Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth 21:19 - Feb 4 with 9634 viewsdamienhoops68

Mentioned this a couple of weeks ago he is well out of his depth of and was told I was being to haisty. Really who thinks that still.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 12:12 - Feb 5 with 2161 viewsR_from_afar

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 08:53 - Feb 5 by NorthantsHoop

Afraid Neil Critchley is about as inspiring as a cold old day in Uddersfield. Regardless of all the issues with the other bloke, we just look a team with no cohesion and playing strategy and I expect the players are about as inspired by him as I would be sitting in that dressing room. Thought we should have gone for an interim appointment someone like Chris Wilder until the end of the season and see how it goes and looked for a new manager and coaching team over the Summer. I just can't see Critchley working out, still I will just grin and bear it from my seat in the upper loft and watch the draws play out in front of us and hope for a win or two before the end of the season.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 8:56]

I’m not sure Wilder would be any better. He was sacked at Boro, a better run club than ours, and this is how the end of his stint there panned out (taken from Wikipedia):
Wilder was sacked on 3 October 2022 with the club in the bottom three of the Championship. They had won only two of 11 league games played in the 2022—23 season.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 12:27 - Feb 5 with 2120 viewsgobbles

Beale thought he was too big for QPR, so it goes as saying that "his boys" think they are too big for QPR. That will take time to sort out and nothing so far has shown to me that Critchley is not well capable of doing the job. He needs time, deserves time and will get time.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 12:46 - Feb 5 with 2069 viewsHuckerMOTM

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 12:11 - Feb 5 by golborne

There’s a whiff of Goodison around here…
The club are doing exactly what they’ve said their plan is, apart from the bringing players through- but let’s face it, there’s nothing there that looks anywhere near as good as our loans. Loans we need, as we’re skint. Balogan being the exception, but wart faces fortunes changed when he came in. Anybody remember the first 4-5 games? Simply put, he’s our best, and most commanding central defender by some distance.
I think on better days most agree we have a solid set of players, but unfortunately a lot evolves around three of them. One, our only leader, has been injured through much of this run. Another has missed a large chunk of the season due to injury and not being fully fit, which resulted in a lack of form and now confidence. Throw Balogan into the mix, and even Amos who was our highest scoring midfielder last year and for me what you have is a low budget squad unable to paper over the cracks when they appear (board can’t fix that with empty pockets and investment going into new facilities). So we have the players when fit. No manager with a threadbare squad can take losing their best players for a quarter+ of the season, so we can’t blame him/them, so let’s now blame the board for running out of magic dust.
And for whoever mentioned boro and West Brom as well run clubs..ffs have you not seen the money they’ve squandered on poor players. West Brom are on the brink if they don’t get back to the prem before the parachute money runs out, and I don’t understand how boro’s chairman keeps them afloat without breaking the rules. I know they had a couple of cameos in the Prem, but they’ve been spending proper money for the past 10 years+. Oh and Luton was so well run they ended up out of the football league. They’ve done really well to get back to where they are, but mostly by signing a couple of decent strikers through that period. The rest of the squad are just bullies that the Welsh imp brought into play a certain way. You can keep that, thank you very much! I’ll wait for our players to get fit. Incidentally, massive improvement in midfield yesterday with the return of our leader, so fingers crossed there, and I saw more encouraging signs of Willock yesterday, too. Amos is on the bench, so just need the French fella off the sofa now. circumstance can be cruel at times, I really don’t understand why it needs to be somebody’s fault all the time.

'we have a solid set of players'

' what you have is a low budget squad'

So, what is it? Do we have a solid set of players or a low budget squad?

Also, you mention Luton's previous financial dissaray... it was 15+ years ago.... if you think we have nothing to learn from them because of something that happened nearly a generation ago then you need to think again.

Luton and Brentford are our blueprints.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 12:47]
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 13:43 - Feb 5 with 1955 viewsRsinWales

There is a very interesting discussion from the younger fans on the R Generation podcast about the deeper structural challenges we have. Worth a listen. This is clearly bigger than a Critchley issue. Would not be fair to give up on him yet, even if we could afford it.

https://rgeneration.net/
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 13:46 - Feb 5 with 1945 viewsfrancisbowles

Critchley is hardly out of his depth. He may have 'only' finished 16th in the Championship with Blackpool but they were a newly promoted club, under him, and he has close to 120 matches at Championship and League 1 level to draw on now.

We have given him a three+ years contract and brought in his choice of two coaches, so we can hardly afford to tear that up, pay them off and go for another bloke on similar or more expensive terms.

So whether we or the players like him or not he is here for the foreseeable and they need to FIFO and we need to get behind him.

There were signs of improvement yesterday but unfortunately we can't buy a break at the moment. Recently we either can't hold onto a lead or have gone a goal behind and heads have gone down. They need to keep working and believe it will get better.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 14:02 - Feb 5 with 1905 viewsAndybrat

Totally disagree for all the good reasons given, there is more than one way to look at our sequence of results which actually tell you we are hard to beat. Too many draws yes, not enough wins yes, too many defeats no. It’s a starting point for NC who is so different to MB I am surprised they are mates. This is not his team, true judging starts next season.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 14:22 - Feb 5 with 1859 viewspaulparker

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 21:32 - Feb 4 by aston_hoop

I think a lot of people can see that Critchley isn't the problem here. The problem is the structure around the club has been badly managed, specifically player recruitment. I think we have made good signings, unfortunately, we have also allowed managers to make their own signings which isn't really how a DoF structure should work. Critchley struggling to get a tune out of Beale's squad while for instance, Edwards gets a tune out of Luton's squad, should be no surprise. One side is a hybrid of players for different managers, one is a side built for Luton football club. Well run clubs don't have this issue. Look at Brighton, new boss, same team. If Thomas Frank finally disappeared so far up his own arse that he managed to convert himself into pure energy, his replacement would do the same. QPR is not set up like this, it simply has to be though to compete. So I don't blame Critchley.

I do worry though that Sir Les saves himself and hires a 'pashun' merchant, we win a few games and in 1 years time when they go the same way as Ollie and Schteve, but with a squad of players from a couple of managers, we will be in exactly the same place. To compete, we need to be like these other teams and look long term. Too many fans either don't see it or don't want it, maybe even I'm just talking bollocks. But its how I see it
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 21:34]

Totally agree
The DOF should have a way of playing from the first team to the youngsters and we buy players to suit that system
Case in point Rob Dickie , surely by now we have sussed that he is better in a back three than a 4 , even Beale worked that out which is why he was dropped as he is exposed to much
He is our player so why are we not insisting to any new manager that the system is 3-5-2 ? We have the full backs for it and left sided centreback ( when fit) , we are never going to sell Dickie for any profit if he he is getting ripped to shreds in a back four every week

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 14:50 - Feb 5 with 1792 viewsCamberleyR

People saying West Brom are a well run club? Absolutely laughable. Their parachute payments finish after this season and if they don't go up via the playoffs they are in massive trouble next.

Critchley might have 'only' got Blackpool to 16th last season but they probably had a bottom three budget and they were twenty three points clear of relegation and also only a couple of wins behind us.

You only have to look at them this season which isn't wholly explained on losing their star man Bowler.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 22:04]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 15:05 - Feb 5 with 1771 viewsHuckerMOTM

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 13:46 - Feb 5 by francisbowles

Critchley is hardly out of his depth. He may have 'only' finished 16th in the Championship with Blackpool but they were a newly promoted club, under him, and he has close to 120 matches at Championship and League 1 level to draw on now.

We have given him a three+ years contract and brought in his choice of two coaches, so we can hardly afford to tear that up, pay them off and go for another bloke on similar or more expensive terms.

So whether we or the players like him or not he is here for the foreseeable and they need to FIFO and we need to get behind him.

There were signs of improvement yesterday but unfortunately we can't buy a break at the moment. Recently we either can't hold onto a lead or have gone a goal behind and heads have gone down. They need to keep working and believe it will get better.

He's managed 54 games in the Championship and won 17.

Again, let's stop trying to convince ourselves that his appointment was not a punt based on perceived potential...
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 15:24 - Feb 5 with 1710 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 15:05 - Feb 5 by HuckerMOTM

Again, let's stop trying to convince ourselves that his appointment was not a punt based on perceived potential...

Which is 17 more than his predecessor managed before we handed him the poisoned chalice.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 15:30 - Feb 5 with 1685 viewsHuckerMOTM

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 15:24 - Feb 5 by PlanetHonneywood

Which is 17 more than his predecessor managed before we handed him the poisoned chalice.

True but that's a completely different matter..

At the end of the day NC has neither proved himself to be out of his depth or the football genius so many fans have convinced themselves that he is...

Both opinions, at this stage, are equally ludicrous and some reality is required here.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 15:38 - Feb 5 with 1636 viewsstainrods_elbow

I'd say Critchley is the opposite of out of his depth - the squad, spirit and general levels of footballing competence at QPR are so shallow that he's if anything barely able to swim. Managers can only work with the players at their disposal, and right now I'd hang onto Chair (definitely), Willock (probably), Field (possibly) and Seny (maybe), and after that I'd be looking around for new players.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 16:23 - Feb 5 with 1569 viewsderbyhoop

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 15:05 - Feb 5 by HuckerMOTM

No way was NC a punt.
What we have done with the last 3 managerial appointments is look for coaches that can improve what we have, In that respect NC is very similar to Beale in his approach to the game;

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 16:29 - Feb 5 with 1560 viewsHuckerMOTM

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 16:23 - Feb 5 by derbyhoop

No way was NC a punt.
What we have done with the last 3 managerial appointments is look for coaches that can improve what we have, In that respect NC is very similar to Beale in his approach to the game;

A man who has managed for just one season at this level isn't a punt?

Also Warburton was proven at this level.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 16:35 - Feb 5 with 1541 viewsPinnerPaul

We're a mid table Championship side - not sure how 'deep' that is?

Of course he's not out of his depth.

Doesn't mean he will be a success of course, but far too early to tell on that one.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 16:36 - Feb 5 with 1542 viewsflynnbo

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 13:46 - Feb 5 by francisbowles

I know we're skint
".....but unfortunately we can't buy a break at the moment. "

Can't we loan one then?
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 16:39 - Feb 5 with 1526 viewsPinnerPaul

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 21:55 - Feb 4 by CateLeBonR

Yeah I was discussing this earlier with someone.

Good, well run football clubs don't need great managers.

I think that's taking it a bit too far.

I think how a club is 'run' is pretty well down the priority list for most footballers.

As me and others have said - in isolation, this lot should & can produce much better over each 90' than they are at the minute.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 16:40 - Feb 5 with 1526 viewsstanistheman

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 21:32 - Feb 4 by aston_hoop

I think a lot of people can see that Critchley isn't the problem here. The problem is the structure around the club has been badly managed, specifically player recruitment. I think we have made good signings, unfortunately, we have also allowed managers to make their own signings which isn't really how a DoF structure should work. Critchley struggling to get a tune out of Beale's squad while for instance, Edwards gets a tune out of Luton's squad, should be no surprise. One side is a hybrid of players for different managers, one is a side built for Luton football club. Well run clubs don't have this issue. Look at Brighton, new boss, same team. If Thomas Frank finally disappeared so far up his own arse that he managed to convert himself into pure energy, his replacement would do the same. QPR is not set up like this, it simply has to be though to compete. So I don't blame Critchley.

I do worry though that Sir Les saves himself and hires a 'pashun' merchant, we win a few games and in 1 years time when they go the same way as Ollie and Schteve, but with a squad of players from a couple of managers, we will be in exactly the same place. To compete, we need to be like these other teams and look long term. Too many fans either don't see it or don't want it, maybe even I'm just talking bollocks. But its how I see it
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 21:34]

By and large I agree with you that the main problem is the DoF.

As long as he has this job QPR will not really progress. The reason he lets the manager and head coaches bring their choice of players too is probably because he doesn’t know what kind of player to bring in. He will still be here after Critchley goes and the merry go round will continue at Queens Park Circus.

The owners won’t be acting any time soon. The club hides behind the small stadium and P&S/FFP rules but that’s just a load of rubbish. This is our 8th season back and not made the play offs yet, however Luton have been back 3 seasons and have 1 go at the play offs and look like getting a second this season. Huddersfield have been in two finals winning one. Barnsley also got into them.

Having said that I also think that Critchley is not going to do well here because I haven’t seen any real signs of improvement under his charge. I am not sure what his style of play is but his preferred formation seems to be some form of 4-3-3. He also makes poor substitutions and at the wrong times to really change a game (Reading the exception).
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 16:41 - Feb 5 with 1521 viewsPinnerPaul

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 23:18 - Feb 4 by HuckerMOTM

Oh yeah?

Tell me about those Halcyon days when, in his only season managing at this level, he finished 16th...

It's far too early to write him off but if you're going to make out we've got one of the best managers in the country at the club you're talking nonsense too.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 23:21]

I've read what you've replied to 3 times and at no point does it say NC is one of the best managers in the country.

That's equally as silly as saying he is out of depth.
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 17:15 - Feb 5 with 1486 viewscharmr

Some of our signings and academy players have been out of their depth.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 17:16]
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 17:30 - Feb 5 with 1426 viewsHuckerMOTM

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 16:41 - Feb 5 by PinnerPaul

I've read what you've replied to 3 times and at no point does it say NC is one of the best managers in the country.

That's equally as silly as saying he is out of depth.

There's plenty of posters suggesting that we've inherited one of the most sought after managers in the country outside the top flight...
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 17:43 - Feb 5 with 1392 viewsHuckerMOTM

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 16:40 - Feb 5 by stanistheman

As long as he has this job QPR will not really progress. The reason he lets the manager and head coaches bring their choice of players too is probably because he doesn’t know what kind of player to bring in. He will still be here after Critchley goes and the merry go round will continue at Queens Park Circus.

The owners won’t be acting any time soon. The club hides behind the small stadium and P&S/FFP rules but that’s just a load of rubbish. This is our 8th season back and not made the play offs yet, however Luton have been back 3 seasons and have 1 go at the play offs and look like getting a second this season. Huddersfield have been in two finals winning one. Barnsley also got into them.

Having said that I also think that Critchley is not going to do well here because I haven’t seen any real signs of improvement under his charge. I am not sure what his style of play is but his preferred formation seems to be some form of 4-3-3. He also makes poor substitutions and at the wrong times to really change a game (Reading the exception).

'The reason he lets the manager and head coaches bring their choice of players too is probably because he doesn’t know what kind of player to bring in'

Les has a BIG say on who comes in and has a very firm idea about what players he wants at the club too...

The NDAs would be great to read...
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 17:49 - Feb 5 with 1365 viewsNorthantsHoop

We need to find a way of playing what I call ugly football and this lot are just not capable of this, with the types of players we have. Have been banging on for ages about the lack of height in the team, look at the stronger more athletic teams in this division they all have a majority of 6 foot plus players, we seem to be continually relying on an identity of finding flair players in the QPR tradition to play nice football that is not going to get anywhere in this league. Look at Luton they took us apart in both games this year with both ugly football and a bit of guile. Be interesting to see how we cope with Millwall and Sunderland next week, as in my mind they are similar to Luton and can mix it up, we are unable to play that way in my opinion regardless of the formation set up.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 17:52]
Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 18:19 - Feb 5 with 1296 viewspaulparker

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 16:40 - Feb 5 by stanistheman

Spot on imo

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 18:20 - Feb 5 with 1294 viewsBerkoRanger

Said about critchley a few weeks ago out of his depth on 17:49 - Feb 5 by NorthantsHoop

We need to find a way of playing what I call ugly football and this lot are just not capable of this, with the types of players we have. Have been banging on for ages about the lack of height in the team, look at the stronger more athletic teams in this division they all have a majority of 6 foot plus players, we seem to be continually relying on an identity of finding flair players in the QPR tradition to play nice football that is not going to get anywhere in this league. Look at Luton they took us apart in both games this year with both ugly football and a bit of guile. Be interesting to see how we cope with Millwall and Sunderland next week, as in my mind they are similar to Luton and can mix it up, we are unable to play that way in my opinion regardless of the formation set up.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 17:52]

Absolutely agree with this post, esp as I enjoyed the 70s and 80s watching the QPR tradition of flair players and "nice" football. Now, needs must.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024