Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armenian Women 19:48 - Nov 25 with 2492 viewsPlanetHonneywood

…11-0 to Belgium Women after 39 minutes.

Not sure what you say to the keeper, but the manager has one hell of a halftime team talk to give!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Armenian Women on 19:58 - Nov 25 with 2443 viewsMick_S

Skybet giving evens on the draw. Lump on.

Bircham new manager 1/4.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2021 20:00]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Armenian Women on 20:21 - Nov 25 with 2384 viewsBeckenhamhoop

On the subject of women’s football (can of worms picked up) I think it gets a disproportionately massive amount of coverage compared to the level of actual interest around the country (can of worms opened).
Armenian Women on 21:30 - Nov 25 with 2267 viewsstowmarketrange

Armenian Women on 20:21 - Nov 25 by Beckenhamhoop

On the subject of women’s football (can of worms picked up) I think it gets a disproportionately massive amount of coverage compared to the level of actual interest around the country (can of worms opened).

I think we had this can of worms opened last week.
Armenian Women on 21:53 - Nov 25 with 2217 viewsMrSheen

Does keeping the full time score to 19-0 count as a success?
Armenian Women on 22:00 - Nov 25 with 2205 viewsLogman

Would giving them the hair dryer treatment be deemed as sexist ?
Armenian Women on 23:30 - Nov 25 with 2089 viewsSydneyRs

Armenian Women on 20:21 - Nov 25 by Beckenhamhoop

Indeed. The standard to be fair has come on leaps and bounds in recent years and the top teams are good to watch.

However, there's a massive amount of overcompensation going on in the media right now in terms of pushing equality. Nothing wrong with that per se and long overdue in certain areas, but in sport there's a push towards giving it the same coverage as men's sport when the standard and interest just isn't there. A bit like showing non league football alongside the premiership games. One has a huge global audience that wants to watch it, and top players, the other has little interest outside the fans of those teams and people used to watching high level sport would struggle watching that level.

Ultimately, sport is entertainment and the top, most popular entertainers get top billing and the most money. That's just how it works. Forcing the issue I don't think is the right way to go. There are female global stars in sports such as tennis, athletics etc so it can be done. But the focus should be on raising standards so that the audience will come. Its never going to be as lucrative as the men's game, but it doesn't have to be for players still to make a decent living doing it.
Armenian Women on 12:07 - Nov 26 with 1810 viewsMrSheen

Northern Ireland's women won the Northern derby 11-0 in Macedonia yesterday. You can see the highlights here.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59381707
3 things are clear.
1) Northern Ireland play some very good football, Warburtonesque, even.
2) The Macedonians don't.
3) Kirsty McGuinness - synth-pop's loss is football's gain.
Armenian Women on 12:34 - Nov 26 with 1770 viewsPinnerPaul

I did two 'boys' - 16 - 18 year old "Academy College" games - teams funded by the professional club, who's colours they play in, but not connected.

Anyway 1st match = 12-1, 2nd match = 17-1
Login to get fewer ads

Armenian Women on 12:35 - Nov 26 with 1771 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Armenian Women on 12:07 - Nov 26 by MrSheen

Northern Ireland's women won the Northern derby 11-0 in Macedonia yesterday. You can see the highlights here.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59381707
3 things are clear.
1) Northern Ireland play some very good football, Warburtonesque, even.
2) The Macedonians don't.
3) Kirsty McGuinness - synth-pop's loss is football's gain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirsty_McGuinness

McGuinness has an interesting CV. Real progress in the North when a Celtic fan can wear an Antrim GAA shirt while training for Linfield.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Armenian Women on 12:51 - Nov 26 with 1755 viewsMrSheen

Armenian Women on 12:35 - Nov 26 by BrianMcCarthy

McGuinness has an interesting CV. Real progress in the North when a Celtic fan can wear an Antrim GAA shirt while training for Linfield.

Yes, I saw she was a county footballer.
Armenian Women on 13:21 - Nov 26 with 1724 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Armenian Women on 12:51 - Nov 26 by MrSheen

Yes, I saw she was a county footballer.

First time I've heard of her. Must try and find out more.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Armenian Women on 13:32 - Nov 26 with 1695 viewsMrSheen

Armenian Women on 13:21 - Nov 26 by BrianMcCarthy

First time I've heard of her. Must try and find out more.

Amazing pic...never, ever seen a Louth jersey before!

Armenian Women on 13:45 - Nov 26 with 1675 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I quite enjoy watching the England women’s team; some bloody good players there.

However, to the point raised about coverage: while I agree the BBC ate hyping it up, I suspect that’s as much to do with the fact they have eff all live sport to show these days, as it is gender equality. To me it seems if they’ve latched on to it like it’a gold.

Secondly, while coverage can act as encouragement, the fact is if women want the women’s game to take off, they need to go. I was watching the season opener of (Wo)Man City at Everton and the crowd was paltry. I suspect more women would go to see the corresponding men’s game than they do to see then women’s equivalent.

You’ve got to start somewhere, so good luck to them.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Armenian Women on 14:17 - Nov 26 with 1634 viewsR_from_afar

A big company I used to work at had a 7 aside tournament and my fellow marketing bod said he would put together a team. It got to the day when the teams had to submitted and he hadn't sorted it out so I scraped together a ragtag team. Some were in their 40s but hadn't played since school.

The tournament was really slickly organised, with independent refs and Peter Shilton presenting the cup to the winners. We had something like 11% of the whole company playing, there were 100s of teams, but I mention all this because we got battered!

I forget all the details - just as well really - but in that first tournament, I think we conceded over 30 goals in just three games and scored absolutely none. Man alive, we were awful. I can remember an opposition player scything through one of our players and drawing blood, with me commenting: "Come on mate, we're crap, you don't need to rough us up!". Our chances of scoring were so minimal that I took a shot from the kick-off in one game (and missed).

Midway through our 14-0 defeat, the opposition's 'keeper was lying down on his stomach in the middle of their half, head propped up on hands, surveying the carnage occuring around our goalmouth.

Some months after the tournament ended, one of the organisers contacted me and said they had had a set of crystal glasses engraved as part of the "least goals conceded" award but there had been a mix-up and the glasses had turned up with the motto "least goals scored" instead. Would my team like them, he said? You bet!

Our team's name: Comb-over Rovers

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Armenian Women on 15:24 - Nov 26 with 1568 viewsNewBee

"McGuinness has an interesting CV. Real progress in the North when a Celtic fan can wear an Antrim GAA shirt while training for Linfield."

Old news. It's nearly two decades since eg Linfield offered the use of their facilities to a local camogie team which was in a fix:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ulster-s-true-blue-linfield-come-to-the-aid-of-s

And while I have no time for that club myself, they've had Catholics playing for them for years now, including as Captain; also behind the scenes eg Dubliner Pat "Billy" Fenlon is their very popular General Manager.

As for the below reference in K McG's wiki page:
"She is among a small number of sportswomen who have played association football for Northern Ireland and GAA for Antrim. This differed from men's sport where there are traditionally sectarian divides between the historically majority Protestant association football and historically majority Roman Catholic GAA, which is no longer commonplace in women's sport in Northern Ireland."

I have to say this is garbage. Mens' "soccer" has always been played widely in both communities in every part of NI. Some teams are pretty much exclusively Protestant or Catholic (depending primarily on location), but many more are entirely mixed. All play in fully integrated leagues and cups etc, at every level from schoolboy to Irish League. And at the highest level, the NI senior team has long since relied on dual code players or managers like Peter Doherty, Peter McParland, Pat Jennings, Martin O'Neill, Gerry Armstrong, Michael O'Neill and Niall McGinn etc. The IFA is also entirely integrated at all levels.

Meanwhile, as womens and girls football has grown recently, they too are entirely mixed, all the more so since they don't carry the same historical "baggage" as in the mens game. As a result, eg Derry City Ladies are members of the IFA (not FAI), playing in the NI Womens League. While Marissa Callaghan, captain of the senior NI womens' team, is a GAA-playing Catholic from the Falls Road, who plays her soccer for Cliftonville, with a day job working for the IFA as a Development Officer. (She's also openly and proudly gay, as are some of her teammates, not that that should have any bearing)

On the other hand, Protestants playing GAA sports in NI are as scarce as hens' teeth - it hardly ever happens, at any level.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2021 15:37]
Armenian Women on 15:38 - Nov 26 with 1549 viewsBklynRanger

Thought that myself I must admit.

What synth popping has she done Sheen? There's an NI artist who does a nice synthy poppy song where she's doing some kind of tailoring in the video, but this sports all-rounder looks too young to be her and I can't remember that woman's friggin name anyway. She did a handful of things about 6years ago.
Armenian Women on 15:54 - Nov 26 with 1531 viewsMrSheen

Armenian Women on 15:38 - Nov 26 by BklynRanger

Thought that myself I must admit.

What synth popping has she done Sheen? There's an NI artist who does a nice synthy poppy song where she's doing some kind of tailoring in the video, but this sports all-rounder looks too young to be her and I can't remember that woman's friggin name anyway. She did a handful of things about 6years ago.

Sorry, flippant comment based on her looks rather than her oeuvre. Apologies for the futile brain-wracking!
Armenian Women on 15:57 - Nov 26 with 1526 viewsBklynRanger

Armenian Women on 15:54 - Nov 26 by MrSheen

Sorry, flippant comment based on her looks rather than her oeuvre. Apologies for the futile brain-wracking!

Ah right! I'll go back to the other brain wrackings.
Armenian Women on 15:31 - Nov 30 with 1223 viewsMrSheen

Armenia's home game with Norway abandoned due to bad weather with 21 minutes to play, at 0-9. Only fair to make them play it again, must be six flights a day from Oslo to Yerevan.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 15:33]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024