Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card 07:33 - Dec 6 with 5757 viewsnumptydumpty

It happens with all teams now.

I don't notice it so much with ourselves but am certain we must do it also. Seny definitely done it few times.

Players go down and sit on the ground when nowt wrong with them at all.

It's so bloody obvious and most referees do absolutely nothing at all even though they must know themselves, what's going on.

It seems even the ones that do end up brandishing yellow cards eventually they allow three or four occasions before they do so.

Its taken over from diving as number one pain in butt in the game today.

Referees rend be very weak with regards to this. Ie More worried about booking someone who is genuinely injured than a player totally and completely blatantly p*****g about and getting away with it.

There's stupid rule about yellow card for taking shirt off when player scores. Which where's the issues with that really.

But shithousery as we seem to label it. No real rules around this and all referees actually seem do not much about it.

It's very irritating but rule change is needed, I feel.

What do we all think ???

[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 7:35]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:51 - Dec 6 with 1847 viewsLongsufferingR

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:43 - Dec 6 by Northernr

I think it's very unfair that they're putting pressure on referees to effectively act as triage doctors. They're always going to go with caution because you wouldn't want to be the referee playing on while some geezer has broken his leg or worse.

Depends who the player is....
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:51 - Dec 6 with 1845 viewsPinnerPaul

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:43 - Dec 6 by Northernr

I think it's very unfair that they're putting pressure on referees to effectively act as triage doctors. They're always going to go with caution because you wouldn't want to be the referee playing on while some geezer has broken his leg or worse.

Agree.

As you've said before, people go on about 'head injuries', but two of the highest profile cases where players very nearly died on the fop, were nothing to do with their heads!

If we take a step back from the emotion, a player suffering a serious injury or in those (incredibly rare) occasions an 'internal' problem really IS more important than a football match and its outcome - as you say, the referees know that, the players know that, the medical staff know it - its just that the last two groups are using that to 'manage the game' or to put it bluntly 'cheat'.

No one is going to be hurt by Albert taking a minute for 3 throws or by any GK (inc our own) taking 30 seconds plus for a GK, but as you say, someone will one day because of these antics.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 15:20 - Dec 6 with 1794 viewsTheChef

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:51 - Dec 6 by PinnerPaul

Agree.

As you've said before, people go on about 'head injuries', but two of the highest profile cases where players very nearly died on the fop, were nothing to do with their heads!

If we take a step back from the emotion, a player suffering a serious injury or in those (incredibly rare) occasions an 'internal' problem really IS more important than a football match and its outcome - as you say, the referees know that, the players know that, the medical staff know it - its just that the last two groups are using that to 'manage the game' or to put it bluntly 'cheat'.

No one is going to be hurt by Albert taking a minute for 3 throws or by any GK (inc our own) taking 30 seconds plus for a GK, but as you say, someone will one day because of these antics.

Typically the more rolling around on the floor a player, the less likely it is that they're injured, is how I tend to see it.

But yes refs are in a very difficult situation on this subject these days.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 15:49 - Dec 6 with 1759 viewsMatch82

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 11:41 - Dec 6 by PlanetHonneywood

There is also a need to empower refs to actually respond.

Possibly one of the most egregious pieces of feigning injury I have ever seen since Rivaldo in a World Cup a few tournaments back (against Turkey I think), was in the recent Copa Libertadores final between Flamengo and Palmaries.

With Palmaries winning 2-1 in injury time of extra time, their striker gets in a tangle with two Flamengo defenders and after his dying swan impression, the ref ambles over and awards Flamengo the free kick.

The striker remonstrates while being sat on his backside. The ref basically says get up, so he does and both he and the ref start running back to the halfway line. The ref, slightly behind the striker, 'pats' him on the lower back as if to say, 'get on with it.

Even JFK's reaction after being hit by the third and fatal bullet was less dramatic than that which suddenly saw the striker felled and rolling around like a complete twunt! The Palmaries players seeing their stricken comrade in the last throws of life; request the ref to intervene. He merely saunters back and after availing the striker of the facts, the striker is up and prancing like Bambi to get back to the halfway line.

Not a yellow in sight!

This is the type of shithousery that needs clamping down either at the instant it takes place and/or retrospectively. As I mentioned earlier the game can continue and/or just stop the clock.

Speaking of the Brazilian league...

I think this is the incident?

[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 16:09]
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 16:05 - Dec 6 with 1717 viewsJuzzie

I touched on it earlier.... how about neutral physio's attend the player first?

If genuinely injured, they make way for the club physio (who can come on the pitch the same time)

If not injured, they're booked and told to get up and stop being such a wuss.

Yes, you can have players who may spread the bookings around to still try and break up opposition momentum but isn't there punishment for the club if the rack up too many bookings?
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 16:33 - Dec 6 with 1674 viewsPinnerPaul

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 16:05 - Dec 6 by Juzzie

I touched on it earlier.... how about neutral physio's attend the player first?

If genuinely injured, they make way for the club physio (who can come on the pitch the same time)

If not injured, they're booked and told to get up and stop being such a wuss.

Yes, you can have players who may spread the bookings around to still try and break up opposition momentum but isn't there punishment for the club if the rack up too many bookings?

Money????????????????
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 16:39 - Dec 6 with 1666 viewsJuzzie

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 16:33 - Dec 6 by PinnerPaul

Money????????????????

Covered by the players fines for being booked :)
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 16:39 - Dec 6 with 1654 viewsPinnerPaul

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 16:39 - Dec 6 by Juzzie

Covered by the players fines for being booked :)

Login to get fewer ads

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 17:10 - Dec 6 with 1614 viewsbermudabob

Pretty rare that a player needs urgent treatment. With a broken leg does it matter whether you get immediate treatment or wait 2 minutes? Not really. Plenty of footy going on without a phyio even in attendance

I'd agree it is impossible for the ref to police. I'd suggest game only stopped immediately if the 4th official tells the ref to or ref/lino have serious immediate concerns. Apart from that play never stopped to invite the physio on. If the physio does come on the player has to stay off the pitch for at least two mins and only re-enters during a break in play after that 2 mins. Exceptions being keeper or if a yellow card was issued for the offence.

Simple to understand, I think relatively straight forward to apply. Sensible probably. Will it happen no.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 17:23 - Dec 6 with 1606 viewsE1Hoop

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:51 - Dec 6 by PinnerPaul

Agree.

I agree that it is hard to police but the issue is not just feigning injury. There are load of things teams use and it is getting ever more sophisticated. Take a quick free kick with a moving ball, looking to restart the game quickly but not really. Pretend you think it is a free kick when really it is a throw in, look to take a quick throw from 29 yards up the pitch and then feign ignorance when told to retreat. I am sure there are lots more. The clubs must be thinking of and practising these things. But it seems to be getting worse. I would be interested if anyone knew how long the ball is meaningfully in play in football compared to hockey or rugby league.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 17:50 - Dec 6 with 1580 viewsJuzzie

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 17:23 - Dec 6 by E1Hoop

I agree that it is hard to police but the issue is not just feigning injury. There are load of things teams use and it is getting ever more sophisticated. Take a quick free kick with a moving ball, looking to restart the game quickly but not really. Pretend you think it is a free kick when really it is a throw in, look to take a quick throw from 29 yards up the pitch and then feign ignorance when told to retreat. I am sure there are lots more. The clubs must be thinking of and practising these things. But it seems to be getting worse. I would be interested if anyone knew how long the ball is meaningfully in play in football compared to hockey or rugby league.

I think it was usually around 70 mins meaningfully in play. Probably down to about 30 now!
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 18:03 - Dec 6 with 1570 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 15:49 - Dec 6 by Match82

Speaking of the Brazilian league...

I think this is the incident?

[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 16:09]

That’s him, that’s the plum!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 18:18 - Dec 6 with 1557 viewsenfieldargh

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 13:59 - Dec 6 by colinallcars

Late in the game yesterday their goalie made a save down to his right and grimacing with pain proceded to vigorously rub his right shoulder and upper arm. A team mate then yanked him to his feet by the same arm that was supposedly injured.

This is what makes the whole situation so difficult to police.

Their keeper smashed his shoulder into the goal post, was amazed he got up/pulled to his feet as if a keeper goes down thats it, ref stops the game

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 16:41 - Dec 7 with 1407 viewsterryb

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 17:10 - Dec 6 by bermudabob

Pretty rare that a player needs urgent treatment. With a broken leg does it matter whether you get immediate treatment or wait 2 minutes? Not really. Plenty of footy going on without a phyio even in attendance

I'd agree it is impossible for the ref to police. I'd suggest game only stopped immediately if the 4th official tells the ref to or ref/lino have serious immediate concerns. Apart from that play never stopped to invite the physio on. If the physio does come on the player has to stay off the pitch for at least two mins and only re-enters during a break in play after that 2 mins. Exceptions being keeper or if a yellow card was issued for the offence.

Simple to understand, I think relatively straight forward to apply. Sensible probably. Will it happen no.

Wouldn't matter if the player with a broken leg had to wait two minutes?
It definitely would to the player that was in pain & to all the others on the pitch that were aware of the injury.

This is not a new problem, although it is more noticable now. In my 40 years of playing there wouldn't have been many game's when nobody went down injured. When substitutes were first allowed, they were for injuries only. That was soon changed as it was realised that nearly every team had an "injury" that required a substitute!

From memory, the first sub was Keith Peacock (father to Gavin) for Charlton.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 18:38 - Dec 7 with 1366 viewsnumptydumpty

Thanks for all replies

Agree brandishing yellow cards potentially dangerous ie misreading situation.

Think the solution. You off for two minutes if you need treatment and want to come back on.

Clearly most these stoppages would then be very carefully considered.
So definitely less opportunities to time waste as this is currently.

Time taken to do goal kicks or throw ins again perhaps a maximum time limit for these also before yellow card given automatically

Will potentially cut lot this type time-wasting also.

And or physio on pitch when game still going a possibility and also stop the clock also instead of guesswork re injury time.

But having watched games live since 1980, time-wasting tactics seem worse than ever currently and along with simulation is part of the wonderful game that really isn't massively wonderful !!!!!

Do I expect any changes in next few years..

Errrmm. The computer says no !!!!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 11:36 - Dec 8 with 1308 viewswood_hoop

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 18:38 - Dec 7 by numptydumpty

Thanks for all replies

Think the solution. You off for two minutes if you need treatment and want to come back on.

Time taken to do goal kicks or throw ins again perhaps a maximum time limit for these also before yellow card given automatically

And or physio on pitch when game still going a possibility and also stop the clock also instead of guesswork re injury time.

But having watched games live since 1980, time-wasting tactics seem worse than ever currently and along with simulation is part of the wonderful game that really isn't massively wonderful !!!!!

Thought long and hard about this, it is getting to the stage where 25/30% of a game the ball is not in play.

Using the same rules as serving in tennis between points (20 seconds) for throw ins/goal kicks, free kicks corners, this can be ajusted if professional bodies can agree to a time more suitable for football.

If not following the time rule the ball is given to your opposition, will not stop shithousery completely but could eliminate it a whole lot more

Clock is stopped for pyhysio/subs, the onus is then taken off the refs for adding additional time,.

A press of the stopwatch immediatly by the ref must be easier than calculating how many minutes to be added after 90 minutes.

No doubt there are flaws but sure some will come up with a way to stop the Oscar winning performances by some and the outright cheating that is a plague on the sport.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 11:56 - Dec 8 with 1280 viewsTheChef

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 18:38 - Dec 7 by numptydumpty

Thanks for all replies

Yes if you're going off for treatment you need to stay off for at least two/three minutes. Players might think more then about the play acting.

It should be something that the 4th official can help manage better. Not as if they're doing that much anyway other than holding up a board!

Happy to be corrected

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 13:00 - Dec 8 with 1236 viewsMyke

Why can't they do what they do in Gaelic Football? Play on AND have the physio attending the injured player at the same time. The physio is regularly on carrying out running repairs while the game continues around them, only for serious injuries is the game stopped.
Also, if a player is feigning a leg injury and seconds later is sprinting towards goal (I saw Jesus - the Man City player, not the other bloke even though it was a miracle - do just that last weekend) could they not be booked retrospectively for ungentlemanly conduct (is that even a thing anymore?) in the same way as the referee allows an advantage despite an obvious foul and then books the player later?
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:47 - Dec 8 with 1192 viewsHAYESBOY

I haven't read all the posts so not sure if this point has been made.

What infuriates me when these players go down and roll around or signal that they are seriously injured is that its done so many times that officials and even other players will ignore them, but you may get a player in serious trouble, like Eriksen was and the response time to get to the player is delayed.
It was bugging me when all these players were sending messages about Eriksen, and not a week later you had an Italian plyer feigning injury, think it was Immobile, on the floor, as soon as he sees they have scored, he was up celebrating.
I also think this is coached into them.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:53 - Dec 8 with 1181 viewsPinnerPaul

Some good points, the problem with the 2 minute return rule, is that a player could genuinely injure someone and actually benefit from it, as his team has the man advantage!
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 15:16 - Dec 8 with 1165 viewsLongsufferingR

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:53 - Dec 8 by PinnerPaul

Some good points, the problem with the 2 minute return rule, is that a player could genuinely injure someone and actually benefit from it, as his team has the man advantage!

Now that's a game I'd like to watch.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 15:25 - Dec 8 with 1149 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:53 - Dec 8 by PinnerPaul

Bugger.
I thought I'd cracked it. Statues were being built in my honour. Poets had quills at the ready. Bards were luting around with those lute things.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 15:34 - Dec 8 with 1135 viewsJuzzie

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 15:16 - Dec 8 by LongsufferingR

Now that's a game I'd like to watch.

Yeah, it would be 3v3 in about the first 10 mins
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 19:05 - Dec 8 with 1050 viewsBrianWilson

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 08:54 - Dec 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Yes, we definitely do it - Johansson is one I've often noticed feigning injury.

In fact, our comms team have recently been praising us for doing it. And many Rangers fans found Adomah's time-wasting with the throw-ins hilrious.

I always thought a simple rule to trial would be that all players requiring treatment have to be treated off the field and three minutes of play have to elapse before they or their sub is brought on.

Jonansson is unbelievable for this. Would be disgusted as an opposition fan with his professional time wasting. Does it almost every game once it gets towards 90....but I'll forgive him as a QPR fan.

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 20:38 - Dec 8 with 1028 viewsDavieQPR

If it's not a foul and causes play to be held up then the player should be sidelined for 5 mins. If he is injured then it will aid his recovery.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024