Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Short memories 17:52 - Aug 20 with 4270 viewstraininvain

It’s a marathon not a sprint. I see people saying we’re going down, bang in trouble etc. Five games into a 46 game season.

Last season we were top 6 till February / March and finished mid table. Forest were bottom three till September / October and won promotion.

It’s far too early to draw conclusions. We’re a work in progress. Give Beale some time and let’s see how we’re doing in 10 games or so.
Short memories on 18:22 - Aug 20 with 3063 viewsessextaxiboy

I agree , but the style of play is a sickly vanilla .
Short memories on 18:26 - Aug 20 with 3032 viewsPaddyhoops

Nothing a decent striker wouldn’t sort out. Lots of chances today, none taken.
The set piece defending for the goal was piss poor again …..
Short memories on 18:29 - Aug 20 with 3011 viewstraininvain

Short memories on 18:22 - Aug 20 by essextaxiboy

It’s good in patches and not so good in other parts. But let’s be realistic, it would’ve taken a miracle worker to take this squad of players (who completely collapsed last season) along with the limited number of signings we’ve made (not to mention our ongoing injuries) and hit the ground running.

Beale knows it hence his ‘peak at the right time, late in the season’ message. It’s going to take time to turn this around.
Short memories on 18:37 - Aug 20 with 2945 viewsboysfromthebush

Compare the performances this season to the last 10 games last season. Miles better.

That's improvement for me, and we'll only get better
Short memories on 18:56 - Aug 20 with 2868 viewsridethewave

How many seasons need to pass before we admit we’re not a “work in progress”, we’re just a financially-hampered, average-at-best football team the regularly produces performances/results like that, against teams like that, in a league that itself is slowly going downhill?
Short memories on 18:59 - Aug 20 with 2852 viewsDamo1962

Short memories on 18:56 - Aug 20 by ridethewave

How many seasons need to pass before we admit we’re not a “work in progress”, we’re just a financially-hampered, average-at-best football team the regularly produces performances/results like that, against teams like that, in a league that itself is slowly going downhill?

Yep. Nothing wrong with a bit if reality. This is an unforgiving league for sure.
Short memories on 19:11 - Aug 20 with 2805 viewsessextaxiboy

Short memories on 18:29 - Aug 20 by traininvain

It’s good in patches and not so good in other parts. But let’s be realistic, it would’ve taken a miracle worker to take this squad of players (who completely collapsed last season) along with the limited number of signings we’ve made (not to mention our ongoing injuries) and hit the ground running.

Beale knows it hence his ‘peak at the right time, late in the season’ message. It’s going to take time to turn this around.

The trouble is that the not so good parts are the parts that win matches and accumulate points . Scoring goals and defending set pieces for starters
Short memories on 19:13 - Aug 20 with 2793 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

5 games 5 points not great but not a disaster. Dykes has to score that chance in the first half. Christ alive. Not sure what Chair was trying to do. It's all well and good having two feet but please use one of them! Armstrong chance wasn't easy and he went for the percentage and it didn't pay off unfortunately.

Their number 11 Ogbene looks useful at this level and man of the match for me. It would have been a comfortable win but for him.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Short memories on 19:30 - Aug 20 with 2744 viewstraininvain

Short memories on 18:56 - Aug 20 by ridethewave

But it’s all relative. We’re a work in progress in the context of Beale’s reign as manager and this season.
Short memories on 19:32 - Aug 20 with 2734 viewsdaveB

Short memories on 19:13 - Aug 20 by CliveWilsonSaid

5 games 5 points not great but not a disaster. Dykes has to score that chance in the first half. Christ alive. Not sure what Chair was trying to do. It's all well and good having two feet but please use one of them! Armstrong chance wasn't easy and he went for the percentage and it didn't pay off unfortunately.

Their number 11 Ogbene looks useful at this level and man of the match for me. It would have been a comfortable win but for him.

Thought the Armstreong and Chair chances were far worse misses than Dykes one
Short memories on 19:36 - Aug 20 with 2722 viewsWegerles_Stairs

We've drawn with two of the teams who came up last season and lost at home to Blackpool. I do wonder what Beale was told as the squad is seriously lacking in depth. If we don't get a striker in, I think we'll be at the wrong end of the table unfortunately. Dykes has no anticipation - there was a cross in the second half where if he'd gambled and made a run towards the ball, he could have connected, but he just stood at the far post waiting. Get a natural striker and we'll be fine.
Short memories on 19:54 - Aug 20 with 2665 viewsdmm

Thank you for injecting some sanity, traininvain. Honestly, sometimes this board stoops to Twitter level of madness.

Sure things aren't brilliant but I thought most had agreed we would likely be slow out of the blocks this season? Of course things could/should have been better and I've got a few questions about Beale. But, let's give it a couple of months at least before writing off Beale, the players, evil Les and Jude the cat.
Short memories on 21:08 - Aug 20 with 2524 viewsDannyPaddox

Short memories on 18:22 - Aug 20 by essextaxiboy

I get that we should give Beale (or any new manager time). But some of the issues are nothing to do with players, players gelling, or the team starting slow they’re just bad decisions from the off by the coaching staff.

Generally the shape is too narrow. The lack of width leads to a congested middle so when we do have (or win) the ball we can’t move it quickly enough up the field. The defensive set up at corners and free-kicks when we have all eleven players defend and leave no one up for a counter is just plain wrong coupled with zonal marking thin air around the 6-yard box only for the oppo to line up on the edge of the penalty area and take pot-shots at our goal. We’ve conceded a few in this manner already.

It may be sickly vanilla now but if the style of play isn’t changed it’ll soon be rocky road.
Short memories on 21:11 - Aug 20 with 2499 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Short memories on 19:32 - Aug 20 by daveB

Thought the Armstreong and Chair chances were far worse misses than Dykes one

Watching the Armstrong chance back in the highlights i agree. It looked more difficult live. I actually thought he took it with his left foot.

Chair chance no idea how he didn't get something on it.

Dykes chance was basically a penalty and he should have scored.

Short memories on 21:43 - Aug 20 with 2402 viewsParkRoyalR

Short memories on 21:11 - Aug 20 by CliveWilsonSaid

Watching the Armstrong chance back in the highlights i agree. It looked more difficult live. I actually thought he took it with his left foot.

Basically a penalty, what absolute nonsense, if that's basically a penalty how do you best describe Armstrong and particularly Chairs misses? Maybe a sitter and miss of the season? Have a day off.
Short memories on 21:48 - Aug 20 with 2372 viewsLadbrokeR

Short memories on 21:11 - Aug 20 by CliveWilsonSaid

I recall Laird having a reasonable chance up the loft end.
Short memories on 21:49 - Aug 20 with 2362 viewsthame_hoops

It’s 46 x Sprints
Short memories on 21:54 - Aug 20 with 2348 viewsLadbrokeR

It’s a squad without a tremendous amount of strength in depth. We’re creating chances. It’s a long season. Catastrophising after today’s result is a bit premature.
Short memories on 22:21 - Aug 20 with 2297 viewsDannyPaddox

We were 3 up against Boro, not even half-time in our first home game of the season, and I was catastrophising. I just instinctively felt very worried about the way we were set up.

For context I also think there a lot of positives about the team. Seny and the centre-backs are solid. We do create chances and Willock, Chair, and Roberts are all exciting players to watch. And for the most I see commitment and desire in the team.
Short memories on 22:36 - Aug 20 with 2249 viewsdannyblue

Disappointing results this week obviously.

I thought today's 4231 suited us much better. We had width and solidity.

We also had probably our strongest 11 on the pitch for the first time. Maybe JCS for Dunne (who's got too many poor panicky clearances in his repetoire), and maybe Dozzell for Johansson (we might find out after today's injury). Richards and Armstrong give us something else too.

Always a delight to watch Willock and Chair interplay, and I think Roberts can contribute to it and also add physicality to it. Dykes is having a rough time, but he's streaky, and I can see him suddenly scoring 5 in 5.

If we can keep the 15 mentioned together and fit for the season we'll be fine.
Short memories on 22:44 - Aug 20 with 2230 viewspaulparker

Happy clappers will keep on clapping
All is well in the camp, we can’t beat Sunderland, Charlton ,Blackpool or Rotherham it’s a privilege just to be on the pitch with these footballing giants imo

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Short memories on 22:50 - Aug 20 with 2185 viewstraininvain

Short memories on 22:44 - Aug 20 by paulparker

Happy clappers will keep on clapping
All is well in the camp, we can’t beat Sunderland, Charlton ,Blackpool or Rotherham it’s a privilege just to be on the pitch with these footballing giants imo

No one’s saying all is well. It not been a good start and we clearly have issues. But it’s a long season and plenty of time for Beale to turn it round, that’s his job after all.

The point is that it’s early days and anyone expecting an immediate upturn in form / fortune following our collapse at the end of last season is a bit deluded.
Short memories on 22:55 - Aug 20 with 2158 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Short memories on 22:36 - Aug 20 by dannyblue

Disappointing results this week obviously.

I thought today's 4231 suited us much better. We had width and solidity.

We also had probably our strongest 11 on the pitch for the first time. Maybe JCS for Dunne (who's got too many poor panicky clearances in his repetoire), and maybe Dozzell for Johansson (we might find out after today's injury). Richards and Armstrong give us something else too.

Always a delight to watch Willock and Chair interplay, and I think Roberts can contribute to it and also add physicality to it. Dykes is having a rough time, but he's streaky, and I can see him suddenly scoring 5 in 5.

If we can keep the 15 mentioned together and fit for the season we'll be fine.

I thought Amos was the missing ingredient today. Although not sure who drops out.

Short memories on 22:58 - Aug 20 with 2133 viewspaulparker

Short memories on 22:50 - Aug 20 by traininvain

No one’s saying all is well. It not been a good start and we clearly have issues. But it’s a long season and plenty of time for Beale to turn it round, that’s his job after all.

The point is that it’s early days and anyone expecting an immediate upturn in form / fortune following our collapse at the end of last season is a bit deluded.

Yeah proper deluded that we can’t beat Blackpool & Rotherham, I must have a reality check

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Short memories on 23:00 - Aug 20 with 2132 viewsdannyblue

Short memories on 22:55 - Aug 20 by CliveWilsonSaid

I thought Amos was the missing ingredient today. Although not sure who drops out.

Actually forgot about him. Add him to the list. He could play next to Field in the 2 of the 4231
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024