Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 22:17 - Jan 25 with 6819 viewsBlackCrowe

Well that was a damp squib. We lacked any intensity until the last 10 minutes. Swansea were quite similar in style to us without much threat up front, played from the back, high line, etc.
So many fouls, the game never got going and the ref didn't really have a grip on it and missed a couple of howlers.
But it shows where we are that a 0-0 almost feels like a loss. I said yesterday that i would be delighted with 4 points from today and next Saturday so on we go to the weekend. You Rs.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Just back on 11:30 - Jan 26 with 1627 viewsnix

Just back on 11:17 - Jan 26 by Antti_Heinola

I was interested in hearing your view on the ref Pinner. Due to a positive test, had to watch on TV last night, and I had absolutely no problems with the ref bar one or two 50-50 decisions, but you can't expect more than that. Was quite surprised to come on here and find a lot of people felt he didn't ref it well. I suspect had I been there I might have had that opinion too. Thought he got the red card right - that player was a walking red, and could easily have gone earlier imo.
Agree on Manning, although thought he was decent if annoying (as you say, he was always falling over for cheap free kicks for us - although TV replays suggested SJ barely touched him - they both just got up and got on with it).

I suspect a lot of what happened wouldn't have been shown on TV. There were several fouls off the ball, and niggly pull backs and little kicks when duelling with both Odubajo and Willock in particular. Odubajo got something in the face and another time across the chest. I wonder if the manager was deflecting from his own players.
Just back on 11:32 - Jan 26 with 1613 viewsParkRoyalR

Just back on 10:10 - Jan 26 by PinnerPaul

Referee - thought he was a little hesitant and inconsistent.

Manning did what he did for us, exaggerated any contact and fell over when no contact, despite being 'fouled' by Albert and SJ and 'hit in the face by Charlie' - all right in front of me - didn't need treatment for any of it - funny that?

Ordinary player who would behind Barbet and Wallace if still here.

'One of our best players lost and heading for the PL'?, as some said at the time - I don't think so!

Manning on this thread has been criticized for being slow, uninterested in tracking back and falling over too easy.

Manning has also been criticized for wanting to move to another club who were willing to pay him a much larger salary.

Now, not wishing to be contrary, but the former could apply to Austin last night and the latter when Austin forced his previous exit from the club.

Manning was always fit when called upon and earned his wages. I don't get the criticism.
Just back on 11:43 - Jan 26 with 1564 viewsTheChef

Just back on 11:32 - Jan 26 by ParkRoyalR

Manning on this thread has been criticized for being slow, uninterested in tracking back and falling over too easy.

Manning has also been criticized for wanting to move to another club who were willing to pay him a much larger salary.

Now, not wishing to be contrary, but the former could apply to Austin last night and the latter when Austin forced his previous exit from the club.

Manning was always fit when called upon and earned his wages. I don't get the criticism.

I didn't think he did anything that terrible at the club before he left?

I suppose some of our fans need to have an ex player to boo if there is some perceived slight.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Just back on 11:49 - Jan 26 with 1545 viewsParkRoyalR

Just back on 11:43 - Jan 26 by TheChef

I didn't think he did anything that terrible at the club before he left?

I suppose some of our fans need to have an ex player to boo if there is some perceived slight.

Agree, can't recall him leading the club up the garden path like BOS or playing for a lucrative new deal and then thinking job-done, pass me the biscuit tin. Just don't get the hate.
Just back on 11:57 - Jan 26 with 1515 viewsBlue_Castello

Just back on 11:49 - Jan 26 by ParkRoyalR

Agree, can't recall him leading the club up the garden path like BOS or playing for a lucrative new deal and then thinking job-done, pass me the biscuit tin. Just don't get the hate.

Not sure where you are getting the Hate from, I wanted him to stay and was disappointed when he left and considering a new contract was put on the table the motivation to leave must have been either from him or his agent.
As you correctly say lots of people leave for more money and we just have to accept that, he was always far better attacking than defending and he would have made a good wing back in our current system.
Just back on 12:02 - Jan 26 with 1503 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just back on 11:30 - Jan 26 by nix

I suspect a lot of what happened wouldn't have been shown on TV. There were several fouls off the ball, and niggly pull backs and little kicks when duelling with both Odubajo and Willock in particular. Odubajo got something in the face and another time across the chest. I wonder if the manager was deflecting from his own players.

Those Odubajo incidents were shown. Although, if they weren't on TV, I'd struggle to blame the ref for not seeing them either, as his attention is likely roughly where the camera is pointing! Having said that, there were a couple of times when the fans got a bit annoyed about something that was clearly offscreen, although when they showed them back there was very little in it. They made a lot of comments about Odubajo and Willock coming in for some clatterings though.

Bare bones.

Just back on 12:05 - Jan 26 with 1483 viewsParkRoyalR

Just back on 11:57 - Jan 26 by Blue_Castello

Not sure where you are getting the Hate from, I wanted him to stay and was disappointed when he left and considering a new contract was put on the table the motivation to leave must have been either from him or his agent.
As you correctly say lots of people leave for more money and we just have to accept that, he was always far better attacking than defending and he would have made a good wing back in our current system.

Could have been the 'Manning your a cnt' chant from P block last night, just embarrassing.

By contrast, a certain player who plays those boys like a fiddle put in a very rare energetic run to close a man down at the corner flag, got nut-megged and thought...that's twitter covered off for a week.. job done / tools downed.
Just back on 12:15 - Jan 26 with 1457 viewsrobith

Felt maybe our back to back heroics had maybe taken a toll, and Warbz had maybe one eye too many on Saturday - but then again we crafted 3 clean chances to win the match and didn't take them.

A rare poor set of subs for this season too, probably sports science led - but we lost a lot of impetus without Amos

Swansea were fairly woeful imo
Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 12:15 - Jan 26 with 1456 viewsBlue_Castello

Just back on 12:05 - Jan 26 by ParkRoyalR

Could have been the 'Manning your a cnt' chant from P block last night, just embarrassing.

By contrast, a certain player who plays those boys like a fiddle put in a very rare energetic run to close a man down at the corner flag, got nut-megged and thought...that's twitter covered off for a week.. job done / tools downed.

Agreed now just imagine he had signed that contract which was put on the table, those same fans would have been singing he's "one of our own"........
Just back on 12:19 - Jan 26 with 1450 viewsEsox_Lucius

I didn't really notice in the 1st half as I sit in the Upper Loft but in the 2nd half it was very noticeable that Naughton was being played very deep with a view to drawing QPR players onto him and create a breakaway from his position. His technical ability meant that he was comfortable drawing players in without fear of being dispossessed. The exchanges between him and Hamer was certainly getting 2-3 R's players chasing shadows almost every time.
How Wolf & Piroe avoided cards is a testament to the ref's unwillingness to curtail the blatant spoiler tactics being used. Willock clearly targeted for treatment throughout and without Chair to share the load they were ably to effectively shut him out of the game.
A draw was a fair result IMO as Charlie was quite ineffective as a lone striker but with Gray gone for a while MW has to cut his cloth accordingly. Amos' shot merely demonstrated the small margins that decide a game but I will take the win at Coventry as some small compensation for not picking up 3 points last night.
The abuse of Manning was embarrassing and unnecessary. I'd have him back in a heartbeat to operate down our left hand side.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 12:52]

The grass is always greener.

Just back on 12:42 - Jan 26 with 1377 viewswestberksr

Just back on 11:25 - Jan 26 by TheChef

Much as I prefer a ref to keep cards in his pocket, an early yellow or two last night would have tempered Swansea's behaviour.

definitely this; the ref let them away with several excessive tackles and blocking runners off the ball; pushing in the back when chasing and following through on players.

All quite small but nasty enough repeated offences that added up. Until refs consider the players being targeted and then just yellow the second deliberate foul, regardless of the player committing it this sort of behaviour will continue.

they shared the fouls around intelligently for game management and despite some being quite cynical the ref let it go. I thought he was pretty poor last night, reffing with far too a soft touch and their managers comments are bullsh it.
Just back on 13:20 - Jan 26 with 1291 viewsRangers67

Overall I thought we deserved the win, just. The ref , well what can you say , about the standard we expect at this level, very poor. No wonder Bristol City got him binned off their game . Allowed Swansea to get away with cynical fouls throughout and should have carded a couple of them much earlier. Also we had a few players of the pace last night , Amos, Field and Barbet. But if we get a win on Sat then all will be fine. Swansea not interested in winning the game and I am so glad I don,t have to watch that every week zzzzzzzzz.
Just back on 14:02 - Jan 26 with 1209 viewseastside_r

Just back on 12:15 - Jan 26 by Blue_Castello

Agreed now just imagine he had signed that contract which was put on the table, those same fans would have been singing he's "one of our own"........

But he didn’t sign it. Isn’t that kinda the point?
Just back on 14:09 - Jan 26 with 1187 viewsParkRoyalR

Just back on 14:02 - Jan 26 by eastside_r

But he didn’t sign it. Isn’t that kinda the point?

So that makes him a cnt?
Just back on 14:12 - Jan 26 with 1172 viewseastside_r

Just back on 14:09 - Jan 26 by ParkRoyalR

So that makes him a cnt?

No I didn’t say that and I didn’t join in with the chant. (Although it did make me grin but so did the Swansea fans singing, It’s Coming Home - I am odd like that.)
Just back on 14:18 - Jan 26 with 1136 viewseastside_r

Just back on 14:12 - Jan 26 by eastside_r

No I didn’t say that and I didn’t join in with the chant. (Although it did make me grin but so did the Swansea fans singing, It’s Coming Home - I am odd like that.)

And to add I liked Manning for us, although he was never given an extended run in what I think is his best position - DCM.

It is not THAT a player leaves, it is how he leaves. Ryan is now dead to me.
Just back on 14:18 - Jan 26 with 1131 viewsnix

Just back on 12:02 - Jan 26 by Antti_Heinola

Those Odubajo incidents were shown. Although, if they weren't on TV, I'd struggle to blame the ref for not seeing them either, as his attention is likely roughly where the camera is pointing! Having said that, there were a couple of times when the fans got a bit annoyed about something that was clearly offscreen, although when they showed them back there was very little in it. They made a lot of comments about Odubajo and Willock coming in for some clatterings though.

I think it's because of the persistence of it that the crowd got riled, and no card. Latibaudiere fouled Odubajo four or five times in the first half, when it looked like he would have got in a good position, no booking. If he'd booked him then it would have stopped, same with Willock. One of the few times he didn't get clattered when breaking away, he passed to Amos when Amos hit the post.
Just back on 14:25 - Jan 26 with 1095 viewsTheChef

Extended highlights are up.

Re the Dykes chance, his first touch lets him down, had he controlled the ball better I think he would have got a more accurate shot away. Or not. Ah well.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Just back on 14:41 - Jan 26 with 1068 viewsParkRoyalR

Just back on 14:25 - Jan 26 by TheChef

Extended highlights are up.

Re the Dykes chance, his first touch lets him down, had he controlled the ball better I think he would have got a more accurate shot away. Or not. Ah well.

Agree, watched the replay last night, great chest-off, acceleration and positioning, just 1st touch didn't push it in front of him enough, so was almost digging it out from under his feet, shame!
Just back on 15:10 - Jan 26 with 1026 viewsGaryT

Just back on 03:18 - Jan 26 by Benny_the_Ball

I'd love him more if he scored. Showed a real lack of composure and awareness with that late miss.

Could have been worse

Just back on 15:47 - Jan 26 with 977 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 11:17 - Jan 26 by Antti_Heinola

I was interested in hearing your view on the ref Pinner. Due to a positive test, had to watch on TV last night, and I had absolutely no problems with the ref bar one or two 50-50 decisions, but you can't expect more than that. Was quite surprised to come on here and find a lot of people felt he didn't ref it well. I suspect had I been there I might have had that opinion too. Thought he got the red card right - that player was a walking red, and could easily have gone earlier imo.
Agree on Manning, although thought he was decent if annoying (as you say, he was always falling over for cheap free kicks for us - although TV replays suggested SJ barely touched him - they both just got up and got on with it).

Interesting to hear the 'TV viewpoint' as well.

Live it just seemed to me that similar challenges were treated differently and there was a gap between some fouls and the whistle, obviously! I realise, especially at this level, that referees are always looking to play advantage so will often whistle 'late'

It was a difficult game in the sense that if he penalised every little pull and tug and started handing out the yellows a little more, would have been a poor game to watch and we would have had a lot more yellows, which, like Clive I don't like to see.
Just back on 15:52 - Jan 26 with 966 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 11:25 - Jan 26 by TheChef

Much as I prefer a ref to keep cards in his pocket, an early yellow or two last night would have tempered Swansea's behaviour.

Worth a little discussion on that 'early yellow' point.

In Coventry game, Nick and Andy were bemoaning the lack of an early yellow, with Andy saying he had 'no idea' why referees were reluctant to issue early cards.

In my humble way, here's my answer Andy & Nick.

Issue an early yellow and you set the bar - any foul that meets (or exceeds) the threshold of that first card then has to be cautioned - hence you end up with 7/8 cards.

By raising the bar as such and waiting it gives you a little more leeway about when to issue cards.

That first foul don't forget could be just a one off, impossible to tell at the time, it could also of course be the prelude, as here in a way, to a series of fouls, but you don't know that at the time.
Just back on 15:54 - Jan 26 with 952 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 11:32 - Jan 26 by ParkRoyalR

Fit and earned his wages - tick

One of our best players and better than we have now - nope - not for me.
Just back on 15:56 - Jan 26 with 941 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 12:19 - Jan 26 by Esox_Lucius

I didn't really notice in the 1st half as I sit in the Upper Loft but in the 2nd half it was very noticeable that Naughton was being played very deep with a view to drawing QPR players onto him and create a breakaway from his position. His technical ability meant that he was comfortable drawing players in without fear of being dispossessed. The exchanges between him and Hamer was certainly getting 2-3 R's players chasing shadows almost every time.
How Wolf & Piroe avoided cards is a testament to the ref's unwillingness to curtail the blatant spoiler tactics being used. Willock clearly targeted for treatment throughout and without Chair to share the load they were ably to effectively shut him out of the game.
A draw was a fair result IMO as Charlie was quite ineffective as a lone striker but with Gray gone for a while MW has to cut his cloth accordingly. Amos' shot merely demonstrated the small margins that decide a game but I will take the win at Coventry as some small compensation for not picking up 3 points last night.
The abuse of Manning was embarrassing and unnecessary. I'd have him back in a heartbeat to operate down our left hand side.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 12:52]

and drop Barbet or Wallace?
Just back on 18:02 - Jan 26 with 838 viewsnix

Just back on 15:52 - Jan 26 by PinnerPaul

Worth a little discussion on that 'early yellow' point.

In Coventry game, Nick and Andy were bemoaning the lack of an early yellow, with Andy saying he had 'no idea' why referees were reluctant to issue early cards.

In my humble way, here's my answer Andy & Nick.

Issue an early yellow and you set the bar - any foul that meets (or exceeds) the threshold of that first card then has to be cautioned - hence you end up with 7/8 cards.

By raising the bar as such and waiting it gives you a little more leeway about when to issue cards.

That first foul don't forget could be just a one off, impossible to tell at the time, it could also of course be the prelude, as here in a way, to a series of fouls, but you don't know that at the time.

I'm not saying you're wrong Pinner, after all I'm not a ref, but I do see it differently to you and Clive.

I think if you give an early card, you're LESS likely to see the continuing fouls that lead to people getting irate and ending up with frustration and handbags, as in last night and the Bournemouth game, after all you're not getting penalised apart from a free kick, in which you're less likely to be exposed than when someone's threatening to break through your lines. Obviously only for bad or cynical fouls or, as in last night, persistent fouling of the same player. I think you've said before that you can book someone if a team is operating a rotating foul policy on one player, and not just if it's the same player always fouling a particular opponent.

He didn't book anyone until 29 minutes in, so that's quite a lot of fouls later, largely targeting our players with pace/incisiveness in Willock and Odubajo.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 18:05]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024