Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You Have To Emigrate 10:32 - Sep 5 with 12301 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A combination of the local constabulary, the revenue and VAR have given you no choice. You have to go.

But you can live anywhere in the World you like. You have enough cash but you'll need a local job just to keep bread on the table.

Where's the dream?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

You Have To Emigrate on 10:39 - Sep 5 with 6151 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Guéthary.

I think this would do for me. A small village in the Basque Country, just south of Biarritz. A nice climate, nice local food and wine, a language I could re-learn in time and a sweet reef wave in the harbour for sunrise and sunset surfs.

During the day, I'd probably take a job waiting at the café on the pier, giving surf tips to the passing surf groms. "A nine inch centre fin, Mademoiselle? Non, non, non, may I suggest a three-fin set-up for sharper turns? C'est Moi".

I could see out my years there.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 10:40]

You Have To Emigrate on 10:44 - Sep 5 with 6115 viewsRs_Holy

Taormina in Sicily. Food, wine, climate, architecture, stunning views the list goes on and on...

https://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/taormina-i-si-ta.htm
You Have To Emigrate on 10:54 - Sep 5 with 6060 viewsBrianMcCarthy

You Have To Emigrate on 10:44 - Sep 5 by Rs_Holy

Taormina in Sicily. Food, wine, climate, architecture, stunning views the list goes on and on...

That looks unreal!

You Have To Emigrate on 10:57 - Sep 5 with 6048 viewseastside_r

You Have To Emigrate on 10:44 - Sep 5 by Rs_Holy

Certainly is a beautiful place>
You Have To Emigrate on 11:28 - Sep 5 with 5910 viewsRamseyR

San Sebastian for me. Food, climate, scenery, not too many Brits
You Have To Emigrate on 11:29 - Sep 5 with 5905 viewscolinallcars

South Africa….

Road
You Have To Emigrate on 11:32 - Sep 5 with 5893 viewsloftboy

Any of the Greek Islands, get a job doing quizzes and bingo in the hotels.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

You Have To Emigrate on 11:34 - Sep 5 with 5879 viewsdanehoop

Tough choice between Copenhagen and Ljubljana, Slovenia.

Copenhagen is just a damn great place to live as a Brit expat. Comparatively expensive (though salaries tend to be higher to compensate) great people, plenty to do, good housing, education and healthcare. Great beer and food. Transport infrastructure is good and language isn't too hard to get to grips with (although in Copenhagen most Danes speak excellent English). Familiar enough to settle down in, different enough to enjoy. Downsides, weather is more like Glasgow than Greece, taxation is high (though again to be fair, the overall benefit to society of having well funded public services and good infrastructure more than make up) and its a bit too close to the UK so that there are too many Brits around, or at least used to be.

Ljubljana is a beautiful little city, with a great climate, hot summers and cold winters with real snow. Its an incredibly beautiful country of lakes, mountains and a few Adriatic towns close by. Comparatively cheap to live in with nice people. Language is tougher though and culturally very different. Food is very good, with regional offerings influenced heavily by neighbouring countries and Italian food on the Adriatic coast (an hour's drive away) particularly good. You have good ski slopes less than hour from Ljubljana, great food, amazing wines (some of the best I have ever drunk) some good beers as well. Geographically its well placed too, being located between Austria, Hungary, Italy and Croatia there is always somewhere a relatively close by to escape to.

Downsides, it is smaller than most European capitals, so can be less exciting/interesting after a while perhaps. Winter can be very cold with genuine deep snow and I don't ski, so all of the alpine stuff doesn't quite have same appeal. That said, it was my go to chill out holiday for about 10 years because it was just a total change of pace and so relaxing.

Never knowingly understood

Login to get fewer ads

You Have To Emigrate on 11:46 - Sep 5 with 5846 viewsRs_Holy

You Have To Emigrate on 10:54 - Sep 5 by BrianMcCarthy

That looks unreal!

put it on your bucket list Brian
You Have To Emigrate on 11:53 - Sep 5 with 5834 viewsLongsufferingR

New Zealand. Preferably with no other fcker within 10 miles.
You Have To Emigrate on 12:21 - Sep 5 with 5748 viewsQPRSteve

Wolfsburg, Germany, so I can get a job in the Schäferbusch restaurant,
You Have To Emigrate on 12:25 - Sep 5 with 5730 viewslondonscottish

I was going to say somewhere between Bordeaux & Biarritz.

Love that part of of France, not too many Brits, endless beautiful villages and towns with the odd city to liven things up. Fabulous beaches, some great food.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

You Have To Emigrate on 12:28 - Sep 5 with 5723 viewsted_hendrix

Any where in or around the Umbrian hills of Assissi preferably Monte Subasio.

Failing that an old wooden shed along side of the Mississippi River.

Hey Joe.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

You Have To Emigrate on 13:55 - Sep 5 with 5544 viewsAberystwythR

Prague or another major Czech city for me
You Have To Emigrate on 14:04 - Sep 5 with 5513 viewsLblock

Cyprus.

Not been in years and I really miss the place.
Very slanted towards the UK but unfortunately also a huge Russian influence there as well. Unbeatable climate, loving bit's of the coast and not that expensive.

I would say Ibiza, specifically Es Cana, but its got a bit more pretentious with each passing year.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

You Have To Emigrate on 14:06 - Sep 5 with 5496 viewsSonofpugwash

Mars.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

You Have To Emigrate on 14:17 - Sep 5 with 5486 viewsboobishabang

Norway, just returned from a cruise of the Fjords, stunning place, hardly a soul anywhere, clean & pure air.........
You Have To Emigrate on 14:21 - Sep 5 with 5463 viewsHAYESBOY

Maldives. Beautiful place and I could definitely live there.

Or Beirut. Lovely this time of year.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 14:58]

Smells like a trout farm in here

You Have To Emigrate on 14:33 - Sep 5 with 5435 viewsE17hoop

Gozo.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

You Have To Emigrate on 14:43 - Sep 5 with 5403 viewsTomS

I'd love to go to Nice on the French Riviera. I have always enjoyed the relaxed, unpretentious vibe there which sets it apart from other places along that coast.
You Have To Emigrate on 14:45 - Sep 5 with 5402 viewsBklynRanger

I can never answer the absolutely anywhere question for some reason, but as the wife has now finally qualified to apply for her UK passport (and I'm re-applying for my Irish one) we've been thinking more and more about where we might go next.

Cities are the thing for us - with a good regular dollop of proper nature. Current option, bit controversial: Naples. Yes, a shithole to many, I know, but love the intensity of the place, the density - it's a bit like a European version of Saigon. Plus it's within easy reach of a lot of beautiful scenery and is very affordable compared to a lot of other parts of Europe. Lots of really interesting apartments scattered across the various areas. And with remote working what's the point of paying London prices to show your face once or twice a month?

Would also love Hong Kong but it's currently a bit fcuked politically, but I'd never write it off.

For a more natural setting possibly Patagonia, more likely the Chilean part in terms of friends/family connections - beautiful place with a real sense of space and being away from it all.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 14:47]
You Have To Emigrate on 15:09 - Sep 5 with 5338 viewsted_hendrix

You Have To Emigrate on 14:45 - Sep 5 by BklynRanger

I can never answer the absolutely anywhere question for some reason, but as the wife has now finally qualified to apply for her UK passport (and I'm re-applying for my Irish one) we've been thinking more and more about where we might go next.

Cities are the thing for us - with a good regular dollop of proper nature. Current option, bit controversial: Naples. Yes, a shithole to many, I know, but love the intensity of the place, the density - it's a bit like a European version of Saigon. Plus it's within easy reach of a lot of beautiful scenery and is very affordable compared to a lot of other parts of Europe. Lots of really interesting apartments scattered across the various areas. And with remote working what's the point of paying London prices to show your face once or twice a month?

Would also love Hong Kong but it's currently a bit fcuked politically, but I'd never write it off.

For a more natural setting possibly Patagonia, more likely the Chilean part in terms of friends/family connections - beautiful place with a real sense of space and being away from it all.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 14:47]

*Cities are the thing for us*

I understand that about Cities but It's not the ideal place for me, been to a fair few Cities around the planet, Your old hunting ground the big apple I've done five times mainly as a flight stop over and much as it Is a great City, (which It Is) a couple of day's and I/we gotta get outta there.

Quiteness, solitude, throw in a bit of scenery and a lack of people yapping away with there KODAK Mini Shot 2 Retro Instant Camera's hanging around there necks and I'm quite happily stoned of my bonce.

The Arizona Desert does It for me too, It's awesome you gotta get out of the car and just take It all In.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

You Have To Emigrate on 15:27 - Sep 5 with 5285 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Akureyri, Iceland

You Have To Emigrate on 15:45 - Sep 5 with 5253 viewsBklynRanger

You Have To Emigrate on 15:09 - Sep 5 by ted_hendrix

*Cities are the thing for us*

I understand that about Cities but It's not the ideal place for me, been to a fair few Cities around the planet, Your old hunting ground the big apple I've done five times mainly as a flight stop over and much as it Is a great City, (which It Is) a couple of day's and I/we gotta get outta there.

Quiteness, solitude, throw in a bit of scenery and a lack of people yapping away with there KODAK Mini Shot 2 Retro Instant Camera's hanging around there necks and I'm quite happily stoned of my bonce.

The Arizona Desert does It for me too, It's awesome you gotta get out of the car and just take It all In.

Know what you mean - I've often thought I'll end up halfway up a mountain somewhere in the Western US - the hermit life. That shack on the Mississippi isn't impossible either.

But I don't know how healthy that would be for me to be honest. Solitude followed by non-solitude seems to work best. That doesn't mean I'd ever want to anywhere near the Kodak Mini Shot locations of any city - they've all got them and I avoid them all like the plague.

A year of two in a good sized RV is also very appealing - met a couple in New Mexico who had sold their house to do it - don't think it's that uncommon really. You'd see plenty of desert doing that.
You Have To Emigrate on 16:31 - Sep 5 with 5146 viewsSir_Chops

I'd go to Crete, buying a home like this one:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/126636203?currencyCode=GBP#/?channel=OVER

Then I'd brew mead with the local honey, which would become legendary and earn the income needed to put bread on the table!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024