Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies 09:43 - Apr 7 with 3207 viewsRs_Holy

can someone explain how train fares work? I am going for a few beers with mates tomorrow in Guildford.
I need to get the train back to Feltham at some point so can anyone explain why it will cost £23:00 if I leave Guildford at 22.37, £17:60 if I leave at 23.07, £23:00 if I leave at 23.39 or if I have the mother of all benders and get the 4.25am train the following morning it will cost £30:50??? ... (its less than 20 miles as the crow flies).
Whinge over! (for the time being).
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 9:54]
Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 09:55 - Apr 7 with 3139 viewsTonto

do not try and apply any sort of logic. there isnt any.

and this is after the train operators "cleaned up" the train ticketing offers a few years back.

it is also barmy that it costs more to take a train to (say) Edinburgh than to fly. That's consistent with climate change policy.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 10:07 - Apr 7 with 3088 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

The Feltham to Guildford journey does look quite special doesn’t it! It’s a bit more complicated because there are two routes via Clapham Junction and Woking.

What I’d probably do is buy a return from Clapham Junction to Guildford for £15.80 and then use your oyster or contactless card for the Feltham/Clapham Junction leg. Might not be the cheapest option but should get you there and back for little more than £20

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 10:11 - Apr 7 with 3066 viewseastside_r

I assume these are ‘Advance’ fares which are available (in advance) and price varies with demand.

I would look for ‘Off-peak’ fares which tend to be more expensive but will be consistently priced I.e. won’t matter which train you get.
Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 10:16 - Apr 7 with 3046 viewseastside_r

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 10:11 - Apr 7 by eastside_r

I assume these are ‘Advance’ fares which are available (in advance) and price varies with demand.

I would look for ‘Off-peak’ fares which tend to be more expensive but will be consistently priced I.e. won’t matter which train you get.

Actually CWS advice above probably trumps what I said.
Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 10:19 - Apr 7 with 3027 viewsKonk

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 09:55 - Apr 7 by Tonto

and this is after the train operators "cleaned up" the train ticketing offers a few years back.

it is also barmy that it costs more to take a train to (say) Edinburgh than to fly. That's consistent with climate change policy.

I booked train tickets from Bristol Temple Meads to Paddington yesterday for two adults and one child. On both GWR and Trainline websites, a message popped up asking if I wanted to see Group Save deals. Yes, please; I’d love to save some money. Group Save tickets worked out at £133 and were promoted as the cheapest fares when the results were returned. Biffed-off the Group Save option, searched again and managed to get return tickets for £78. And that’s before you even get into the farce of jouney-splitting tickets.

It’s an absolute disgrace that unless you’ve spent years pis sing about buying tickets on our railways, there’s little chance that you won’t end-up paying well over the cheapest fares on any sort of inter-city travel. Absolutely wan k. And as Tonto has said - if I want to go and watch Hibs, it usually works out 1/2 as cheap to fly, even including transport to/from airports. I love train travel and can’t be ars ed with flying, but that can be a £2-300 difference if there are 3 of us travelling. Shambles.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 10:35 - Apr 7 with 2970 viewsRs_Holy

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 09:55 - Apr 7 by Tonto

yep... living in Feltham we flew to Edinburgh recently because its cheaper (all in) and so much quicker. Also the facilities at Heathrow are fantastic... You'd think something has to change although we've been saying it for ages now.
Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 08:33 - Apr 8 with 2637 viewsRangersDave

You should try buying tickets for the same journey by their '2 together' railcard, then without....... no difference in the price at all!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 08:57 - Apr 8 with 2587 viewsslmrstid

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 08:33 - Apr 8 by RangersDave

You should try buying tickets for the same journey by their '2 together' railcard, then without....... no difference in the price at all!

There should be a difference, but there are some journeys where railcard discounts don't apply. Think peak times for instance don't apply, might be other instances where thats the case.
Login to get fewer ads

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 10:24 - Apr 8 with 2511 viewsLazyFan

Well when anyone says BR (nationalised British Rail to the young uns) was better and cheaper, there is always someone who says "loony leftie" to that.

Meanwhile, the fares get more expensive and the trains still don't run on time and now sometimes they don't run at all, whereas at least with BR they ran even if they were late.

Remember if you say anything you will get called a "Loony Leftie" so, what this means is your not only paying extra for a worse service than the old BR, but your also paying not to be called a "loony leftie". Even better fares will go up always so, you will continue to pay. So, that's where the value is avoiding that stigma of leftiness.

You should count your lucky stars you get the privilege to pay to avoid that.

zzzzzzzzzz

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 14:46 - Apr 8 with 2420 viewsTacticalR

Is nationalisation of the railways a left-wing policy? The first legislation to nationalise the railways was passed by the Conservative Party in 1844:
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/249857/page:7/#po

Air hostess clique

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 15:06 - Apr 8 with 2377 viewsMick_S

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 08:33 - Apr 8 by RangersDave

Is that the QPR meal-deal ticket?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 17:26 - Apr 8 with 2240 viewsBedford_R

A few years back I was travelling to Reading from London for work and it was cheaper to buy a return to Cardiff and get off at Reading. Where the hell is the logic in that......

RMH_R Reborn

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 17:50 - Apr 8 with 2219 viewsstowmarketrange

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 17:26 - Apr 8 by Bedford_R

A few years back I was travelling to Reading from London for work and it was cheaper to buy a return to Cardiff and get off at Reading. Where the hell is the logic in that......

We still have the same on greater Anglia sometimes.You can buy a single from Norwich to London for £5 on their special fares promotions,but it’s £30+ from stowmarket.
Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 23:24 - Apr 10 with 1822 viewsLazyFan

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 14:46 - Apr 8 by TacticalR

Is nationalisation of the railways a left-wing policy? The first legislation to nationalise the railways was passed by the Conservative Party in 1844:
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/249857/page:7/#po

1844 was used as a threat to nationalise as know the Tories never went through with it.

Only the left has nationalised the Railways as originally they were private and useless and here we are again.

zzzzzzzzzz

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 08:15 - Apr 11 with 1693 viewsdenhamhoop2

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 23:24 - Apr 10 by LazyFan

1844 was used as a threat to nationalise as know the Tories never went through with it.

Only the left has nationalised the Railways as originally they were private and useless and here we are again.

Well other than now that is the Government are paying the wages of Rail Companies Employees and dictated how many trains run and where and when so effectively Nationalisation without telling anyone
Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 08:32 - Apr 11 with 1671 viewsNorthernr

You want to try living back where I used to. Northern and TPE have basically been allowed to just cut away swathes of their timetable, shrug and say "Covid" and just leave it like that, while raising prices. Loads of places that used to get a train an hour now get one every two hours.

Scunny used to have one fast train in each direction an hour between Manchester and Cleethorpes, and one stopping train an hour calling at all the villages between there and Donny. It now has a Manchester train every two hours (absolutely rammed) and the stopper train has been replaced by a bus. My mum's village had already been cut back to three trains a week, all on a Saturday, these have been removed without even a bus replacement. Fares increased.

Lots and lots of Covid being used as an excuse for not having enough drivers/adequate service in the first place. You want to talk about 'levelling up' the north, tackling climate change or helping with the cost of living, a great place to start is a fast, reliable, affordable electric train service.
Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 10:53 - Apr 11 with 1573 viewsstowmarketrange

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 08:32 - Apr 11 by Northernr

You want to try living back where I used to. Northern and TPE have basically been allowed to just cut away swathes of their timetable, shrug and say "Covid" and just leave it like that, while raising prices. Loads of places that used to get a train an hour now get one every two hours.

Scunny used to have one fast train in each direction an hour between Manchester and Cleethorpes, and one stopping train an hour calling at all the villages between there and Donny. It now has a Manchester train every two hours (absolutely rammed) and the stopper train has been replaced by a bus. My mum's village had already been cut back to three trains a week, all on a Saturday, these have been removed without even a bus replacement. Fares increased.

Lots and lots of Covid being used as an excuse for not having enough drivers/adequate service in the first place. You want to talk about 'levelling up' the north, tackling climate change or helping with the cost of living, a great place to start is a fast, reliable, affordable electric train service.

I know what you mean Clive.There was an away game a couple of years ago at Barnsley I think and it was just a 2 coach train from Doncaster.It was packed when it left and people had to get out on the platform to allow others to get off at various stations along the route.
It was no different getting trains from Leeds to both Blackpool and Blackburn this season.I honestly don’t know how people up with it constantly.
Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 10:58 - Apr 11 with 1560 viewsNorthernr

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 10:53 - Apr 11 by stowmarketrange

I know what you mean Clive.There was an away game a couple of years ago at Barnsley I think and it was just a 2 coach train from Doncaster.It was packed when it left and people had to get out on the platform to allow others to get off at various stations along the route.
It was no different getting trains from Leeds to both Blackpool and Blackburn this season.I honestly don’t know how people up with it constantly.

Forces people into their cars, even when they don't want to, with petrol going through the roof, when we're supposed to be focusing on climate.

I was up at the parents for Sheff Utd last week, but there is no longer a 22.10 from Sheffield to Scunny, so I had to drive.
Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 11:06 - Apr 11 with 1541 viewsRs_Holy

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 10:58 - Apr 11 by Northernr

Forces people into their cars, even when they don't want to, with petrol going through the roof, when we're supposed to be focusing on climate.

I was up at the parents for Sheff Utd last week, but there is no longer a 22.10 from Sheffield to Scunny, so I had to drive.

Jeez... I must stop whinging about trains here... expensive yes but at least there a loads.
Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 11:21 - Apr 11 with 1522 viewsNorthernr

Train Fares??? - Non QPR - bit of a rant - apologies on 11:06 - Apr 11 by Rs_Holy

Jeez... I must stop whinging about trains here... expensive yes but at least there a loads.

Yeh I've been down here too long. I grumble if there isn't a High barnet tube for six minutes. Went home last weekend and your choices Saturday morning were either 9.10 or 11.10 and that was it. On the Sunday the first train was 13.10, there was another at 16.10, and that was it for the day, for about 200,000 people - Grimsby and Scunny.

Brigg and Crowle haven't had a train yet this year.

This post has been edited by an administrator
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024