Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Doing our business early 23:18 - May 19 with 2334 viewsMyke

Whether you agree with the ins and outs is not the point of this post. I am pleased to see the club getting it's transfer/contractual business done early. Wallace and Jorgi tied up. Lumley, Cameron and Smith out, and it's still only mid-May. Chaz and Field close too, by all accounts and I presume a decision will be made on Shodipo when Oxford officially out. Probably JoJo a bridge too far and we need to sort out our 2nd choice keeper. All that remains then is to identify and sign two wing backs (starting RWB and back up LWB) in the next few weeks and we will be done and dusted I think.
Doing our business early on 00:27 - May 20 with 2204 viewsdublinr

I agree, myke. It seems oddly sensible and bodes well for next season.

I guess you're assuming we won't be selling anyone. I think that's probably right. It seems too early for chair, dieng etc - and there may not be enough money floating around to tempt the owners.

I think we'll need another cb as cover too though. So that's a new lb, cb and rb - quite a lot of change for a pretty successful back line. But only the rb would be a starter I suppose.

Looking forward to next season in a way I haven't for years.

Doing our business early on 01:07 - May 20 with 2170 viewsBoston

Suggests a degree of confidence.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Doing our business early on 09:15 - May 20 with 1955 viewsLazyFan

They have learned to get pre-contracts sorted out with loans before the season ends. Also, you get to trial the players for a few months this way and see if they are mentally the right sort or a Barton in the waiting.

By doing this, you can actually concentrate on timing the big ones correctly, as they didn't with Moore and jumped too early, notified the compo, Cardiff and we lost out. True Dykes is younger but Moore got bucket loads of goals and we would have probably bought both and not Bonne.

Thus this bodes well for transfers they really want to do, the Moneyball ones like Dickie, Dykes, Willock and so on.

In addition, we got key and young players down on some nice contracts now, like Chair, Deng, Kakay, Niko. Thus it's harder to pick our pocket now.

Finally, this bodes well when recruiting players, senior ones can see we have stability and also going in the right direction as in up the table. The risk is smaller for the player as it looks like we could get promoted. For younger players, we now have a way from the Squad into the reserves. You will at least get a debut if you are good enough.

I think our transfers could be exciting this year as now with FFP out of the way we could see some interesting ones.

zzzzzzzzzz

Doing our business early on 09:57 - May 20 with 1830 viewsJuzzie

Good business practice. Get it done early, get the squad starting to know each other and train together for a month or so at least prior to the new season. Last minute additions doesn't give any time for this and usually involves panic buys which could mean duff players on silly contracts (not that we can give out silly contracts any more).
Doing our business early on 16:48 - May 20 with 1633 viewsPinnerPaul

I'm not happy - I'm going to miss all the panic/doom/gloom threads in June and July bemoaning our lack of signings.
Doing our business early on 16:50 - May 20 with 1624 viewskensalriser

Yeah but now we're going to miss all the last minute bargains.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Doing our business early on 16:50 - May 20 with 1616 viewsBlackCrowe

This is excellent stuff....nailing down the January jigsaw pieces. We seem properly well run and clear visioned these days. Come on Chaz n Stef....you know it makes sense.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Doing our business early on 18:27 - May 20 with 1437 viewsBoston

Doing our business early on 16:50 - May 20 by kensalriser

Yeah but now we're going to miss all the last minute bargains.

...'arry.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Doing our business early on 19:06 - May 20 with 1297 viewsrsonist

It is nice but then these are arrangements that have been already agreed or in the pipeline for months.

Probably where this positive idea really took hold was 10/11 with Mackie Kenny Hill and Derry being snapped up relatively quickly. Even then though we had to wait til the eve of the first game to sign Adel - it's just the market, and finding the right balance between strategy and opportunity. Obviously the better and more stable the squad gets the less will need to be done.

If there's any chance of Johansen at all it will most probably be a late doors one as he and Fulham review their options - in the meantime we'll have a decision to make whether to pounce elsewhere or hold our nerve. If Dozzell's an alternative we like for instance, then the later we leave it the harder and costlier the deal gets.
Doing our business early on 19:51 - May 20 with 1179 viewsCiderwithRsie

Doing our business early on 19:06 - May 20 by rsonist

It is nice but then these are arrangements that have been already agreed or in the pipeline for months.

Probably where this positive idea really took hold was 10/11 with Mackie Kenny Hill and Derry being snapped up relatively quickly. Even then though we had to wait til the eve of the first game to sign Adel - it's just the market, and finding the right balance between strategy and opportunity. Obviously the better and more stable the squad gets the less will need to be done.

If there's any chance of Johansen at all it will most probably be a late doors one as he and Fulham review their options - in the meantime we'll have a decision to make whether to pounce elsewhere or hold our nerve. If Dozzell's an alternative we like for instance, then the later we leave it the harder and costlier the deal gets.

But that's exactly what I love about these signings. There's no question of any of them having to find their way into the side. If we get Johansen we will basically be able to start 2021-2 with a settled side that has been playing together (and doing so very well) for 6 months before.

More realistically we will be without Johansen and playing some combination of Field, Carroll, Amos and/or Ball (maybe Scott Twine if we don't get Johansen) but there's still a lot off familiarity in that group.

The down side (which I expect to cause howls of anguish) is that I wonder whether we can afford an upgrade in the wing-back position as well as Austin, let alone Johansen.
Doing our business early on 20:16 - May 20 with 1101 viewsnumptydumpty

Doing our business early on 19:06 - May 20 by rsonist

Mackie Kenny Derry Hill.

Wow that was some transfer window

On a par with

Jordi Field Austin Johansen

What did we do after the above transfer window
Oh yes won league by ten points.

I may well have been drinking. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Doing our business early on 21:13 - May 20 with 963 viewsrsonist

Doing our business early on 19:51 - May 20 by CiderwithRsie

But that's exactly what I love about these signings. There's no question of any of them having to find their way into the side. If we get Johansen we will basically be able to start 2021-2 with a settled side that has been playing together (and doing so very well) for 6 months before.

More realistically we will be without Johansen and playing some combination of Field, Carroll, Amos and/or Ball (maybe Scott Twine if we don't get Johansen) but there's still a lot off familiarity in that group.

The down side (which I expect to cause howls of anguish) is that I wonder whether we can afford an upgrade in the wing-back position as well as Austin, let alone Johansen.

Sure, but it was only recently people were still arguing that those were signings made to rectify errors in the previous summer. (I don't subscribe to that POV entirely myself but if Bonne, Amos, and a back 4 had caught fire we plausibly mightn't be seeing any of these now). Do things late enough and you get to look early... the beauty of football discourse.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024