'encouraged' to step down if he was under performing week in week out.

As Clive has pointed out many times, there are referees whose 'style' or way of working may grate, but that doesn't mean that technically they are doing much wrong.

As we all know we have seen many players down the years who fit that particular profile as well - of course the most obvious example being the 'lazy' shouts directed at Mr Eze!

Thanks for discussion, much easier to have without a failed penalty shout festering in the minds of us all!

Always good to have a reasoned discussion

Fans forum tonight on 23:14 - Mar 26 with 1133 viewsGloryHunter

PP, in years gone by, there were calls for retired pro footballers to become referees. What are your views on that idea?
Fans forum tonight on 14:12 - Mar 27 with 1031 viewsPinnerPaul

Fans forum tonight on 23:14 - Mar 26 by GloryHunter

PP, in years gone by, there were calls for retired pro footballers to become referees. What are your views on that idea?

Most referee have played football, loved it, but realised, very early on in some cases, that they were never going to 'make it' so decided o the refereeing path.

From experience, that seems to be the main reason why most take it up, along with, like me, helping out at their son's games and getting 'hooked'.

As for Ex players I don't think the demand/will is there, difficult to play at a decent level and then go 'back', as it were, to training/qualifying/passing exams/ fitness tests/constant marking just to get back to where they were, but only refereeing!

That's not having a go, merely human nature - very few top level refs drop back to doing lower level games after they retire, merely because the motivation just isn't there after doing it at the top levels.
Fans forum tonight on 16:14 - Mar 27 with 972 viewsdenhamhoop2

Fans forum tonight on 14:12 - Mar 27 by PinnerPaul

Most referee have played football, loved it, but realised, very early on in some cases, that they were never going to 'make it' so decided o the refereeing path.

From experience, that seems to be the main reason why most take it up, along with, like me, helping out at their son's games and getting 'hooked'.

As for Ex players I don't think the demand/will is there, difficult to play at a decent level and then go 'back', as it were, to training/qualifying/passing exams/ fitness tests/constant marking just to get back to where they were, but only refereeing!

That's not having a go, merely human nature - very few top level refs drop back to doing lower level games after they retire, merely because the motivation just isn't there after doing it at the top levels.

Would say PP I always found it a bit strange when playing Sunday morning football we had a young referee because well if still young and fit enough why would you rather referee than play. Do particularly remember getting a 16 year old reffing his first mens football game and it ended up in a 24 man brawl and him crying whilst his Dad watching from the sideline called us a "Disgrace to Football" . I blame the League appointments as it was a promotion decider and bound to get a bit "tasty" not the sort of game for a debut.
Fans forum tonight on 17:02 - Mar 27 with 934 viewsPinnerPaul

Fans forum tonight on 16:14 - Mar 27 by denhamhoop2

Would say PP I always found it a bit strange when playing Sunday morning football we had a young referee because well if still young and fit enough why would you rather referee than play. Do particularly remember getting a 16 year old reffing his first mens football game and it ended up in a 24 man brawl and him crying whilst his Dad watching from the sideline called us a "Disgrace to Football" . I blame the League appointments as it was a promotion decider and bound to get a bit "tasty" not the sort of game for a debut.

You're correct, maybe should have added a 3rd category - the teenagers who see it as decent money - which it is at that age.

What you describe, is exactly, as you say, a huge error by the appointments officer.

That said, any referee needs to be realistic as to their abilities and what they want out of it,

Stop enjoying it or take too many matches 'above' your level and that's only going to end one way!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024