Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries 21:30 - Jul 4 with 3666 viewsFrankRightguard

Some interesting Euro 96 stuff. If you are expecting to find out anything about his time in charge of us then you will be disappointed. Rather skimmed over. Shame.
Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 09:23 - Jul 5 with 3330 viewsToast_R

Yes I thought that too. You'd think getting a second division team to an FA Cup final and promotion the following season would have deserved a little of bit of scrutiny but they ignored all that. Shame.

A strange guy old Venables, fingers in all sorts of pies. Perhaps if managers were paid then what they are today, he'd have been a far more successful manager as maybe wouldn't have found the need to pursue other business ventures so much..
Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 09:37 - Jul 5 with 3300 viewsNortholt_Rs

I thought it was an excellent programme about a fascinating man. It did gloss over us but then it had to pack a lot into the available time: Tottenham - Alan Sugar, Barca, Euro 96…. Interesting to hear his Missus say the reason he resigned from the England job was because the FA dithered on offering him an extended contract to manage the team for the 98 WC. I recall the FA spin was he is standing down to focus on court cases he was involved in. Instead Hoddle was given the job….yet another catastrophic brain fart from the FA suits. What an absolute tragedy. Great to hear the ex players ALL talk so highly about TV: Shearer, Lineker, Pearce, Ince. How the ‘Pep high press’ was actually introduced to Barca and England by Terry. For me, the man is a legend and doesn’t get anywhere near the recognition he deserves. He can’t sing though.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 9:44]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 09:49 - Jul 5 with 3262 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Will definitely watch that.

High pressing was brought to Barca from Ajax by Michels, though. It might be fair to say that Venables re-introduced it but Michels was there before him.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 10:12 - Jul 5 with 3227 viewsBazzeR

In another program I saw about pens during 96 pen shoot out with West Germany David Platt said Venables was very clever in his thinking regarding replicating the pressure of scoring from the spot.

He told the players to do the long walk from the centre circle,place the ball on the pen spot then state where the pen was going to the Keeper.Platt said players were scoring 2 out of 3 in practice.

During last nights documentary Seaman said he could not remember Southgate ever taking a pen in practice sessions.

Could do with some of El Tels innovative free kicks and methods in the current game.
Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 10:24 - Jul 5 with 3191 views80s_Boy

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 09:23 - Jul 5 by Toast_R

Yes I thought that too. You'd think getting a second division team to an FA Cup final and promotion the following season would have deserved a little of bit of scrutiny but they ignored all that. Shame.

A strange guy old Venables, fingers in all sorts of pies. Perhaps if managers were paid then what they are today, he'd have been a far more successful manager as maybe wouldn't have found the need to pursue other business ventures so much..

"Yes I thought that too. You'd think getting a second division team to an FA Cup final and promotion the following season would have deserved a little of bit of scrutiny but they ignored all that. Shame"

It's also a shame that hardly anything is ever said about how innovative he was as a player, manager and general football enthusiast too.

At Chelsea he was a leading figure in a group of players who would spend hours discussing tactics in cafes using salt and pepper shakers as player positions when English football still had a suspicion of such things, at QPR he was instrumental in us embracing a style of play which peaked in 75/76 (though, of course, he was to miss this) and although the pitch was derided at the time, and since, the installation of a synthetic surface was 20 years ahead of its time and now commonplace around the World. Some might even argue that grass pitches will become scarce in the next 20-30 years.

Even his understanding of the function of a football stadium was considerably ahead of its time. Clubs across the globe try to find ways to maximise revenue from stadiums, yet TV was proposing putting on a roof over Loftus Road and using it to be a leading entertainment venue in London, This was in the early 1980s!
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 10:27]
Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 10:48 - Jul 5 with 3113 viewsozexile

Is he still fit and healthy? Haven't heard anything from him in years. Was he ever inducted into forever R's?
Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 11:03 - Jul 5 with 3072 viewsTheChef

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 10:48 - Jul 5 by ozexile

Is he still fit and healthy? Haven't heard anything from him in years. Was he ever inducted into forever R's?

Think he lives in Spain these days?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 11:14 - Jul 5 with 3035 views80s_Boy

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 10:48 - Jul 5 by ozexile

2 years ago

Login to get fewer ads

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 11:22 - Jul 5 with 3009 viewsToast_R

Runs his own hotel now is Spain doesn't he?

I seem to remember before Euro 2016, BBC made an excellent 20 year anniversary documentary of Euro 96 and Shearer etc went over to interview him at his Spanish Hotel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07dpvcl
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 11:24]
Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 11:23 - Jul 5 with 2999 viewsMrSheen

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 11:14 - Jul 5 by 80s_Boy

2 years ago

Holding up better than Peter Reid!

Great coach, but as bent as the proverbial nine-bob note. The only thing stopping him clearing us out like Hughes and Redknapp was that Jim Gregory was even cannier, he should have been the one presenting The Apprentice. Him and his friends devoured Goldberg's Palace like a swarm of locusts.
Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 11:24 - Jul 5 with 2995 viewsCiderwithRsie

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 10:24 - Jul 5 by 80s_Boy

"Yes I thought that too. You'd think getting a second division team to an FA Cup final and promotion the following season would have deserved a little of bit of scrutiny but they ignored all that. Shame"

It's also a shame that hardly anything is ever said about how innovative he was as a player, manager and general football enthusiast too.

At Chelsea he was a leading figure in a group of players who would spend hours discussing tactics in cafes using salt and pepper shakers as player positions when English football still had a suspicion of such things, at QPR he was instrumental in us embracing a style of play which peaked in 75/76 (though, of course, he was to miss this) and although the pitch was derided at the time, and since, the installation of a synthetic surface was 20 years ahead of its time and now commonplace around the World. Some might even argue that grass pitches will become scarce in the next 20-30 years.

Even his understanding of the function of a football stadium was considerably ahead of its time. Clubs across the globe try to find ways to maximise revenue from stadiums, yet TV was proposing putting on a roof over Loftus Road and using it to be a leading entertainment venue in London, This was in the early 1980s!
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 10:27]

I'd be a tad surprised if artificial pitches become standard, because the quality of modern grass pitches is so good.

But it was still revolutionary to recognise that the standard English quagmire of the time (which LR was a leading example of) was not only holding English football back but also that it could be fixed through innovation.
Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 11:26 - Jul 5 with 2992 viewsTacticalR

Simon Dorset's 2018 tribute to Venables:
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/queensparkrangers/news/47272/terry-venable

Air hostess clique

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 11:35 - Jul 5 with 2962 viewsSnipper

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 09:49 - Jul 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Will definitely watch that.

High pressing was brought to Barca from Ajax by Michels, though. It might be fair to say that Venables re-introduced it but Michels was there before him.

Rinus Michels was indeed a master. I was only 7 when the 1974 World Cup took place, so I don’t remember it. After watching loads of footage, and documentaries about the total football, it’s a crying shame Holland didn’t win it. He did come back and win Euro 88 with Holland though.
But for a viciously spinning ball in the last couple of minutes vs Ireland, they wouldn’t have got out of the group.

Terry Venables was a great tactician, and was ahead of his time. If he was still in charge for the 98 World Cup, he’d have had better players at his disposal. We had the emergence of David Beckham, Michael Owen and Paul Scholes for a start. Glenn Hoddle was also a good tactician, but he was obviously a bit of a fruit cake. He totally dumped the best English player that year, Ray Parlour, because he laughed about Eileen Drury. He famously said in a press/tv briefing in the run up to the 98 WC that he doesn’t get mad, he gets even. I think he was referring to Robbie Fowler there.
The way he dumped Gazza was wrong too.

So, Terry Venables being dumped for Glenn Hoddle was a massive mistake by the FA.
Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 11:43 - Jul 5 with 2939 views80s_Boy

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 11:35 - Jul 5 by Snipper

Rinus Michels was indeed a master. I was only 7 when the 1974 World Cup took place, so I don’t remember it. After watching loads of footage, and documentaries about the total football, it’s a crying shame Holland didn’t win it. He did come back and win Euro 88 with Holland though.
But for a viciously spinning ball in the last couple of minutes vs Ireland, they wouldn’t have got out of the group.

Terry Venables was a great tactician, and was ahead of his time. If he was still in charge for the 98 World Cup, he’d have had better players at his disposal. We had the emergence of David Beckham, Michael Owen and Paul Scholes for a start. Glenn Hoddle was also a good tactician, but he was obviously a bit of a fruit cake. He totally dumped the best English player that year, Ray Parlour, because he laughed about Eileen Drury. He famously said in a press/tv briefing in the run up to the 98 WC that he doesn’t get mad, he gets even. I think he was referring to Robbie Fowler there.
The way he dumped Gazza was wrong too.

So, Terry Venables being dumped for Glenn Hoddle was a massive mistake by the FA.

"If he was still in charge for the 98 World Cup, he’d have had better players at his disposal."

I've no doubts that we'd have won the group and avoided Argentina in the 2nd round as a consequence.

You look at the run then and you have a tricky but winnable match against Croatia, a QTR against the worst ever German team post WW2 and a semi against a France who hadn't convinced many up to that point.... You then face a Brazil side affected by fate when Ronaldo has a fit pre match...

To me that defeat against Romania in Toulouse denied us a great opportunity to win the World Cup.
Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 12:00 - Jul 5 with 2884 viewsToast_R

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 11:43 - Jul 5 by 80s_Boy

"If he was still in charge for the 98 World Cup, he’d have had better players at his disposal."

I've no doubts that we'd have won the group and avoided Argentina in the 2nd round as a consequence.

You look at the run then and you have a tricky but winnable match against Croatia, a QTR against the worst ever German team post WW2 and a semi against a France who hadn't convinced many up to that point.... You then face a Brazil side affected by fate when Ronaldo has a fit pre match...

To me that defeat against Romania in Toulouse denied us a great opportunity to win the World Cup.

True that, Hoddle's reluctance to start with Michael Owen over Sheringham was foolish when everyone else could see he was an absolute fearless world beater.
Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 15:04 - Jul 20 with 2005 viewsCamberleyR

Terry Venables doc on Sky Documentaries on 09:37 - Jul 5 by Northolt_Rs

I thought it was an excellent programme about a fascinating man. It did gloss over us but then it had to pack a lot into the available time: Tottenham - Alan Sugar, Barca, Euro 96…. Interesting to hear his Missus say the reason he resigned from the England job was because the FA dithered on offering him an extended contract to manage the team for the 98 WC. I recall the FA spin was he is standing down to focus on court cases he was involved in. Instead Hoddle was given the job….yet another catastrophic brain fart from the FA suits. What an absolute tragedy. Great to hear the ex players ALL talk so highly about TV: Shearer, Lineker, Pearce, Ince. How the ‘Pep high press’ was actually introduced to Barca and England by Terry. For me, the man is a legend and doesn’t get anywhere near the recognition he deserves. He can’t sing though.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 9:44]

Just watched it. Yes they had a lot to get in in two hours especially as a lot of it was centred on his time with England at the Euros but f*ck me, you'd hardly have known he played for us nearly five years and managed us for nearly four.

If they hadn't have shown that local news clip announcing he was to be appointed our new manager you'd never have guessed. It virtually went in one fell swoop from announced as QPR manager to being asked by Wogan if he was happy here to getting the Barcelona job!

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024