Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amazon deliveries 10:27 - Aug 9 with 5291 viewsRangersDave

Hi guys,

Something ive noticed recently regarding Amazon and wondered if any of you have had the same exoeriences?

i have, in the last 6 months, purchased quite a bit from Amazon, and my first gripe is that there is an awful lot of items sold there that are delivery from China, but they dont tell you that when you order. i purchased a lens for my camera at a good, but not outstanding price, and it offered next day delivery or standard.... i chose standard and on checkout the delivery was quoted as 4 weeks. Knowing that item was available in UK shops, i did some digging and it was being supplied as a 'grey' import from Hong Kong!

secondly, ive noticed that items with a 2-6 week delivery, if you try and cancel the order, you get the item the following day.

Or is it just me, and my old, fading, mind. lol

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Amazon deliveries on 10:54 - Aug 9 with 4065 viewsJuzzie

Yeah, I've kinda noticed that too. At least with eBay it was fairly clear (but not always) where the item was coming from.
I've purchased stuff thinking I'd get it in a few days at worst then find out it'll be a few weeks. Nothing that caused any problems but was interesting that it wasn't so visible.

I just think we all need to be a bit more savvy before pressing the purchase button. Look at the listing comprehensively and check things such as item location, delivery times etc.

Out of interest (just 'cos I like cameras/photography too) what camera & lenses do you have?

My first dSLR was a Konica-Minolta 5D which I still have with the kit lens and the famous 'beercan' 70-210mm f4 lens.
I have a Canon 300D and 600D bodies plus the 600D kit lens, a Canon 50mm F1.4 prime lends, Sigma 18-250 'carry-around' lens and a Canon 70-300 f4 IS USM.

Plus a Canon G10, Fuji XP130 and a Sony DSC-P50 from whence time began.

[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 11:23]
Amazon deliveries on 11:38 - Aug 9 with 3965 viewsrobith

so a lot of the stuff on amazon is them acting as the storefront and fulfilment for people who lack their scale. So a lot of stuff is just dropshipped from China or from Wish, so the delivery timing will depend on whether it's got to the UK yet or if it's coming direct from China.

Basically outside of branded goods, Amazon is pretty sh!t these days
Amazon deliveries on 12:18 - Aug 9 with 3882 viewsDavieQPR

On E Bay Companies from China use various office addresses in London that a registered to hundreds of firms. They don't quote delivery only that they are from London.
Amazon deliveries on 12:34 - Aug 9 with 3859 viewsdmm

Without wishing to judge anyone, please avoid shopping at Amazon if you possibly can. They really are a shockingly unethical company. I'll not bore you with the details - lots online if you're interested.

Using them is incredibly convenient but there are many alternative online shopping platforms covering all the stuff Amazon offers and at comparable prices.
Amazon deliveries on 14:17 - Aug 9 with 3755 viewsRangersDave

Hi Juzzie,

my 'purchase' was a sigma 85mm 'Art' lens that i cancelled due to it being a 'grey' product.

My gear is as follows

Canon 5d Mk3
Canon 6d
Canon 600d
Canon 50d

The last 2 are real fall back bodies that work fantastically if not a little old now.

Then i have the folllowing lenses....
Canon 300mm 'L' Prime 2.8
Canon 100-400 'L' 5.6
Tamron 150-600
Canon 24-105 'L'
Canon 50mm 1.8

Cheers
Dave

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Amazon deliveries on 15:31 - Aug 9 with 3664 viewsJuzzie

Amazon deliveries on 12:34 - Aug 9 by dmm

Without wishing to judge anyone, please avoid shopping at Amazon if you possibly can. They really are a shockingly unethical company. I'll not bore you with the details - lots online if you're interested.

Using them is incredibly convenient but there are many alternative online shopping platforms covering all the stuff Amazon offers and at comparable prices.

I'm guilty of using Amazon a lot for the sheer convenience (plus they make donations to my sons school) but more than happy to look around. Do you have links to these other like-for-like platforms?
Amazon deliveries on 16:08 - Aug 9 with 3594 viewsdmm

Amazon deliveries on 15:31 - Aug 9 by Juzzie

I'm guilty of using Amazon a lot for the sheer convenience (plus they make donations to my sons school) but more than happy to look around. Do you have links to these other like-for-like platforms?

I used Amazon for years too so know how convenient it is. What I tend to do now is do a general search for the item I'm looking for and see what comes up in the results. There are usually a good number of company sites to choose from.

If you use Google, or other search engines, there's a Shopping tab you can click on which filters and displays your search results differently making it easier to see what's on offer.

There are alternative shopping platforms to Amazon: https://www.ionos.co.uk/digitalguide/online-marketing/online-sales/amazon-altern but I've never used them. Of course, Ebay might be worth a try.
Amazon deliveries on 16:22 - Aug 9 with 3556 viewsBoston

Amazon deliveries on 16:08 - Aug 9 by dmm

I used Amazon for years too so know how convenient it is. What I tend to do now is do a general search for the item I'm looking for and see what comes up in the results. There are usually a good number of company sites to choose from.

If you use Google, or other search engines, there's a Shopping tab you can click on which filters and displays your search results differently making it easier to see what's on offer.

There are alternative shopping platforms to Amazon: https://www.ionos.co.uk/digitalguide/online-marketing/online-sales/amazon-altern but I've never used them. Of course, Ebay might be worth a try.

Would you mind having a word with Mrs Boston?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Amazon deliveries on 17:05 - Aug 9 with 3483 viewsQPRSteve

I've used Amazon for years but more so recently now I have mobility issues. I agree you have to be careful what you buy. Last year I bought a lifelike monkey doll for my great neice. Took ages to come and when it did it was nothing like what was shown and described. A total rip off. Won't buy anything now if it comes direct from China.

What puts me off using alternatives is Amazon Prime which gives free delivery but would be more than open to using other outlets otherwise.
Amazon deliveries on 17:16 - Aug 9 with 3460 viewsdmm

If you buy books online I'd certainly recommend ABE https://www.abebooks.co.uk/ You get an excellent of range of new and secondhand results when searching for a title. Also good for difficult to find books
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 17:16]
Amazon deliveries on 17:21 - Aug 9 with 3441 viewsMick_S

Our Amazon delivery driver is my new best mate.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Amazon deliveries on 20:42 - Aug 9 with 3255 viewsMelakaRanger

Amazon deliveries on 17:16 - Aug 9 by dmm

If you buy books online I'd certainly recommend ABE https://www.abebooks.co.uk/ You get an excellent of range of new and secondhand results when searching for a title. Also good for difficult to find books

Abes Books is Amazon

In December 2008, AbeBooks was acquired by Amazon.
Amazon deliveries on 21:12 - Aug 9 with 3200 viewsdmm

Amazon deliveries on 20:42 - Aug 9 by MelakaRanger

Abes Books is Amazon

In December 2008, AbeBooks was acquired by Amazon.

I didn't know that, thanks.
Amazon deliveries on 21:14 - Aug 9 with 3196 viewsloneranger1

For books, I can recommend Hive - especially if you're looking for standard paperbacks rather than more obscure titles. Priced at RRP and a % of the sale goes to a local bookshop (you choose which one from a selection).

From recent experience, would also recommend buying stuff from retailers which stock the kind of thing you're after - am new to camping but have picked up a lot of good basic kit from Millets/Ultimate Outdoors and most recently, Go Outdoors, which was actually a bit cheaper for the cooler I wanted than Amazon.

As noted above, a google search can lead you to other sites quite sharpish.

Obviously, because of the scale, sure most places can't compete with Amazon on speed of delivery - and sure that Amazon is often a £1 or two cheaper, but am increasingly finding it's worth having a look elsewhere to weigh up the options!
Amazon deliveries on 17:45 - Aug 11 with 2813 viewsR_from_afar

Hmmm...
"Amazon reported up to £8.2bn of its UK sales in Luxembourg in 2019, to avoid paying the higher rates in the UK, a new analysis by trade union Unite has found.

The report, seen by The Independent, claims that Amazon declared £13.7 billion of UK sales in its US accounts in 2019, but reported just £5.5 billion in sales in filings for its UK-based firms.

The company declared €57 billion (£48.3 billion) of revenue in Luxembourg in 2019. That would mean it sold about £78,000 worth of goods and services to every person in the country.

The analysis, led by chartered accountant Vivek Kotecha, examined all of Amazon's publicly disclosed information to infer how much tax the company may be avoiding in the UK".
Taken from an article by Computing (you need to register to access it).

There is also an article by The Independent, here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/amazon-tax-avoidance-luxembourg

Meanwhile, those lovely people at Apple have a cool $115bn squirreled away in tax havens.

As much as 8% of global wealth may in fact be hidden away in tax havens:
https://www.spifastfacts.org/single-post/2015/07/23/76-trillion-stashed-in-tax-h

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Amazon deliveries on 17:56 - Aug 11 with 2786 viewsPetros

Seconded, Abe is great.
Amazon deliveries on 17:57 - Aug 11 with 2785 viewsPetros

Amazon deliveries on 21:12 - Aug 9 by dmm

I didn't know that, thanks.

Oops nor did I.
Amazon deliveries on 15:36 - Aug 13 with 2502 viewsTacticalR

Previous discussion of how Amazon is using its cloud computing business to subsidise its distribution business in pursuit of its ambition to become the market:
currys amazon by enfieldargh 5 Nov 2019 20:16
Needed to buy a cheap tv for one of my kids bedrooms.

Went on Currys website found a good priced 43" was about to order it suddenly a banner appears top of screen from Amazon Prime offering same TV at the same price saying its knocked down from £399 to £249, same price as Currys .

Currys wanted £10 to deliver, Amazon its free delivery.

So question is are Amazon & Curries pat of the same group or have Amazon just hijacked a Currys purchase?

Air hostess clique

Amazon deliveries on 16:05 - Aug 13 with 2458 viewsdmm

Amazon deliveries on 15:36 - Aug 13 by TacticalR

Previous discussion of how Amazon is using its cloud computing business to subsidise its distribution business in pursuit of its ambition to become the market:
currys amazon by enfieldargh 5 Nov 2019 20:16
Needed to buy a cheap tv for one of my kids bedrooms.

Went on Currys website found a good priced 43" was about to order it suddenly a banner appears top of screen from Amazon Prime offering same TV at the same price saying its knocked down from £399 to £249, same price as Currys .

Currys wanted £10 to deliver, Amazon its free delivery.

So question is are Amazon & Curries pat of the same group or have Amazon just hijacked a Currys purchase?

Thanks for that TacticalR. Your post reminded me a little of how Starbucks competes in a locality. They opening a high number of outlets which although temporarily loses them money also puts other coffee shops out of business. Once that happens they close their superfluous outlets and have cornered the market in that area. Bully boy capitalism.
Amazon deliveries on 11:56 - Aug 15 with 2234 viewsGloryHunter

Inspired by this thread, distrusting Amazon, and having meant for ages to read "The Great Game" (with reference to what's happening in Afganistan), I've ordered a second-hand copy from Abe Books. AFTER I placed the order, I looked at "About Abe Books" and saw - We're a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. after being acquired in December 2008
Amazon deliveries on 12:33 - Aug 15 with 2183 viewsQPRSteve

Amazon deliveries on 11:56 - Aug 15 by GloryHunter

Inspired by this thread, distrusting Amazon, and having meant for ages to read "The Great Game" (with reference to what's happening in Afganistan), I've ordered a second-hand copy from Abe Books. AFTER I placed the order, I looked at "About Abe Books" and saw - We're a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. after being acquired in December 2008

Awesomebooks is a good alternative.
Amazon deliveries on 13:25 - Aug 15 with 2120 viewsdmm

Amazon deliveries on 11:56 - Aug 15 by GloryHunter

I do apologise as it was me that suggested ABE. As you'll have seen from this thread I wasn't aware it has been bought by bloody Amazon until it was pointed out.

The current events happening in Afghanistan have also piqued my interest in The Great Game and I intend watching Rory Stewart's two documentary that's on Youtube. I don't normally like Stewart but think this piece of work is good.
Amazon deliveries on 13:50 - Aug 15 with 2083 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sort of off tangent but not really.

Great Ken Loach film here:

Amazon deliveries on 13:54 - Aug 15 with 2073 viewsTacticalR

I see Mr. Loach has been purged from the Labour Party.

Air hostess clique

Amazon deliveries on 13:56 - Aug 15 with 2068 viewsenfieldargh

Hate Amazon but do use them.

When you order take a look at where the seller is based, click on their name and it will show a Chinese address.

My Mrs bought three swimming costumes around £20 a pop all direct from China(Not that she knew) and all were not what she wanted.

Apply for a refund they will always try to negotiate half price to keep; refuse the offer and insist on a full refund. They cannot afford to fall foul of Amazon.

Anybody want to buy a size 14 swimming cozy?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024