Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1976 again 15:06 - Aug 26 with 3662 viewscharmr

Somethings in life resonate more then others and leave vey influential impressions. That team did. Best team in the country at the time. Relate that to now, little old QPR. England captain.

Our best and very influential managers in the game Sexton and Venables both played in similar ways. Venables was our captain in those trans formative years.

Warburton is getting this team playing and has said he used to watch that 76 team play and train.

It is in the past granted, however it made impressions on a lot of people and obviously him and can be relatable to the modern game today. Football goes in cycles. Muddy waters influencing the stones vibe.

Those of us who witnessed that team are forever grateful and lucky and we know it. It was truly magical. What you see Warburton doing at Rangers has been influenced by that. A lot of us just want to see good football. Before flav and Bernie we were a lot of people’s second team. That’s some compliment.

No ones being influenced by any of warnocks teams.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2021 15:12]
1976 again on 16:05 - Aug 26 with 3547 viewsGreenbay

Don't forget Gordon Jago - manager 1971-1974.
He created a stunning team - which Dave Sexton and El Tel magnified.
Jago - a great guy - has lived in the U.S. for many years.
Warbs is on the same path as Jago.
So for what it's worth I couldn't give a higher complement.
That's especially in an age when it's so much tougher - financially.
I'd like to see how Pep and Klopp would manage QPR on a comparative shoe-string to what they have available at Man City and Liverpool.
I read today - if it is to believed - that Harry Kane is hoping to increase his pay to £400,000 a week - that's 20 million pounds a year.
And that covers - presumably - the yearly wage bill at QPR!
I just couldn't support a team that can buy its way to success.
That's what so good about QPR.
To see things develop almost from the ashes in the last two years is like being on an exciting journey.
It may work or it may not but - as they say - the journey with all its ups and downs is so much more fulfilling as a fan.
-
And for nostalgia's sake - what a team that was in the 70s.
Parkes,
Clement, Webb, McLintock, Gillard, (along with Mancini, Evans, Hazell)
Francis, Masson, Busby/Leach,
Givens, Bowles, Thomas.
1976 again on 16:39 - Aug 26 with 3479 viewsqpr_1968

1976 again on 16:05 - Aug 26 by Greenbay

I'd like to see how Pep and Klopp would manage QPR on a comparative shoe-string to what they have available at Man City and Liverpool.
I read today - if it is to believed - that Harry Kane is hoping to increase his pay to £400,000 a week - that's 20 million pounds a year.
To see things develop almost from the ashes in the last two years is like being on an exciting journey.
It may work or it may not but - as they say - the journey with all its ups and downs is so much more fulfilling as a fan.
-
Parkes,
Givens, Bowles, Thomas.

never to be forgotten.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

1976 again on 17:29 - Aug 26 with 3374 viewsQPRSteve

Clement, Gillard, Francis, Busby and Leach all products of our youth team. For a club of our standing, especially not long out of Div. 3) that was phenomenal.
1976 again on 18:45 - Aug 26 with 3267 viewskensalriser

1976 again on 16:05 - Aug 26 by Greenbay

-
Parkes,
Givens, Bowles, Thomas.

"I just couldn't support a team that can buy its way to success".

No, far better off with a team that could and did buy its way to failure.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

1976 again on 18:49 - Aug 26 with 3250 viewsfrancisbowles

John Hollins
1976 again on 19:25 - Aug 26 with 3186 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Don’t forget Phil Nutt. Too many do!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

1976 again on 19:43 - Aug 26 with 3157 viewsSonofpugwash

Dear old Micky Leach was better than Hollins ..... and he never dissed the club.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2021 19:44]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

1976 again on 19:48 - Aug 26 with 3153 viewsCiderwithRsie

Somehow Warburton's approach minds me more of the side Venables managed to promotion in 82-3. It might just be because Rob Dickie is the new Glenn Roeder.
Login to get fewer ads

1976 again on 20:04 - Aug 26 with 3119 viewsBoston

1976 again on 19:48 - Aug 26 by CiderwithRsie

Somehow Warburton's approach minds me more of the side Venables managed to promotion in 82-3. It might just be because Rob Dickie is the new Glenn Roeder.

Y'know, I sorta prefer Dickie, really hope he has a great career, hopefully with us.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

1976 again on 20:20 - Aug 26 with 3074 viewsCiderwithRsie

1976 again on 20:04 - Aug 26 by Boston

Y'know, I sorta prefer Dickie, really hope he has a great career, hopefully with us.

I think Rob Dickie may well be a better player than Glenn Roeder, but you know how it is with childhood heroes.

Would love to think there a kids growing up now who 40 years on will remember how every single week Rob would run half the length of the pitch with the ball, only stopping to unleash a thunderbastard into the net; and when any attacking defender is talked up will sagely nod and say, "Ah, but you never saw Rob Dickie, did you?"
1976 again on 22:13 - Aug 26 with 2907 viewsBoston

1976 again on 20:20 - Aug 26 by CiderwithRsie

I think Rob Dickie may well be a better player than Glenn Roeder, but you know how it is with childhood heroes.

Would love to think there a kids growing up now who 40 years on will remember how every single week Rob would run half the length of the pitch with the ball, only stopping to unleash a thunderbastard into the net; and when any attacking defender is talked up will sagely nod and say, "Ah, but you never saw Rob Dickie, did you?"

Aya, back in t'day when men were men and each football boot weighed 7lbs...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

1976 again on 09:42 - Aug 27 with 2691 viewsSonofpugwash

Was watching The Big Match yesterday on t'telly ....1976 Arsenal away... and how "relaxed"(ie.slow) everything was.Apart from the titanic Frnacis/Bowles/Thomas axis it would be hard to figure where those other players would fit in today.But then there was Phil Parkes,what an absolute GOD he was.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

1976 again on 09:53 - Aug 27 with 2685 viewskernowhoop

Wonderful memories. Let's hope that the current team can forge some new ones. There are things in common with 1976, but we have to recognise how much the game has changed in 45 years - often for the better.
1976 again on 10:05 - Aug 27 with 2672 viewsterryb

1976 again on 09:42 - Aug 27 by Sonofpugwash

Was watching The Big Match yesterday on t'telly ....1976 Arsenal away... and how "relaxed"(ie.slow) everything was.Apart from the titanic Frnacis/Bowles/Thomas axis it would be hard to figure where those other players would fit in today.But then there was Phil Parkes,what an absolute GOD he was.

I'm not one for comparing our greatest team with present day formations etc, but footballers from those days would hve been brought up/coached to play in the modern way.

However, apart from the four you mention, Dave Clement would have been outstanding at right wing back, Don Masson would have the Stefan role & Don Givens would (and often was) the one up front.
1976 again on 10:12 - Aug 27 with 2661 viewsfrancisbowles

1976 again on 19:43 - Aug 26 by Sonofpugwash

Dear old Micky Leach was better than Hollins ..... and he never dissed the club.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2021 19:44]

Anyone know how any games they each played, preferably season by season, when they were both, together at, the club.
1976 again on 11:14 - Aug 27 with 2599 viewsStratfordBoy

As sonofpugwash was saying earlier The Big Match is on ITV4 every day at about 6pm & they are currently running what seems to be a whole season's matches from season '74 presented by the great Brian Moore. We've featured a few times & it does seems London concentric. I forgot how exciting it was (despite the pitches), no tickie tackie around the box, full on attacking football & some robust challenges but players don't seem to make a meal of it unless it actually breaks their leg! Some of the studio interviews are comical, many are monosyllabic & it's obvious how modern players are so much more media savvy. Plus I like the 'Where are they now' feature, wish MoTD would do stuff like that. Would recommend.....
1976 again on 11:37 - Aug 27 with 2579 viewsCamberleyR

1976 again on 11:14 - Aug 27 by StratfordBoy

As sonofpugwash was saying earlier The Big Match is on ITV4 every day at about 6pm & they are currently running what seems to be a whole season's matches from season '74 presented by the great Brian Moore. We've featured a few times & it does seems London concentric. I forgot how exciting it was (despite the pitches), no tickie tackie around the box, full on attacking football & some robust challenges but players don't seem to make a meal of it unless it actually breaks their leg! Some of the studio interviews are comical, many are monosyllabic & it's obvious how modern players are so much more media savvy. Plus I like the 'Where are they now' feature, wish MoTD would do stuff like that. Would recommend.....

The Big Match was Londoncentric because football on ITV in those days was regionalised and each ITV region would have their own football show. The Big Match was the London region's show made by LWT.

The 'big four' shows if you like were LWT's 'The Big Match', ATV's Star Soccer presented by Hugh Johns, Granada's 'The Kick Off Match' presented by Gerald Sinstadt and Yorkshire TV's 'Football Special' presented by Keith Macklin.

ITV football stayed regionalised until the late 80s when they got the exclusive live football league rights.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

1976 again on 11:42 - Aug 27 with 2565 viewsCamberleyR

1976 again on 10:12 - Aug 27 by francisbowles

Anyone know how any games they each played, preferably season by season, when they were both, together at, the club.

Hollins signed in summer 1975 and they played three seasons together before Mick Leach went out to play in America in 1978. Their stats for those seasons were:

Subs apps in brackets
75/76
Hollins 29 (5)
Leach 34 (3)

76/77
Hollins 56
Leach26 (7)

77/78
Hollins 47 (1)
Leach 7 (1)

Courtesy of the brilliant stats section on https://www.qprnet.com/seasonal-stats---files.html
[Post edited 27 Aug 2021 11:43]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

1976 again on 11:00 - Aug 29 with 2257 viewsfrancisbowles

1976 again on 11:42 - Aug 27 by CamberleyR

Hollins signed in summer 1975 and they played three seasons together before Mick Leach went out to play in America in 1978. Their stats for those seasons were:

Subs apps in brackets
75/76
Hollins 29 (5)
Leach 34 (3)

76/77
Hollins 56
Leach26 (7)

77/78
Hollins 47 (1)
Leach 7 (1)

Courtesy of the brilliant stats section on https://www.qprnet.com/seasonal-stats---files.html
[Post edited 27 Aug 2021 11:43]

Thanks CamberleyR for the stats and link. That's a great resource, it's now bookmarked!

Difficult for anyone to prove that Mick was a far superior play to John Hollins. Certainly Dave Sexton found it difficult to choose between them in 75-76 and that's how I vaguely remember it 45 years later.

Hollins seems to have been a mainstay in the side in the following three seasons whilst Leach played fewer games for his remaining two. Can you remember, was Mick injured much in this period? I can remember him being out with a fractured cheek bone but I think that was before this period in 73-74 or 74-75.

I have a lot of respect for both players, even knowing where Hollins real loyalties lie. He served us well as player, captain(?), assistant and caretaker manager and always with a smile and friendly nod to fans outside the ground.
1976 again on 11:14 - Aug 29 with 2221 viewsWatfordR

What I think is important here is having someone like Warburton in charge, who not only knows what he wants, but is the one going out there to coach his team how to achieve it.

The days of a traditional old manager are long gone I feel. Much to the horror of a few on here.

I hope the lessons have been learnt so that when time comes for Warburton to move on, we replace like with like.
1976 again on 11:37 - Aug 29 with 2180 viewsStainrod

Given that Eustace turned down Swansea to stay, would imagine there is some kind of gentleman's agreement in place that he is next in line. It worked (dare I say it) at Brentford, so you have continuity rather than someone like Harry coming in and wanting 20 new players.
1976 again on 14:17 - Aug 29 with 2098 viewsPinnerPaul

1976 again on 11:37 - Aug 27 by CamberleyR

The Big Match was Londoncentric because football on ITV in those days was regionalised and each ITV region would have their own football show. The Big Match was the London region's show made by LWT.

The 'big four' shows if you like were LWT's 'The Big Match', ATV's Star Soccer presented by Hugh Johns, Granada's 'The Kick Off Match' presented by Gerald Sinstadt and Yorkshire TV's 'Football Special' presented by Keith Macklin.

ITV football stayed regionalised until the late 80s when they got the exclusive live football league rights.

Good knowledge.

Wasn't just sport either - each ITV company was a separate entity/plc in its own right.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2021 14:18]
1976 again on 21:14 - Aug 29 with 1961 viewsHastings_Hoops

What hasn’t been mentioned here (though eluded to, by virtue of succession planning for our system with Eustace) is that the flavour of football we’re seeing has to be significantly credited to sir Les… let’s be honest, warbs was the first appointment which Les and Lee Hoos were able to make unfettered and it’s worked.

…Les would have learnt that 74-77 QPR football identity from Gerry Francis and played it in that great team of 92-95.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024