Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Highbury semi-final - History 11:18 - Sep 23 with 2356 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/55839
The Highbury semi-final - History on 11:23 - Sep 23 with 1962 viewsCamberleyR

Big , bad Bob was absolutely sensational that day. Cyrille Regis was on his way to a 25 goal season for them and was probably one of the hottest properties there'd been among strikers for ages. These days he would have been a £100m player. Big Bob hardly gave him a sniff.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

The Highbury semi-final - History on 12:48 - Sep 23 with 1866 viewsstainrods_elbow

I remember it like it was yesterday. It wasn't a great game of football, a scrappy goal to win it, but Hazell did an absolute number on Regis and we totally deserved it for our organisation, cohesion and Venables' spot-on tactical plan.

The Cup Final replay still hurts me a lot more than Oxford in 1986, given our wonderful 'underdogs' performance and the rank corruption of the ref., who sadly died in a car-crash shortly after, I believe.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

The Highbury semi-final - History on 12:58 - Sep 23 with 1842 viewsCamberleyR

The Highbury semi-final - History on 12:48 - Sep 23 by stainrods_elbow

I remember it like it was yesterday. It wasn't a great game of football, a scrappy goal to win it, but Hazell did an absolute number on Regis and we totally deserved it for our organisation, cohesion and Venables' spot-on tactical plan.

The Cup Final replay still hurts me a lot more than Oxford in 1986, given our wonderful 'underdogs' performance and the rank corruption of the ref., who sadly died in a car-crash shortly after, I believe.

No, that bent bastard is still alive...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_White

The Highbury semi-final - History on 13:00 - Sep 23 with 1827 viewsMrSheen

After Clive ripped into Everton fans' historic racism earlier in the week, it's only fair to mention the non-stop abuse of Regis that day. The first and only time I can remember QPR fans throwing bananas at a player (and not just one or two).
The Highbury semi-final - History on 13:09 - Sep 23 with 1812 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The Highbury semi-final - History on 13:00 - Sep 23 by MrSheen

After Clive ripped into Everton fans' historic racism earlier in the week, it's only fair to mention the non-stop abuse of Regis that day. The first and only time I can remember QPR fans throwing bananas at a player (and not just one or two).

Really?

That's awful to hear. I wonder what Bob Hazell made of it...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The Highbury semi-final - History on 13:21 - Sep 23 with 1781 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Still my favourite day as an Rfosi.

Robert of Wolverhampton was a colossus that day and as said previously, against a forward in Regis who today would fetch tens of millions in the transfer market.

Incredible to think next year will be the 40th anniversary of that wonderful day.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

The Highbury semi-final - History on 13:58 - Sep 23 with 1730 viewsParkRoyalR

The Highbury semi-final - History on 13:09 - Sep 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Really?

If my memory is not playing tricks, did Regis not pick it up and hand it to Hazell, who threw it off the pitch?

20,000 Rangers in 1982, a time which coincided with skinhead fashion / NF far right revival in London, not surprised a few idiots thought did shameful act was 'funny' and a great way to wind-up the late great Cyrille Regis (RIP). Chelsea did not have a total monopoly on racists in West London.
The Highbury semi-final - History on 14:12 - Sep 23 with 1702 viewsMrSheen

The Highbury semi-final - History on 13:09 - Sep 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Really?

A few gas-themed songs in the weeks before the final, too.
Login to get fewer ads

The Highbury semi-final - History on 14:55 - Sep 23 with 1655 viewsJuzzie

Having gone to a few reserve games, that was my first ever first team game. I asked my art teacher if I could skip double-art lesson so I could get down (I cycled all the way) to LR to buy the tickets.

My brother couldn't make it so it was me and my Dad. We arrived not long before kick off and ended up right at the back of the North Bank on the left hand side as you look at the pitch.
I recall little of the game but, as other have said, Hazell really stood out. Didn't see any of the goal, just that ball pinging around and a huge roar so I knew we had scored. Delirium.
The Highbury semi-final - History on 15:20 - Sep 23 with 1626 viewsBoston

Great day to be a Rangers fan. Sadly I recall little of the day, remember a little bit of pre match piss taking outside on the street, standing at the back of the North Bank, us scoring…god knows what went on the rest of the day, well, outside that there was alcohol involved.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Highbury semi-final - History on 15:34 - Sep 23 with 1593 viewsqprphil

It sure was a great day. Bob was fantastic that day, come to think of it one of the best center half's we've had.
The Highbury semi-final - History on 15:47 - Sep 23 with 1577 viewsbollockchops

We went in a lot of pubs that day Two Blackbirds, The Gunners , something Tavern and the day before Argentina had invaded The Falklands so there was a lot of songs about that. When Sky replay this season they bang on about the advantage with our plastic pitch but we were a division below and they not only had Cyril Regis but also Laurie Cunningham and Brendan Batson .
They were a good team and we beat them on grass.
I havnt been to the new Arsenal but that day is how i remember Highbury ,proper rocking and you could walk round to the half way line !
The Highbury semi-final - History on 15:58 - Sep 23 with 1558 viewsthehat

Wonderful day - I was only 13 and went to Highbury with my Dad and brother we got the tube from East Acton and it was full of Rangers signing "We're going to Wembley your not"

The Clive Allen goal and celebrations after were up there with the best!!

Yes Bob Hazell went down in folklore that day.

I thought it was always going to be like this!!
The Highbury semi-final - History on 16:47 - Sep 23 with 1498 viewsBostonR

Regis and Hazell were like two heavyweight boxers that day. What a pair-up.

Bob did a number on Cyrille that day. Massive respect shown to each other at the final whistle, but I bet Hazell knew he was in a game. Regis tried to get away from him a few times, but on that day Hazell had his card marked.

It's worth remebering that Hazell was brilliant in both the final and replay.
The Highbury semi-final - History on 20:52 - Sep 23 with 1370 viewsNoDiddley

Had the pleasure of meeting & speaking to Bob Hazell when we got our arse smacked 7-1 3 years ago, we were in the Cyrille Regis suite having a few ‘corporate’ beers.
I told him he was the MOTM & every R had the upmost respect for him , the funny side of it was his stories about Andy King who was of course an Ex R, said he was as mad as a hatter!
Bob said he clattered into him in the semi & King said “ I thought we were mates Bob?”
To which Bob replied “ We were but not today you fcuker!”
Top bloke
The Highbury semi-final - History on 21:49 - Sep 23 with 1315 viewsMrSheen

The Highbury semi-final - History on 16:47 - Sep 23 by BostonR

Regis and Hazell were like two heavyweight boxers that day. What a pair-up.

Bob did a number on Cyrille that day. Massive respect shown to each other at the final whistle, but I bet Hazell knew he was in a game. Regis tried to get away from him a few times, but on that day Hazell had his card marked.

It's worth remebering that Hazell was brilliant in both the final and replay.

I could never understand why we got rid of Bob after promotion. Starved of information outside local papers and Ceefax then.
The Highbury semi-final - History on 21:56 - Sep 23 with 1305 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The Highbury semi-final - History on 21:49 - Sep 23 by MrSheen

I could never understand why we got rid of Bob after promotion. Starved of information outside local papers and Ceefax then.

I think he started our first season back in the top flight, Sheen?

Was it Hazell that got knocked out in a game and woke up in hospital to find out that he'd been transferred out of Rangers?

The Highbury semi-final - History on 21:59 - Sep 23 with 1295 viewsParkRoyalR

The Highbury semi-final - History on 21:49 - Sep 23 by MrSheen

Might have had something to do with being charged with 'siphoning petrol' during the Handsworth Riots? Great player, top bloke, just very different times!
The Highbury semi-final - History on 22:10 - Sep 23 with 1280 viewsCamberleyR

The Highbury semi-final - History on 21:56 - Sep 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Was it Hazell that got knocked out in a game and woke up in hospital to find out that he'd been transferred out of Rangers?

He did. Played the first six games, was subbed in the sixth (presumably the game you're referring to Brian) and didn't play again. Macca made his debut and played a few games and then Steve Wicks came back into the team and remained there the rest of the season. BH was transferred to Leicester in September 1983.

The Highbury semi-final - History on 22:11 - Sep 23 with 1276 viewsMrSheen

The Highbury semi-final - History on 21:56 - Sep 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Just read his Wiki, you're right he was sold a month into our first season back up. Was he knocked out in a game or did he fall down the stairs at home?

The petrol thing, not guilty I think, and a few years before.

Only footballer's autograph I ever got. Lost it straight away...
The Highbury semi-final - History on 22:17 - Sep 23 with 1260 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I don't know for sure, folks, about the knockout-transfer - but I'm sure I read it, maybe in an early AKUTR's?

The Highbury semi-final - History on 00:17 - Sep 24 with 1176 viewsCLAREMAN1995

The Highbury semi-final - History on 12:58 - Sep 23 by CamberleyR

No, that bent bastard is still alive...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_White

Now that was a funny post Camberley R glad he is still kicking at least.I need a refresher but i guess the Spurs penalty was not one and we got denied one is that it .
I was too young and poor to make it across to Wembley but did manage to watch it on our neighbors black and white TV.
I made it in 86 though hmm
The Highbury semi-final - History on 07:29 - Sep 24 with 1103 viewsCamberleyR

The Highbury semi-final - History on 00:17 - Sep 24 by CLAREMAN1995

Now that was a funny post Camberley R glad he is still kicking at least.I need a refresher but i guess the Spurs penalty was not one and we got denied one is that it .
I was too young and poor to make it across to Wembley but did manage to watch it on our neighbors black and white TV.

After returning from the World Cup in 1982 (he was England's representative) he was convicted of deception and fined £1500 and resigned from the referees list shortly after. It also came out afterwards that he sometimes used to train with Spurs.

The Highbury semi-final - History on 08:54 - Sep 24 with 1033 viewsMrSheen

The Highbury semi-final - History on 00:17 - Sep 24 by CLAREMAN1995

No, definitely a penalty! Currie (?) would have got a red card too these days.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2021 9:18]
The Highbury semi-final - History on 09:20 - Sep 24 with 1004 viewsSnipper

Completely random fact about the FA Cup that year.

The 1982 semi finals had two lower league teams competing, Leicester and ourselves.

It’s only happened once since to my knowledge, what year, and which teams?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024