Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth 21:19 - Feb 4 with 9632 viewsdamienhoops68

Mentioned this a couple of weeks ago he is well out of his depth of and was told I was being to haisty. Really who thinks that still.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 19:37 - Feb 5 with 1716 viewsManinBlack

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 12:11 - Feb 5 by golborne

There’s a whiff of Goodison around here…
The club are doing exactly what they’ve said their plan is, apart from the bringing players through- but let’s face it, there’s nothing there that looks anywhere near as good as our loans. Loans we need, as we’re skint. Balogan being the exception, but wart faces fortunes changed when he came in. Anybody remember the first 4-5 games? Simply put, he’s our best, and most commanding central defender by some distance.
I think on better days most agree we have a solid set of players, but unfortunately a lot evolves around three of them. One, our only leader, has been injured through much of this run. Another has missed a large chunk of the season due to injury and not being fully fit, which resulted in a lack of form and now confidence. Throw Balogan into the mix, and even Amos who was our highest scoring midfielder last year and for me what you have is a low budget squad unable to paper over the cracks when they appear (board can’t fix that with empty pockets and investment going into new facilities). So we have the players when fit. No manager with a threadbare squad can take losing their best players for a quarter+ of the season, so we can’t blame him/them, so let’s now blame the board for running out of magic dust.
And for whoever mentioned boro and West Brom as well run clubs..ffs have you not seen the money they’ve squandered on poor players. West Brom are on the brink if they don’t get back to the prem before the parachute money runs out, and I don’t understand how boro’s chairman keeps them afloat without breaking the rules. I know they had a couple of cameos in the Prem, but they’ve been spending proper money for the past 10 years+. Oh and Luton was so well run they ended up out of the football league. They’ve done really well to get back to where they are, but mostly by signing a couple of decent strikers through that period. The rest of the squad are just bullies that the Welsh imp brought into play a certain way. You can keep that, thank you very much! I’ll wait for our players to get fit. Incidentally, massive improvement in midfield yesterday with the return of our leader, so fingers crossed there, and I saw more encouraging signs of Willock yesterday, too. Amos is on the bench, so just need the French fella off the sofa now. circumstance can be cruel at times, I really don’t understand why it needs to be somebody’s fault all the time.

West Brom and Boro may have wasted money like any club does but the fact is they clearly have better squads than us. They brought in new managers who immediately got them winning. Both clubs have won 10 games each since they changed managers compared to one scrappy win for our new manager. Clearly those clubs have players with better ability and mentality while we look sorry for ourselves. We also struggle to score which doesn’t help our manager.

Sure Luton were once a mess but they are better run now and they will tell you that they dropped out of league football because of the huge points deductions. Any club, like Derby, who have big points deductions and transfer embargoes will struggle to avoid relegation.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 19:54 - Feb 5 with 1658 viewsgobbles

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 19:37 - Feb 5 by ManinBlack

West Brom and Boro may have wasted money like any club does but the fact is they clearly have better squads than us. They brought in new managers who immediately got them winning. Both clubs have won 10 games each since they changed managers compared to one scrappy win for our new manager. Clearly those clubs have players with better ability and mentality while we look sorry for ourselves. We also struggle to score which doesn’t help our manager.

Sure Luton were once a mess but they are better run now and they will tell you that they dropped out of league football because of the huge points deductions. Any club, like Derby, who have big points deductions and transfer embargoes will struggle to avoid relegation.

The reality is we are only a few years on from our financial meltdown, which occured when we got the biggest FFP fine in history and had a useless squad stuffed with over-paid has-beens.
Running a business is a long-term thing, but in football everyone wants a quick fix. Would relegation really be "a disaster"? The only disaster I can see is if our owners walk away. Because no one is going to pick up the debts then. Yeah, we all want to win, we all want to get promoted, but that's not happening this year and if we can actually start to rebuild a younger squad for next season, maybe we can start moving forward.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 20:32 - Feb 5 with 1581 viewsWhip_It

We're not a well run club, but we're slightly better run than we were 5 or 6 years ago. I don't think some people remember the size of the turnaround required when Les started.

Critchley inherited a decent squad that had topped the table - it could have been so much worse for him. He has no excuses.

Things are going badly - regardless of tactics, the players are unmotivated and not getting the basics rights. Look at how poor our pressing was against Huddersfield, not to mention the anxiety that seems to take hold when we get into dangerous positions. We let games drift and don't seem to have a clue how to stop it.

Anyway, regardless of what we all think, he is toast if this form continues much longer, and rightly so. I might have more patience if he was making changes and trying out new players, but he's playing the same team as was available to Beale, more or less, and getting nothing right.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 20:43 - Feb 5 with 1547 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 20:32 - Feb 5 by Whip_It

We're not a well run club, but we're slightly better run than we were 5 or 6 years ago. I don't think some people remember the size of the turnaround required when Les started.

Critchley inherited a decent squad that had topped the table - it could have been so much worse for him. He has no excuses.

Things are going badly - regardless of tactics, the players are unmotivated and not getting the basics rights. Look at how poor our pressing was against Huddersfield, not to mention the anxiety that seems to take hold when we get into dangerous positions. We let games drift and don't seem to have a clue how to stop it.

Anyway, regardless of what we all think, he is toast if this form continues much longer, and rightly so. I might have more patience if he was making changes and trying out new players, but he's playing the same team as was available to Beale, more or less, and getting nothing right.

I just don't get this 'size of the turnaround'. We had parachute payments for several seasons which we now use as an excuse for not being able to compete. Burnley came down and are going straight back up - we didn't even get near the play-offs while we had that supposed advantage. Yes, we had players on Premier League contracts but we barely got any money for them and simply paid them off. And Les appointed his mate (who had no previous experience) as our manager to oversee this transition. We were no different to any other side coming down; we had an advantage and we pissed it away.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 21:03 - Feb 5 with 1510 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 15:30 - Feb 5 by HuckerMOTM

True but that's a completely different matter..

At the end of the day NC has neither proved himself to be out of his depth or the football genius so many fans have convinced themselves that he is...

Both opinions, at this stage, are equally ludicrous and some reality is required here.

Thankfully, others have long since provided.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 21:37 - Feb 5 with 1465 viewsAntti_Heinola

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 20:43 - Feb 5 by Wegerles_Stairs

I just don't get this 'size of the turnaround'. We had parachute payments for several seasons which we now use as an excuse for not being able to compete. Burnley came down and are going straight back up - we didn't even get near the play-offs while we had that supposed advantage. Yes, we had players on Premier League contracts but we barely got any money for them and simply paid them off. And Les appointed his mate (who had no previous experience) as our manager to oversee this transition. We were no different to any other side coming down; we had an advantage and we pissed it away.

We had one of the biggest wage bills of any team in Europe - I think bigger than Atletico Madrid was the stat. If you really think that's comparable with Burnley, you need to have a long, hard, think. Our parachute payments essentially went on paying for the ludicrous contracts dished out under Fernandes's crazy, illegal (FL rules) reign. Even in the prem, that sort of bill was not sustainable, let alone in the Champ (where it cost us a huge fine). But then I'm pretty sure that's been explained multiple times on here, so me explaining it once again won't stop you from blathering on about it in the future. Our scenario was not, in any way, anything remotely similar, financially speaking, with Burnley.

Bare bones.

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 22:08 - Feb 5 with 1410 viewsstainrods_elbow

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 21:37 - Feb 5 by Antti_Heinola

We had one of the biggest wage bills of any team in Europe - I think bigger than Atletico Madrid was the stat. If you really think that's comparable with Burnley, you need to have a long, hard, think. Our parachute payments essentially went on paying for the ludicrous contracts dished out under Fernandes's crazy, illegal (FL rules) reign. Even in the prem, that sort of bill was not sustainable, let alone in the Champ (where it cost us a huge fine). But then I'm pretty sure that's been explained multiple times on here, so me explaining it once again won't stop you from blathering on about it in the future. Our scenario was not, in any way, anything remotely similar, financially speaking, with Burnley.

We actually got a lot of our expensive players off our books (albeit often initially as loans) after relegation, so you're both kind of half-right in my view.

Bosingwa - signed 3 year contract with Trabzonspor (left by mutual consent, July 2013)
Granero - season-long loan to Real Sociedad (August 2013)
Park Ji-Sung - on loan to PSV (July 2013)
Townsend - returned to Spurs at end of 2012/13 (loan finished)
Samba - returned to Anzhi, July 2013
Remy - loaned to Newcastle (August 2013)

SWP (admittedly hung round till he went to the US in 2015)

Barton is the one who really sticks in my craw: a reported 70k a week, who moved for money on his own admission, was mostly mediocre at best and/or actually toxic/a liability. The fiasco around Julio Cesar was also an embarrassment for all concerned (and Brazi'ls 1-7 humilation v Germany gave me great Schadenfreude for that reason).

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 22:21 - Feb 5 with 1413 viewsgobbles

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 22:08 - Feb 5 by stainrods_elbow

We actually got a lot of our expensive players off our books (albeit often initially as loans) after relegation, so you're both kind of half-right in my view.

Bosingwa - signed 3 year contract with Trabzonspor (left by mutual consent, July 2013)

Barton is the one who really sticks in my craw: a reported 70k a week, who moved for money on his own admission, was mostly mediocre at best and/or actually toxic/a liability. The fiasco around Julio Cesar was also an embarrassment for all concerned (and Brazi'ls 1-7 humilation v Germany gave me great Schadenfreude for that reason).

We probably had to pay most of those contracts up at least partly, It wasn't just them. Players like Luke Young and Shaun Wright-Phillips, bought in a panic and no doubt overpaid, were on the payroll for years after they basically stopped playing.
Login to get fewer ads

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 10:13 - Feb 6 with 1221 viewsstanistheman

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 20:43 - Feb 5 by Wegerles_Stairs

Oh so very true , yet some want to look for excuses rather than blame Sir Les!

He was a great player for QPR, but the complete opposite as a DoF.

What has his plan been as a DoF? Why hasn't he got a blueprint of how that club should play and signed the players to play that way throughout the 1st team to the youth teams.

One glaring example is We seem to have only one CF in the 1st and B & U23 teams. Now that he is unavailable there is no one to step up.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 10:36 - Feb 6 with 1160 viewsterryb

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 22:08 - Feb 5 by stainrods_elbow

But all of the players you mentioned were replaced by this lot by Harold! I think you will agree we didn't make any/much profit on these & they cost a lot in wages. Austin excluded of course!

2013/14
Danny Simpson
Richard Dunne
Karl Henry
Charlie Austin
Gary O'Neil
Matt Phillips
Javier Chevantón
Oguchi Onyewu
Yossi Benayoun
Coll Donaldson
Aaron Hughes

Loans In
Benoît Assou-Ekotto
Tom Carroll
Niko Kranjčar
Dellatorre
Kevin Doyle
Will Keane
Modibo Maïga
Ravel Morrison

2014/15
Rio Ferdinand
Steven Caulker
Jordon Mutch
Leroy Fer
Jack Robinson
Alex McCarthy
Sandro
Ryan Manning

Loaned in
Mauricio Isla
Eduardo Vargas
Niko Kranjčar
Mauro Zárate
[Post edited 6 Feb 2023 10:38]
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 11:22 - Feb 6 with 1055 viewsHuckerMOTM

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 10:13 - Feb 6 by stanistheman

Oh so very true , yet some want to look for excuses rather than blame Sir Les!

He was a great player for QPR, but the complete opposite as a DoF.

What has his plan been as a DoF? Why hasn't he got a blueprint of how that club should play and signed the players to play that way throughout the 1st team to the youth teams.

One glaring example is We seem to have only one CF in the 1st and B & U23 teams. Now that he is unavailable there is no one to step up.

"What has his plan been as a DoF?"

Oh, he's been very clear about this and has/had the blessing of Lee Hoos...

Why did he and Warburton REALLY fall out? That's the key that opens the secret...
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 13:21 - Feb 6 with 888 viewsngbqpr

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 10:36 - Feb 6 by terryb

But all of the players you mentioned were replaced by this lot by Harold! I think you will agree we didn't make any/much profit on these & they cost a lot in wages. Austin excluded of course!

2013/14
Danny Simpson
Richard Dunne
Karl Henry
Charlie Austin
Gary O'Neil
Matt Phillips
Javier Chevantón
Oguchi Onyewu
Yossi Benayoun
Coll Donaldson
Aaron Hughes

Loans In
Benoît Assou-Ekotto
Tom Carroll
Niko Kranjčar
Dellatorre
Kevin Doyle
Will Keane
Modibo Maïga
Ravel Morrison

2014/15
Rio Ferdinand
Steven Caulker
Jordon Mutch
Leroy Fer
Jack Robinson
Alex McCarthy
Sandro
Ryan Manning

Loaned in
Mauricio Isla
Eduardo Vargas
Niko Kranjčar
Mauro Zárate
[Post edited 6 Feb 2023 10:38]

Blimey - reading that in the cold light of day a few years on is pretty grim.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 14:37 - Feb 6 with 747 viewsPinnerPaul

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 17:30 - Feb 5 by HuckerMOTM

There's plenty of posters suggesting that we've inherited one of the most sought after managers in the country outside the top flight...

Again, i've not seen anyone say that.

I actually agree with you - he's clearly not that, but neither is he out of his depth.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024