Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes, Scotland 17:53 - Oct 9 with 13210 viewsPhilothesuperhoop

He smashed it hard down the middle and the keeper just stood his ground and saved it with his legs. To be honest his penalty technique has worried me from the start….does this mean that keepers have now worked him out?

He never goes for the corner.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 08:54 - Oct 10 with 2326 viewsswisscottage

For me he's improved leaps and bounds from the player who joined us last season, and is quickly becoming a key player for us and Scotland

Just waiting for Gazza to weigh in with is negative criticism, condescension and damming with faint praise re all things Dykes.
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 09:22 - Oct 10 with 2253 viewslondonscottish

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 18:20 - Oct 9 by QPR_Hibs

This is like watching QPR. Brilliant attacking play but a bit open at the back.

That whole game was QPR. Dog shit first half, sublime comeback and an ET winner.

Dykes must have felt right at home.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 09:26 - Oct 10 with 2244 viewseasthertsr

His header on the ground that lead to Chair's winner last week is my stand out Dykes moment! Gives everything on the pitch every game, just fantastic, key player for us, is unrecognisable from the player a year ago long may it continue.
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 09:28 - Oct 10 with 2238 viewsdavman

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 08:12 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Very small sample sizes, davman. The players you're talking about have only taken one or two penos each.

I think these things are also decided in training. Happy to trust the management on this.

Maybe, but even when he was scoring the pens, I've never liked his technique. A whack it hard and straight-is is not a confidence filler. Willock or Austin for me.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 09:29 - Oct 10 with 2229 viewsdavman

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 08:12 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Very small sample sizes, davman. The players you're talking about have only taken one or two penos each.

I think these things are also decided in training. Happy to trust the management on this.

Oh, and Bri, ignore that down arrow - fat fingers mate, sorry!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 09:52 - Oct 10 with 2168 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 08:54 - Oct 10 by swisscottage

For me he's improved leaps and bounds from the player who joined us last season, and is quickly becoming a key player for us and Scotland

Just waiting for Gazza to weigh in with is negative criticism, condescension and damming with faint praise re all things Dykes.

Only saw the highlights but lots to compare with how Dykes is performing for us:

The Very Good:

1) Movement on near post for goal
2) Movement on back post for late header
3) Chest down and outpacing Centre-Halves for shot
4) Leading the high line and bringing the game to Israel, credited with 2nd Half turnaround (and key to how we play)

The Not So Very Good:

1) Penalty, glad wasn't for us and has been coming
2) Late headed chance, a natural finisher like Austin goes back across the keeper, Dykes may not have Austin's instincts (very very few do) but his positional play has improved so much he will get enough chances to return a decent goal-count.

The Very Impressive:

1) After penalty miss, never hid + just seemed more determined - a trait much needed when playing 3 games per week
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 10:04 - Oct 10 with 2137 viewsgazza1

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 08:54 - Oct 10 by swisscottage

I have no interest in watching Scotland matches whatsoever so I only have two comments.....penalties should not be missed - simple....Shame Scotland got any points from the match.
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 10:09 - Oct 10 with 2135 viewsdmm

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 10:04 - Oct 10 by gazza1

I have no interest in watching Scotland matches whatsoever so I only have two comments.....penalties should not be missed - simple....Shame Scotland got any points from the match.

I understand you're not interested in watching Scotland, but your comment about Scotland gaining points is just Wind Up Merchant fayre that does not befit you, gazza.
Login to get fewer ads

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 11:05 - Oct 10 with 2049 viewsWestonsuperR

I’ve mentioned on here previously that he shouldn’t be our main pen taker, hits hit hard and fairly straight every time. Keeper’s do some research these days so an easy one to save.
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 11:21 - Oct 10 with 2025 viewsCiderwithRsie

This is a bit unfair, as I think he can be much better, but there's a touch of Devon White about Dykes. He can look clumsy but he's got great heart and he scores goals.

When I first read about him I said he could be a cult hero. He's not disappointed.
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 11:23 - Oct 10 with 2015 viewsCiderwithRsie

Incidentally, apart from Conor Washington, who I refuse to count, when was the last time we had player who was regularly playing and scoring at international level? Even Les was generally crowded out by Shearer. Maybe Colin Clarke?
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 11:42 - Oct 10 with 1977 viewsNewhopphoops

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 11:23 - Oct 10 by CiderwithRsie

Incidentally, apart from Conor Washington, who I refuse to count, when was the last time we had player who was regularly playing and scoring at international level? Even Les was generally crowded out by Shearer. Maybe Colin Clarke?

Heiðar Helguson? 12 in 55 for Iceland according to wikipedia (yes that's where the ð came from ).
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 11:49 - Oct 10 with 1963 viewsR_from_afar

Well, when you're head of FIFA, you'll be able to rename penalties as goals.

The penalty wasn't missed, it was saved, actually.

For balance, though, while I am here, thanks for limiting yourself to just the two acerbic comments.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 12:22 - Oct 10 with 1902 viewsgazza1

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 10:09 - Oct 10 by dmm

I understand you're not interested in watching Scotland, but your comment about Scotland gaining points is just Wind Up Merchant fayre that does not befit you, gazza.

I am serious in what I said DMM.......nothing to do with wind up at all.
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 12:28 - Oct 10 with 1894 viewsgazza1

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 11:49 - Oct 10 by R_from_afar

Well, when you're head of FIFA, you'll be able to rename penalties as goals.

The penalty wasn't missed, it was saved, actually.

For balance, though, while I am here, thanks for limiting yourself to just the two acerbic comments.

Why would I want to rename penalties.....just asking.

Missed or saved, same difference (as they say!!) as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for the thanks, appreciated!!!
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 13:24 - Oct 10 with 1839 viewslondonscottish

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 09:52 - Oct 10 by ParkRoyalR

Only saw the highlights but lots to compare with how Dykes is performing for us:

The Very Good:

4) Leading the high line and bringing the game to Israel, credited with 2nd Half turnaround (and key to how we play)

The Not So Very Good:

2) Late headed chance, a natural finisher like Austin goes back across the keeper, Dykes may not have Austin's instincts (very very few do) but his positional play has improved so much he will get enough chances to return a decent goal-count.

The Very Impressive:

1) After penalty miss, never hid + just seemed more determined - a trait much needed when playing 3 games per week

McCoist rarely digs out a player but he was really frustrated that Dykes didn't go low to the far post for that one.

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 13:27 - Oct 10 with 1823 viewslondonscottish

Get your facts right before spouting bollx. The penalty was saved, not missed.

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 13:45 - Oct 10 with 1757 viewsHantsR

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 13:24 - Oct 10 by londonscottish

McCoist rarely digs out a player but he was really frustrated that Dykes didn't go low to the far post for that one.

I think Dykes can be clever. He's publicly being told by everyone, including Ally McCoist not to hit it hard down the middle, so, goalkeepers, who do some research, will now be expecting him to go low right, as advised - but ... he'll whack it straight down the middle and score!
[Post edited 10 Oct 2021 13:48]
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 14:22 - Oct 10 with 1707 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 13:27 - Oct 10 by londonscottish

Only two types of penalties in my experience: ones that go in and ones that do not. Call the latter what you want, but you can't call them a goal.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 14:38 - Oct 10 with 1679 viewsgazza1

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 13:27 - Oct 10 by londonscottish

He didn't score that is the main thing .....and he might have well missed because it didn't hit the back of the net .

All that matters to me is that it doesn't affect his confidence when he plays at Fulham
[Post edited 10 Oct 2021 14:41]
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 14:47 - Oct 10 with 1661 viewsWatfordR

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 14:38 - Oct 10 by gazza1

He didn't score that is the main thing .....and he might have well missed because it didn't hit the back of the net .

All that matters to me is that it doesn't affect his confidence when he plays at Fulham

Wow....gazza in "Start Dykes at Fulham" shocker!!!
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 15:05 - Oct 10 with 1638 viewsgazza1

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 14:47 - Oct 10 by WatfordR

Wow....gazza in "Start Dykes at Fulham" shocker!!!

In form for the R's currently, playing better than the other two so I expect him to start.

I'm a fair and honest man Watford.
Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 15:43 - Oct 10 with 1578 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 09:29 - Oct 10 by davman

Oh, and Bri, ignore that down arrow - fat fingers mate, sorry!

No hassle, dav!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 15:55 - Oct 10 with 1553 viewsjohncharles

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 14:38 - Oct 10 by gazza1

Give some credit to the goalie who saved it. Decided to stick to the middle and held his nerve.
It was a poor penalty but it was not a miss.

Strong and stable my arse.

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 21:22 - Oct 10 with 1361 viewsnix

Dykes has just missed a pen for Scotland on 09:52 - Oct 10 by ParkRoyalR

The Very Good:

The Not So Very Good:

The Very Impressive:

Agree with all of this and fair and balanced review. Just one more on the not so good, was that I think he was the player that didn't hold the line for the Israeli second goal, playing them all onside.

I agree though, that he keeps getting in good positions, which means he'll score. He needs to know some of the strikers tricks, which I'm sure he will do as he's already improved for us and let's face it, it's another step up for international level. I'd like to see a few more of our players shoot across the keeper at times, they often shoot near post, which can bring the keeper more into play.

But scoring in three out or three of the last World Cup qualifiers is pretty good for any player.

As for McCoist, I thought he'd been a bit harsh on Lyndon all the way through. He seemed to dig him out more for his reasonable headed effort than the far more experienced (at Championship/Premier and International level) John McGinn's poor effort when in an excellent shooting position.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024