Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for irish based R's 19:01 - Jun 28 with 4175 viewsHayesender

Where the hell can I get a pint of Murphys in kerry? On about my 10th pub now and all it is is Guinness

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Question for irish based R's on 19:16 - Jun 28 with 3068 viewsTomS

In my experience, that doesn't sound like a problem.

However, if you insist on staying on the dark side, then try Sean Og's in Tralee, The Laurel's in Killarney or Paddy Foley's in Kenmare.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2022 1:49]
Question for irish based R's on 19:20 - Jun 28 with 3046 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Murphy's in Killarney used to have a fine pint, Hayes (of both Murphy's and Guinness).

https://goo.gl/maps/GBN65okyrtw4CRAo8
[Post edited 28 Jun 2022 19:21]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Question for irish based R's on 19:46 - Jun 28 with 2951 viewsstowmarketrange

You sound a bit bitter.
Question for irish based R's on 20:06 - Jun 28 with 2908 viewskensalriser

Are there not more interesting beers in Ireland?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Question for irish based R's on 21:05 - Jun 28 with 2806 viewsMrSheen

Kerry Airport. Quite good.

Killarney Brewery Golden Spear and Full Circle both lovely pints.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2022 21:08]
Question for irish based R's on 23:47 - Jun 28 with 2659 viewsstowmarketrange

Question for irish based R's on 20:06 - Jun 28 by kensalriser

Are there not more interesting beers in Ireland?

There was only Guinness,Smethwicks or Harp when I first went over there in the early 80’s.
Question for irish based R's on 01:08 - Jun 29 with 2580 viewsBoston

Question for irish based R's on 23:47 - Jun 28 by stowmarketrange

There was only Guinness,Smethwicks or Harp when I first went over there in the early 80’s.

In some parts, when asking for a pint of beer, one is poured a Smithwicks.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Question for irish based R's on 01:33 - Jun 29 with 2575 viewsstowmarketrange

Question for irish based R's on 01:08 - Jun 29 by Boston

In some parts, when asking for a pint of beer, one is poured a Smithwicks.

I’m sure Harp was only for the ladies to drink.
Login to get fewer ads

Question for irish based R's on 07:36 - Jun 29 with 2439 viewsMrSheen

The continuing survival of Smithwicks is a total mystery, on a par with the Daily Express. It must be in every pub in Ireland, but I see someone buy it about once a decade.

I’d guess at least one pint in four poured in Ireland these days is cider. Very poor.
Question for irish based R's on 08:08 - Jun 29 with 2399 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I've just read about Smithwick's introduced in 1710, 312 years ago! I don't believe I've tried it though probably because it's 3.8%

I'm not a huge fan of red ales however I don't see them often.

BTW guess who's back!

https://tckty.camra.org.uk/e/70/ealing-beer-festival-2022

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Question for irish based R's on 08:24 - Jun 29 with 2374 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Question for irish based R's on 07:36 - Jun 29 by MrSheen

The continuing survival of Smithwicks is a total mystery, on a par with the Daily Express. It must be in every pub in Ireland, but I see someone buy it about once a decade.

I’d guess at least one pint in four poured in Ireland these days is cider. Very poor.

Smithwicks is basically a laxitive.

Question for irish based R's on 09:15 - Jun 29 with 2301 viewsRangers67

I remember when the Smuts used to be a pub and they took the Guinness out and put Murphys in for a few weeks and then replaced it with Beamish for a few weeks and then eventually had to admit defeat and go back to the best , Guinness.
Question for irish based R's on 09:18 - Jun 29 with 2284 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Question for irish based R's on 09:15 - Jun 29 by Rangers67

I remember when the Smuts used to be a pub and they took the Guinness out and put Murphys in for a few weeks and then replaced it with Beamish for a few weeks and then eventually had to admit defeat and go back to the best , Guinness.

Beamish is awful muck, and that's coming from a Corkman.

Guinness and Murphy's are both lovely pints. I'm not sure which prefer.

Question for irish based R's on 10:54 - Jun 29 with 2192 viewsMyke

Question for irish based R's on 09:18 - Jun 29 by BrianMcCarthy

Beamish is awful muck, and that's coming from a Corkman.

Guinness and Murphy's are both lovely pints. I'm not sure which prefer.

Agree Beamish is dire. Not sure how far north of Munster (apart from Dublin obvs) that you can get Murphy's, but it's a lovely creamy pint
Question for irish based R's on 11:12 - Jun 29 with 2154 viewsBoston

Question for irish based R's on 08:24 - Jun 29 by BrianMcCarthy

Smithwicks is basically a laxitive.

That's a load of crap, I had six bottles last night...parp.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Question for irish based R's on 11:28 - Jun 29 with 2137 viewsTheChef

Can you get Murphy's at all in the UK these days? I always liked it as a Guinness alternative (and hey I quite like Beamish too...).

I also remember back in the day at uni (mid 90s) Caffrey's being the in-thing. Does that still exist??

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Question for irish based R's on 12:51 - Jun 29 with 2044 viewsMrSheen

Generally take a dim view of all things Corkonian, but I like a pint of Beamish when I can find it. Not quite up there with Clonakilty pudden, but close.
Question for irish based R's on 13:46 - Jun 29 with 1976 viewsDannyPaddox

I haven’t seen Beamish on draught in London for years. Last pint I had was over a year ago in the Mutton Lane Inn in Cork (as recommend by Brian McC). For me there’s a hint of coffee in the flavour. I like it but a couple is usually enough. Guinness I can drink all day long - and often do.

Murphy’s I find bland and don’t see the point in it. I guess our taste buds are wired differently. I like the red ale from Cork (Franciscan Well brewery?) it has a bit of bite. Only place I’ve seen this on draught other than Cork is the Irish pub on Chiswick High Road.

If you’re partial to Beamish you might like the Wiper & True Milk Stout. Weird name sounds more like a toilet paper brand but a lovely beer. Had a few pints last night in the Southampton Arms, Kentish Town. Smashing old pub. Even had someone playing the piano accompanied by someone else on baritone sax. Great old high-ceilinged dark wood shafts of sunlight pub ambiance.

[Post edited 29 Jun 2022 13:58]
Question for irish based R's on 14:25 - Jun 29 with 1911 viewsA40Bosh

Question for irish based R's on 12:51 - Jun 29 by MrSheen

Generally take a dim view of all things Corkonian, but I like a pint of Beamish when I can find it. Not quite up there with Clonakilty pudden, but close.

I must also question Brian Mac's unquestioning subconscious negative bias towards anything from outside of the Rebel County when he refers to Kilkenny based beers as laxatives.

Once saw two one adults on a tube train in HK who were both drinking cans of Murphys though a straw.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Question for irish based R's on 14:28 - Jun 29 with 1904 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Question for irish based R's on 14:25 - Jun 29 by A40Bosh

I must also question Brian Mac's unquestioning subconscious negative bias towards anything from outside of the Rebel County when he refers to Kilkenny based beers as laxatives.

Once saw two one adults on a tube train in HK who were both drinking cans of Murphys though a straw.

I also said Beamish was muck, to be fair, Bosh.

And I like Guinness. Hard for any Corkonian to admit to liking anything from inside The Pale!

Remember 'Kilkenny' ale/beer? That was a lovely pint. Mind you, it was strong. You'd get a hangover just ordering it.

Question for irish based R's on 14:40 - Jun 29 with 1883 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Question for irish based R's on 13:46 - Jun 29 by DannyPaddox

I haven’t seen Beamish on draught in London for years. Last pint I had was over a year ago in the Mutton Lane Inn in Cork (as recommend by Brian McC). For me there’s a hint of coffee in the flavour. I like it but a couple is usually enough. Guinness I can drink all day long - and often do.

Murphy’s I find bland and don’t see the point in it. I guess our taste buds are wired differently. I like the red ale from Cork (Franciscan Well brewery?) it has a bit of bite. Only place I’ve seen this on draught other than Cork is the Irish pub on Chiswick High Road.

If you’re partial to Beamish you might like the Wiper & True Milk Stout. Weird name sounds more like a toilet paper brand but a lovely beer. Had a few pints last night in the Southampton Arms, Kentish Town. Smashing old pub. Even had someone playing the piano accompanied by someone else on baritone sax. Great old high-ceilinged dark wood shafts of sunlight pub ambiance.

[Post edited 29 Jun 2022 13:58]

This one is tasty too. I don't usually do low percentages but I wanted to try a 'small beer' thinking I'd feel like a medieval villein at harvest time. (I didn't)

Nice beer.

[Post edited 29 Jun 2022 14:41]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Question for irish based R's on 15:12 - Jun 29 with 1836 viewsBklynRanger

I tried that on your suggestion Metallica and it is indeed a thing of golden joy. My only criticism is the speed I seemed to wite through them - 12 only ever last a few days no matter how mindfully and sedately I approach them.
Question for irish based R's on 17:24 - Jun 29 with 1763 viewsMyke

Never stood in it, but apparently the cheapest pint of Guinness at just 3.90 Euro in Ireland is in Helen's Bar, Kilmackkillogue, Co. Kerry. Might be worth checking out
Question for irish based R's on 17:33 - Jun 29 with 1743 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Question for irish based R's on 17:24 - Jun 29 by Myke

Never stood in it, but apparently the cheapest pint of Guinness at just 3.90 Euro in Ireland is in Helen's Bar, Kilmackkillogue, Co. Kerry. Might be worth checking out

Only a few miles from my home place, and just across the county bounds. We'd often take the boat in for a few hours after being out fishing.

Lovely bar on the water, nice enough seafood, decent pint (Guinness better than the Murphy's, as you'd expect in Kerry due to demand and 'draw'), and Helen's a really lovely woman.

100% recommended, especially on a sunny day.

https://goo.gl/maps/fntdAM6X2x4YzchXA

Question for irish based R's on 18:05 - Jun 29 with 1715 viewsextratimeR

If you stopping at Helens (as well as excellent Murphy's), load up with some Mussels as well, beautiful spot, overlooked by Knockatee.

Had a very pleasant Pint , (or three),last Summer on the Pier at Kilmakilloge with Patsy Spillane, (old family friend), shame Bryan couldn't join us!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024