Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Betting sponsor 09:51 - Oct 8 with 6706 viewssparkey

Quite disappointed with this. Thought we made progress with not having a betting sponsor. Watched Paul Merson speak about how betting addiction ruined his life and really don't think this move is clever especially with the way our club is progressing.
Betting sponsor on 08:10 - Oct 12 with 1222 viewswestberksr

wouldn't be surprised to see this lot fold within a few months as the betting market is pretty saturated already. I don't have any issue with the club having a betting 'partner' as nobody will pay any attention to it at our level and it's not a high profile campaign that is being pushed on us as far as I can see from other similar deals elsewhere.

however, I do object to live football having every add littered with 'who scores next' adds which heavily promote gambling right into the view of TV fans, many of whom wouldn't necessarily consider having a bet but could get lured in via this method. The same applies to the daytime TV and its online bingo adds, portraying it as some kind of social club.

Sh1t name for a bookies anyway!
Betting sponsor on 08:23 - Oct 12 with 1211 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Betting sponsor on 08:10 - Oct 12 by westberksr

wouldn't be surprised to see this lot fold within a few months as the betting market is pretty saturated already. I don't have any issue with the club having a betting 'partner' as nobody will pay any attention to it at our level and it's not a high profile campaign that is being pushed on us as far as I can see from other similar deals elsewhere.

however, I do object to live football having every add littered with 'who scores next' adds which heavily promote gambling right into the view of TV fans, many of whom wouldn't necessarily consider having a bet but could get lured in via this method. The same applies to the daytime TV and its online bingo adds, portraying it as some kind of social club.

Sh1t name for a bookies anyway!

"however, I do object to live football having every add littered with 'who scores next' adds"

100%.

The one that bugs me is Croaky Ray Winstone with his "But, please, bet sensibly". The preachy tone of it. As if only an idiot would not bet sensibly. As if betting wasn't a common addiction that can throw logic on the same scrapheap it fires marriages and familial relationships on.

As if that cosy little line covers him making a mint from other people's misery.

"But, please folks, inject heroin sensibly".
[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 8:35]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Betting sponsor on 13:48 - Oct 12 with 1095 viewsPinnerPaul

Betting sponsor on 08:23 - Oct 12 by BrianMcCarthy

"however, I do object to live football having every add littered with 'who scores next' adds"

100%.

The one that bugs me is Croaky Ray Winstone with his "But, please, bet sensibly". The preachy tone of it. As if only an idiot would not bet sensibly. As if betting wasn't a common addiction that can throw logic on the same scrapheap it fires marriages and familial relationships on.

As if that cosy little line covers him making a mint from other people's misery.

One of our rare disagreement coming up - heroin is illegal, betting isn't.
Betting sponsor on 13:54 - Oct 12 with 1083 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Betting sponsor on 13:48 - Oct 12 by PinnerPaul

One of our rare disagreement coming up - heroin is illegal, betting isn't.

Fair point, of course. I was just pointing out the fig leaf of that phrase.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Betting sponsor on 13:55 - Oct 12 with 1078 viewsPinnerPaul

Also travel ads in travel programmes, toy ads in kids programmes etc etc etc

Just sensible advert placement.

Kept me in a job for years and still pays DaveB's mortgage!
Betting sponsor on 14:12 - Oct 12 with 1050 viewsdaveB

Betting sponsor on 08:23 - Oct 12 by BrianMcCarthy

100%.

The rules on live odds during football changed about 2 years ago, you can no longer run these ads in the break before a game, half time and the break after the game. That change came about through the betting companies trying to take action before the government step in and ban them all completely.

That has had quite a big impact on that market for live odds. I can't speak for Sky & BT but when we had the Euros on ITV in the summer usually we'd have about 4/5 bookmakers wanting to do ads with live odds 5/6 times per match, that was greatly reduced in the summer to it being one or at most 2 per game.

They of course still advertise other things but the live odds market has been reduced.
Betting sponsor on 14:32 - Oct 12 with 1026 viewsDiscodroids

The slow motion riot of gambling addiction has left it's stain on my family via my eldest. To me, it's the Kraken of all addictions.

Amazingly, given my addictive peronality, it never left it's carcinogenic taint on me. We made it to the other side in one piece with my boy, others aren't so fortunate.

People talk about the parameters of personal responsibility and the force of Will but we're not all made the same, from the moment we kick and scream sucking in our first breath we have different DNA percolating in us all from the floorboards up.

Lifes Addictions meld to the individual vunerabilities like Japanese knot weed.

I'd rather we didn't advertise with gambling firms, just as if it were companies that manufactured Yayo, skunk , White burgers, khat alkoloids and shamanic tree bark hallucinogens.

Just my opnion, can fully understand those that see it differently.

Bring back classical FM!
[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 14:38]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Betting sponsor on 16:10 - Oct 12 with 955 viewsPinnerPaul

Betting sponsor on 14:32 - Oct 12 by Discodroids

The slow motion riot of gambling addiction has left it's stain on my family via my eldest. To me, it's the Kraken of all addictions.

Amazingly, given my addictive peronality, it never left it's carcinogenic taint on me. We made it to the other side in one piece with my boy, others aren't so fortunate.

People talk about the parameters of personal responsibility and the force of Will but we're not all made the same, from the moment we kick and scream sucking in our first breath we have different DNA percolating in us all from the floorboards up.

Lifes Addictions meld to the individual vunerabilities like Japanese knot weed.

I'd rather we didn't advertise with gambling firms, just as if it were companies that manufactured Yayo, skunk , White burgers, khat alkoloids and shamanic tree bark hallucinogens.

Just my opnion, can fully understand those that see it differently.

Bring back classical FM!
[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 14:38]

Fair points and of course if you and/or close family have been touched by anything like this, you're bound to feel as you do and there is no need to apologise for it.

My main point is that, like many things these days, the media seem to alight on something and it gets coverage/reaction that is maybe disproportionate to the size of the problem.

Thinking along those lines I found this from the office of National Statistics, which does make you pause and think, when set aside the 52 deaths a year that the Merson programme stated were gambling related.

"In 2019, there were 7,565 deaths registered in the UK that related to alcohol-specific causes, the second highest since the data time series began in 2001."

This is not meant as an anti drinking or indeed pro gambling campaign, just an illustration that when considering any 'cause' its sometimes good to look at the wider picture.
Login to get fewer ads

Betting sponsor on 20:08 - Oct 12 with 864 viewsDorse

After announcing our official betting partner, the club will soon announce our official haemorrhoid treatment partner, official weedkiller partner, official spatula partner and official monkey dissuasion partner. It's a great time to be alive.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Betting sponsor on 20:32 - Oct 12 with 849 viewsDavieQPR

I'm amazed that Scunthorpe are allowed to have their name on their shirts in this day and age.
Betting sponsor on 21:32 - Oct 13 with 720 viewsMedwayR

Betting sponsor on 21:58 - Oct 11 by Toast_R

Paul Merson doc on BBC1 just now. Sinister really just how bookies are allowed to get away with their practices. Utterly appalling.

No problem with bookies if they acted with some integrity, plenty can gamble without a problem, but that isn’t the case currently & something should be done about the way they target vulnerable people. I’d rather QPR kept clear.

Poll: Who’s better?

Betting sponsor on 23:02 - Oct 13 with 693 viewsPunteR

Betting has changed over the years. Its a lot easier to do now. A new generation that gamble via their phone.. I think we will see more gambling related problems over the next few years.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Betting sponsor on 23:45 - Oct 13 with 669 viewsBushman

As Merson said in the doc you have to drink alcohol or take drugs to become an addict but with gambling it’s a disease that’s inside him all the time and he fights every day.

The programme was terrifying

Everyone should watch it

It could be you or your son daughter brother being targeted by the aps that recognise your betting patterns if you are a heavy gambler that looses a lot and still keeps betting - they are the unfortunate addicts they rely on to get rich.

Dirty money
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 23:47]

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Betting sponsor on 10:08 - Oct 14 with 606 viewsdaveB

Betting sponsor on 23:45 - Oct 13 by Bushman

As Merson said in the doc you have to drink alcohol or take drugs to become an addict but with gambling it’s a disease that’s inside him all the time and he fights every day.

The programme was terrifying

Everyone should watch it

It could be you or your son daughter brother being targeted by the aps that recognise your betting patterns if you are a heavy gambler that looses a lot and still keeps betting - they are the unfortunate addicts they rely on to get rich.

Dirty money
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 23:47]

The tracking of what you look at on the internet by all companies is terrifying, if they changed the word Cookies to Tracker you'd find a lot less people happily ticking yes to it every time.

The show was very good and Merson was right in that by saying gamble responsibly you are putting all the blame on the addict, You wouldn't take an alcoholic to a pub buy him a pint and say set your own limit

As with cigarettes the eventual outcome will be a ban on tv advertising but for me that just sweeps the real problem under the carpet the same as when they ban fast food ads thats not going to stop people eating burgers and getting fat. Betting companies should have things in place now to limit how much you can put in per day and per month that shouldn't be the choice of the gambler.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024