Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can we have the ref, 17:44 - Oct 10 with 2300 viewsPinnerPaul

that gave NI player a 2nd yellow card in the 35th minute for taking too long with a throw in (23 seconds), the next time we play PNE?
Can we have the ref, on 18:25 - Oct 10 with 2217 viewsCamberleyR

The game would have to be abandoned as they'd be down to six players in no time...

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Can we have the ref, on 19:55 - Oct 10 with 2093 viewsbosh67

Yes although the kid that got sent off was as daft as a brush I didn't understand why the ref simply didn't blow his whistle after 10 seconds and just tell him to get on with it. The only other conspiracy thing that crossed my mind was why did he actually take that long to even try to through the ball? Was he banking on getting the red as part of a mass underworld betting syndication bet?.... Or is he just not that bright?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Can we have the ref, on 20:00 - Oct 10 with 2085 viewsNorthernr

Do that for three weeks, problem goes away.
Can we have the ref, on 20:48 - Oct 10 with 1996 viewsmcqpr10

Would absolutely love if refs started doing it in the championship. Can't stand the amount of time wasted by teams when in front-including us. Either book them all or add a minute for every time the ref deems they are wasting time.
Can we have the ref, on 20:50 - Oct 10 with 1989 viewsdavman

Can we have the ref, on 20:48 - Oct 10 by mcqpr10

Would absolutely love if refs started doing it in the championship. Can't stand the amount of time wasted by teams when in front-including us. Either book them all or add a minute for every time the ref deems they are wasting time.

Just stop the clock when the ball is out...

Every opportunity, I'll just roll that out!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Can we have the ref, on 21:25 - Oct 10 with 1938 viewsnix

Can we have the ref, on 20:50 - Oct 10 by davman

Yes but it's not just about the time, it's the breaking the rhythm up, which is just as much the reason teams do it as running the clock down. Always happens from other team when we have the momentum.
Can we have the ref, on 21:53 - Oct 10 with 1905 viewsdavman

Can we have the ref, on 21:25 - Oct 10 by nix

Yes but it's not just about the time, it's the breaking the rhythm up, which is just as much the reason teams do it as running the clock down. Always happens from other team when we have the momentum.

True, but one step at a time...

Could even add a clock to get the ball back into play (but even I think that'd be a step too far).

Bottom line is that the responsibility for player safety is paramount and they all know that - hence not moving when "injured" until the ref blows. Not a lot anyone can do if Maguire walks off with his "dodgy shoulder" at 1mph and turns round at the touchline to sprint back on at 8mph.

There should be a "common sense" rule, which refs should use to see if someone is taking the piss. If they are, book 'em.

Not easy , but as Clive will always say, there's a perfectly adequate law against this; just bloody well enforce it!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Can we have the ref, on 09:42 - Oct 11 with 1631 viewsStanisgod

Can we have the ref, on 20:48 - Oct 10 by mcqpr10

Unfortunately that doesnt always work as the offending team often scores in the added on time.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Login to get fewer ads

Can we have the ref, on 12:21 - Oct 11 with 1532 viewsPinnerPaul

Interesting response.

I honestly thought most would call the ref stupid for issuing a 2nd yellow after 35 mins for delaying the restart.

General ref view on Refchat was that it was odd that no warning issued - even allowing for a possible language difficulty, doesn't even seem to try to hurry him up on the clip I saw.

Another thought was that ref didn't realise it was his 2nd yellow until too late to change his mind.

Apparently though, even though only the 35th minute NI had been on go slow already in the half?????!!!!
Can we have the ref, on 13:34 - Oct 11 with 1489 viewsMatch82

Can we have the ref, on 20:50 - Oct 10 by davman

You might miss your train home for those mid week games!
https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/var-premier-league-stop-clock-132838
Can we have the ref, on 13:35 - Oct 11 with 1485 viewsNorthernr

Can we have the ref, on 12:21 - Oct 11 by PinnerPaul

Interesting response.

I honestly thought most would call the ref stupid for issuing a 2nd yellow after 35 mins for delaying the restart.

General ref view on Refchat was that it was odd that no warning issued - even allowing for a possible language difficulty, doesn't even seem to try to hurry him up on the clip I saw.

Another thought was that ref didn't realise it was his 2nd yellow until too late to change his mind.

Apparently though, even though only the 35th minute NI had been on go slow already in the half?????!!!!

I didn't watch but heard they'd had a warning for it after just ten minutes. V Championship that.
Can we have the ref, on 14:51 - Oct 11 with 1415 viewsPinnerPaul

Mr Barraclough's reaction

"I think it is a diabolical decision. The referee has not realised he booked him earlier on," said Baraclough.

"The first time he has asked him to hurry up, he brings out a red card."

He added: "I think he has forgotten he hasn't spoken to Jamal once. He realises he has booked him and he can't go back on his decision."

"He has not given Jamal any warning so he has no clue he's on a warning. There was certainly no warnings of people getting booked or something would be done about it if we don't hurry up," said Baraclough.

"If there's not a throw on for him, he isn't just going to throw it to a Switzerland player, is he? Was he time-wasting? I think he was looking for an option to throw it to."

"It's ruined the game. The lads out there have given absolutely everything. We tried to get to half-time to reorganise and they have scored with the last kick of the first half which makes it a totally different game," added Baraclough.

"I didn't get to speak to them [the officials] because they don't want to listen. There was no conversation going on and there is no talking.

"You want an explanation, they knew they had made a mistake.

Co - Commentator "That's a horrendous decision. The referee has to understand the context. You have to send someone off for something serious"

I echo Clive's thought, but clearly its not what 'football expects'

I strongly suspect that FIFA had a word with this referee and that we won't be seeing him in Qatar.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2021 14:52]
Can we have the ref, on 15:29 - Oct 11 with 1366 viewsTheChef

Can we have the ref, on 14:51 - Oct 11 by PinnerPaul

Mr Barraclough's reaction

"I think it is a diabolical decision. The referee has not realised he booked him earlier on," said Baraclough.

"The first time he has asked him to hurry up, he brings out a red card."

He added: "I think he has forgotten he hasn't spoken to Jamal once. He realises he has booked him and he can't go back on his decision."

"He has not given Jamal any warning so he has no clue he's on a warning. There was certainly no warnings of people getting booked or something would be done about it if we don't hurry up," said Baraclough.

"If there's not a throw on for him, he isn't just going to throw it to a Switzerland player, is he? Was he time-wasting? I think he was looking for an option to throw it to."

"It's ruined the game. The lads out there have given absolutely everything. We tried to get to half-time to reorganise and they have scored with the last kick of the first half which makes it a totally different game," added Baraclough.

"I didn't get to speak to them [the officials] because they don't want to listen. There was no conversation going on and there is no talking.

"You want an explanation, they knew they had made a mistake.

Co - Commentator "That's a horrendous decision. The referee has to understand the context. You have to send someone off for something serious"

I echo Clive's thought, but clearly its not what 'football expects'

I strongly suspect that FIFA had a word with this referee and that we won't be seeing him in Qatar.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2021 14:52]

Seems the ref knew what he was doing as he went straight for his red card - wasn't as if he forgot or had an 'oh sh1t' moment.

What was the first yellow card for?

Poor old Bara (totally passed me by that he is now NI manager).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Can we have the ref, on 15:50 - Oct 11 with 1334 viewskensalriser

Rarely seen a player who deserved more to be sent off for utter stupidity. The yellow for forgetting he wasn't competing in a wrestling bout was ridiculous and he should have been a lot more careful after that.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Can we have the ref, on 16:53 - Oct 11 with 1279 viewsJuzzie

it does annoy me that a player can do a Sergio Ramon-esque style tackle and get a yellow but stay on the pitch as it just isn't quite a red but a player can get sent off for two innocuous (however annoying & shouldn't happen) incidents.

I don't want to complicate things further but as the rules seem to be being meddled with on a grand scale each year I'll wade in.....

Straight red's aside there should be the introduction of an orange card.

- a yellow card is worth 1 point (all the non contact stuff... kicking the ball away, time wasting, back-chatting the ref and so on and maybe the light contact stuff like body-checking for a foul or bringing a player down etc i.e. nothing malicious but not in the spirit of the game)

- a Sergio Ramos-esque tackle or a Chiellini type stunt on Saka is an orange card that carries 2 points.

Any combination of the above that hits 3 points or more and you are sent off.

The ref has enough to do so needs the aid of the extra officials to keep score and as they are all miked up someone can let him know if that 3 point limit has been met.

Or... carry on as now and just keep dishing out yellows until the players get the fkin' message.

As said, if a player is clearly 'struggling' to get off the pitch but then after a splash of the magic sponge bounds back on like a young gazelle then book the fukker. If they try and get around that by gingerly coming back onto the pitch then hope the ref doesn't notice when they're in full sprint just a minute later then we again need the aid of the pitch side officials to watch them then tell the ref if they think they've pulled a fast one.

The ref has an impossible job to do and can't keep an eye on and a track of all the players all the time which is why the players have been pulling these tricks for so long.
if it can't be dealt with during the game then you have to start looking at post match videos and retrospectively banning players but that doesn't help the opposition who might have lost a game due to a player(s) being on the pitch when they shouldn't have and all it does is benefit a future opponent who had nothing to do with it so the emphasis has to be getting it right on the day.

[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 12:27]
Can we have the ref, on 17:18 - Oct 11 with 1225 viewsdaveB

It looked like he didn't realise he had already booked him, seemed a right cock up
Can we have the ref, on 17:32 - Oct 11 with 1199 viewsJuzzie

Can we have the ref, on 17:18 - Oct 11 by daveB

It looked like he didn't realise he had already booked him, seemed a right cock up

I didn't see it myself but were both incidents worthy of a yellow?

if they were I don't see the problem. I don't subscribe to the its-just-in-the-early-part-of-the-game-so-I'll-let them-off stuff. A booking is a booking.
Can we have the ref, on 17:52 - Oct 11 with 1167 viewsPinnerPaul

Can we have the ref, on 17:18 - Oct 11 by daveB

Hardly a cock up to give a player two fully deserved yellows.

The problem, as Clive has said, is that it has gone on for so long.

2 yellows in the first half IS unusual, but not wrong!

Similar to when Nick London got annoyed when Luke Amos got a yellow v PNE.

His grounds for complaint were

a) He had only come on as a sub and
b) It was his first offence

Can we have the ref, on 10:22 - Oct 12 with 980 viewsTheChef

To be honest it was a bit thick from the player, if he remembers he's already had one yellow then he needs to ensure he doesn't do anything to get a second one! Taking ages over a throw isn't going to help his cause.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024