Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread 13:22 - Jul 6 with 22587 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Danes hate to see it leave.

Narrow win against a energetic Denmark that we quietly manage out the game after taking the lead.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 13:34]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 08:36 - Jul 9 with 1479 viewsNortholt_Rs

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 08:04 - Jul 9 by gazza1

Sad you needed to behave like that against Southgate, very sad - he was/is doing his best!!!

What top English Premier club would offer him a job??? There have been a few vacancies over the past couple of years.

There might be a few interested in him now….

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 08:39 - Jul 9 with 1444 viewsgazza1

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 08:30 - Jul 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

entrenched
/ɪnˈtrɛn(t)ʃt,ɛnˈtrɛn(t)ʃt/

adjective

(of an attitude, habit, or belief) firmly established and difficult or unlikely to change; ingrained.

"For fear of losing face to strangers on the internet, gazza’s anti Southgate stance was so entrenched he seriously had the front to flaunt it two days before England’s first final in 55 years"
[Post edited 9 Jul 2021 8:34]

So you now understand that it was not Southgate who kept the ball and it was the players.......goody, goody.

We move onto Southgate.....I do not rate him, as highly, as many on this MB. Must be a crime that I have that opinion!!!! And I could, actually, not give 'two hoots' what people on this MB think of me. I could say more but best I do not!!!! because you appear to be upset enough!!!!
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 08:41 - Jul 9 with 1436 viewsgazza1

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 08:36 - Jul 9 by Northolt_Rs

There might be a few interested in him now….

We will see Northolt......I would be surprised.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 08:43 - Jul 9 with 1452 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 08:39 - Jul 9 by gazza1

So you now understand that it was not Southgate who kept the ball and it was the players.......goody, goody.

We move onto Southgate.....I do not rate him, as highly, as many on this MB. Must be a crime that I have that opinion!!!! And I could, actually, not give 'two hoots' what people on this MB think of me. I could say more but best I do not!!!! because you appear to be upset enough!!!!

Sure, you don’t seem upset at all.

Enjoy Sunday whoever you are supporting and don’t forget to get crowing first thing Sunday evening if we lose for maximum emotional impact 👍
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 09:00 - Jul 9 with 1394 viewswood_hoop

Stayed off the board for a couple of days as I just knew some would find faults in how we played, the players selected the luck we had, the manager ,the ref, the prick that used the laser light, nought wrong in that, this is a football forum and all opinions are valid and that's why its here.

I have jut sat back and revelled in us reaching a final, was 10 years old when this last happened, the pure joy of watching Bobby Moore in black and white lifting the Jules Rimet trophy every one of that squad an absolute hero.

After the game going to my local park ( dog shit paradise ) wearing a pair of shorts, knee length socks round me ankles, a second hand orange football shirt, ( Blackpool) given to me by a neighbour and a twenty aside game with all the other local urchins, the pure joy of trying to emulate the heroes that lifted our spirits so high, no matter how tough home life might be.

For a brief few hours there will be plenty of 10 year olds maybe wearing an England shirt, watching the game in colour on a tv screen that covers the whole wall of a lounge but if we do win the pure joy will be no different to a scrufy little boy 55 years ago.........
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 09:05 - Jul 9 with 1385 viewsBrianMcCarthy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 09:00 - Jul 9 by wood_hoop

Stayed off the board for a couple of days as I just knew some would find faults in how we played, the players selected the luck we had, the manager ,the ref, the prick that used the laser light, nought wrong in that, this is a football forum and all opinions are valid and that's why its here.

I have jut sat back and revelled in us reaching a final, was 10 years old when this last happened, the pure joy of watching Bobby Moore in black and white lifting the Jules Rimet trophy every one of that squad an absolute hero.

After the game going to my local park ( dog shit paradise ) wearing a pair of shorts, knee length socks round me ankles, a second hand orange football shirt, ( Blackpool) given to me by a neighbour and a twenty aside game with all the other local urchins, the pure joy of trying to emulate the heroes that lifted our spirits so high, no matter how tough home life might be.

For a brief few hours there will be plenty of 10 year olds maybe wearing an England shirt, watching the game in colour on a tv screen that covers the whole wall of a lounge but if we do win the pure joy will be no different to a scrufy little boy 55 years ago.........

Lovely, evocative post.

We're all scruffy little boys and girls really!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 09:47 - Jul 9 with 1304 viewsBazzeR

Interesting that Italy player Marco Veratti called for EUFA to investigate Sunday’s referee Bjorn Kuipers for telling him to ‘fcuk off’ in a recent Champions league match in March 2021.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 09:54 - Jul 9 with 1275 viewsnix

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 20:54 - Jul 8 by CiderwithRsie

Good, that's exactly what I want them to do. It keeps the licence fee down (and why the feck should foreigners who haven't bought a licence get free what I'm paying for?)

It's also a case of one of the very few British product makers that is universally respected globally exporting a product and thereby employing British workers.

One of my bugbears is that the Beeb has become a political issue and there is a campaign (led by cr*p, largely foreign-owned newspapers, some of them owned by direct competitors of the BBC) to feck over exports of David Attenborougn and Dr Who because they don't like the way the news is presented, as if the bloody news is what we watch the telly for.

Sadly the've already screwed the thing over so badly that the product is a shadow of what it used to be and much of the "must-watch" TV is now US made.

Exactly. Why is it a bad thing if the beeb becomes more self sustaining?

I do think the beeb has been subject to a whispering campaign for decades, started with Murdoch's newspapers, because obviously they were its direct competitor with Sky News, and ramped up in recent years by social media bots. Unfortunately people have bought into the Beeb is biased trope, so that the left and the right both claim that it is biased against them (not sure how that is possible, but still). It's talked about like it's some Pravda-like mouthpiece, which is just ridiculous. If you'd prefer to trust the Daily Mail or Express for 'news' then good luck to you.

I disagree that the Beeb doesn't produce good stuff anymore though. I still watch more of its home grown stuff than any homegrown stuff on the other terrestrial or satellite channels. Obviously US programming is on a different level but then it has feature film budgets, which we can't compete with.
Login to get fewer ads

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 10:02 - Jul 9 with 1253 viewsJuzzie

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 07:58 - Jul 9 by gazza1

It obviously isn't fact......however talk to anyone involved with football and they would tell you the reason how and why they kept the ball so well and it would not be that Southgate told Trippier to run here and pass it there, etc, etc, etc - the players will make those decisions and not your beloved Southgate. As I said they are top world class players who will do that just like you do things automatically in your job of work or having a piss when you get up in the morning!!!

As for Southgate......I am not a fan (not saying that he has not done good things because he has) and I want England to win 100% on Sunday and it is pretty silly of you to think that I would want anything else.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2021 8:01]

"It obviously isn't fact" - you said '100% so yes, you were stating it as fact. Again, you confuse opinion (which is fine) with fact.

"not your beloved Southgate" he's not my beloved Southgate. I was never particularly endeared to him as a club Manager but I can recognise and give credit to what he's done with England the last few years.

"I want England to win 100% on Sunday and it is pretty silly of you to think that I would want anything else." - I never said you didn't want England to win (that's a Strawman). I said if we lose you'll be all over here telling us how he wasn't good enough (in the opposite way that you've hardly been on here when we won against Ukraine & Denmark) without actually saying who would.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 10:51 - Jul 9 with 1174 viewsfrancisbowles

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 09:54 - Jul 9 by nix

Exactly. Why is it a bad thing if the beeb becomes more self sustaining?

I do think the beeb has been subject to a whispering campaign for decades, started with Murdoch's newspapers, because obviously they were its direct competitor with Sky News, and ramped up in recent years by social media bots. Unfortunately people have bought into the Beeb is biased trope, so that the left and the right both claim that it is biased against them (not sure how that is possible, but still). It's talked about like it's some Pravda-like mouthpiece, which is just ridiculous. If you'd prefer to trust the Daily Mail or Express for 'news' then good luck to you.

I disagree that the Beeb doesn't produce good stuff anymore though. I still watch more of its home grown stuff than any homegrown stuff on the other terrestrial or satellite channels. Obviously US programming is on a different level but then it has feature film budgets, which we can't compete with.

Yes I agree with most of that Nix.

The BBC has to tread a very fine line in trying to be politically neutral. The printed media, with few exceptions, doesn't pretend to be aiming for this ideal.

There is different political views amongst it's employees, as there would be in any organisation. Some of the presenters do find it extremely difficult to hide their bias when interviewing politicians. Andrew Marr being the prime example and there are others with the opposite views (bias).

The political parties and the printed press quick to complain when it is displayed against their beliefs and 'loyalties'.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 12:08 - Jul 9 with 1103 viewskensalriser

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 10:02 - Jul 9 by Juzzie

"It obviously isn't fact" - you said '100% so yes, you were stating it as fact. Again, you confuse opinion (which is fine) with fact.

"not your beloved Southgate" he's not my beloved Southgate. I was never particularly endeared to him as a club Manager but I can recognise and give credit to what he's done with England the last few years.

"I want England to win 100% on Sunday and it is pretty silly of you to think that I would want anything else." - I never said you didn't want England to win (that's a Strawman). I said if we lose you'll be all over here telling us how he wasn't good enough (in the opposite way that you've hardly been on here when we won against Ukraine & Denmark) without actually saying who would.

Come on, man. Gaz is a football insider, he knows far more about the game than we plebs who've never played at any level beyond the school field.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 13:51 - Jul 9 with 1042 viewsPinnerPaul

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 18:08 - Jul 8 by TW_R

If you use the BBC website abroad it has ads all over it. They have also set up a subscription streaming service with ITV called Britbox. So not only have we funded the making of these programs, we now have to pay again to watch some them.

Sorry to be pedantic, but the main TV is not "advert free". It may not be revenue generating, but between every bloody program they advertise their own content. Sometimes other programs, sometimes radio stations, sometimes streaming services. Sometimes all 3 in the same gap. If you watch the news in the morning, every 30 minutes they cut to a number of "ads" for various programs etc. They also do it during live programs - new Dr Who coming out - let's talk about it for days on Breakfast, bring in some actors, invite them to the One show, Graham Norton etc etc. Great - new Line of Duty series in 2 months - let's talk about that incessantly. It's clever as people don't see it as advertising, but that's exactly what it is.

They are called "On Air Promotions" - they don't generate any revenue - unlike ITV's adverts.

Sorry but main content IS free to air and advert free, however you dress it up.

Doesn't change my main point - people moaning about all 3 ways TV companies get revenue as if its a crime.

How else do you fund TV?
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 13:54 - Jul 9 with 1038 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 13:51 - Jul 9 by PinnerPaul

They are called "On Air Promotions" - they don't generate any revenue - unlike ITV's adverts.

Doesn't change my main point - people moaning about all 3 ways TV companies get revenue as if its a crime.

How else do you fund TV?

If you value it as a service, then taxes.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 14:01 - Jul 9 with 1011 viewsPinnerPaul

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 13:54 - Jul 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

If you value it as a service, then taxes.

Licence fee v tax - what's the difference?
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 14:05 - Jul 9 with 1000 viewsfrancisbowles

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 14:01 - Jul 9 by PinnerPaul

It is regarded as a tax, criminal offence not to pay it if you have a tv receiver.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 14:08 - Jul 9 with 997 viewsPinnerPaul

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 14:05 - Jul 9 by francisbowles

It is regarded as a tax, criminal offence not to pay it if you have a tv receiver.

I thought they had 'criminalised' not having a TV licence, PLUS the flaw in your argument is that non taxpayers get free TV!
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 15:02 - Jul 9 with 949 viewsfrancisbowles

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 14:08 - Jul 9 by PinnerPaul

I thought they had 'criminalised' not having a TV licence, PLUS the flaw in your argument is that non taxpayers get free TV!

I was actually trying to agree with you Pinner. There was talk of de-criminalising the license fee non payment. Not sure if it's been done though. Non tax payers pay VAT on goods and, services, so it is not a 'tax' on income but a charge ('tax') for a service.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 15:08 - Jul 9 with 939 viewsGloryHunter

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 14:08 - Jul 9 by PinnerPaul

There are no "non taxpayers" are there? VAT at least, if not fuel duty. Unless you live off the land in a yurt.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 15:08 - Jul 9 with 940 viewsPinnerPaul

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 15:02 - Jul 9 by francisbowles

I was actually trying to agree with you Pinner. There was talk of de-criminalising the license fee non payment. Not sure if it's been done though. Non tax payers pay VAT on goods and, services, so it is not a 'tax' on income but a charge ('tax') for a service.

Thanks, but still don't see the practicality/benefits of collecting the BBC's money via a tax?

STILL back to my previous point - it HAS to be Public Service Broadcasting, Advert funded or subscription.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 16:01 - Jul 9 with 894 viewsTW_R

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 13:51 - Jul 9 by PinnerPaul

How else do you fund TV?

They can call it what they like - by definition they are ads - "a notice or announcement in a public medium promoting a product, service, or event or publicizing a job vacancy." An ad doesn't have to be revenue generating. It's not being "dressed up", as you put it.

My main point was they are funded 3 ways, not just by the public funding. They BBC have a distinct advantage over the competition in terms of revenue.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 16:15 - Jul 9 with 880 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 14:01 - Jul 9 by PinnerPaul

There isn’t really but I thought you was fishing for justification of commercial funding of the BBC.

People who don’t pay the licence fee and don’t watch telly still benefit from state media in the form of soft power internationally and education of key workers. For that reason I’d fund it directly under DCMS from the treasury and tax revenue.

I will say that the directors of the BBC trust should be elected too. Reform badly needed.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2021 16:17]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 16:45 - Jul 9 with 850 viewsPinnerPaul

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 16:01 - Jul 9 by TW_R

They can call it what they like - by definition they are ads - "a notice or announcement in a public medium promoting a product, service, or event or publicizing a job vacancy." An ad doesn't have to be revenue generating. It's not being "dressed up", as you put it.

My main point was they are funded 3 ways, not just by the public funding. They BBC have a distinct advantage over the competition in terms of revenue.

Can't argue with that last point, when I was at ITV, the thing that bugged us was that if no one watched their programmes, their revenue doesn't take a hit, unlike ITV and Sky - that's the point I'm making - they can live quite happily without the on air promos or ads as you call them, ITV, Sky and others can't.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 18:02 - Jul 9 with 804 viewsnix

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 16:01 - Jul 9 by TW_R

And they also have a much greater responsibility towards being neutral and have diverse programming than the other channels, which is why I'm quite happy to keep the funding as it is.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 19:59 - Jul 9 with 738 viewsderbyhoop

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 07:26 - Jul 9 by gazza1

Seriously, do you really think Southgate was much to do with that clip??

It was 100% down to the players and the quality that they have....they made the runs, they made themselves the space, they passed the ball excellently, they used their own brains, they kept the ball.

Nowt to do with Southgate....ffs they are the best players in the world!!!!.....that is why we kept the ball!!! against a 'worn out' Denmark team
[Post edited 9 Jul 2021 7:28]

When you see how deep England got in the first 5 mins of the 2nd half of ET, and how often the ball was hoofed away. To come straight back. The management team surely got them to play keep ball and game management was superb in the last 10 minutes.
Players obviously need the ability to do it but management changed the psychology.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 21:06 - Jul 9 with 689 viewsCiderwithRsie

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Denmark 🇩🇰 Match Thread on 09:00 - Jul 9 by wood_hoop

Post of the tournament.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024