Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nature is Bloody Amazing 10:11 - Feb 13 with 6509 viewsWokingR

By way of distraction from the football, wanted to share this with you.
Was by the back door on Sunday morning, when all the birds in the garden started screeching. Looked round to a cloud of feathers and what looked like a sparrow hawk on steroids standing over a pigeon with it's foot on its throat. On looking it up, turns out it was a Peregrine Falcon and that we have actually got a breeding project for them here in Woking. Who knew ?
The website link below gives details, history, videos and 4 live webcams including 1 of the breeding box which will hopefully get busy in about a months time.
https://www.wokingperegrines.com/
This has become a bit like that big plane website during a storm for me, and I'm getting nothing done !
Utah Helical Piers on 19:01 - Feb 14 with 1962 viewsmichealpetti105

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 14:58 - Feb 14 by Boston

Honestly don't know why Kestrels are disappearing, no one I know drank it.

Utah Helical Piers is a manufacturer of the best quality Helical Piers with the collaboration of Utah foundations. We serve clients who work in many different areas, including residential, commercial, and industrial.

https://www.utahhelicalpiers.com/
Nature is Bloody Amazing on 09:14 - May 2 with 1835 viewsWokingR

First egg has hatched and we have a chick !
Nature is Bloody Amazing on 11:31 - May 2 with 1750 viewsenfieldargh

I played very ocassionaly for Blackbirds(originally The Blackbirds Pub on Blackbird Hill Kingsbury/Wembley) although team played out of the Kingsbury Plough

Peanut Sardines now theres a novelty

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 12:44 - May 2 with 1712 viewswombat

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 11:31 - May 2 by enfieldargh

I played very ocassionaly for Blackbirds(originally The Blackbirds Pub on Blackbird Hill Kingsbury/Wembley) although team played out of the Kingsbury Plough

therer has been a few instances ion recent months of red kites attacking small dogs in chorleywood , mainly the hairy rat type of dogs , recentlt set up a bird feeder on the garden shed its amazing the diff types of birds come and vist each day ,

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Utah Helical Piers on 12:50 - May 2 with 1690 viewsjohnhoop

Utah Helical Piers on 19:01 - Feb 14 by michealpetti105

Utah Helical Piers is a manufacturer of the best quality Helical Piers with the collaboration of Utah foundations. We serve clients who work in many different areas, including residential, commercial, and industrial.

https://www.utahhelicalpiers.com/

Timely post. I woke up this morning thinking “where can I buy a helical pier?”
Nature is Bloody Amazing on 13:50 - May 2 with 1613 viewsSimonJames

What's all that stuff on the roof below their nest, is it leaves or bird remnants?

We had a peregrine falcon land in the garden once. All three of next doors cats set about it, and they were all sent packing. The falcon then just there, nonchalantly fluffing out his feathers again.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 13:59 - May 2 with 1594 viewshubble

Here in QP/Maida Hill we're not blessed with a wide variety of birds, it's pretty much crows, magpies, pigeons, seagulls and those pesky parakeets. For many years a flock of siskin would arrive late spring for the pool that would form on a large but hidden from the road flat roof. Since that was demolished they've disappeared, but in lock down all sorts of species reappeared including sparrows. The end of lock down was the end of that, or so I thought, but last week I saw a pair of blue tits cavorting in the front garden right by the busy road, which was joyful to watch.

PS I know this post contains a lovely pair of innuendos,

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 14:35 - May 2 with 1577 viewsWokingR

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 13:50 - May 2 by SimonJames

What's all that stuff on the roof below their nest, is it leaves or bird remnants?

We had a peregrine falcon land in the garden once. All three of next doors cats set about it, and they were all sent packing. The falcon then just there, nonchalantly fluffing out his feathers again.

When it's sunny, and that all dries out, you'll see it's the remains of about 1000 pigeons.
2 chicks now.
Login to get fewer ads

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 16:02 - May 2 with 1536 viewsHantsR

Nature is amazing indeed, I was in the bath the other day thinking just that.

On Peregrines, they're getting increasingly common and all the local cathedrals have the obligatory nest. Fab birds. My best sight was one chasing a Grey Plover, both raptor and quarry passing at high speed, very close to where I was standing at Farlington Marshes. GP survived that one. Never seen them chasing skylarks but often spot one causing some interesting patterns in Starling murmurations.

Last year I heard a loud thump followed by a cloud of feathers and a big female Sparrowhawk fell to the ground with an unfortunate Collared Dove, catching, plucking and devouring it right outside my kitchen window.

To try and make this QPR-related, I've often seen flocks of Ring-necked Parakeets over LR; I think they're a favourite dish for Peregrines.
Nature is Bloody Amazing on 16:16 - May 2 with 1523 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If someone said you had written a post that included birds, breeding, and back door I would never have guessed this is how it went.
Nature is Bloody Amazing on 16:28 - May 2 with 1513 viewsconnell10

I like watching the Kites in my back garden ...lovely birds!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 16:28 - May 2 with 1513 viewsWokingR

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 16:16 - May 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

If someone said you had written a post that included birds, breeding, and back door I would never have guessed this is how it went.

This is just a long and gentle intro to lull Clive into a false sense of security.
Once he starts assuming he knows what the thread is about, and decides it no longer needs checking, we can all start posting whatever hardcore we like.
Nature is Bloody Amazing on 17:09 - May 2 with 1491 viewsMick_S

This is one hard bird. Don’t mess.

My favourite owl so far.

[Post edited 2 May 2023 17:10]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 17:15 - May 2 with 1485 viewshubble

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 17:09 - May 2 by Mick_S

This is one hard bird. Don’t mess.

My favourite owl so far.

[Post edited 2 May 2023 17:10]

What a beautiful bird. I love owls.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 17:22 - May 2 with 1479 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 16:28 - May 2 by WokingR

This is just a long and gentle intro to lull Clive into a false sense of security.
Once he starts assuming he knows what the thread is about, and decides it no longer needs checking, we can all start posting whatever hardcore we like.

Sexy Friday revisited.
He wistfully sighed.
Nature is Bloody Amazing on 18:07 - May 2 with 1442 viewshantssi

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 11:31 - May 2 by enfieldargh

I used to drink in the Blackbirds, sometimes after work (Safeway) and sometimes on a Sunday lunchtime, my dad and I varied between there and The George.
Block of flats now although The George is still there.
Nature is Bloody Amazing on 11:15 - May 4 with 1290 viewsSonofpugwash

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jun/06/the-great-green-expansion-how-rin

No he wasn't responsible.
It was a bunch of schoolboys from the St.Mary's RC.Grammar School,Sidcup.
There were some bird cages over the road in a leisure area called Sidcup Place,one night (1964) some naughty schoolboys decided to "liberate" said birds.The Ring Necked Parakeets initially colonised the big oak tree down from the road and football pitch and have spread all over the place.There was a cockatoo called Cocky(who we taught a few swear words) was left in situ.
Fact.
[Post edited 4 May 2023 11:16]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 13:39 - May 4 with 1255 viewsderbyhoop

Peregrine falcons have been at Derby Cathedral for years. Also at Arndale centre in Manchester.

Around us, we get loads of Buzzards. Fierce looking, with high squeaky calls.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 13:55 - May 4 with 1237 viewsR_from_afar

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 14:35 - May 2 by WokingR

When it's sunny, and that all dries out, you'll see it's the remains of about 1000 pigeons.
2 chicks now.

Interesting that you mention that number of prey items. I am in The Hawk and Owl Trust and there was recently an article about that small bird of prey the merlin. It said that in order to feed three chicks to the point of fledging, the parent birds would need to kill 450 small birds (their main diet). That is some killing spree!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 14:02 - May 4 with 1236 viewsNewBee

Peregrine Falcons on a Football Forum is it?

"Milton Keynes peregrine falcon fledges from stadiummk roof"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-33606121

Though knowing that lot, I'm surprised it isn't Vultures...
Nature is Bloody Amazing on 14:58 - May 4 with 1200 viewsSonofpugwash

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 16:28 - May 2 by connell10

I like watching the Kites in my back garden ...lovely birds!

Red Kites were a feature of London during the time of Evelyn and Pepys,very much regarded as a pest.
We get loads of Kites up in The Cambrians now the farmers have stopped shooting them.They love bread cheap chicken wings.
We also get an occasional visit from an otter appropriately named Harry.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 17:25 - May 4 with 1154 viewsNewBee

Nature is Bloody Amazing on 13:55 - May 4 by R_from_afar

Interesting that you mention that number of prey items. I am in The Hawk and Owl Trust and there was recently an article about that small bird of prey the merlin. It said that in order to feed three chicks to the point of fledging, the parent birds would need to kill 450 small birds (their main diet). That is some killing spree!

Many such small birds have surprisingly large clutches of eggs/chicks. For instance, the little Blue Tit normally lays 8 - 12 eggs at a time (up to 16 have been recorded). While other birds may have more than one clutch per season.
All of which must be an evolutionary response to the level of predation which you outline. (It also explains how/why extraordinary rates of predation by domestic house cats still don't greatly harm garden bird numbers.)

While this works both ways, For instance, it is estmated that each Blue Tit chick will require as many as 100 caterpillars a day, meaning that during the height of the breeding season, each set of parents needs to supply 1,000(!) caterpillars daily for a typical clutch of 10 chicks :
https://www.bto.org/understanding-birds/articles/blue-tit-diary
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024