Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket 10:26 - Feb 16 with 5504 viewsstowmarketrange

Just back from an entertaining day at the Bay Oval watching bazball close up.We scored really quickly,although some of the wickets lost were pretty poor shot selection,especially by Root,but we’ve got the Kiwis on the ropes at the minute.Another couple of early wickets tomorrow will help.
I was the only one stupid enough to be wearing a qpr shirt,although there was a Reading fan wearing his fake hooped shirt.

I’d forgotten how hot it can get watching cricket,as it’s meant to be a summer sport.But it got chilly about 6pm,and a lot of people had jumpers with them for the evening session.But day/night games in a one horse town like Tauranga wasn’t the best decision by the NZ cricket board.It might’ve worked in a city but not here.There’s only one club in the whole area,so a lot of fans decided to head off early..
I can’t see it lasting more than 4 days.
Cricket on 10:40 - Feb 16 with 3883 viewsThe_Beast1976

Also just back to the digs. Fabulous day. Roll on tomorrow
Cricket on 10:41 - Feb 16 with 3888 viewstoboboly

Incredibly jealous of you being there mate, have a great time!

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Cricket on 13:49 - Feb 16 with 3724 viewsDWQPR

For me they can put this pink ball away and stop the day nighters. Not comfortable at all when a team declares with only 300+ on the board and still a wicket in hand just to take advantage of the evening conditions that will be so helpful to the bowlers. It distorts the match massively. All these day nighters finish well within the five days. If it is meant to increase the number of spectators then it might get a few more in on the days they actually play but then lose those on the early finish. And I suspect the sponsors and advertisers aren’t too happy either. What England are doing to test cricket at the moment is fantastic and if other nations adopt such strategies then that will increase the flow of spectators and so far, barring the SA your last summer we’ve seen matches go to the wire on at least four occasions.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Cricket on 19:45 - Feb 16 with 3603 viewsstowmarketrange

Cricket on 10:40 - Feb 16 by The_Beast1976

Also just back to the digs. Fabulous day. Roll on tomorrow

Do you use the Mount club before the game mate?Its a lot cheaper than the beer at the ground.I’ll be in there before the game if you fancy a beer.
I heard last night from a local that they might start earlier today to try and make up the overs lost yesterday.Have you heard anything mate?
[Post edited 16 Feb 2023 19:47]
Cricket on 21:50 - Feb 16 with 3522 viewsHayesender

Jimmy Anderson isn't human.

Made his test debut just after we lost the playoff final in Cardiff

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Cricket on 22:02 - Feb 16 with 3488 viewsBoston

Cricket on 19:45 - Feb 16 by stowmarketrange

Do you use the Mount club before the game mate?Its a lot cheaper than the beer at the ground.I’ll be in there before the game if you fancy a beer.
I heard last night from a local that they might start earlier today to try and make up the overs lost yesterday.Have you heard anything mate?

He'll be under the station clock, wearing a pink carnation.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Cricket on 23:28 - Feb 16 with 3431 viewsqpr1976

Cricket on 13:49 - Feb 16 by DWQPR

For me they can put this pink ball away and stop the day nighters. Not comfortable at all when a team declares with only 300+ on the board and still a wicket in hand just to take advantage of the evening conditions that will be so helpful to the bowlers. It distorts the match massively. All these day nighters finish well within the five days. If it is meant to increase the number of spectators then it might get a few more in on the days they actually play but then lose those on the early finish. And I suspect the sponsors and advertisers aren’t too happy either. What England are doing to test cricket at the moment is fantastic and if other nations adopt such strategies then that will increase the flow of spectators and so far, barring the SA your last summer we’ve seen matches go to the wire on at least four occasions.

Agree.
Leave Test cricket alone.
Leave Night cricket for ODI’s & T20.
The Hundred ? Just Leave…..
Cricket on 00:28 - Feb 17 with 3383 viewsozexile

Cricket on 23:28 - Feb 16 by qpr1976

Agree.

agree
Login to get fewer ads

Cricket on 00:53 - Feb 17 with 3365 viewsBoston

Biblical rain storms
Cyclone
Earthquake
Test Cricket.

What else can go wrong?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Cricket on 00:54 - Feb 17 with 3359 viewsDamo1962

Cricket on 21:50 - Feb 16 by Hayesender

Jimmy Anderson isn't human.

Made his test debut just after we lost the playoff final in Cardiff

Along with Botham, my favourite England players. Some QPR players could learn from his professionalism.
Cricket on 02:05 - Feb 17 with 3352 viewsFredManRave

Cricket on 00:54 - Feb 17 by Damo1962

Along with Botham, my favourite England players. Some QPR players could learn from his professionalism.

Imagine how long it would take our players to walk from John O'Groats to Lands End.

Not to mention all the sporting achievements Beefy made.

Man and boys. Incomparable.

Beefy belongs in that sacred moment in time (the 80's) when most sports had a true, relatable hero.

I'll let you guys name the rest. Could be an interesting list....

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Cricket on 02:41 - Feb 17 with 3332 viewsThe_Beast1976

Cricket on 19:45 - Feb 16 by stowmarketrange

Was playing golf this morning so went straight into the ground. Good start today. Be nice to chip them out by tea, but doesn't look likely now.

Sitting up on the grass bank with the rest of the BA
Cricket on 02:42 - Feb 17 with 3331 viewsThe_Beast1976

Cricket on 23:28 - Feb 16 by qpr1976

Agree.

Fact
Cricket on 10:19 - Feb 17 with 3251 viewsstowmarketrange

Cricket on 02:41 - Feb 17 by The_Beast1976

Was playing golf this morning so went straight into the ground. Good start today. Be nice to chip them out by tea, but doesn't look likely now.

Sitting up on the grass bank with the rest of the BA

I was just in front of you on the lower bank.At least I was until some younger Kiwis with a fair amount of Aussie blood and too much lager made everyone’s life hell with their non stop crap.
If I had a £ for every time one of them shouts out “Don’t drop it Crawley,” I’d be able to fly home 1st class.
I moved over to the family section for the last session as it was supposed to be alcohol free,but there was as much booze there as anywhere else.
At least the missed catch shut them up a bit.I can’t understand why the keeper didn’t just go for it himself?He’s the one with the big gloves on.
Cricket on 09:30 - Feb 18 with 3117 viewsstowmarketrange

5 or 6 R’s fans seen today at the test.We’re here,we’re there,we’re everywhere.
Drastic measures to avoid going to qpr games though.Just the 5 Kiwi wickets needed tomorrow to wrap up the 1st test.
It’s not a fair fight though with 1 side having to bat under lights and the other team not.But the Kiwis did win the toss and chose to field first.
Cricket on 10:50 - Feb 18 with 3032 viewsDWQPR

On an Aussie cricketing subject it seems odd that Warner was struck on the head in the first innings and passed a concussion test and then later in his innings gets a hairline fracture of the elbow and consequently once out has failed the concussion test which means that the Aussies can field a substitute batsman. More Aussie cheating per chance?

Cricket on 17:45 - Feb 18 with 2883 viewsstowmarketrange

Cricket on 10:50 - Feb 18 by DWQPR

On an Aussie cricketing subject it seems odd that Warner was struck on the head in the first innings and passed a concussion test and then later in his innings gets a hairline fracture of the elbow and consequently once out has failed the concussion test which means that the Aussies can field a substitute batsman. More Aussie cheating per chance?

Maybe they learnt that trick from Peterborough Utd?
Cricket on 18:53 - Feb 18 with 2826 viewsThe_Beast1976

Cricket on 09:30 - Feb 18 by stowmarketrange

5 or 6 R’s fans seen today at the test.We’re here,we’re there,we’re everywhere.
Drastic measures to avoid going to qpr games though.Just the 5 Kiwi wickets needed tomorrow to wrap up the 1st test.
It’s not a fair fight though with 1 side having to bat under lights and the other team not.But the Kiwis did win the toss and chose to field first.

Yes, saw a few QPR tops yesterday.

I was in Wellington in 2008 to see Broady and Jimmy take their first wickets together. Great to be here again to see them break the record 15 years later

Playing golf again this morning, then will be up the back of the grass bank again this afternoon for the win.

If I dont see you here then see you for a chat in Wellington?
[Post edited 18 Feb 2023 22:55]
Cricket on 01:16 - Feb 19 with 2767 viewsCiderwithRsie

Cricket on 00:54 - Feb 17 by Damo1962

This is probably balls, but it's a thought that keeps popping into my mind.

QPR need a complete transformation. Well, the most stunning transformation I've seen in sport has been English cricket under Andrew Strauss. He's done it twice, once with the white ball team under Eoin Morgan and now with the red ball side under Stokes. In both cases, mainly the same players, just liberated.

It's partly about being given licence to attack, but more about having no fear. So what if you get out? We're not dropping you if you've got the talent and you've given it a go. Somoene else will come off, and maybe next time you will.

Now with the Test team there's an extra element; Stokes captains like he'd genuinely rather lose while going for a win than play safe for a draw. Entertainment is the aim, and winning comes with that, but the winning is a by-product, not the aim as such. Players go back to why they became players in the first place. Grinding out results is not an option.

How would that translate to football? I suppose it'd be a bit Kevin Keegan at Newcastle. Maybe we'd get tonked a few times. But would it really be worse than what we have now? It's not like we're grinding out the 0-0's anyway. And maybe we'd start to see those Rob Dickie surges and thunderbastard goals again. Maybe we'd see the real Willock and Chair partnership.

I don't think that even if it came off that we'd be challenging for promotion, we'd lose too much. But at least it might be fun, at least it might be typical batsh*t QPR in a good way.
Cricket on 02:48 - Feb 19 with 2732 viewsFredManRave

Cricket on 01:16 - Feb 19 by CiderwithRsie

This is probably balls, but it's a thought that keeps popping into my mind.

QPR need a complete transformation. Well, the most stunning transformation I've seen in sport has been English cricket under Andrew Strauss. He's done it twice, once with the white ball team under Eoin Morgan and now with the red ball side under Stokes. In both cases, mainly the same players, just liberated.

It's partly about being given licence to attack, but more about having no fear. So what if you get out? We're not dropping you if you've got the talent and you've given it a go. Somoene else will come off, and maybe next time you will.

Now with the Test team there's an extra element; Stokes captains like he'd genuinely rather lose while going for a win than play safe for a draw. Entertainment is the aim, and winning comes with that, but the winning is a by-product, not the aim as such. Players go back to why they became players in the first place. Grinding out results is not an option.

How would that translate to football? I suppose it'd be a bit Kevin Keegan at Newcastle. Maybe we'd get tonked a few times. But would it really be worse than what we have now? It's not like we're grinding out the 0-0's anyway. And maybe we'd start to see those Rob Dickie surges and thunderbastard goals again. Maybe we'd see the real Willock and Chair partnership.

I don't think that even if it came off that we'd be challenging for promotion, we'd lose too much. But at least it might be fun, at least it might be typical batsh*t QPR in a good way.

So, you're potentially comparing us to Kevin Keegan's Newcastle and at the least talking about "fun at football".

Move away from the Cider.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Cricket on 08:26 - Feb 19 with 2661 viewsDWQPR

Watched the first hour this morning and what a class act Jimmy still is at the age of 40. And while we are destroying New Zealand the Aussies are folding like a pack of cards. Lost something like 7 wickets for 19 runs. Shame.

Cricket on 20:41 - Feb 19 with 2481 viewsDamo1962

Another very entertaining England victory. McCullum would sort our wasters out...and it would be fun to watch 😉Jimmy....what more can you say about the man, and the bowler. A pleasure to have witnessed his remarkable career. He isn't quite McGrath...but he is damn close. Nice to see Broadly back among the wickets too. Another great pro.
Cricket on 21:08 - Feb 19 with 2434 viewsdmm

A top professional sport being turned into one that's first and foremost about entertainment? Fantastic. Can we have some of that in football, please?
Cricket on 21:10 - Feb 19 with 2431 viewsThe_Beast1976

Cricket on 20:41 - Feb 19 by Damo1962

Another very entertaining England victory. McCullum would sort our wasters out...and it would be fun to watch 😉Jimmy....what more can you say about the man, and the bowler. A pleasure to have witnessed his remarkable career. He isn't quite McGrath...but he is damn close. Nice to see Broadly back among the wickets too. Another great pro.

Oh how we could do with pros like that at Rangers!

However, I was in the Windies last March for all 3 Tests and we were absoluteky woeful (albeit without Broad and Anderson). We bottomed out there in the Windies. We subsequently got the right man for the job in (Rob Key) who went 'left field' with the coach and captain appointments. Just look at the results since then!! It can be done with the right people in the right positions.....
Cricket on 21:17 - Feb 19 with 2414 viewsDamo1962

Cricket on 21:10 - Feb 19 by The_Beast1976

Oh how we could do with pros like that at Rangers!

However, I was in the Windies last March for all 3 Tests and we were absoluteky woeful (albeit without Broad and Anderson). We bottomed out there in the Windies. We subsequently got the right man for the job in (Rob Key) who went 'left field' with the coach and captain appointments. Just look at the results since then!! It can be done with the right people in the right positions.....

The change has been incredible all right. For once in a long time - I won't be watching The Ashes from behind the couch😉
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024