Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. 09:56 - Apr 25 with 5359 viewsSnipper

My nephew is a Chelsea fan, and he was eulogising about Mason Mount yesterday. He said, ‘take it from me, Mason Mount will one day win the Ballon d'Or.’ We ended up having a semi heated discussion about it.
He said that Mason Mount is the best player England has. I said that Jack Grealish and Phil Foden were better.
He said that all Chelsea’s play goes through MM, and Fodan only looks good owing to the better players in his team.
I’ve only watched a very small amount of Premier League football this season, so who’s right?

I do apologise writing about a Chelsea player :-((.
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 19:27 - Apr 25 with 1436 viewsdaveB

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 19:21 - Apr 25 by gazza1

I would find a place for Grealish....good player.

Shame about the Manager though!!!

yeah terrible manager, got England to a World Cup Semi Final, Nations League Semi Final and brought through some great young players. Useless
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 20:28 - Apr 25 with 1377 viewsLazyFan

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Trippier

Rice
Foden
Grealish

Kane
Sterling
Greenwood

zzzzzzzzzz

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 23:39 - Apr 25 with 1318 viewskensalriser

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 19:27 - Apr 25 by daveB

yeah terrible manager, got England to a World Cup Semi Final, Nations League Semi Final and brought through some great young players. Useless

You'd think after 55 years of winning nothing we'd all have finally got the message that maybe England just hasn't produced enough top class players at the same time. But no, it's always the manager's fault.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 07:39 - Apr 26 with 1234 viewswestberksr

Foden for me; Mount is a very decent & consistent player (as much as I hate to say it about any of their players) but Foden has been sprinkled with the magic fairy dust. That kid is so good and stands out in one of the most expensively assembled teams ever seen; rather than see that as a detraction I see it as a positive.

all 3 do things slightly differently but Foden & Grealish have the skills to beat players easily; haven't seen that in Mount yet & not digging him out but just think the other 2 can do what he does but also stroll past someone with ease.

Grealish is a master of the dark arts in winning free kicks etc and happy to run with the ball, carrying it and tremendous pace, and has carried and kept up Villa for 2 years; really ought to move this summer to progress in status. Seems to be a bit of a dick at times which probably doesn't sit too well with Southgate.

with Southgate being a pretty pragmatic tactician we'll never see all 3 as that would require a Citeh 'no striker' formation
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 08:32 - Apr 26 with 1203 viewsHunterhoop

Personally, and I’m probably in a minority, but I would put Grealish at the top of those three.

I think he’s an excellent player who is the key to everything Villa do. It all goes through him. Other teams target him and can afford to target him in a way they can’t with Mount and Foden due to the quality of players Chelsea and especially City have around them.

Against weaker sides, I’d want to see both Grealish AND Foden in a midfield 3 along with Rice or Henderson, and then have Rashford and Sterling either side of Kane.

Against the stronger sides with more attacking threat, I would play Foden instead of Rashford and have both Henderson and Rice in midfield with Grealish as the creative playmaker with them. Leaves Foden and Sterling either side of Kane.

I don’t see England being rock solid at the back with a back 4, so we need to be able to offer lots of threat and outscore teams. Now is not the time for Southgate to lose his bottle. I though the last round of qualifiers he played very conservative sides. A midfield 3 of Rice, Phillips and Mount was very unnecessarily dull. Meant we played in front of the oppo too much and didn’t have enough players in the box, especially with Kane dropping deep so often.
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 08:44 - Apr 26 with 1171 viewsngbqpr

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 08:32 - Apr 26 by Hunterhoop

Personally, and I’m probably in a minority, but I would put Grealish at the top of those three.

I think he’s an excellent player who is the key to everything Villa do. It all goes through him. Other teams target him and can afford to target him in a way they can’t with Mount and Foden due to the quality of players Chelsea and especially City have around them.

Against weaker sides, I’d want to see both Grealish AND Foden in a midfield 3 along with Rice or Henderson, and then have Rashford and Sterling either side of Kane.

Against the stronger sides with more attacking threat, I would play Foden instead of Rashford and have both Henderson and Rice in midfield with Grealish as the creative playmaker with them. Leaves Foden and Sterling either side of Kane.

I don’t see England being rock solid at the back with a back 4, so we need to be able to offer lots of threat and outscore teams. Now is not the time for Southgate to lose his bottle. I though the last round of qualifiers he played very conservative sides. A midfield 3 of Rice, Phillips and Mount was very unnecessarily dull. Meant we played in front of the oppo too much and didn’t have enough players in the box, especially with Kane dropping deep so often.

Sorry Hunter that was meant to be an up vote not a down 😱

Spot on analysis.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 08:46 - Apr 26 with 1169 viewsnumptydumpty

Tbf I would have James Maddison in this debate also but such is the depth of attacking young talent available for England right now, it seems Maddison us unlikely to make the England squad.

Foden is still so young but already outstanding. Makes a massive difference nearly every time. What a player.

Grealish has the maverick side to him, but certainly is the x factor, but not always for me on it as often as Foden.

Mount is he very Lampard. I not notice him myself as much as the other two, but a very tidy player who can be relied on but plays different role so not worth comparing.

Perhaps emergence of Bellingham too soon but I would have Maddison in squad ahead of him this time ie too early for him.

Anyone remember Walcott in squad for World Cup as a 17 year old. Had hardly played any first team football for his club and was not used at all.

Don't wish that happen again.

But if we predicting which player be best now and through out his career, it's FODEN everytime. What a player, he already is, and he only 20 years old now.

Tbf England in Midfield and attack have an abundance of riches like no time I have ever known. Hopefully we can achieve what the potential suggests we should.

Looking forward to watching England - that's a new one on me. 🤣🤣🤣
[Post edited 26 Apr 2021 8:49]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 08:53 - Apr 26 with 1156 viewsnumptydumpty

Someone made a cheeky mention of Eze.

Indeed.

But the fact the talent of Eze is nowhere near the England squad as yet suggests how many great options England have at this present time.

We might even beat Iceland now on a good day. We that good. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Login to get fewer ads

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 09:08 - Apr 26 with 1139 viewsgazza1

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 19:27 - Apr 25 by daveB

Whenever he gets to play a top team in the real competition he gets beat....very lucky to get to the semi-finals of the world cup, didn't grab it at all, got there a gets beat by a pretty average side. done FA really.

How he has left Grealish out for so long is mystifying, picks the wrong players overall many times.

Limited Manager indeed, won nothing, the Clubs have brought the players through - not the Manager of England.
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 09:10 - Apr 26 with 1138 viewsMaggsinho

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 08:46 - Apr 26 by numptydumpty

Tbf I would have James Maddison in this debate also but such is the depth of attacking young talent available for England right now, it seems Maddison us unlikely to make the England squad.

Foden is still so young but already outstanding. Makes a massive difference nearly every time. What a player.

Grealish has the maverick side to him, but certainly is the x factor, but not always for me on it as often as Foden.

Mount is he very Lampard. I not notice him myself as much as the other two, but a very tidy player who can be relied on but plays different role so not worth comparing.

Perhaps emergence of Bellingham too soon but I would have Maddison in squad ahead of him this time ie too early for him.

Anyone remember Walcott in squad for World Cup as a 17 year old. Had hardly played any first team football for his club and was not used at all.

But if we predicting which player be best now and through out his career, it's FODEN everytime. What a player, he already is, and he only 20 years old now.

Tbf England in Midfield and attack have an abundance of riches like no time I have ever known. Hopefully we can achieve what the potential suggests we should.

Difference is, is that Bellingham is already appearing in the Bundesliga and Champions League. I'd have him in the squad.

I think Mount is the type of player a manager likes where you know what you're going to get from him - he's always a 7, never a 5, never a 9 but a good steady player you can rely on.
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 09:25 - Apr 26 with 1123 viewsCamberleyR

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 08:46 - Apr 26 by numptydumpty

"Perhaps emergence of Bellingham too soon but I would have Maddison in squad ahead of him this time ie too early for him.

Anyone remember Walcott in squad for World Cup as a 17 year old. Had hardly played any first team football for his club and was not used at all"

Sorry mate, that's a nonsense comparison. Bellingham has played over 40 games for Borussia Dortmund this season. He's a certainty to be in the Euros squad.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 09:33 - Apr 26 with 1102 viewsMrSheen

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 09:25 - Apr 26 by CamberleyR

"Perhaps emergence of Bellingham too soon but I would have Maddison in squad ahead of him this time ie too early for him.

Anyone remember Walcott in squad for World Cup as a 17 year old. Had hardly played any first team football for his club and was not used at all"

Sorry mate, that's a nonsense comparison. Bellingham has played over 40 games for Borussia Dortmund this season. He's a certainty to be in the Euros squad.

About 4 months before being picked for the World Cup, Walcott had been completely snuffed out of a game by Matthew Rose!

The problem for a player like Grealish is he has only played in teams where everything revolves around him - similar to Le Tissier. He'll have a fraction of the opportunities in a team with other talents demanding the ball, which he will find frustrating, and he'll be better marshalled when he does. I can see him being more damaging off the bench.
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 09:36 - Apr 26 with 1098 viewsWestbourneR

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 18:59 - Apr 25 by BAWHoops

Watching the League Cup Final you realise that Foden is operating at a different level to Grealish and Mount. Wow.

FWIW I'd have this as the team

..................Pickford.............
Walker.....Stones.....Maguire....Shaw
....................Rice.....................
.............Henderson..Mount...........
....Foden..........Kane........Rashford..

That's a damn good shout for our best 11.

I'm tempted by Chilwell and I do wonder whether we need a set piece taker in there. If Hendo could player defensive mid I'd be tempted to drop Rice and push Mount deeper. Room for Sancho, Sterling or Grealish.

Surely we can't drop Sterling?

Aside from central defense, it's a good team.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 10:21 - Apr 26 with 1064 viewsrsonist

Most of these suggestions amount to Keeganism. He may not have found the perfect balance just yet but I can't get with the undercurrent of hostility towards Southgate attempting to prepare a structurally sound and consistent side for tournament football in the limited time he's got.
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 10:28 - Apr 26 with 1039 viewsTheChef

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 08:53 - Apr 26 by numptydumpty

Someone made a cheeky mention of Eze.

Indeed.

But the fact the talent of Eze is nowhere near the England squad as yet suggests how many great options England have at this present time.

We might even beat Iceland now on a good day. We that good. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

On the one hand, are Palace getting the best out of Eze?

On the other hand, does he really have the ability to play for one of the bigger teams and be an England regular, given the other players available in the squad?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 12:00 - Apr 26 with 987 viewskensalriser

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 10:21 - Apr 26 by rsonist

Most of these suggestions amount to Keeganism. He may not have found the perfect balance just yet but I can't get with the undercurrent of hostility towards Southgate attempting to prepare a structurally sound and consistent side for tournament football in the limited time he's got.

Two things spring to mind: one, he's never managed a 'big' club so can't be good enough for England and two, his personality. Neither of which strikes me as relevant but hey-ho.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 16:16 - Apr 26 with 891 viewsnumptydumpty

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 10:21 - Apr 26 by rsonist

Totally agree

Southgate in my eyes is building a team culture.

Seen rio ferdinand, Frank lampard and Steven Gerrard say the man utd Liverpool and Chelsea players of that era all lunched together, buddied up together, hence there were factions within the squad for those very reasons

England job is a football management job like no other ie for nine months you not around your playing staff etc.

The one thing on top of that point I do like about Southgate is he picks players on current form and confidence as opposed to the best players.

Brave strategy but can't see how people can have that many complaints with Southgate.

It's a very different role and in his favour also has been he knows the English FA culture as successful under 21s coach.

Unlike some previous incumbents, Capello and Erikkson, he is actually English...

Not essential clearly but foreign managers will have spent informative years in completely different cultures and ideas about the game that some top players not totally play into.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2021 16:22]

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 16:21 - Apr 26 with 881 viewsnumptydumpty

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 09:25 - Apr 26 by CamberleyR

Bellingham played 40 games. Not massive experience. 16 years old. Would he be used. Unsure.

There many instances of players very young peak form that never kicked on as expected.

Recently Ryan Sessegnon think he promised much more in early days and sorry if my knowledge bundesliga also but has Jadon Sancho kicked on.

At one stage he was the wonder kid where Bellingham is now.

Myself a man I would pick who could be in the may not play is James Maddison.

Bellingham could be big player in future but to me the time is not now.

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 17:29 - Apr 26 with 831 viewsCamberleyR

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 16:21 - Apr 26 by numptydumpty

Bellingham played 40 games. Not massive experience. 16 years old. Would he be used. Unsure.

There many instances of players very young peak form that never kicked on as expected.

Recently Ryan Sessegnon think he promised much more in early days and sorry if my knowledge bundesliga also but has Jadon Sancho kicked on.

At one stage he was the wonder kid where Bellingham is now.

Myself a man I would pick who could be in the may not play is James Maddison.

Bellingham could be big player in future but to me the time is not now.

Bellingham is 18 in June. He also played 44 times for Birmingham last season. To me if Borussia Dortmund consider him worthy enough to regularly start games playing in a team at the top end of the Bundesliga and also in the Champion's League, he is easily good enough to at least be in the squad in the summer.

Wayne Rooney had played 26 games for Everton before first playing for England at 17 in 2003 and about the same number of games as Bellingham has played now before terrorising teams at the 2004 Euros.

For me Bellingham, like Foden, seems to have been sprinkled with the magic dust and will go right to the very top. Maddison, although not exactly the same type of player, isn't in his class IMO.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2021 17:41]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 18:39 - Apr 26 with 785 viewsdenhamhoop2

Sadly I think Southgate will be very cautious and play both Rice and Henderson as holding midfielders then add Kane at centre forward and 2 wide forwards only 1 space left for a number 10 so he will have to choose between the players mentioned or sacrifice one of them as a wide forward
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 23:06 - Apr 26 with 706 viewsdaveB

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 18:39 - Apr 26 by denhamhoop2

Sadly I think Southgate will be very cautious and play both Rice and Henderson as holding midfielders then add Kane at centre forward and 2 wide forwards only 1 space left for a number 10 so he will have to choose between the players mentioned or sacrifice one of them as a wide forward

Thats about right though, I don't think many teams would play with 2 number 10's. England have 2 really attacking full backs whichever ones they pick plus likes of Sterling, Rashford, Foden, Sancho who can play wide and come inside. We don't have a good enough defence to play wide open, it's going to be very pragmatic football. Henderson isn't really a defensive player either, he can get forward as well.

On Bellingham I thought he was fantastic against Man City recently and with the final squad likely to be extended to 25 players I think he'll be in the squad
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 01:15 - Apr 27 with 674 viewsToast_R

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 19:21 - Apr 25 by gazza1

I would find a place for Grealish....good player.

Shame about the Manager though!!!

Not sure what's wrong with Southgate tbh. We've tried the best in Europe and been dreadful, we've tried the old English experience and been worse.
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 08:06 - Apr 27 with 627 viewsgazza1

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 01:15 - Apr 27 by Toast_R

Not sure what's wrong with Southgate tbh. We've tried the best in Europe and been dreadful, we've tried the old English experience and been worse.

Noted, but that doesn't make Southgate any good though.

With the players that he has at his disposal we should be performing much better.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2021 8:06]
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 10:38 - Apr 27 with 541 viewsdaveB

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 08:06 - Apr 27 by gazza1

Noted, but that doesn't make Southgate any good though.

With the players that he has at his disposal we should be performing much better.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2021 8:06]

How much better can he perform, he's won virtually every qualifier and got to the last 4 of the World Cup. So called better managers than him with better squads got nowhere near that
Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 13:01 - Apr 27 with 470 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Mason Mount vs Jack Grealish & Phil Foden. on 09:36 - Apr 26 by WestbourneR

That's a damn good shout for our best 11.

I'm tempted by Chilwell and I do wonder whether we need a set piece taker in there. If Hendo could player defensive mid I'd be tempted to drop Rice and push Mount deeper. Room for Sancho, Sterling or Grealish.

Surely we can't drop Sterling?

Aside from central defense, it's a good team.

No way Henderson or Rice should start before Grealish IMO
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024