Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Runners and riders — Column 18:02 - May 15 with 10327 viewsNorthernr

Blowing the dust off this format after three years...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/57786
Runners and riders — Column on 17:08 - May 16 with 2323 viewsParkRoyalR

Runners and riders — Column on 16:47 - May 16 by daveB

Hall is currently managing the Jamaica first team as well as our B team so not sure that can be thrown at him.

So surely he would want to test himself as a Manager at Championship level?
Runners and riders — Column on 17:20 - May 16 with 2291 viewsslmrstid

Runners and riders — Column on 17:08 - May 16 by ParkRoyalR

Well for all we know he might well have applied for the job within the club... we're never going to know one way or the other are we realistically...
Runners and riders — Column on 17:21 - May 16 with 2280 viewsYokelR

Bit worried about the Sol Campbell 'joke' it's not just the usual talksport click bait because he's actually second favourite on at least one of the betting sites so I assume someone, somewhere has put money on him (is that how it works?).
Having no idea who the next manager is going to be after sacking the current one does not reflect a well run club imo.
Is LF the only DofF in the efl/ premiership with zero managerial experience?
Runners and riders — Column on 17:27 - May 16 with 2250 viewsParkRoyalR

Runners and riders — Column on 17:20 - May 16 by slmrstid

Well for all we know he might well have applied for the job within the club... we're never going to know one way or the other are we realistically...

If I was our DoF, and I rated Ramsey & Hall, and I was holding a short-list as poor as is being rumoured, I would encourage them to put themselves forward.
Runners and riders — Column on 17:31 - May 16 with 2226 viewsdaveB

Runners and riders — Column on 17:08 - May 16 by ParkRoyalR

No idea, perhaps he prefers a development role, perhaps he applies and never gets an opportunity, could be any one of a 100 reasons
Runners and riders — Column on 17:38 - May 16 with 2215 viewsfrancisbowles

Thanks Clive, very informative as always and entertaining too.

Unlike others, I am ok with many of the names on your list and know that realistically whoever we appoint will be a risk for us and them in most cases.

Manning, Eustace, Rowett, Derry, Robinson, Ainsworth and Moore. Any of those would definitely have my support. I just hope the club and the fans can be patient and whatever happens give them longer than October. I also hope that we can get it done soon so that plans can be made and Eustace knows whether he is still wanted or not.
Runners and riders — Column on 17:50 - May 16 with 2185 viewsParkRoyalR

Runners and riders — Column on 17:31 - May 16 by daveB

No idea, perhaps he prefers a development role, perhaps he applies and never gets an opportunity, could be any one of a 100 reasons

If he preferred a development role, why would he take a position as Head Coach of Jamaica?

If he is Head Coach of our development team, applies and doesn't get the opportunity, is this because he is not rated by our DoF?

If he has aspirations to 'Head-Coach' at the highest level, I would hope he applies as the short-list currently compiled by our DoF is, imo, under-whelming and shows a clear lack of succession planning, which is a basic role of a DoF.
Runners and riders — Column on 17:54 - May 16 with 2185 viewsdaveB

Runners and riders — Column on 17:50 - May 16 by ParkRoyalR

If he preferred a development role, why would he take a position as Head Coach of Jamaica?

If he is Head Coach of our development team, applies and doesn't get the opportunity, is this because he is not rated by our DoF?

If he has aspirations to 'Head-Coach' at the highest level, I would hope he applies as the short-list currently compiled by our DoF is, imo, under-whelming and shows a clear lack of succession planning, which is a basic role of a DoF.

I 've no idea what Hall wants to do or if he's in the running for the managers job, I'd imagine if they were going to appoint someone who already works at the club then it would have been done by now.

I don't think you can really judge Ferdinand on a shortlist drawn up by bookmakers and reporters, none of us really know who they are considering, it will be down to who he appoints in the next few weeks that he'll rightly be judged on
Login to get fewer ads

Runners and riders — Column on 18:03 - May 16 with 2150 viewsParkRoyalR

Runners and riders — Column on 17:54 - May 16 by daveB

I 've no idea what Hall wants to do or if he's in the running for the managers job, I'd imagine if they were going to appoint someone who already works at the club then it would have been done by now.

I don't think you can really judge Ferdinand on a shortlist drawn up by bookmakers and reporters, none of us really know who they are considering, it will be down to who he appoints in the next few weeks that he'll rightly be judged on

That may be the case, but of the 'runners & riders' short-listed, I am under-whelmed as they either lack championship experience or play a system quite different to what we have been working towards over the last 3 years.

Time will tell. The pressure is on our DoF to deliver as its fairly easy imo to cut costs in business and insert trigger clauses in contracts etc.

Its a different task altogether to then turn the business around onto an upward trajectory. This will tell if our DoF has the skillset for the task in hand.
Runners and riders — Column on 18:56 - May 16 with 2078 views100percent

Paul Ince has now officially ruled himself out of the running - he's staying at Reading.
Phew......
Runners and riders — Column on 10:17 - May 17 with 1522 viewsterryb

"That may be the case, but of the 'runners & riders' short-listed, I am under-whelmed as they either lack championship experience or play a system quite different to what we have been working towards over the last 3 years."

That would have ruled Stock, Jago, Francis & Holloway out of contention then. Mullery & McLaren fit that criteria though!

I'm like FrancisBowles & would be quite happy with one of the up & coming managers from the lower leagues to be appointed, but with a preference for Manning.
Runners and riders — Column on 11:19 - May 17 with 1387 viewsParkRoyalR

Runners and riders — Column on 10:17 - May 17 by terryb

"That may be the case, but of the 'runners & riders' short-listed, I am under-whelmed as they either lack championship experience or play a system quite different to what we have been working towards over the last 3 years."

That would have ruled Stock, Jago, Francis & Holloway out of contention then. Mullery & McLaren fit that criteria though!

I'm like FrancisBowles & would be quite happy with one of the up & coming managers from the lower leagues to be appointed, but with a preference for Manning.

Manning arguably faltered in the run in with MK Don's which was the very reason Warburton's contract was not renewed.

Manning, if I'm correct, has no track record as a player in professional football, has managed MK Don's for one season and did a season in Belgium 2nd the year prior.

If I'm losing £1.5m pcm and I'm swapping Warburton for Manning based the above, that's some gamble.
Runners and riders — Column on 11:30 - May 17 with 1358 viewsRangersw12

Runners and riders — Column on 11:19 - May 17 by ParkRoyalR

Manning arguably faltered in the run in with MK Don's which was the very reason Warburton's contract was not renewed.

Manning, if I'm correct, has no track record as a player in professional football, has managed MK Don's for one season and did a season in Belgium 2nd the year prior.

If I'm losing £1.5m pcm and I'm swapping Warburton for Manning based the above, that's some gamble.

They didn't falter at all and it was always Rotherhams to lose

In a league with Ipswich, Charlton, Sheff Wed and Sunderland it should be seen as an achievement to finish above all in 3rd as I'm sure their budget isn't a patch on the clubs mentioned

I didn't want Warburton to go but he's now left so we need to get behind whoever is next in charge ( unless of course it's Barton or Sol Campbell then I will be at the front of the queue with a pitchfork)
Runners and riders — Column on 11:38 - May 17 with 1346 viewsdaveB

They won 8 of their last 12 games, not sure they faltered
Runners and riders — Column on 11:50 - May 17 with 1315 viewsParkRoyalR

Runners and riders — Column on 11:38 - May 17 by daveB

They won 8 of their last 12 games, not sure they faltered

They picked up 1 point from the 9 available in their final 3 games and missed out on automatic promotion by 1 point, hence my comparison to Warburton and use of the word "falter' - fine to take a contrary view but always good to present the full facts.
Runners and riders — Column on 11:57 - May 17 with 1308 viewsdaveB

Runners and riders — Column on 11:50 - May 17 by ParkRoyalR

They picked up 1 point from the 9 available in their final 3 games and missed out on automatic promotion by 1 point, hence my comparison to Warburton and use of the word "falter' - fine to take a contrary view but always good to present the full facts.

I don't think you can compare it to what happened with Warburton. I'm not pushing for Manning to get the job but they had a really good season and the form in the last 12 games got them to third rather than them starting from that position and falling away
Runners and riders — Column on 12:44 - May 17 with 1217 viewsslmrstid

MK Dons won their final 2 games, 2-0 at home to Morecambe in game 45, and then 5-0 away at Plymouth in their final game.

It was matches 42-44 that they picked 1 point up from. And even then games 40 and 41 were won, so the last 7 games was won 4, drawn 1 and lost 2, which is hardly bad going at any point in a season.
Runners and riders — Column on 12:57 - May 17 with 1199 viewsParkRoyalR

Runners and riders — Column on 12:44 - May 17 by slmrstid

MK Dons won their final 2 games, 2-0 at home to Morecambe in game 45, and then 5-0 away at Plymouth in their final game.

It was matches 42-44 that they picked 1 point up from. And even then games 40 and 41 were won, so the last 7 games was won 4, drawn 1 and lost 2, which is hardly bad going at any point in a season.

Stand corrected, although I still think bringing in a relatively inexperienced Head Coach to work in between a very tight DoF and Academy Coaching Team is a high risk strategy and I'm not sure the calibre of Head Coach we need would see this as anything but a set-up where he holds all the accountability but is totally reliant on the performance of others, who have already seen off one Manager.

I'm really not sure this set-up, with the respective track records of our DoF and Academy is one that would appeal to a young Head Coach as could easily derail their fledgling career. We'll see.
Runners and riders — Column on 13:05 - May 17 with 1189 viewsDannytheR

If you're saying that having been a successful player is a pre-condition for a good manager (which is crackers anyway), not sure why you'd want Warburton, who *exactly like Manning* never got beyond non-league.
Runners and riders — Column on 13:06 - May 17 with 1187 viewsslmrstid

Runners and riders — Column on 12:57 - May 17 by ParkRoyalR

Stand corrected, although I still think bringing in a relatively inexperienced Head Coach to work in between a very tight DoF and Academy Coaching Team is a high risk strategy and I'm not sure the calibre of Head Coach we need would see this as anything but a set-up where he holds all the accountability but is totally reliant on the performance of others, who have already seen off one Manager.

I'm really not sure this set-up, with the respective track records of our DoF and Academy is one that would appeal to a young Head Coach as could easily derail their fledgling career. We'll see.

It would definitely be a risk I agree, especially as Clive pointed out in his column about him not really having dealt with adversity yet, or in a more pressure cooker environment that QPR is compared to MK Dons.
Runners and riders — Column on 14:05 - May 17 with 1068 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Runners and riders — Column on 17:31 - May 16 by daveB

Or perhaps he's not ready or not good enough. Aim higher folks; we're a championship club with aspirations of the Premier League.
Runners and riders — Column on 14:07 - May 17 with 1063 viewsBenny_the_Ball

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/former-tottenham-boss-emerging-as-candidate-fo

Tim Sherwood; Sol Campbell; Jesus wept.
Runners and riders — Column on 14:10 - May 17 with 1052 viewsNorthernr

Runners and riders — Column on 14:05 - May 17 by Benny_the_Ball

Or perhaps he's not ready or not good enough. Aim higher folks; we're a championship club with aspirations of the Premier League.

That's one of your biggest problems here. Expectation vs financial reality.

People are talking about Dyche, Farke, Wagner because they see us a Championship club that should be pushing for the Premier League. Expectation.

The financial reality, particularly after they pushed the boat out last season and didn't get there, is we're a club now that would be very happy to make it as far as midtable next season.

That's a tough sell to a manager with pedigree - they're going to want a package for themselves and money for players which we can't give them. And it's also a nightmare for whoever does get the job, because they're going to be judged very harshly against standards and expectations they can't possibly meet.

Very tough gig next season. If I was somebody like Liam Manning, I wouldn't touch it with a shitty stick. Look what happened with Paul Hurst at Ipswich, it could torch a young managerial career.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Runners and riders — Column on 14:16 - May 17 with 1030 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Runners and riders — Column on 13:05 - May 17 by DannytheR

If you're saying that having been a successful player is a pre-condition for a good manager (which is crackers anyway), not sure why you'd want Warburton, who *exactly like Manning* never got beyond non-league.

Ditto Wenger, Mourinho, Goran-Eriksson, etc. Great player doesn't always translate to great manager and visa-versa.

Jürgen Klopp confessed that as a player he felt more suited to a managerial role, describing himself saying "I had fourth-division feet and a first-division head".
Runners and riders — Column on 14:34 - May 17 with 998 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Runners and riders — Column on 14:10 - May 17 by Northernr

That's one of your biggest problems here. Expectation vs financial reality.

People are talking about Dyche, Farke, Wagner because they see us a Championship club that should be pushing for the Premier League. Expectation.

The financial reality, particularly after they pushed the boat out last season and didn't get there, is we're a club now that would be very happy to make it as far as midtable next season.

That's a tough sell to a manager with pedigree - they're going to want a package for themselves and money for players which we can't give them. And it's also a nightmare for whoever does get the job, because they're going to be judged very harshly against standards and expectations they can't possibly meet.

Very tough gig next season. If I was somebody like Liam Manning, I wouldn't touch it with a shitty stick. Look what happened with Paul Hurst at Ipswich, it could torch a young managerial career.

This post has been edited by an administrator

People talking about Dyche, Farke, Wagner are equally as unrealistic as those mentioning Hall. The sweet spot lies somewhere in between.

Most football clubs are running to a strict budget, it's not something that's exclusive to QPR. QPR, Luton, Huddersfield, Millwall and Coventry have all demonstrated that it is possible to compete in the championship on a modest budget.

When all is said and done, QPR are a solid championship outfit that has finished top half the past 3 seasons and possess a good core of players (Dieng, Dunne, Dickie, Amos, Willock, Chair, Dykes). Having released older, more expensive players, there will be some scope to spend and therefore a chance for the new incumbent to immediately put their stamp on the squad.

Perhaps my glass is half full but I still see that as an attractive proposition for up-and-coming managers like Manning. A tough gig, granted, but no job in the championship is easy otherwise we'd all be doing it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024