Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Overrated food. 21:20 - Jul 12 with 11354 viewsMick_S

Booooooooo to last night. Anyway,

This has probably been done before, but, by jingo, there is some muck out there.

I’m going in with baked beans - same old gear in the same old 57 my arse varieties in a tin.

Pony.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Overrated food. on 08:44 - Jul 14 with 1483 viewsR_from_afar

Overrated food. on 14:52 - Jul 13 by MrSheen

I could happily live in a German bakery.

[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 14:55]

My wife and I went to Le Manoir as a special treat and the home made bread rolls were incredible. I could've just pigged out on those then gone straight to dessert, they were lush.

Re sliced bread, try the Aldi ancient grains loaf, that is excellent.

I think hotdogs should go on the overrated list. Unless you douse them in ketchup and mustard, they are pretty dull. I'd eat them in a survival situation, of course

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Overrated food. on 09:11 - Jul 14 with 1436 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Parmesan on spag bowl.

It may just be me but the smell reminds me of a sick bowl.

Occasionally though I add it in none the less.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Overrated food. on 09:11 - Jul 14 with 1436 viewsHantsR

Popcorn! Why do people think you need a big box of this smelly, noisy stuff when they go to the cinema? Like eating polystyrene balls.
Overrated food. on 09:16 - Jul 14 with 1424 viewskingsburyR

Overrated food. on 21:51 - Jul 12 by MrSheen

Barbecue. Outdoor fry-up, only burnt.

I love a good BBQ.

And no cheating with Gas as that is only outdoor cooking. Wood (ideally) or charcoal!

As for over rated food.....anything in a shell. What is the big deal about lobster and crab etc?

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:18 - Jul 14 with 1414 viewsMrSheen

Overrated food. on 08:44 - Jul 14 by R_from_afar

My wife and I went to Le Manoir as a special treat and the home made bread rolls were incredible. I could've just pigged out on those then gone straight to dessert, they were lush.

Re sliced bread, try the Aldi ancient grains loaf, that is excellent.

I think hotdogs should go on the overrated list. Unless you douse them in ketchup and mustard, they are pretty dull. I'd eat them in a survival situation, of course

The only negative side-effect I can think of a diet of German bread is ending up with a jaw like David Coulthard’s.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 9:19]
Overrated food. on 09:30 - Jul 14 with 1391 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Another vote for poutine. To be fair, Mrs PH a Québécois did strongly advise against it and didn’t order for herself. Just rubbish and affront to potatoes!

However, the title of the thread is overrated and I’m going to say…French food. Sone of it is of course sublime. But so much is predictable and too many French chefs; cooking and dishes are conservative; restaurant menus are repetitive; and stuck in time as much as they are hemmed in by thinking that says, we’ll Escoffier made it this way, so must we.

British food/cooking would out run then in many cases and frankly, I’ve had better choices and food out of many pubs than some French restaurants. The French have been resting on their laurels for too long, something Roux Jr. admits as well - which is ironic to say - but he does think mindsets are changing to be fair.

This is all the more frustrating because oftentimes, French ingredients are superb. They just keep cooking it the same way.

Oh and one passing attack: grits…awfully bland!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Overrated food. on 09:49 - Jul 14 with 1378 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Trifle. Soggy cake and sweet splodge with a bitter after taste. mmmm yum.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 9:52]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Overrated food. on 09:55 - Jul 14 with 1369 viewsNewhopphoops

Beans on toast: a wet slice of starbake with 15 sugars on it.

99 out of 100 fry ups: a pile of bland stodge with 30 sugars on it.

At least pie and mash and fish and chips are up front about their blandness.
Login to get fewer ads

Overrated food. on 09:58 - Jul 14 with 1358 viewsNewhopphoops

Overrated food. on 12:10 - Jul 13 by BrianMcCarthy

I got one of the daily recipes off Eurosport's Tour de France coverage last Friday.
It called for 'Pain aux Céréales'.

I went to the 'Artisan Bread Counter' in my local Dunnes Stores. Calling it 'Artisan' allows them to charge twice the price but you still get served by the two grumpy oul wans from DinnerLadies.

"YA???" (This means 'Hello, how can I help you?")
"Hi, have you "Pain aux Céréales, please?"
"WHA???"
"Pain aux Cér...."
"WHA'S THA, LIKE?"
"It's French, I think"
"BUH WHA ISIH, LIKE"
"Well, I was hoping you'd know"
"NEVAH HEARD OF IH"
"I think it means "Cereal Bread"
"SHU ALL BREAH HAS CEREAL IN IH!!!"

"You're right. You've been a great help".

Artisan bakers in a nutshell at 00:45:
Overrated food. on 10:00 - Jul 14 with 1331 viewsNed_Kennedys

Pork Pies. All the pig bits that are too horrible to even make sausages surrounded some fat jelly.

Fennel. Smells and tastes disgusting. Feck off fennel.
Overrated food. on 10:04 - Jul 14 with 1342 viewsRs_Holy

Overrated food. on 09:30 - Jul 14 by PlanetHonneywood

Another vote for poutine. To be fair, Mrs PH a Québécois did strongly advise against it and didn’t order for herself. Just rubbish and affront to potatoes!

However, the title of the thread is overrated and I’m going to say…French food. Sone of it is of course sublime. But so much is predictable and too many French chefs; cooking and dishes are conservative; restaurant menus are repetitive; and stuck in time as much as they are hemmed in by thinking that says, we’ll Escoffier made it this way, so must we.

British food/cooking would out run then in many cases and frankly, I’ve had better choices and food out of many pubs than some French restaurants. The French have been resting on their laurels for too long, something Roux Jr. admits as well - which is ironic to say - but he does think mindsets are changing to be fair.

This is all the more frustrating because oftentimes, French ingredients are superb. They just keep cooking it the same way.

My last visit to France (the Loire Valley) was a great holiday but the food was really hit and miss. I had one one the best meals I have ever experienced but we also had many, many poor meals and overall poor experiences.
We were even totally ignored for around 3/4 of an hour by an elderly lady who owned a small cafe. People (locals) continued to walk in and were served pretty much immediately whilst we were ignored. My wife said "lets go, she obviously doesn't want us here"... I replied "We've done nothing wrong and we are not going anywhere... the cafe closes at 2 o'clock and if she want s to close the cafe at some point she will have to at least acknowledge us". She eventually came over to us and seemed quite surprised my wife could speak French. We were the last in the cafe by the time the food came but it was rank average to be honest.

Overrated food. on 10:08 - Jul 14 with 1330 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Pot Noodle. Shredded pieces of cardboard and eggy noodles soaked in liquid Monster Munch flavouring.

Overrated food. on 10:17 - Jul 14 with 1305 viewsqprxtc

Overrated food. on 10:00 - Jul 14 by Ned_Kennedys

Pork Pies. All the pig bits that are too horrible to even make sausages surrounded some fat jelly.

Fennel. Smells and tastes disgusting. Feck off fennel.

Pork Pies! No way, man!

I can do without the jelly but I do love a Pork Pie. I’m banned from eating them by my wife as she reckons that eating eight in a row is bad for me.

She’s not Doctor.
Overrated food. on 10:23 - Jul 14 with 1295 viewsBklynRanger

Peas. P for pointless if you ask me.

Rolling around on your plate getting in the way of legitimate food, filling up otherwise promising pies, often alongside their slightly less useless cousin the carrot.

Popping up sporadically to ruin a perfectly decent chicken fried rice, causing me no small amount of extraction-related hassle in a crowded oriental eatery.

Even occasionally squirming their way into a keema nan, which is mad! Now I have to ask "You don't put peas in your keema nan do you?" every time, generally getting back a very fair "No, you moron" sort of look from the waiter.

At least when they come in that modern small pot-thing you can treat them with the immediate disdain they deserve.
Overrated food. on 10:32 - Jul 14 with 1278 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Overrated food. on 10:23 - Jul 14 by BklynRanger

Peas. P for pointless if you ask me.

Rolling around on your plate getting in the way of legitimate food, filling up otherwise promising pies, often alongside their slightly less useless cousin the carrot.

Popping up sporadically to ruin a perfectly decent chicken fried rice, causing me no small amount of extraction-related hassle in a crowded oriental eatery.

Even occasionally squirming their way into a keema nan, which is mad! Now I have to ask "You don't put peas in your keema nan do you?" every time, generally getting back a very fair "No, you moron" sort of look from the waiter.

At least when they come in that modern small pot-thing you can treat them with the immediate disdain they deserve.

Peas man ✌🏻

I like them, they’re underatted if you ask me.

Overrated food. on 10:41 - Jul 14 with 1266 viewsBklynRanger

Overrated food. on 10:32 - Jul 14 by CliveWilsonSaid

Peas man ✌🏻

They're easy enough to pick out of a pot noodle during the dry phase at least :)
Overrated food. on 10:42 - Jul 14 with 1262 viewsdmm

Rs Holy mentioning France reminded me of my regulation school trip to Boulogne back in the day. A few of us sneaked off to a cafe and I ordered some great looking sausages. I had no idea what I was doing. They were andouillette, the sausage made of the lower intestines of pigs. They smelled and tasted of what I imagined shit must taste of. I gagged and spat the first mouthful out.

Never go near them if you're in France.
Overrated food. on 10:55 - Jul 14 with 1227 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Overrated food. on 10:42 - Jul 14 by dmm

Rs Holy mentioning France reminded me of my regulation school trip to Boulogne back in the day. A few of us sneaked off to a cafe and I ordered some great looking sausages. I had no idea what I was doing. They were andouillette, the sausage made of the lower intestines of pigs. They smelled and tasted of what I imagined shit must taste of. I gagged and spat the first mouthful out.

Never go near them if you're in France.

My friend did the same in Paris.

He asked his fellow diners "does this smell of shit?"

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Overrated food. on 11:27 - Jul 14 with 1192 viewsMrSheen

Overrated food. on 09:30 - Jul 14 by PlanetHonneywood

I have to agree that eating out in France is incredibly hit and miss. We've had great meals sitting on plastic chairs in the streets of scruffy villages, and terrible meals in fancy places - massive difference to Italy where standards are uniformly high, and Belgium, surprisingly perhaps, where they really eat well, if not often healthily.

Someone explained to me that French people get work-issued luncheon vouchers worth about £8 a day, which perversely makes them determined to pay as little as they can on top of this and not too bothered about quality. We've had many meals in Western France in particular where if we've managed to get to the restaurant for 1.30 closing, or 1.15, or whenever they've decided to stop serving, we have sat in packed restaurants to eat three of four courses for €12. Pre-peeled potatoes out of the bag, veg out of a jar, curly, gristly meat. Can we have two course for €15? Might be more palatable.

PS, love a bit of andouilette!
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 11:27]
Overrated food. on 20:31 - Jul 14 with 1036 viewshantssi

Not actually food but on the Nando’s theme, TGI f**king Friday!
Expensive, shocking bad food.
Unfortunately we’ve got one 10 minutes walk away and the wife and kids love it because “they do great cocktails”!
Go to a f**king cocktail bar then, I’ll even give up drink for the evening and drop you off and collect you even though you’ll be p**sed!!
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 20:56]
Overrated food. on 00:25 - Jul 15 with 919 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Overrated food. on 20:31 - Jul 14 by hantssi

Not actually food but on the Nando’s theme, TGI f**king Friday!
Expensive, shocking bad food.
Unfortunately we’ve got one 10 minutes walk away and the wife and kids love it because “they do great cocktails”!
Go to a f**king cocktail bar then, I’ll even give up drink for the evening and drop you off and collect you even though you’ll be p**sed!!
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 20:56]

I used to work in a TGI as a youngster. All fur coat and no knickers. Everything cooked from frozen or the same grill. Mildly pervy cocktails there to distract you from the low grade meat.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 0:29]
Overrated food. on 00:51 - Jul 15 with 910 viewsCiderwithRsie

Overrated food. on 10:32 - Jul 14 by CliveWilsonSaid

Peas man ✌🏻

Apparently Louis XIV was obsessed with them, ate them raw out of the pod, great bowls full.

Goes to show. Power corrupts, absolute power sends you off your trolley.
Overrated food. on 01:31 - Jul 15 with 895 viewsbob566

Overrated food. on 00:51 - Jul 15 by CiderwithRsie

Apparently Louis XIV was obsessed with them, ate them raw out of the pod, great bowls full.

Goes to show. Power corrupts, absolute power sends you off your trolley.

I like wasabi peas. Great snack with a beer
Overrated food. on 02:16 - Jul 15 with 884 viewslightwaterhoop

Overrated food. on 14:52 - Jul 13 by MrSheen

I could happily live in a German bakery.

[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 14:55]

Anyone remember Holm's a German bakery in Golborne Rd.My mum used to buy their bread rolls for me to take to school for my lunch and boy were they good.Were talking the 1970'S here.
Overrated food. on 02:57 - Jul 15 with 870 viewsitsbiga

Chinese food
Sushi
Fast food (Mc Donalds etc)

I dont hate them but really don't see the appeal.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024