Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Betting sponsor 09:51 - Oct 8 with 6705 viewssparkey

Quite disappointed with this. Thought we made progress with not having a betting sponsor. Watched Paul Merson speak about how betting addiction ruined his life and really don't think this move is clever especially with the way our club is progressing.
Betting sponsor on 14:46 - Oct 8 with 1929 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Whether you like gambling or not. This just looks a bit sh1t.

https://www.tebwin.com/#/lobby

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Betting sponsor on 15:14 - Oct 8 with 1884 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Betting sponsor on 14:46 - Oct 8 by PinnerPaul

and I said at the time, that was completely at odds with what Lee Hoos said - he doesn't have a problem with being sponsored by a gambling company.

I think it was Mr Ashville that came up with that hope that we would stick with local.

A forlorn hope surely, as if we make the PL, we're going to go with the biggest offer, and that is likely to come form a national/international company - gambling or not.

Making some great points as per usual, Paul.

I am disappointed - I wish we could exist without betting sponsorship - but enjoying the debate as ever.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Betting sponsor on 15:19 - Oct 8 with 1879 viewsPinnerPaul

Betting sponsor on 15:14 - Oct 8 by BrianMcCarthy

I am disappointed - I wish we could exist without betting sponsorship - but enjoying the debate as ever.

Thanks Brian and as usual you make your points eloquently without hyperbole.

Paul (Founder member of the BrianMcCarthy/PinnerPaul mutual appreciation society)
Betting sponsor on 15:32 - Oct 8 with 1852 viewsLythamR

and I said at the time, that was completely at odds with what Lee Hoos said - he doesn't have a problem with being sponsored by a gambling company.

I think it was Mr Ashville that came up with that hope that we would stick with local.

A forlorn hope surely, as if we make the PL, we're going to go with the biggest offer, and that is likely to come form a national/international company - gambling or not.

Of course we will go for the money, but i can be disappointed by this official sponsorship instead of "thrilled" if i choose to be

If I knew that we were getting a really great commercial deal by associating the QPR name of which i am very proud with this start up gambling company nobody has heard of it might soften the blow a bit
Betting sponsor on 15:34 - Oct 8 with 1851 viewsLythamR

Betting sponsor on 15:19 - Oct 8 by PinnerPaul

Paul (Founder member of the BrianMcCarthy/PinnerPaul mutual appreciation society)

LOL get a room you 2 :)
Betting sponsor on 15:52 - Oct 8 with 1837 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What are you up to later?

Betting sponsor on 16:21 - Oct 8 with 1790 viewsPinnerPaul

Betting sponsor on 15:32 - Oct 8 by LythamR

Of course we will go for the money, but i can be disappointed by this official sponsorship instead of "thrilled" if i choose to be

If I knew that we were getting a really great commercial deal by associating the QPR name of which i am very proud with this start up gambling company nobody has heard of it might soften the blow a bit

Fair point.
Betting sponsor on 16:26 - Oct 8 with 1776 viewsSK_hoops

"You're telling me none of you came up with anything, they need a name in 5 minutes!"

......"What's 'bet' backwards?

"Yeah fine, that'll do. Stick a win at the end and we're good to go".
[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 16:28]
Login to get fewer ads

Betting sponsor on 18:00 - Oct 8 with 1691 viewsJuzzie

they should have gone the whole hog with Niwteb
Betting sponsor on 06:41 - Oct 9 with 1579 viewsDorse

B'n'P? It's not a great look...

Brace for impact....

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Betting sponsor on 07:08 - Oct 9 with 1566 viewsdistortR

Betting sponsor on 15:14 - Oct 8 by BrianMcCarthy

you've changed your story.

I thought you said you were disapoolnted?

I imagined the deal had 'given you the shits', as they say in oz when they are pissed off.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2021 7:49]
Betting sponsor on 08:10 - Oct 9 with 1530 viewsessextaxiboy

Betting sponsor on 12:48 - Oct 8 by joe90

Unpopular view - I don't have a problem with a betting sponsor. If the sponsor can afford to pay to advertise go for it. I don't see it as a moral issue as the majority of those who gamble do so responsibly and not all those who don't are addicted, they're simply irresponsible people. The club shouldn't lose revenue because of them or a perceived moral issue. IMO it's just something people are jumping on the bandwagon about. I have a friend who's an alcoholic, I don't think drink sponsors should be banned.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 13:51]

Exactly this , commercial revenue is an important part of our new sustainable plan . Why are we so precious about bookmakers ? . Our very first scoreboard back in the 70s was sponsored by Corals .
Betting sponsor on 08:31 - Oct 9 with 1514 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Betting sponsor on 07:08 - Oct 9 by distortR

you've changed your story.

I thought you said you were disapoolnted?

I imagined the deal had 'given you the shits', as they say in oz when they are pissed off.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2021 7:49]

Steady!

I went from 'disappointing' to 'disappointed'.

We've always had betting booths at HQ, going back to the 80's at least. I have no problem with that, but having a 'betting partner' or whatever phrase they used is another step. I don't like it, but then - as Toast-R points out - the Guinness top is a work of art and I'd wear one now. So, I think I might be too close to hypocrisy here to give any lectures.

Betting sponsor on 08:39 - Oct 9 with 1499 viewsessextaxiboy

If we are in the Premier League , they dont offer . We go out and sell it .
Betting sponsor (n/t) on 08:42 - Oct 9 with 1498 viewsessextaxiboy

[Post edited 9 Oct 2021 8:43]
Betting sponsor on 08:52 - Oct 9 with 1484 viewsthorpebankR

Betting sponsor on 14:46 - Oct 8 by CliveWilsonSaid

Whether you like gambling or not. This just looks a bit sh1t.

https://www.tebwin.com/#/lobby

Their website is awful think it’s the worst betting app I’ve ever seen.
Betting sponsor on 08:56 - Oct 9 with 1470 viewsdistortR

Betting sponsor on 08:31 - Oct 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Steady!

I went from 'disappointing' to 'disappointed'.

We've always had betting booths at HQ, going back to the 80's at least. I have no problem with that, but having a 'betting partner' or whatever phrase they used is another step. I don't like it, but then - as Toast-R points out - the Guinness top is a work of art and I'd wear one now. So, I think I might be too close to hypocrisy here to give any lectures.

re-read your initial post
Betting sponsor on 09:03 - Oct 9 with 1458 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Betting sponsor on 08:56 - Oct 9 by distortR

re-read your initial post

Ah,

I wondered what you were getting at!

Edited now!

Betting sponsor on 17:55 - Oct 10 with 1325 viewsPinnerPaul

Betting sponsor on 08:39 - Oct 9 by essextaxiboy

If we are in the Premier League , they dont offer . We go out and sell it .

Semantics, however we go about it I'm afraid Ashville won't be anywhere the best offer we receive/obtain.
Betting sponsor on 18:39 - Oct 10 with 1289 viewsLongsufferingR

This is all a little bit strange. If you did a poll of Rs fans on the shirt sponsor we've had that they were most pleased with/proud of, Guinness would no doubt come way out on top. Doesn't alcohol end or ruin far more lives than gambling? If they were flashing up messages during a game encouraging people to have a bet, that's obviously completely wrong, but I can't get upset about us getting added income in this way.
Betting sponsor on 23:13 - Oct 10 with 1185 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Betting sponsor on 18:39 - Oct 10 by LongsufferingR

This is all a little bit strange. If you did a poll of Rs fans on the shirt sponsor we've had that they were most pleased with/proud of, Guinness would no doubt come way out on top. Doesn't alcohol end or ruin far more lives than gambling? If they were flashing up messages during a game encouraging people to have a bet, that's obviously completely wrong, but I can't get upset about us getting added income in this way.

Yes Guinness is alcohol but it's a quality brand and product.

Chances of me having a pint of Guinness in the next month = 65%

Chances of me using Tebwin ever = 0%

I haven't gambled in years but I do understand the appeal. I just think this looks like a poor product.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Betting sponsor on 03:53 - Oct 11 with 1123 viewsessextaxiboy

Betting sponsor on 17:55 - Oct 10 by PinnerPaul

Semantics, however we go about it I'm afraid Ashville won't be anywhere the best offer we receive/obtain.

think that some promoted clubs dont realise what they have to sell. I agree nice as the boss sounded Ashville would be priced out .
[Post edited 11 Oct 2021 4:15]
Betting sponsor on 12:25 - Oct 11 with 1066 viewsPinnerPaul

Betting sponsor on 03:53 - Oct 11 by essextaxiboy

think that some promoted clubs dont realise what they have to sell. I agree nice as the boss sounded Ashville would be priced out .
[Post edited 11 Oct 2021 4:15]

Fair enough
Betting sponsor on 21:58 - Oct 11 with 984 viewsToast_R

Paul Merson doc on BBC1 just now. Sinister really just how bookies are allowed to get away with their practices. Utterly appalling.
Betting sponsor on 22:00 - Oct 11 with 982 viewsA40Bosh

Betting sponsor on 11:33 - Oct 8 by BrianMcCarthy

Disappointing.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2021 9:03]

Just watching the programme with Merson.
Feel sick to my stomach.
Thank God never ever had any interest in it.
QPR move away from dealing with any betting companies as part of our work in the community

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024