Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
england 18:52 - Mar 26 with 5497 viewsdigswellhoop

so bloody boring
england on 19:38 - Mar 26 with 4159 viewsJames_Paddocks

I stopped giving a shit about international football when I was about 10.

I've also got zero in common with the "no surrender" mob that follow them about.
england on 20:07 - Mar 26 with 4072 viewsJuzzie

What we’d give now eh for a boring QPR but winning games.
england on 20:38 - Mar 26 with 4010 viewsBoston

england on 20:07 - Mar 26 by Juzzie

What we’d give now eh for a boring QPR but winning games.

...we could do with a bit of no surrender.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

england on 21:02 - Mar 26 with 3943 viewsnumptydumpty

Seriously

Sack Southgate

He's shyte !!!

I cannot understand why so many people are anti Southgate.

He has got a team of reasonably talented lads into a team, they all play for each other, they are organised and all know what they are on the pitch to do and aware of all the formations and instructions given.

The results have been decent throughout and we have progressed well at the last three tournaments.

Yet still Southgate gets pelters !!!

It's hard to comprehend

We have practically qualified again beating the other two decent teams in our group already.

Yet its so boring !!!!!

If QPR were getting this level of results and performances the manager would be praised to the hilt !!!!

Personally I am enjoying an England team that is always competitive with some great attacking talent to boot as well.

Pleasant interlude from the dire recent performances by our good oursleves.

Got to agree though if QPR won all the time, it would be so bloody boring!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
[Post edited 26 Mar 2023 21:06]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

england on 21:38 - Mar 26 with 3848 viewsLblock

england on 19:38 - Mar 26 by James_Paddocks

I stopped giving a shit about international football when I was about 10.

I've also got zero in common with the "no surrender" mob that follow them about.

I’m guessing you’re in your 40’s / 50’s?

Purely because you gave up at 10 so by the time you were 20 or 30 that “no surrender mob” has all but gone. They’ll never be totally gone and nor will “they” from society in general.

I’m not as fussed as I used to be; miles away actually, but not totally dismissive

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

england on 22:17 - Mar 26 with 3743 viewsdaveB

I thought they played well again, could have won by more but beat a decent side without having to get out of first gear
england on 22:56 - Mar 26 with 3650 viewswesty

england on 21:02 - Mar 26 by numptydumpty

Seriously

Sack Southgate

He's shyte !!!

I cannot understand why so many people are anti Southgate.

He has got a team of reasonably talented lads into a team, they all play for each other, they are organised and all know what they are on the pitch to do and aware of all the formations and instructions given.

The results have been decent throughout and we have progressed well at the last three tournaments.

Yet still Southgate gets pelters !!!

It's hard to comprehend

We have practically qualified again beating the other two decent teams in our group already.

Yet its so boring !!!!!

If QPR were getting this level of results and performances the manager would be praised to the hilt !!!!

Personally I am enjoying an England team that is always competitive with some great attacking talent to boot as well.

Pleasant interlude from the dire recent performances by our good oursleves.

Got to agree though if QPR won all the time, it would be so bloody boring!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
[Post edited 26 Mar 2023 21:06]

It’s not that long ago that England would struggle to scrape past the likes of Ukraine. Now it’s a bit of a stroll after the first 30 mins or so. Shows just how far we’ve come. We are all failed managers and players etc etc yet continue to give Southgate a hammering.

I’d hate to think what McLaren and the like would have done with this current crop. He’s by far the best manager we’ve had for a good number of years. Look at the togetherness he’s drummed into them. No dissent towards him from players who seem to be all in it together. Foden understood against Italy after the sending off that someone had to be forfitted. No dissent no Argo and no petulance. Can you imagine some of the prima donnas from years gone by reacting in the same manner.I used to hate it when G Neville and the like couldn’t even be arsed to sing the national anthem. Now they all join in as they should. You are representing your country so at least show you care.

Sure Southgate will be given abuse as he’s in the prime position and his in game management comes into question. Every manager has his quirks. Maybe Steve Holland should be doing more to help in that regard. Yes it’s bloody infuriating when we lost to Croatia after being in control, same against Italy. These are semi finals and finals. Even against France we were arguably the better side and yes we lost but for Kane missing his pen maybe that would have been different.

People moaning with the second half performance against Italy. Do they not realise that no team can keep that same tempo for 90 mins. You have moments in games and the best of the best make those moments count. In reality Italy had 1 shot on target. Italy are shit it was touted. Maybe the opposition made them poor with the way they played against them. Stones wasn’t hardly mentioned yet he had a great game. I don’t want to get into a rant as we are all allowed our opinions but a bit of perspective wouldn’t go amiss.

You’ll never please fans as they think it’s their moral right to know best, that’s why they are sitting on their overweight arses drinking pints paying to watch their team rather than being in that position.

The best calls I hear are..
your shit I could have scored that. When in reality they couldn’t even run out for Rag arse Rovers on a Sunday morning.

Be careful what we wish for as in a few years we may look back and wish Southgate was still in charge. Hopefully not as we do have a few young English managers coming along nicely.
england on 23:12 - Mar 26 with 3633 viewsGaryBannister86

england on 22:56 - Mar 26 by westy

It’s not that long ago that England would struggle to scrape past the likes of Ukraine. Now it’s a bit of a stroll after the first 30 mins or so. Shows just how far we’ve come. We are all failed managers and players etc etc yet continue to give Southgate a hammering.

I’d hate to think what McLaren and the like would have done with this current crop. He’s by far the best manager we’ve had for a good number of years. Look at the togetherness he’s drummed into them. No dissent towards him from players who seem to be all in it together. Foden understood against Italy after the sending off that someone had to be forfitted. No dissent no Argo and no petulance. Can you imagine some of the prima donnas from years gone by reacting in the same manner.I used to hate it when G Neville and the like couldn’t even be arsed to sing the national anthem. Now they all join in as they should. You are representing your country so at least show you care.

Sure Southgate will be given abuse as he’s in the prime position and his in game management comes into question. Every manager has his quirks. Maybe Steve Holland should be doing more to help in that regard. Yes it’s bloody infuriating when we lost to Croatia after being in control, same against Italy. These are semi finals and finals. Even against France we were arguably the better side and yes we lost but for Kane missing his pen maybe that would have been different.

People moaning with the second half performance against Italy. Do they not realise that no team can keep that same tempo for 90 mins. You have moments in games and the best of the best make those moments count. In reality Italy had 1 shot on target. Italy are shit it was touted. Maybe the opposition made them poor with the way they played against them. Stones wasn’t hardly mentioned yet he had a great game. I don’t want to get into a rant as we are all allowed our opinions but a bit of perspective wouldn’t go amiss.

You’ll never please fans as they think it’s their moral right to know best, that’s why they are sitting on their overweight arses drinking pints paying to watch their team rather than being in that position.

The best calls I hear are..
your shit I could have scored that. When in reality they couldn’t even run out for Rag arse Rovers on a Sunday morning.

Be careful what we wish for as in a few years we may look back and wish Southgate was still in charge. Hopefully not as we do have a few young English managers coming along nicely.

Brilliant assessment. Except for the bit where you say we "may" wish Southgate was still in charge once he's gone.

If you had told me 10 years ago we would get to Euros final, a World Cup semi, a world cup quarter final......wouldn't have believed it.

But then you get the "they only played Saudi Arabia reserves etc" and "golden generation" brigade blah blah. Well Capello and others had Rooney, Gerrard, Fat Frank etc etc and they could barely get a win in any major tournament match.

Well, it was always thus. Bobby Robson appears now to have been accepted as a legendary England manager whereas he only had one good tournament, was pilloried throughout most his reign, and the above brigade would argue that we were absolutely pants through most of that tournament and apart from Lineker and some dives, would have lost to Cameroon.

Whatever happens, once gone, Southgate will go down as an absolute legend.

Especially considering the state we were in when he took over.
Login to get fewer ads

england on 01:01 - Mar 27 with 3507 viewsSydneyRs

england on 23:12 - Mar 26 by GaryBannister86

Brilliant assessment. Except for the bit where you say we "may" wish Southgate was still in charge once he's gone.

If you had told me 10 years ago we would get to Euros final, a World Cup semi, a world cup quarter final......wouldn't have believed it.

But then you get the "they only played Saudi Arabia reserves etc" and "golden generation" brigade blah blah. Well Capello and others had Rooney, Gerrard, Fat Frank etc etc and they could barely get a win in any major tournament match.

Well, it was always thus. Bobby Robson appears now to have been accepted as a legendary England manager whereas he only had one good tournament, was pilloried throughout most his reign, and the above brigade would argue that we were absolutely pants through most of that tournament and apart from Lineker and some dives, would have lost to Cameroon.

Whatever happens, once gone, Southgate will go down as an absolute legend.

Especially considering the state we were in when he took over.

Good call on 1990. While it was wonderful and exciting to progress so far, we were largely rubbish and it looked for a long time like they might have to draw lots to see who went through from our group. A scrappy 1-0 win v Egypt got us through. The group game v Ireland was also truly awful.

Robson was basically forced to switch to a sweeper system which seemed to work better. Still we were outplayed by Belgium before Platt scored that brilliant late winner and were pretty lucky to get past Cameroon (great night in the pub though) needing two penalties to do it. The Germany game was our one good performance and yet Robson is widely praised for that world cup.

Southgate has instilled a superb team spirit, a far cry from the club rivalries Rio Ferdinand and others have talked about, which can't be easy in the multi millionaire football world of today.

We were the lottery of a penalty shootout away from winning the Euros and a penalty miss from maybe going close at the last world cup. We more than matched France who will be in any conversation about tournament winners for a while. We have exciting players like Bellingham and Saka coming through and are certainly one of the teams that can win the next few tournaments.
england on 01:16 - Mar 27 with 3496 viewsjtuck

If you remember Don Revie and Graham Taylor as England managers, you'll realize how good Southgate really is.

LAranger

england on 10:46 - Mar 27 with 3080 viewsBushman

england on 01:01 - Mar 27 by SydneyRs

Good call on 1990. While it was wonderful and exciting to progress so far, we were largely rubbish and it looked for a long time like they might have to draw lots to see who went through from our group. A scrappy 1-0 win v Egypt got us through. The group game v Ireland was also truly awful.

Robson was basically forced to switch to a sweeper system which seemed to work better. Still we were outplayed by Belgium before Platt scored that brilliant late winner and were pretty lucky to get past Cameroon (great night in the pub though) needing two penalties to do it. The Germany game was our one good performance and yet Robson is widely praised for that world cup.

Southgate has instilled a superb team spirit, a far cry from the club rivalries Rio Ferdinand and others have talked about, which can't be easy in the multi millionaire football world of today.

We were the lottery of a penalty shootout away from winning the Euros and a penalty miss from maybe going close at the last world cup. We more than matched France who will be in any conversation about tournament winners for a while. We have exciting players like Bellingham and Saka coming through and are certainly one of the teams that can win the next few tournaments.

Apparently the players revolted and forced him to change to sweeper system

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

england on 11:10 - Mar 27 with 3040 viewswesty

england on 01:01 - Mar 27 by SydneyRs

I fall into the category of really liking Robson as he seemed a genuine guy however if we are talking in game management and as the haters love to say reactive and not proactive then surely he would have been better off substituting Shilton as penalties approached for the penalty saving man mountain that was Dave Beasant. For however good anyone thought Shilton was by that tournament he was way past his best.
He collapsed backwards to West Germany’s deflected goal and literally every German penalty his legs folded as he attempted to dive.
Beasant I’m sure would have been a much better option but had the result been the same Robson would have been abused and not treasured as a national hero.
Damned if you do damned if you don’t.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2023 11:17]
england on 11:18 - Mar 27 with 3020 viewsSonofpugwash

Nope I won't recognise that England have got better rather the opposition has got worse.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

england on 11:40 - Mar 27 with 2942 viewsGaryBannister86

england on 11:10 - Mar 27 by westy

I fall into the category of really liking Robson as he seemed a genuine guy however if we are talking in game management and as the haters love to say reactive and not proactive then surely he would have been better off substituting Shilton as penalties approached for the penalty saving man mountain that was Dave Beasant. For however good anyone thought Shilton was by that tournament he was way past his best.
He collapsed backwards to West Germany’s deflected goal and literally every German penalty his legs folded as he attempted to dive.
Beasant I’m sure would have been a much better option but had the result been the same Robson would have been abused and not treasured as a national hero.

Absolutely correct. As dreadful a goalkeeper as Pheasant was, even a real pheasant would have got closer to those penalties than old crock Shilton. He should have brought him on.
england on 12:27 - Mar 27 with 2858 viewsdaveB

england on 11:40 - Mar 27 by GaryBannister86

Absolutely correct. As dreadful a goalkeeper as Pheasant was, even a real pheasant would have got closer to those penalties than old crock Shilton. He should have brought him on.

Had that ever been done before 1990 with a sub keeper coming on for penalties?
There had not been that many shoot outs at that point so I doubt it was something that would have crossed anyone's mind back then

Do agree with you both though, Beasant would have saved one of them, Shilton was way past it by then and always thought he was a prat for playing in the 3rd/4th place game rather than letting one of the subs play just so he could get the extra cap
england on 12:41 - Mar 27 with 2820 viewsGaryBannister86

england on 12:27 - Mar 27 by daveB

Had that ever been done before 1990 with a sub keeper coming on for penalties?
There had not been that many shoot outs at that point so I doubt it was something that would have crossed anyone's mind back then

Do agree with you both though, Beasant would have saved one of them, Shilton was way past it by then and always thought he was a prat for playing in the 3rd/4th place game rather than letting one of the subs play just so he could get the extra cap

Fair point, and perhaps my memory is playing tricks, but I think it was suggested by a few throughout extra time. Whether that was the commentator, Venables in the studio (he would have done it), Des Lynam, or my Dad, I don't know.

Didn't Shilton go the right way every time but not even touch one?

Yet Waddle got all the abuse. Never understand why keepers don't get more stick. Dieng comes from a long line of Rangers keepers (bar Smithies of course) who just flop down in the wrong direction. I am sure Big Fat Ron told Bosnich not to guess, just save the ball as he was such a great shot stopper. I always say it, if the ball was bouncing around the penalty spot in open play and someone took a shot, the keeper wouldn't dive in the opposite direction. Just try and save the bloomin' thing.
england on 12:57 - Mar 27 with 2774 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

When you look at England's all time record in major tournament knock out games outside of England, we really are completely pathetic. I feel like this is sort of covered up or not talked about an awful lot but we have literally never knocked out a good or major footballing nation outside of England. Every knockout win has come against a middling nation without exception.

Major Tournament knockout game wins away from England, ever:
2022 - Senegal
2021 - Ukraine
2018 - Sweden, Colombia
2006 - Ecuador
2002 - Denmark
1990 - Belgium, Cameroon
1986 - Paraguay

Major Tournament knockout game losses away from England, ever:
2022 - France
2018 - Croatia
2016 - Iceland
2012 - Italy
2010 - Germany
2006 - Portugal
2004 - Portugal
2002 - Brazil
1998 - Argentina
1990 - Germany
1986 - Argentina
1982 - Germany
1970 - Germany
1962 - Brazil
1958 - USSR

When you look at it like that our entire existence has been beating ok teams and then immediately losing to anyone decent. I don't think you could argue there's even a single exception. We've literally never won a big knockout match away from home in our history. It's pathetic.

I do like Southgate though. He's created teams you can really get behind almost out of nowhere. Good for him. I don't think the grass would be any greener elsewhere.
england on 12:58 - Mar 27 with 2773 viewsWalnut

Maybe being wise after the event but the frustrating thing with Shilton in that shoot out was he seemed to wait to see which way to go, got most (all?) right but didn't get a hand on any. A 50-50 gamble witha a full dive may have served him better.
Also, the thing about swapping him off for Beasant is a myth as Beasant wasn't a named sub, Chris Woods was the only keeper on the bench
england on 13:04 - Mar 27 with 2761 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

england on 12:58 - Mar 27 by Walnut

Maybe being wise after the event but the frustrating thing with Shilton in that shoot out was he seemed to wait to see which way to go, got most (all?) right but didn't get a hand on any. A 50-50 gamble witha a full dive may have served him better.
Also, the thing about swapping him off for Beasant is a myth as Beasant wasn't a named sub, Chris Woods was the only keeper on the bench

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/1990italy/match-center/159

That's not true is it? Both on the bench.
england on 13:08 - Mar 27 with 2751 viewsWalnut

england on 13:04 - Mar 27 by Padulas_Shampoo

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/1990italy/match-center/159

That's not true is it? Both on the bench.

That's the whole squad, as far as I recall it was five named subs back then
england on 13:14 - Mar 27 with 2723 viewsTheChef

On the whole I'm a fan of Southgate and appreciate the great job he has done with England so far - amazing achievements to get to a WC semi final and a Euros final in consecutive tournaments.

I get a little frustrated with his generally conservative approach given all the attacking talent we have available. But at the end of the day he wins the games and gets the results to get through qualifiers and get to the latter stages of tournaments.

My big frustration is his in-game management in the really big games, or even if we go behind in a game. My feeling is that through the Croatia semi final, the Italy final and even the France quarter final he hasn't learnt anything. He is too reactive and better coaches use their subs and tactics far more effectively - look at what Deschamps did in that game.

I really hope he can learn and improve in those situations and win that trophy we're all craving, but unfortunately I think inherently he is too cautious. Unless someone can help him change his behaviour.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

england on 13:16 - Mar 27 with 2717 viewsSydneyRs

england on 11:10 - Mar 27 by westy

Robson was a terrific bloke no doubt. Unlike Shilton who social media reveals as an odious character.
england on 13:43 - Mar 27 with 2669 viewswesty

england on 12:58 - Mar 27 by Walnut

If that’s the case then Chris Woods would have been even better. All in hindsight now I suppose.
england on 13:45 - Mar 27 with 2660 viewsSonofpugwash

Best wishes go to Carlton Palmer who is in hospital following a heart attack.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

england on 13:46 - Mar 27 with 2660 viewswesty

england on 13:14 - Mar 27 by TheChef

On the whole I'm a fan of Southgate and appreciate the great job he has done with England so far - amazing achievements to get to a WC semi final and a Euros final in consecutive tournaments.

I get a little frustrated with his generally conservative approach given all the attacking talent we have available. But at the end of the day he wins the games and gets the results to get through qualifiers and get to the latter stages of tournaments.

My big frustration is his in-game management in the really big games, or even if we go behind in a game. My feeling is that through the Croatia semi final, the Italy final and even the France quarter final he hasn't learnt anything. He is too reactive and better coaches use their subs and tactics far more effectively - look at what Deschamps did in that game.

I really hope he can learn and improve in those situations and win that trophy we're all craving, but unfortunately I think inherently he is too cautious. Unless someone can help him change his behaviour.

That someone as I mentioned should surely be his Assistant Steve Holland. That’s what he’s there for to bounce ideas about surely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024