Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread 07:16 - Dec 5 with 25271 viewsnix

Yeah, cos it's tradition, I'm continuing the matchday thread, but with no small measure of trepidation, despite my natural happy clappiness.

I'd feel a bit more confident without our increasing injury list. We're a plastic icebag on Charlie's knee from having to potentially recall a 19 year old from Torquay to join the match day squad as reserve striker. We're going through wingbacks at a careless rate.

And yet this squad (who are so lovely and are so brilliantly the right sort their wives are getting together to raise money for sick children plus our Tiger Cubs, (please donate here and support them if you can https://trustdraw.qpr.co.uk/))just deserve a bit more luck and to continue where they started the weekend fixtures in third. I'm going for a 2-1 win to the Rs, with Willock 🔥 and Chair sharing the spoils.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 16:58 - Dec 5 with 1809 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Awful weather, awful performance. I thought they had loads of injuries. We played like Wenger's Arsenal against old skool Stoke. Hopefully Amos gets a start now because he actually put in some challenges when he came on. Midfield were non-existent and Dozzell gave them their opener. And why oh why did Charlie try and place his pen? Terry Fenwick the highlight of the day.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 16:59]
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 16:58 - Dec 5 with 1812 viewsEmpireStateRanger

I’ll add one more thing: I was sort of hoping Willock or Chair would have taken the ball when we had the pen. Was feeling oddly pessimistic with Chaz up there.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 16:59 - Dec 5 with 1809 viewsqprphil

I didn't know what to make of that, I thought Stoke were awful and were for the taking. We created enough today to win the game. Today it didn't happen, so on to the next game.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:04 - Dec 5 with 1741 viewsStreathamRanger

Disagree that Stoke were awful. They may not have the skillful players like Chair and Willock but they were disciplined, worked bloody hard and took their chances well. When we were attacking they always had plenty of men back and although we had lots of shots it never felt like we threatened for any long periods unlike at Derby where I thought we were the better team from start to finish.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:07 - Dec 5 with 1701 viewstraininvain

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:04 - Dec 5 by StreathamRanger

Disagree that Stoke were awful. They may not have the skillful players like Chair and Willock but they were disciplined, worked bloody hard and took their chances well. When we were attacking they always had plenty of men back and although we had lots of shots it never felt like we threatened for any long periods unlike at Derby where I thought we were the better team from start to finish.

Agreed. I could see us meeting Stoke in the playoffs if we finish top 6. They looked strong in centre mid and gave us plenty to worry about on the break.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:11 - Dec 5 with 1655 viewsted_hendrix

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 16:59 - Dec 5 by qprphil

I didn't know what to make of that, I thought Stoke were awful and were for the taking. We created enough today to win the game. Today it didn't happen, so on to the next game.

Wouldn't say Stoke were awful.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:11 - Dec 5 with 1649 viewsStreathamRanger

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:07 - Dec 5 by traininvain

Agreed. I could see us meeting Stoke in the playoffs if we finish top 6. They looked strong in centre mid and gave us plenty to worry about on the break.

I'd like to think we'd give them a lot more to worry about with a fit Wallace, Adomah and Dykes in the team.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:19 - Dec 5 with 1587 viewsEmpireStateRanger

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:11 - Dec 5 by StreathamRanger

I'd like to think we'd give them a lot more to worry about with a fit Wallace, Adomah and Dykes in the team.

That goes both ways too, though. Weren’t they missing key players?
Login to get fewer ads

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:22 - Dec 5 with 1558 viewsdistortR

if we have to play the blame game, I nominate Nix.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:25 - Dec 5 with 1532 viewsstevec

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 15:52 - Dec 5 by BrianMcCarthy

If the keeper had dived the other way, he could've got up and then dived the right way and he'd still get there in time.

At the ground it actually felt like the keeper was laying on the ground thinking ‘is this shot ever going to reach me’.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:25 - Dec 5 with 1527 viewsBoston

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:22 - Dec 5 by distortR

if we have to play the blame game, I nominate Nix.

Personally, I think her brief moment of leadership went to her head.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:29 - Dec 5 with 1502 viewsStreathamRanger

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:19 - Dec 5 by EmpireStateRanger

That goes both ways too, though. Weren’t they missing key players?

True. Perhaps it would be a better game all round. We're usually so devastating down the left yet today there was almost nothing coming down that side. Albert always has a few tricks up his sleeve down the right as well. Maybe Stoke allowed us more space down the right knowing we carried little threat out there. If so it was a good tactic.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:35 - Dec 5 with 1445 viewsStanisgod

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 16:58 - Dec 5 by EmpireStateRanger

I’ll add one more thing: I was sort of hoping Willock or Chair would have taken the ball when we had the pen. Was feeling oddly pessimistic with Chaz up there.

Said before he took it, he'll miss the way hes playing.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:41 - Dec 5 with 1420 viewsCamberleyR

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 16:31 - Dec 5 by strikerace

Worst we've played this season. Maybe we need a break?

Sorry, that's nonsense.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:43 - Dec 5 with 1398 viewspaulparker

Frustrating to say the least
Footballing wise we were better than them but they were bigger and stronger than us especially at the back and in the middle of the park , every corner or free kick they cleared with ease could of done with field along side SJ today as I think it would of added some steel
Saying that score the pen and I think we would of won

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:44 - Dec 5 with 1388 viewsNed_Kennedys

Poor performance overall today, thought Willock in particular was not involved enough and ineffective. Definitely would’ve changed the formation today: we had no fit wing backs so why try to shoehorn in players out of position?
Charlie's Penalty was truly gash but Stoke were hardly rock solid at the back today and Warburton should’ve had the bollocks to leave him on and played him with Gray and gone for it.
Thought Thomas was our MOTM along with Seny: rest of them were all below par today.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:48 - Dec 5 with 1356 viewsParkRoyalR

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 15:55 - Dec 5 by BrianMcCarthy

No question mark about it.

Austin is probably the weakest player on either side today.

I feel it's like playing with 10 men.

No coincidence our attack improved with his substitution.

Gray + Thomas showed him how to run the channels and find space to receive the ball in + around the box.

Never been a good penalty taker but its the lack of effort I find unacceptable. For me he's a last 20 minute player now at best if we're chasing a goal.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:56 - Dec 5 with 1287 viewstraininvain

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:44 - Dec 5 by Ned_Kennedys

Poor performance overall today, thought Willock in particular was not involved enough and ineffective. Definitely would’ve changed the formation today: we had no fit wing backs so why try to shoehorn in players out of position?
Charlie's Penalty was truly gash but Stoke were hardly rock solid at the back today and Warburton should’ve had the bollocks to leave him on and played him with Gray and gone for it.
Thought Thomas was our MOTM along with Seny: rest of them were all below par today.

I thought Willock was a persistent threat today and on another day (perhaps with Dykes on the pitch) would’ve had a couple of assists to his name with some very good deliveries into the box.

I was a bit disappointed with Chair today as he didn’t seem to get into the game whereas all our good attacking play went through Willock.

Thomas was on the pitch for all of 10 minute and didn’t really do much (not his fault, it was only 10 minutes) so I can only assume your motm shout was a bit tongue in cheek!
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 18:00]
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:57 - Dec 5 with 1292 viewsdenhamhoop2

Think Warbs got the formation wrong today with the players available cried out for 4 5 1 with Barbet as LB but a well drilled Stoke team countered well and deserved their win.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 18:00 - Dec 5 with 1276 viewsStreathamRanger

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:56 - Dec 5 by traininvain

I thought Willock was a persistent threat today and on another day (perhaps with Dykes on the pitch) would’ve had a couple of assists to his name with some very good deliveries into the box.

I was a bit disappointed with Chair today as he didn’t seem to get into the game whereas all our good attacking play went through Willock.

Thomas was on the pitch for all of 10 minute and didn’t really do much (not his fault, it was only 10 minutes) so I can only assume your motm shout was a bit tongue in cheek!

You cannot understate the importance of Wallace down that left flank. When he plays Chair and Willock both play better as he stretches the opposing full back/wing back creating space for Chair and Willock to work their magic. Field didn't really know how to do that today which is understandable given its his first game at wing back. I'd say that wing back position is one of the hardest to master. Wallace is the best at it but you can see how Adomah has really got the hang of it after being a bit ropey the first couple of games played there. You have to be a very intelligent player to get it right and be fit as a fiddle.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 18:15 - Dec 5 with 1196 viewsSimplyNico

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:56 - Dec 5 by traininvain

"Thomas was on the pitch for all of 10 minute and didn’t really do much (not his fault, it was only 10 minutes) so I can only assume your motm shout was a bit tongue in cheek!"

One thae one hand, he got in to four scoring positions in that time. On the other, he didn't look like scoring.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 18:36 - Dec 5 with 1111 viewsDieByYourSide

One of those days.

You sensed it wouldn’t be straightforward when the line up was announced. We were on top til they scored, but we didn’t respond to the setback very well. Not sure why they even bothered bringing down Barbet for the penalty as they dealt with our 17 corners with minimum of fuss.

If Charlie scores it’s a different game and we may go on to win, but as it was deservedly beaten.

Willock/Chair couldn’t get us out of jail and their keeper/backline played very well. Today exposed us a bit when you take one or two out of the team we don’t look the same side - certainly not got the strength in depth to compete for top 2, but really we knew that deep down.

A good advert for January loanees, another full back and a pacey attacking mid option to ease the burden on Chris and Ilias. Still think we have enough to make Top 6, but need to keep an eye on Boro and Sheff Utd.

COYRs

Poll: And it's hi ho

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 18:38 - Dec 5 with 1105 viewsnix

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 17:25 - Dec 5 by Boston

Personally, I think her brief moment of leadership went to her head.

To be honest I've been humbled by my poor performance in this match. I don't think the title was as snappy as it might have been. I didn't do a significant analysis of the opponents.

Some people might point to Charlie's pen; others to our lack of width and penetration. But really if your thread starter doesn't set the right tone, then you don't deserve to win.

I'll pass on the mantle to someone more worthy.
Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 18:38 - Dec 5 with 1103 viewsBoston

Mixed opinion here today! We played reasonably well, but we can and do perform much better. I'm disappointed, but christ we had plenty of opportunity, nine shots (of 24), on target and seventeen corners is not testament to a poor performance.

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 18:41 - Dec 5 with 1089 viewsBoston

Rag, tag and bobtail, the Stoke City Matchday Thread on 18:38 - Dec 5 by nix

To be honest I've been humbled by my poor performance in this match. I don't think the title was as snappy as it might have been. I didn't do a significant analysis of the opponents.

Some people might point to Charlie's pen; others to our lack of width and penetration. But really if your thread starter doesn't set the right tone, then you don't deserve to win.

I'll pass on the mantle to someone more worthy.

Let's hope they can piece it together.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024