Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA World Cup thread. 12:02 - Nov 15 with 121970 viewsSnipper

I’m trying to get excited about this World Cup, but to no avail :-((.

I’ve just watched Sky Sports World Cup preview with Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher & Karen Carney. Utterly depressing viewing. Same old, same old. Picking players for the starting XI not playing for their clubs, or totally off form.

I’m hoping this thread can get the juices flowing.

Do any of you think England have a chance?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:14 - Nov 15 with 17565 viewsDubaiR

No. I think we will struggle in the group.

Lacklustre win Vs Iran
Draw with wales
And a draw against USA

First good side we come up against we will be in way home. Been very fortunate with last two tournaments with our route. Ukrain and Denmark were so so if we had played Spain we wouldn’t have made the final
FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:51 - Nov 15 with 17502 viewsstowmarketrange

This is the 1st World Cup in 52 years that I haven’t even bothered to look at the fixtures.I heard that England and Wales are both playing next Monday,but that’s all I know.
No doubt the tv coverage will increase over the next 4 weeks,but I’m not sure I’ll even watch the England games.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:11 - Nov 15 with 17413 viewswood_hoop

this might help ....

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:26 - Nov 15 with 17392 viewsenfieldargh

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:11 - Nov 15 by wood_hoop

this might help ....

I heard that some of the England Band (who I cant stand; up there with voovoozalas) are being sponsored by the Qataries to promote positive feed back, been given superior(subsidised) accom and free match tickets.

In return they have to post positve stuff on social media and allow Qatar media to follow them arond a bit.

OPening game Qatar V Ecuador does clash with the SFL Cup match between Broomhill v Alloa Athletic so match choice there

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:54 - Nov 15 with 17333 viewskingsburyR

I cannot be arsed with this world cup.

Bullsh!t time of year in a bullsh!t location.

How can the whole tournament be held in a country the same size as Yorkshire???

I'm halfway through the "FIFA Uncovered" documentary on Netflix.

Christ the lot of them are as corrupt as fu(k!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:56 - Nov 15 with 17301 viewsSharpy36

this might help ....

A part of me just died

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:27 - Nov 15 with 17228 viewshubble

This is the least excited I've been before a world cup, ever. No idea when any of the fixtures are, apart from the game on Monday. Only just realised that the family event we've booked on the 18th of December is the same time as the final, and I'm really not bothered.

Agree with all the other comments above. This is a joke world cup that has finally put the last nail in the coffin of credibility around the once beautiful game. It's vulgar in every way possible. It epitomises the existential emptiness at the heart of modern life.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:33 - Nov 15 with 17208 viewskensalriser

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:26 - Nov 15 by enfieldargh

I heard that some of the England Band (who I cant stand; up there with voovoozalas) are being sponsored by the Qataries to promote positive feed back, been given superior(subsidised) accom and free match tickets.

In return they have to post positve stuff on social media and allow Qatar media to follow them arond a bit.

OPening game Qatar V Ecuador does clash with the SFL Cup match between Broomhill v Alloa Athletic so match choice there

They are indeed paid shills. Grubby business all round.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:40 - Nov 15 with 17192 viewsderbyhoop

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:26 - Nov 15 by enfieldargh

Broomhill vs Alloa sounds the more entertaining option.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:47 - Nov 15 with 17016 viewsdaveB

I'm quite looking forward to it, I get the criticisms of where it is held and agree with them but looking forward to the actual football.

I think it will be tough for England especially in that heat. Can see the group being a struggle, the other 3 teams are not as bad as some of the pundits are making out and we don't have many goals in us. If England can get to the quarters they've done well imo and they have a chance if they get that far and build some momentum but the centre halves just not good enough when you get to the later stages imo

There is so much doom and gloom about England though, a lot of people seem desperate for it to go wrong for them, shame as they are quite a likeable group of players and manager

Think Argentina will win it though.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2022 17:59]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:55 - Nov 15 with 17008 viewsHAYESBOY

Not up for this World Cup at all. It's in Qatar?? And has been squeezed in between the season as an afterthought.
Will watch some of the games but generally not arsed.

Smells like a trout farm in here

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:58 - Nov 15 with 16996 viewsdaveB

this might help ....

Is this any different to what happened in previous world cups with those weird paid fans in the stadium always shown on tv posing at the right moments
FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:04 - Nov 15 with 16963 viewsJuzzie

I'll watch but can't say I'm really excited about it.

As for England I think the Euro's were our best bet for a long awaited trophy.
Although the World Cup is just 18 months later rather than the usual 2 years I think we've peaked already.

It will be absolutely hyped to death though and then once it's over there will be a handful of stadiums going to waste and thousands of tombstones to remember it by.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:28 - Nov 15 with 16910 viewsdmm

I am rather conflicted about watching it on streaming/tv.

I feel I should boycott it all together given the shocking death toll of workers building the stadia, the many human rights issues in Qatar, the despicable corruption within FIFA, and the rest.

But, I love football and, although as many have already said, the World Cup isn't the spectacle it used to be, I will be drawn to watch at least some games.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:35 - Nov 15 with 16893 viewsEsox_Lucius

It's not a tournament for football fans, so I won't be watching any of it. No integrity shown by any of the major teams. Blatter et al should be in prison.

The grass is always greener.

FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:37 - Nov 15 with 16890 viewsenfieldargh

Think this should be sung non stop by all fans, even if your not

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:21 - Nov 15 with 16755 viewsLblock

No wall chart

No flag out

Minimal interest... I may even watch Monday at a corporate event via work. My life.....

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:44 - Nov 15 with 16745 viewsPlanetHonneywood

this might help ....

Looking at the picture of the 'England fans' it seems the BBC have been fooled as well. I urge you to avoid the interview with Kane, asked the most banal questions imaginable.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63640603

I was told a few years back that Q would ensure seats were full and that they'd basically co-opt people into being fans. I guess they were right and this is what their plan was.

Utterly hilarious.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 06:53 - Nov 16 with 16417 viewsSydneyRs

Just a really strange feel to it all. Not in the right place or time.

England? Yes, there is a chance as national teams are not at the level of top club sides but they've not exactly been playing well in their most recent games and as mentioned the defence seems a bit iffy.

I think its time for Southgate to move on afterwards with appreciation for what he's done and the culture he's built. He can leave the role with his head held high, assuming this WC isn't a complete embarrassment. Time for someone who might be able to get the best out of the high amount otf talent available to England over the next few years.

Once it starts I'll probably get more interested.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:58 - Nov 16 with 16308 viewsDannyPaddox

I’m with Zammo on this one.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:03 - Nov 16 with 16290 viewsJuzzie

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:44 - Nov 15 by PlanetHonneywood

Looking at the picture of the 'England fans' it seems the BBC have been fooled as well. I urge you to avoid the interview with Kane, asked the most banal questions imaginable.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63640603

I was told a few years back that Q would ensure seats were full and that they'd basically co-opt people into being fans. I guess they were right and this is what their plan was.

Utterly hilarious.

Oh, yeah, I've seen them. They the North West League 2 England supporters club. Travel all over the place they do.....

....ffs...

As for the interview with Kane, they are pretty pointless these days. Players are hardly going to answer the question any other way than what the question intends to yield.

Q "How does it feel to finally be here?"
A "Horrible. It's too hot and it's the middle of the night, really would rather be at home and not participate in the World Cup regardless of where it's held"

Q "In Russia, one step away from the final, how much are you looking forward for that opportunity to go one step further?"
A "Get to the final? nah, what's the point really"

Q "In four weeks time you could be leaving with a little extra baggae, how much does that excite you?"
A "yeah, have you seen the quality of the hotel towels?"

[Post edited 16 Nov 2022 11:07]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:15 - Nov 16 with 16222 viewsSonofpugwash

I've just got a feeling this tourny won't go ahead in its entirety.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:29 - Nov 16 with 16179 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:28 - Nov 15 by dmm

I am rather conflicted about watching it on streaming/tv.

I feel I should boycott it all together given the shocking death toll of workers building the stadia, the many human rights issues in Qatar, the despicable corruption within FIFA, and the rest.

But, I love football and, although as many have already said, the World Cup isn't the spectacle it used to be, I will be drawn to watch at least some games.

What is the death toll as the numbers seem different depending on where you go. Some say 15,000, some say 6,000, the Gary Neville doc the other night the bloke said it was just 3 people who died when he spoke to an organiser. So hard to get to the truth these days
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:38 - Nov 16 with 16138 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Fake / paid for fans? Never!

Having said that I don’t see any plastic chairs flying about.

[Post edited 16 Nov 2022 10:42]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:48 - Nov 16 with 16100 viewsLoftgirl

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:27 - Nov 15 by hubble

This is the least excited I've been before a world cup, ever. No idea when any of the fixtures are, apart from the game on Monday. Only just realised that the family event we've booked on the 18th of December is the same time as the final, and I'm really not bothered.

Agree with all the other comments above. This is a joke world cup that has finally put the last nail in the coffin of credibility around the once beautiful game. It's vulgar in every way possible. It epitomises the existential emptiness at the heart of modern life.

I didn't even realise England were playing on Monday. Roll on December 11th.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024