Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread 07:16 - Dec 5 with 25081 viewsnix

Yeah, cos it's tradition, I'm continuing the matchday thread, but with no small measure of trepidation, despite my natural happy clappiness.

I'd feel a bit more confident without our increasing injury list. We're a plastic icebag on Charlie's knee from having to potentially recall a 19 year old from Torquay to join the match day squad as reserve striker. We're going through wingbacks at a careless rate.

And yet this squad (who are so lovely and are so brilliantly the right sort their wives are getting together to raise money for sick children plus our Tiger Cubs, (please donate here and support them if you can https://trustdraw.qpr.co.uk/))just deserve a bit more luck and to continue where they started the weekend fixtures in third. I'm going for a 2-1 win to the Rs, with Willock 🔥 and Chair sharing the spoils.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 18:50 - Dec 5 with 1939 viewsnix

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 18:36 - Dec 5 by DieByYourSide

One of those days.

You sensed it wouldn’t be straightforward when the line up was announced. We were on top til they scored, but we didn’t respond to the setback very well. Not sure why they even bothered bringing down Barbet for the penalty as they dealt with our 17 corners with minimum of fuss.

If Charlie scores it’s a different game and we may go on to win, but as it was deservedly beaten.

Willock/Chair couldn’t get us out of jail and their keeper/backline played very well. Today exposed us a bit when you take one or two out of the team we don’t look the same side - certainly not got the strength in depth to compete for top 2, but really we knew that deep down.

A good advert for January loanees, another full back and a pacey attacking mid option to ease the burden on Chris and Ilias. Still think we have enough to make Top 6, but need to keep an eye on Boro and Sheff Utd.

COYRs

The thing is we were on our third choice wingbacks today, with one of them having hardly played this season and completely out of position. Since we're quite dependent on our wingbacks to break down teams that play in two ranks of four, we're affected quite significantly by players who don't really drive and/or aren't great crossers of the ball.

We would usually start with the much more mobile Dykes. We missed him holding the ball up, and providing those little link balls around the penalty area that can unlock defences.

Apart from that we were generally a bit below par against a very organised Stoke side. Hopefully we won't be seen as the team to beat for a while.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 19:37 - Dec 5 with 1758 viewsSonofpugwash

Not at all worried,just a bad day at the office is all.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 19:42 - Dec 5 with 1756 viewsthemodfather

poor pen, but their goalie played well, they defended and broke well, broke down our play but we hit a post and had many chances , a decent game between 2 teams chasing p/offs spots. then again dieng made a few top saves . don't think i need to panic, we are exceeding my expectations and it is an enjoyable season so far.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 20:14 - Dec 5 with 1669 viewsRangers67

Barbets distribution today very poor. Kakay played well . Charlie’s pen pathetic. Stoke a decent team but no better than us overall. Two poor defensive mistakes cost us. First one down to Dozell losing possession cheaply trying to be to clever. Second one no one bothered to challenge he scorer. Warburton made a couple of tactical mistakes and we paid the price. Onwards and hopefully upwards.oh and lastly a matter class in shithousery by Stoke bought hook line and sinker by the ref
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 20:18 - Dec 5 with 1650 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 16:42 - Dec 5 by qprd

Agree with this completely

Today was not the day for wingbacks but I wouldn’t do away with the system when the first choice wingbacks are available

I agree but today ALL the wingbacks were missing, not just the first choice. In this instance, change the system.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 21:06 - Dec 5 with 1570 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 20:18 - Dec 5 by Benny_the_Ball

I agree but today ALL the wingbacks were missing, not just the first choice. In this instance, change the system.

"Change the system"

I did think that today but not sure we have the players. We created enough chances to draw or win but it didn't quite happen.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 22:00 - Dec 5 with 1466 viewsLythamR

The wingback formation with third choice wing back options was still good enough to create a whole bunch of chances and corner against a well organised stoke team

we were not great today but we still could have won the game at a canter if we have taken chances and ot sockingly squandered a penalty

if i had been offered 9 points from this 4 game run i would have been over the moon.

the longer the scoring run went on the more likely it was that we would have a day like today.

Rest, recuperate and go again
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 23:00 - Dec 5 with 1355 viewsNorthantsHoop

Once penalty was saved thought it was not going to be our day. We have been pretty solid since the last defeat at Peterborough, injuries forcing wing back changes especially Field on the left didn't work. But hey ho we are still in a good position and 9 points out of last 4 games pretty good.
Login to get fewer ads

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 03:26 - Dec 6 with 1210 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 21:06 - Dec 5 by CliveWilsonSaid

"Change the system"

I did think that today but not sure we have the players. We created enough chances to draw or win but it didn't quite happen.

It depends how you look at it. Conversely, Stoke scored 2 and had good chances to score more.

We certainly did not have the players to stick with the wingback system so a change in formation would have been a sensible decision.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 10:56 - Dec 6 with 1038 viewsRs_Holy

Clive mentioned it ... Its that bloody Fans Forum fault again... Everything is always hunky dory at every Fans Forum but immediately afterwards it all goes to rat sh*t! I'm sensing a 4 match losing streak culminating in a 6-0 defeat to Bournemouth :(
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 15:16 - Dec 6 with 923 viewsPinnerPaul

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 16:07 - Dec 5 by qprd

cant expect chair and willock to play 90 mins every single match... we got burnt by running wallace and adomah into the ground and paid the price

throw in the towel and get one of those two of the pitch

Wallace played 2 games - come on!
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 15:21 - Dec 6 with 914 viewsNorthernr

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 10:56 - Dec 6 by Rs_Holy

Clive mentioned it ... Its that bloody Fans Forum fault again... Everything is always hunky dory at every Fans Forum but immediately afterwards it all goes to rat sh*t! I'm sensing a 4 match losing streak culminating in a 6-0 defeat to Bournemouth :(

It is very strange how that keeps happening.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 15:22 - Dec 6 with 910 viewsPinnerPaul

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 16:36 - Dec 5 by MedwayR

Which all suggests we should now drop the wingback system doesn't it?

Because we have injuries and lost a game?

Its worked fine (in the main) for 11 months.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 15:40 - Dec 6 with 884 viewsPinnerPaul

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:48 - Dec 5 by ParkRoyalR

I feel it's like playing with 10 men.

No coincidence our attack improved with his substitution.

Gray + Thomas showed him how to run the channels and find space to receive the ball in + around the box.

Never been a good penalty taker but its the lack of effort I find unacceptable. For me he's a last 20 minute player now at best if we're chasing a goal.

Warbs said he had scored his last 15!

Presume he means league pens unless Warbs has deleted Sunderland from his mind!

Others have also said arrogant, well placed but under hit doesn't = arrogant to me!
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 15:53 - Dec 6 with 870 viewsTheChef

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 10:56 - Dec 6 by Rs_Holy

They really should run these at the end of the season.

To be honest wouldn't that be better any way in terms of club officials' availability?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 16:39 - Dec 6 with 814 viewskensalriser

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 15:40 - Dec 6 by PinnerPaul

Warbs said he had scored his last 15!

Presume he means league pens unless Warbs has deleted Sunderland from his mind!

Others have also said arrogant, well placed but under hit doesn't = arrogant to me!

It was just plain poor, probably the worst I've ever seen in the flesh. But arrogant seems a very odd descriptor, I don't get that at all.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 16:41 - Dec 6 with 809 viewsPinnerPaul

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 16:39 - Dec 6 by kensalriser

It was just plain poor, probably the worst I've ever seen in the flesh. But arrogant seems a very odd descriptor, I don't get that at all.

You weren't at the Sunderland game then - now they WERE poor!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024