Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) 16:04 - Jun 10 with 5920 viewsdaveB

Rather marvelous news for anyone going to the US this summer, no more pre flight covid tests, although my wife didn't see the funny side after paying for our tests yesterday, 140 quid down the toilet

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2022/06/10/travel-covid-test-requireme
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 16:09 - Jun 10 with 4627 viewsCLAREMAN1995

USA has changed a lot in the last few years ,be careful going out in big cities at night and dont trust anybody .Except the 5 or 6 QPR fans on here of course.
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 16:21 - Jun 10 with 4602 viewsBklynRanger

The biggest risk in New York will be to your wallet though - the cost of eating out has gone through the roof which is quite sad.
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 16:31 - Jun 10 with 4581 viewsA40Bosh

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 16:21 - Jun 10 by BklynRanger

The biggest risk in New York will be to your wallet though - the cost of eating out has gone through the roof which is quite sad.

LA was savage too

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 16:38 - Jun 10 with 4557 viewsdmm

Thanks for the heads up, Dave. Good news for me as I'm traveling out to see my son and his family in New Jersey soon.
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 16:42 - Jun 10 with 4533 viewsted_hendrix

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 16:21 - Jun 10 by BklynRanger

I see that Tad’s Steaks in the big apple have shut down and ceased trading after nearly 60 years, sign of the times I suppose.

They were good.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 16:43 - Jun 10 with 4519 viewsthame_hoops

I just got back from a weeks stay in Baltimore. I paid £24 to a company called Qured. They send you the kit out and you book an appointment on the Internet for them to watch you use it. Then upload the result and you get a fit to fly certificate within four hours. Much cheaper than these walk~in places that charge the Earth

Edit- The exchange rate at the minute is absolutely brutal. Was such an expensive trip in terms of eating/drinking as others have said. However, still only $15 to watch the Orioles but $15 for a can of Bud light at the game is absolutely scandalous.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 16:45]
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 16:51 - Jun 10 with 4492 viewstexasranger

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 16:09 - Jun 10 by CLAREMAN1995

USA has changed a lot in the last few years ,be careful going out in big cities at night and dont trust anybody .Except the 5 or 6 QPR fans on here of course.

As a green card holder of long standing I fully agree with this advice except I would delete the words 'at night'. In the big cities a lot of crime is now being committed in broad daylight thanks to the Democrat 'catch and release' policy.
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 17:53 - Jun 10 with 4369 viewsBklynRanger

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 16:51 - Jun 10 by texasranger

As a green card holder of long standing I fully agree with this advice except I would delete the words 'at night'. In the big cities a lot of crime is now being committed in broad daylight thanks to the Democrat 'catch and release' policy.

'Long standing' - why don't you become a citizen with those considered views?
Login to get fewer ads

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 18:50 - Jun 10 with 4265 viewsbarbicanranger

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 17:53 - Jun 10 by BklynRanger

Ha ha - sounds like the right to vote would be beneficial with those views
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 09:35 - Jun 11 with 3925 viewsbosh67

Eat before you go, on the plane and take a packed lunch as well because food is miles more expensive than here. I was in New York in April. Met a mate at a bar. We had a vegan burger, regular burger, two beers and shared a dessert. No coffee or anything. $110 with the service. Would be about $80 here tops.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 11:12 - Jun 11 with 3842 viewsLazyFan

You need to watch "We Own This City"

Whereby the Police arrested so many people over so many years in Baltimore that Jury selection started to fail as people could not serve due to being falsely arrested by the police and therefore they are unable to believe any testimony from them.

This resulted in people having to be excused from Jury service due to their bias and as they had arrested so many, they struggle to get Juries to run trials.

Maybe these so-called perps should not have been arrested in the first place, seeing as most of them were innocent. Perhaps the US could try real police. But then maybe your shares in Prison companies wouldn't go up :P

zzzzzzzzzz

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 11:36 - Jun 11 with 3815 viewsBklynRanger

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 09:35 - Jun 11 by bosh67

Eat before you go, on the plane and take a packed lunch as well because food is miles more expensive than here. I was in New York in April. Met a mate at a bar. We had a vegan burger, regular burger, two beers and shared a dessert. No coffee or anything. $110 with the service. Would be about $80 here tops.

We noticed a big difference at Xmas having not been there for a couple of years. Places that used to have a dish for $14, now it's $23, and it's the same all over.

The NY Times had an article about it around the same time - from memory it seems to be a perfect storm of supply chain problems, inflation, higher wages (and worker shortages means competition between restaurants for staff) and Covid costs including the cost of building all those 'eating shed' wendy house things that will be blocking every inside lane for the next couple of years.

As mentioned you've then got the pathetically weak pound to contend with on top of all that.

Anyone going to NYC now I'd choose the warmer months so you can mix your sit down meals with a few good al fresco sandwiches (and the odd cheeky bottle of wine poured into an innocent looking water bottle.)
[Post edited 11 Jun 2022 11:41]
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 12:11 - Jun 11 with 3784 viewsWokingR

Surely this has got to be the best username ever on here ?
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 13:18 - Jun 11 with 3735 viewsthame_hoops

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 11:12 - Jun 11 by LazyFan

You need to watch "We Own This City"

Whereby the Police arrested so many people over so many years in Baltimore that Jury selection started to fail as people could not serve due to being falsely arrested by the police and therefore they are unable to believe any testimony from them.

This resulted in people having to be excused from Jury service due to their bias and as they had arrested so many, they struggle to get Juries to run trials.

Maybe these so-called perps should not have been arrested in the first place, seeing as most of them were innocent. Perhaps the US could try real police. But then maybe your shares in Prison companies wouldn't go up :P

I watched it twice! Took a little bit of time to get used to with the jumping around the timelines.
I thought it was very good, not as good as a wire obviously. John Berthnal put on a Baltimore accent perfectly.
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 13:51 - Jun 11 with 3709 viewsMatch82

It's an interesting point. My own view is that it's for more to do with pent up anger and frustration due to the pandemic, inflation etc than politics, but it's definitely worse. Feels like people just forgot how to behave in the last few years. I'm curious, in England have you seen a downtown in crime etc over the last couple of years? Are things worse there?
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 15:14 - Jun 11 with 3644 viewsBoston

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 12:11 - Jun 11 by WokingR

Surely being ‘Woke’ is this years fashionable tag?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 16:00 - Jun 11 with 3598 viewsdmm

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 15:14 - Jun 11 by Boston

Surely being ‘Woke’ is this years fashionable tag?

Woke is so 2020...
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 20:16 - Jun 11 with 3447 viewstexasranger

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 17:53 - Jun 10 by BklynRanger

Too many reasons against becoming a citizen, far outweighing my political views. Most of them are financial but the over-riding reason is that I like being a Brit.
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 20:20 - Jun 11 with 3444 viewstexasranger

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 12:11 - Jun 11 by WokingR

I agree with that.
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 01:16 - Jun 12 with 3330 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 13:51 - Jun 11 by Match82

It's an interesting point. My own view is that it's for more to do with pent up anger and frustration due to the pandemic, inflation etc than politics, but it's definitely worse. Feels like people just forgot how to behave in the last few years. I'm curious, in England have you seen a downtown in crime etc over the last couple of years? Are things worse there?

Excellent post again Match82 and great question about England and its crime.
The Chicago Tribune detailed last year in an article that 40,000 men, women and children were murdered in Chicago over a 6 decade span .100,000 wounded also and every night these numbers grow.
Their investigation covered some major cities in America like NY, Philly , Baltimore ,Atlanta ,LA etc and shocking more than 250,000 murdered and over 1 million injured.
Those numbers will stun everyone on here like myself but this killing goes on unabated .No difference about Presidents or pandemics its business as usual.
This is not trying to turn people away from visiting the US but just a heads up that with the amount of guns around nowhere is really safe which is so sad
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 05:06 - Jun 12 with 3271 viewsenfieldargh

Listening to Nedums podcast he couldn’t wait to bring his family back to sunny Manchester as even Salt Lake City he was really worried about his wife and kids whenever they went out.

Have just started his book, so maybe something on this to come

Would have thought SLC would have been one of the more tolerant places in US. Don’t know how I came to this conclusion, maybe it’s The Book of Mormon influences

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 12:00 - Jun 12 with 3116 viewsdaveB

Is Orlando the same with food price rises?
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 13:39 - Jun 12 with 3055 viewsMatch82

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 20:16 - Jun 11 by texasranger

Too many reasons against becoming a citizen, far outweighing my political views. Most of them are financial but the over-riding reason is that I like being a Brit.

Speaking as someone who recently did exactly this, you don't have to give up your British citizenship to become American. Other reasons not to do it though as you say
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 13:42 - Jun 12 with 3045 viewsMatch82

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 01:16 - Jun 12 by CLAREMAN1995

Excellent post again Match82 and great question about England and its crime.
The Chicago Tribune detailed last year in an article that 40,000 men, women and children were murdered in Chicago over a 6 decade span .100,000 wounded also and every night these numbers grow.
Their investigation covered some major cities in America like NY, Philly , Baltimore ,Atlanta ,LA etc and shocking more than 250,000 murdered and over 1 million injured.
Those numbers will stun everyone on here like myself but this killing goes on unabated .No difference about Presidents or pandemics its business as usual.
This is not trying to turn people away from visiting the US but just a heads up that with the amount of guns around nowhere is really safe which is so sad

Chicago is terrible in parts but the reality of life overall is not quite the hellacape those numbers paint. Case in point I've been here 15 years (some city some suburb) and never seen a gun, except armed cops.
Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 13:50 - Jun 12 with 3036 viewsthame_hoops

Travelling to the USA (non QPR) on 12:00 - Jun 12 by daveB

Is Orlando the same with food price rises?

It’s the exchange rate that will make it dearer. Two weeks ago I got $1.13 to £1…. I remember getting $1.8 consistently

Plus us as others have said, and the same in this country to an extent, places are just putting up their prices. Then you add on the tip.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024