Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Overrated food. 21:20 - Jul 12 with 11351 viewsMick_S

Booooooooo to last night. Anyway,

This has probably been done before, but, by jingo, there is some muck out there.

I’m going in with baked beans - same old gear in the same old 57 my arse varieties in a tin.

Pony.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Overrated food. on 07:33 - Jul 13 with 1614 viewsdmm

Overrated food. on 05:54 - Jul 13 by Konk

I’ve been to Nandos about five times - always at someone else’s insistence - and always sat there confused about what I was missing. Oven chips, chicken that seemed to have spent a month pegged-out in front of a de-humidifier, and a glass of Fanta.

Ahhh, Fanta. My favourite Coca Cola story. Fanta was created by said American company in Germany during WW2 due to the scarcity of ingredients to make coke. Yep, it's Nazi juice.

Anyway back on topic - oven chips. They smell nasty and taste as bad. It's just as quick and easy to chip a few potatoes and roast them in the oven. And so much nicer to eat.
Overrated food. on 08:09 - Jul 13 with 1541 viewsHamptonR

Overrated food. on 23:05 - Jul 12 by Hayesender

Nandos. And I get really irritated when I hear people say they're going for a "cheeky nandos".

It's just chicken in different types of spingy sauces ffs

Nandos, is expensive KFC.
Overrated food. on 08:15 - Jul 13 with 1536 viewsHamptonR

Overrated food. on 21:50 - Jul 12 by Konk

Pie and mash from a Pie and mash shop. 6/10 slop for sentimental blokes who live in Zone 6 or the Home Counties, and own a book about the Krays. Better than school dinners, but not by much. And I love a good pie.

I read a post on a pie and mash appreciation page, written by a total Geezer who lives way outside of Zone 6 and it pretty much confirms Konk's opinion.

"I took me old mum out for some nose bag, it was her birthday and she is a bit of a raspberry, she bloody loved it, took her way back"

AA Gill would have shit himself.
Overrated food. on 08:50 - Jul 13 with 1518 viewsbosh67

Pizza!

Not because Italy won the Euros, good luck to them.

Okay if you get a genuine hand made one in Italy or by someone Italian who knows what they are doing, but Dominos, Pizza Hut etc etc, the big corporations. It's just sh*t isn't it. Oil soaked stodge with crap tasteless cheese and crap ingredients. Just don't get the fixation with sh*te pizza. It's like willingly choosing to eat something out a skip.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Overrated food. on 09:05 - Jul 13 with 1481 viewsToast_R

Overrated food. on 21:50 - Jul 12 by Konk

Pie and mash from a Pie and mash shop. 6/10 slop for sentimental blokes who live in Zone 6 or the Home Counties, and own a book about the Krays. Better than school dinners, but not by much. And I love a good pie.

I totally agree, bland nonsense.
Overrated food. on 09:12 - Jul 13 with 1473 viewsToast_R

Shellfish. A lot of expensive faffing for minimal reward. I find most if it to be pretty flavourless anyway unless seasoned to f*ck but then all your tasting is the seasoning.

A prawn cocktail for example - bland prawns covered in ketchup and mayo and a bit of lemon chucked in to make it look at bit fancy. But all your tasting is ketchup and mayo.

And you know if you sit-down in a Superfish, they give you whole cooked prawns to start with, you have to do your own autopsy on them to get a little bit of rather bland tasting prawn meat. Meanwhile your fingers are covered in a dead prawns guts. What's that all about?

[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 9:20]
Overrated food. on 09:25 - Jul 13 with 1454 viewsMyke

Beetroot. Disgusting. And it 'bleeds' over all the nice stuff in a salad.
Overrated food. on 09:35 - Jul 13 with 1435 viewsMick_S

Overrated food. on 05:54 - Jul 13 by Konk

I’ve been to Nandos about five times - always at someone else’s insistence - and always sat there confused about what I was missing. Oven chips, chicken that seemed to have spent a month pegged-out in front of a de-humidifier, and a glass of Fanta.

Nando’s on the bbq is bloody ace. By the way, was the Fanta bottomless?

That chicken in the restaurant cooks far too quickly for my liking. I also object strongly to paying for my food before I’ve eaten it.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 9:37]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Login to get fewer ads

Overrated food. on 09:50 - Jul 13 with 1419 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Overrated food. on 08:50 - Jul 13 by bosh67

Pizza!

Not because Italy won the Euros, good luck to them.

Okay if you get a genuine hand made one in Italy or by someone Italian who knows what they are doing, but Dominos, Pizza Hut etc etc, the big corporations. It's just sh*t isn't it. Oil soaked stodge with crap tasteless cheese and crap ingredients. Just don't get the fixation with sh*te pizza. It's like willingly choosing to eat something out a skip.

This baffles me too. Plenty of great pizza places near me but the amount of mopeds and people I see walking around with dominos or pizza hut boxes is ridiculous. Perhaps it’s just a sign of how much pizza gets eaten.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Overrated food. on 10:05 - Jul 13 with 1392 viewsJPC

Overrated food. on 22:09 - Jul 12 by MrSheen

Canada’s national dish, poutine. Chips, cheese and gravy.

Try telling that to my wife who is from Montreal. It's their comfort food / hangover cure etc. They obsess about the quality of the cheese (has to be curds). absolutely disgusting
Overrated food. on 10:09 - Jul 13 with 1380 viewsKonk

Overrated food. on 09:35 - Jul 13 by Mick_S

Nando’s on the bbq is bloody ace. By the way, was the Fanta bottomless?

That chicken in the restaurant cooks far too quickly for my liking. I also object strongly to paying for my food before I’ve eaten it.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 9:37]

Yeah, bottomless, but how much pop does a person need to drink? My eldest brother loves Nando's and always goes, "But it's bottomless Fanta!" like he's eight or something.

I'm gonna stick McDonalds in here, too. You can feel yourself dying as you eat it and the fries are rubbish. For some weird reason, I always succumb to it at Schiphol airport - and only Schiphol airport - and about four mouthfuls in, I begin to hate myself for giving in.

One of the most depressing events in my life is my wife craving a McDonalds when we got back to Stansted after a holiday in Italy, where we'd had mainly amazing meals, and sitting eating McDonalds in our car, in the McDonalds car park, about a mile from the airport. Every other car in a horseshoe shape, had people sat doing the same; often on their own. No-one looked happy - just staring into space and stuffing their faces with sh it. It would have made a great Martin Parr photo. It made me want to cry.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Overrated food. on 10:17 - Jul 13 with 1350 viewsqprxtc

Cheese.

All cheeses. There is no such thing as a good cheese. Each and every one is a disgusting, vile and odious lump of congealed bacteria. Stinking load of Satan smeg.

Same with coffee. Except it smells wonderful but tastes totally the opposite. Yuck.
Overrated food. on 10:23 - Jul 13 with 1350 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Houmous.

Tasteless, uninspiring paste. Popular in Shoreditch which also puts me off it.

Pie N mash is about decent liquor and the moistness of the mash. (which I've just decided is a great name for a cover band).

I agree on Nando's it tastes ok but it's over priced and I can buy my own sauce and smother a KFC with it which I don't buy anyway but could if I wanted too. Infact I find chicken the shittest of meats.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Overrated food. on 10:37 - Jul 13 with 1323 viewsStanisgod

Hot Curry, any peppers, chillis or anything that burns your mouth out, how is that enjoyable?
Workmate came in the other morning and said he had a really hot chilli and it really burnt his mouth, sounds lovely!

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Overrated food. on 10:47 - Jul 13 with 1302 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Overrated food. on 22:08 - Jul 12 by aston_hoop

Avocado. I don't understand why people rate them, they offer nothing.

Another vote for Avocado.

Bland, middle class, self important, and with little substance or allure outside the Waitrose set. To be endured not enjoyed.

The Chukka Umunna of the food world.
Overrated food. on 11:04 - Jul 13 with 1277 viewswillis1980

Overrated food. on 22:58 - Jul 12 by CiderwithRsie

Sliced bread.

None of it's proper bread, the slices are always too thin to soak up the butter when you toast it, you definitely can't use it for toast and dripping (that's one for the underrated food thread) and letting in the air affects the freshness of a new slice

Bread in this country is on the whole piss poor. as great as a greggs sausage roll can be I find it embarassing. If you want decent bread or pastries you usually end up paying a kings ransom. I bought a coffee and a pastry for me and the wife on sunday morning, £2.20 for a croissant and £2.80 for a pain au chocolat!!! they were fair to midling in quality.
Overrated food. on 11:23 - Jul 13 with 1254 viewsPhildo

Overrated food. on 10:47 - Jul 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

Bland, middle class, self important, and with little substance or allure outside the Waitrose set. To be endured not enjoyed.

yep avocado. How does a fruit taste greasy?

It also dangerous - Mrs Phildo put a knife through her hand opening one and needed plastic surgery having severed a nerve.
Overrated food. on 11:28 - Jul 13 with 1232 viewsSheffieldHoop

Overrated food. on 10:47 - Jul 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

This only applies to a tiny set of people
Millions in the UK and around the world eat avocado for completely non-trendy or instagrammable reasons.

+1 for pie and mash from me, dead food.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Overrated food. on 11:56 - Jul 13 with 1195 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Overrated food. on 11:23 - Jul 13 by Phildo

yep avocado. How does a fruit taste greasy?

It also dangerous - Mrs Phildo put a knife through her hand opening one and needed plastic surgery having severed a nerve.

I sliced one of my fingers last week trying to get into a pack of cheese (sorry xtc🧀).
I couldn’t see any scissors lying around so instead of taking 5 seconds to find some I tryed using a knife and slipped and cut myself. Very silly and it was fairly nasty but has healed up really quickly thankfully.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Overrated food. on 12:01 - Jul 13 with 1182 views80s_Boy

Had to hand out a few negative points in this thread.

As a South Londoner who loves Manzes I won't hear any criticism of God's food...

Double, Double is the greatest meal ever!
Overrated food. on 12:10 - Jul 13 with 1148 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Overrated food. on 11:04 - Jul 13 by willis1980

Bread in this country is on the whole piss poor. as great as a greggs sausage roll can be I find it embarassing. If you want decent bread or pastries you usually end up paying a kings ransom. I bought a coffee and a pastry for me and the wife on sunday morning, £2.20 for a croissant and £2.80 for a pain au chocolat!!! they were fair to midling in quality.

I got one of the daily recipes off Eurosport's Tour de France coverage last Friday.
It called for 'Pain aux Céréales'.

I went to the 'Artisan Bread Counter' in my local Dunnes Stores. Calling it 'Artisan' allows them to charge twice the price but you still get served by the two grumpy oul wans from DinnerLadies.

"YA???" (This means 'Hello, how can I help you?")
"Hi, have you "Pain aux Céréales, please?"
"WHA???"
"Pain aux Cér...."
"WHA'S THA, LIKE?"
"It's French, I think"
"BUH WHA ISIH, LIKE"
"Well, I was hoping you'd know"
"NEVAH HEARD OF IH"
"I think it means "Cereal Bread"
"SHU ALL BREAH HAS CEREAL IN IH!!!"

"You're right. You've been a great help".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Overrated food. on 12:18 - Jul 13 with 1124 viewstoboboly

Costa, Starbucks, Subway.

Not specific foods but all specifically crap.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Overrated food. on 12:30 - Jul 13 with 1108 viewswillis1980

Overrated food. on 12:10 - Jul 13 by BrianMcCarthy

I got one of the daily recipes off Eurosport's Tour de France coverage last Friday.
It called for 'Pain aux Céréales'.

I went to the 'Artisan Bread Counter' in my local Dunnes Stores. Calling it 'Artisan' allows them to charge twice the price but you still get served by the two grumpy oul wans from DinnerLadies.

"YA???" (This means 'Hello, how can I help you?")
"Hi, have you "Pain aux Céréales, please?"
"WHA???"
"Pain aux Cér...."
"WHA'S THA, LIKE?"
"It's French, I think"
"BUH WHA ISIH, LIKE"
"Well, I was hoping you'd know"
"NEVAH HEARD OF IH"
"I think it means "Cereal Bread"
"SHU ALL BREAH HAS CEREAL IN IH!!!"

"You're right. You've been a great help".

jeez, it just fills you with confidence doesnt it. Reminds with asking my local butchers how long and at what temp i should cook the joint id just bought, he responded "no idea mate! do i look like a chef." Riiiiiiight

Rustic, artisan and peasant are red flags. My local Lidl sells 2 half decent varieties of sourdough
Overrated food. on 12:31 - Jul 13 with 1101 viewswillis1980

Overrated food. on 12:18 - Jul 13 by toboboly

Costa, Starbucks, Subway.

Not specific foods but all specifically crap.

Starbucks seem to be closing a lot of branches, this particular celebration of mediocrity doesnt seem to be as popular anymore
Overrated food. on 12:32 - Jul 13 with 1101 viewsRs_Holy

Overrated food. on 11:04 - Jul 13 by willis1980

I only get bread from our local baker... £2 a loaf is a bargain imho... Granary, Rye, white they are all delicious. Sometimes you get really lucky and the loaf is still a bit warm so I immediately cut a couple of slices and add generous amounts of butter.... It don't get any better than that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024