Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shakespeare 21:41 - Jul 23 with 3839 viewscolinallcars

Never rated 'im meself, you can stick it up your Corialanus.
Shakespeare on 20:57 - Jul 24 with 1222 viewsted_hendrix

His beard and moustache was a bit odd.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Shakespeare on 00:14 - Jul 25 with 1140 viewsMyke

Shakespeare on 20:57 - Jul 24 by ted_hendrix

His beard and moustache was a bit odd.

It's not just Shakespeare, but all the great poets too. Having to dissect their their work is painful for a teacher, never mind the pupils. A few years ago I asked some of my students to write a poem in any format they wanted about any topic they wanted without giving too much thought. We then dissected them line by line and found load of 'interpretations', poetic techniques etc etc, that the original 'poet' hadn't even considered or realised they were including.
Shakespeare on 00:25 - Jul 25 with 1133 viewsBoston

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Shakespeare on 11:54 - Jul 25 with 1036 viewsHarbour

Saw Othello at the Royal Opera House yesterday. Blimey jealousy lies deceit back stabbing it has the whole lot. Othello best mate tricks him into believing his wife is cheating on him. Othello kills his wife Desdemona on the strength of his mates word ….finds out he was lying and then kills himself. A dark tale!
Shakespeare on 12:04 - Jul 25 with 1031 viewsTacticalR

Shakespeare on 07:22 - Jul 24 by dmm

Ever since my English teacher took me and a few others to see Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet way, way back in the day, I've loved the Bard. Mind you, Olivia Hussey helped a bit too.

Zeffirelli's version Romeo and Juliet is a good place to start to introduce youngsters to Shakespeare, although like most Shakespeare adaptations it still has its dull moments.

In my opinion the positives of Zeffirelli's version are:
1) It captures the spirit of the original
2) It keeps the original language
3) It has a great cast
4) It has stood the test of time

Air hostess clique

Shakespeare on 12:25 - Jul 25 with 1013 viewsdmm

Shakespeare on 12:04 - Jul 25 by TacticalR

Zeffirelli's version Romeo and Juliet is a good place to start to introduce youngsters to Shakespeare, although like most Shakespeare adaptations it still has its dull moments.

In my opinion the positives of Zeffirelli's version are:
1) It captures the spirit of the original
2) It keeps the original language
3) It has a great cast
4) It has stood the test of time

5) Olivia Hussey
Shakespeare on 12:29 - Jul 25 with 1012 viewsLythamR

I am really excited by the development of the replica royal cockpit theatre at the Shakespeare North Playhouse in Prescot which is opening this month

https://shakespearenorthplayhouse.co.uk/visit-us/cockpit-theatre/

Looking forward to visiting in the autumn

I hated Shakespeare at school but had a damascus moment in my 20's and absolutely love it now, not that bothered who actually wrote the plays, they are an incredible body of works, Somebody above mentione "De Vere" as a possible author, there is a fantastic film based on this called "anonymous" which i think should have won the best film Oscar but didnt.
Shakespeare on 12:36 - Jul 25 with 1007 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Shakespeare on 17:02 - Jul 24 by derbyhoop

Saw Much Ado About Nothing in Stratford upon Avon.
Beatrice and Benedick played by Judi Dench and Donald Sinden. Fabulous entertainment.

Also saw an open air version of The Tempest whilst in Dublin. Never knew the play but enjoyed it loads.

Mrs PH and I were on a walking holiday around Cornwall a few years back, and caught a WS play at the Minack.

The venue is incredible, cut out of a cliff face. It’s well worth going to even if, like me, you’re not really into it.

Great pasties served up as well.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Shakespeare on 13:55 - Jul 25 with 985 viewsR_from_afar

I was made to study a lot of Shakespeare at school but the one play which really intrigued and entertained me was "Richard III". A lot of action, skullduggery and dark humour. I saw it performed at the National Theatre around 1980 and it was gripping stuff.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Shakespeare on 14:19 - Jul 25 with 974 viewsSonofpugwash

The best thing Willy ever (sort of) wrote.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Shakespeare on 14:21 - Jul 25 with 975 viewshubble

Shakespeare on 13:55 - Jul 25 by R_from_afar

I was made to study a lot of Shakespeare at school but the one play which really intrigued and entertained me was "Richard III". A lot of action, skullduggery and dark humour. I saw it performed at the National Theatre around 1980 and it was gripping stuff.

Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of York...

Shakespeare remains a genius of the craft - I don't buy most of the theories about his 'true' identity, although I'd be surprised if there weren't several jobbing and even well-known writers involved in the process, much like it is today with top artists who employ a team of unknowns to help create their work. Indeed, many of the top writers today often employ ghost writers to complete their books.

Hamlet's and Macbeth's soliloquys remain absolute pinnacles in literature of insight into the human condition. They have never been bettered. I hope you don't mind if I quote them here.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Macbeth's desperate, bitter world weariness speaks to anyone who has suffered, who has despaired...

Hamlet's existential angst is similarly profoundly evocative and insightful...

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, ’tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish’d. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there’s the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law’s delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover’d country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution

I mean, come on, this is just incredible writing! Shakespeare blows me away.

It didn't surprise me when they discovered he employed mind-altering substances to aid his thinking....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/william-shakespeare/11792533/Cannabi

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Shakespeare on 14:31 - Jul 25 with 959 viewsSonofpugwash

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Shakespeare on 15:39 - Jul 25 with 918 viewsBoston

Always enjoyed that one. Been (copying), giving my own version for forty years, still catches people by surprise / gives 'em a laugh.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Shakespeare on 15:46 - Jul 25 with 912 viewsHantsR

We are such stuff / As dreams are made on, and our little life / Is rounded with a sleep.

Prospero famous speech in The Tempest

Used that and heard it used in a eulogy.
Shakespeare on 03:07 - Jul 26 with 827 viewsSydneyRs

Shakespeare on 07:34 - Jul 26 with 785 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

‘Much A Doudou About Nothing’

‘A Mid Sommer Night’s Dream’

‘As you Dykes It’

‘Julius Gus Ceaser’
Shakespeare on 07:39 - Jul 26 with 774 viewsdistortR

Shakespeare on 15:46 - Jul 25 by HantsR

We are such stuff / As dreams are made on, and our little life / Is rounded with a sleep.

Prospero famous speech in The Tempest

Used that and heard it used in a eulogy.

I used that quote on the 'worst films' thread HantsR. It has real wisdom and beauty
Shakespeare on 08:58 - Jul 26 with 752 viewscolinallcars

It's amazing how many sayings people use in everyday life that are in fact from Shakespeare - wild goose chase, melt into thin air, break the ice, foregone conclusion etc.
Shakespeare on 09:15 - Jul 26 with 738 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Shakespeare on 12:36 - Jul 25 by PlanetHonneywood

Mrs PH and I were on a walking holiday around Cornwall a few years back, and caught a WS play at the Minack.

The venue is incredible, cut out of a cliff face. It’s well worth going to even if, like me, you’re not really into it.

Great pasties served up as well.

Never got Shakespeare, and I really tried. For years. Went to the Old Vic, the Young Vic, the Middle-aged Vic, all of 'em.

But would love to go to The Minack.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Shakespeare on 13:41 - Jul 26 with 691 viewsderbyhoop

When my son was told, by his Englush teacher, that they were going to read a play by Shakespeare, he corrected said teacher, saying "it's a script
It's not a play until it is performed". I don't know if teacher called him a smartarse.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024