Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Limited players that you have to have in a team 16:32 - Jan 22 with 5430 viewsLogman

As I get older and become more and more disillusioned with talented players who don't realise their potential I take a perverse pleasure from seeing more limited players whose commitment, desire and ethic make up for their lack of finesse.

Currently, for me, Jimmy Dunne and Rob Dickie would always get in the team ahead of the more cultured Leon Balogun and Jake Clarke Salter.

Which less talented players through the eras would you have put in for their work rate or uplifting effects on the team ?

I'm interested to know because I haven't watched us all though my years since my first game and I'm interested to know which players hauled us over the line in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 16:33]
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 16:35 - Jan 22 with 4197 viewsBushRanger82

Simon Barker in the 80s stands out for me. Not the most cultured, or gifted, of midfielders, but his workrate during a game was second to none.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 16:44 - Jan 22 with 4157 viewsqpr_1968

mick leach, 60s and 70s.
good shout with simon barker.
liked gary penrice when he played.
stewart wardley forA season.

i'm sure/know there are a good few others.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 16:49 - Jan 22 with 4136 viewsTGRRRSSS

Shaun Derry he really was the captain of the title winning team and definetly squeezed out every ounce of talent he ever had.

Probably not quite the right player but I often think of Ainsworth in these terms too, he was quite talented though but hell he worked his arse off.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 16:49 - Jan 22 with 4134 viewshantssi

Steve Palmer under Holloway and Holloway himself did the running for Wilkins.
Gary Waddock under TV.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 16:53 - Jan 22 with 4121 viewsMedwayR

Holloway, Derry, Hill and Mackie spring to mind. I’d also say Marcus Bignot.

Poll: Who’s better?

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 17:26 - Jan 22 with 4067 viewsCateLeBonR

Karl Henry mainly for his contributions in the championship for us. Not sure we'd have made it to the playoffs in 2013 without him and think we'd have struggled more when we came back down in 2015.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 17:40 - Jan 22 with 4014 viewsQPRSteve

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 16:44 - Jan 22 by qpr_1968

mick leach, 60s and 70s.
good shout with simon barker.
liked gary penrice when he played.
stewart wardley forA season.

i'm sure/know there are a good few others.

I wouldn't say Mick Leach was limited - more very underrated.

I'd add Gary Micklewhite.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 17:53 - Jan 22 with 3973 viewssilverbirch

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 16:35 - Jan 22 by BushRanger82

Simon Barker in the 80s stands out for me. Not the most cultured, or gifted, of midfielders, but his workrate during a game was second to none.

That’s a bit harsh on barker, I think. He was likened to Gaza, when we signed him, if I recall correctly. He competed for a place with Holloway and lost out when we needed a more industrious piano carrier
Login to get fewer ads

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 18:42 - Jan 22 with 3890 viewsLoyalitat

The more I watch this current squad, I can't help but think of Dominic Ball. Not necessarily always starting, but he would have been useful in situations like yesterday and against Sheffield United. Not afraid to put a foot in/break up play and face up to the opponent when required.

He's also very vocal, which contrasts starkly to most of our current squad.

IMHO it was wrong to get rid of him last summer, injury at Ipswich Town notwithstanding.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 18:55 - Jan 22 with 3854 viewscolinallcars

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 18:42 - Jan 22 by Loyalitat

The more I watch this current squad, I can't help but think of Dominic Ball. Not necessarily always starting, but he would have been useful in situations like yesterday and against Sheffield United. Not afraid to put a foot in/break up play and face up to the opponent when required.

IMHO it was wrong to get rid of him last summer, injury at Ipswich Town notwithstanding.

Certainly Dom Ball and Barbet.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 18:59 - Jan 22 with 3835 viewsdmm

Bob Malcolm anyone?
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 19:01 - Jan 22 with 3840 viewskernowhoop

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 16:35 - Jan 22 by BushRanger82

He also suffered a lot of abuse from the QPR fans.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 19:07 - Jan 22 with 3825 viewsCateLeBonR

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 18:42 - Jan 22 by Loyalitat

Yeh I'd have Dom Ball over Dozzell anyday. Unfortunately for him he was very much a Warbs man which is why he had to go when the new man came in. Similar to Barbet.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 19:32 - Jan 22 with 3748 viewsCamberleyR

Slightly harsh on Barker in tagging him as limited. When Don Howe was still manager in early 1990 he was playing superbly, epitomised by his MOTM performance in the FA Cup sixth round match against Liverpool that was live on the telly, where he made Wilkins' goal and scored a superb equaliser at the Loft End.

It is on record somewhere that he was on the verge of an England call up at the time but a few weeks after he broke his leg at home against Man City.

There is usually someone that makes a late run into the England squad just before a World Cup and it could have been him that year joining his team mate Parker, he could quite easily have taken Webb, McMahon or Hodge's places.

Sadly I don't think he was quite the same player when he came back.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 19:57 - Jan 22 with 3690 viewsSK_hoops

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 19:07 - Jan 22 by CateLeBonR

Yeh I'd have Dom Ball over Dozzell anyday. Unfortunately for him he was very much a Warbs man which is why he had to go when the new man came in. Similar to Barbet.

Same. Dom Ball very rarely gave less than his all, however limited he was. Dozzell I'm not sure you can say that about.

His screamer against Cardiff was such a lift during depressing lockdown times. I'll remember that goal for years to come
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 19:58]
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 20:41 - Jan 22 with 3603 viewsBluce_Ree

yeah there's often too many 5ft something quick fellas with fast feet but no brains.

What you need is a defender who'll stick to his man. A Danny Maddix, just shutting fools down. Not there to play the ball out nicely.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 21:03 - Jan 22 with 3564 viewsHunterhoop

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 19:07 - Jan 22 by CateLeBonR

Not entirely true. He was a Warburton man originally, but I’m sure I read from Clive that they fell out in those last few months over Hendrick’s signing. Warburton stopped playing him in the second half of last season.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 22:02 - Jan 22 with 3465 viewsGroveR

Big Danny Shittu.

I remember his debut, we got dicked by Peterborough (standard) and it must have taken him all of 4 minutes to clean someone out, grinning like a kid who'd never played the game before. My mate said he'd come from Carshalton and I said he needs to go back there. Walking red card was my first thought. And he went with 5 minutes left.

And yet... he was a player who elevated others. He formed a great pairing with Clarke Carlisle (definitely in the players who don't realise their potential bucket) and you could rely on Clarke for the cultured ball and Dan for a bit of casual violence. And striding forward while everyone was terrified of putting a foot in. And rattling the bar from 40-odd yards.

Abiding memory - him returning from an ACL (he'd tried to "run off") against Brighton away and roaring "I'M BACK! I'M FÙCKING BACK!" from the portacabin they gave us as an away dressing room.

Limited, but would have been first on my team sheet.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 22:03 - Jan 22 with 3462 viewsBoston

Terry Mancini.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 22:07 - Jan 22 with 3446 viewsdanehoop

Stuart Wardley - limited player but oddly effective in our set up for a short period of time

Never knowingly understood

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 23:14 - Jan 22 with 3331 viewsQPunkR

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 22:07 - Jan 22 by danehoop

Stuart Wardley - limited player but oddly effective in our set up for a short period of time

Wardley’s main attribute was simply popping up in the box at the exactly right moment. He was absolutely on fire that season

QPR - "shit but local"

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 23:42 - Jan 22 with 3288 viewsnumptydumpty

I got vague memories of always enjoying Wayne Feredays contributions usually as the only sub back in the day.

Darren Peacock was fabulous in defence.

Another player who I enjoyed watching although can't understand why was Nigel Quashie.

Rufus Brevett also. Bit all Action was Rufus and the famous song.

He scores with his left foot,

He scores with his left foot,

And when we play the Chelsea,

He scores with his left foot.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 00:09 - Jan 23 with 3266 viewsTomS

I thought Quashie was one of our better players in that era.

This might be controversial, but I'd include Marc Bircham in this conversation. Lovely guy, Rangers through and through, but I thought he was a limited but fully committed player.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 00:34 - Jan 23 with 3243 viewsaston_hoop

I'm absolutely not having Dickie down as a limited player, I'd put him right up there as one of the more cultured centre backs around on his day. Balogun on the other hand far less so. Strange how people see things I suppose. Dickie and Dunne to me have been a real issue in recent games, I think Clarke-Salter has to step in and play at some point if he can stay fit.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 05:53 - Jan 23 with 3152 viewsThe_Beast1976

Simon Barker a good shout (although a bit of a debate as to whether he was 'limited'). As someone else has said, he wasn't the same after he broke his leg though.

Ian Holloway another contender.

Devon 'Bruno' White perhaps?

And Danny Shittu (remember the Brighton away game well. I'm back. What a ledge)
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 5:58]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024