Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charging Cost 06:29 - Apr 28 with 8269 viewsDubaiR

Premier Inn Uttoxeter - avoid charging car here.

Company forced me in to all electric which is a massive pain given the milage I do.

Anyway 0.98p per kWh. Output 8.6 so had to be plugged in over night to get me upto my 200 mile maximum, total cost 92 quid with a 4 hour over stay charge.

Companies rate of reimbursement 0.19p kWh!
Charging Cost on 13:35 - Apr 28 with 1614 viewsMelakaRanger

Charging Cost on 12:32 - Apr 28 by CamberleyR

" it’s still way more expensive than my petrol driven car"

Not all the time Steve. I'm in the process of getting a home charger installed at my house and I'm quite fortunate that my energy supplier (OVO) have an EV charging tariff that is 10p per kWh so a bit under a third as cheap as the normal domestic tariff and they separate your EV charging from your everyday domestic use.

As an example, if I wanted to do a full 20% to 80% charge (which are the optimum low and high levels) that would cost me just over three quid. At 80% I get about 160 miles. As I don't tend to get it as low as 20% very often it wouldn't even cost me as much as that most times.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 13:29]

Home Charging is absolutely vital to being able to run your EV cheaply.

Both Ovo and Octopus offer Ev friendly electricity tariffs. I have been with Octopus for many years now and use their GO tariff. I get 4 hours at cheap rate (for me currently 7.5p per kw - new contracts its around 9.5p)

Dont know about the OVO terms but with Octopus all the power your home uses in those 4 hours is at the cheap rate. I not only charge my car but get the washing machine and dishwasher to run too. I know others charge their home batteries, immersion tanks etc as well. All at the cheap rate.

I can get around 26kws into my car in those 4 hours, at a cost to me of just £1.97 And thats enough to run my car for around 125 miles.

If you do say 10,000 miles per year ( on average 200 miles a week ) then with an average EVs 'mpg' of 4 miles per kw, your total weekly fuel bill to run your car need not be more than around £5 max, so £20 a month to drive 10,000 miles a year. Thats just 2.5p per mile.

My average monthly cost for electricity over the past 9 months has been less than 10p per kw every single month except last month when it was just 10.1p per kw.

If you have an EV and a home charger you really should check out the EV friendly tariffs. It could save you a fortune
Charging Cost on 13:53 - Apr 28 with 1574 viewsR_from_afar

Charging Cost on 11:51 - Apr 28 by Northernr

Worst Premier Inns of the UK..

Swansea Wind Street - never a good sign when there's a security guy on the door
Swansea Bay - never a good sign when there's a bloke on a scaffold looking in on you as you wake up
Putney Bridge - My god, pull the fcker down, put it out of its misery
Sheffield (Arena) - If I'd wanted to stay in Rotherham, I would have booked the Rotherham one.
Sheffield (St Mary's Gate) - 7am housekeeping?! Fck off please, I'm trying to have a hungover wnk here.
Hammersmith - Asbestos rabbit hutch
Gatwick North Terminal - a hotel for 20,000 people with a lift for six. Fire alarm goes off after about 2am (does do) you may as well pack your case and head for the check in because you ain't getting back to fcking bed.

Haha, that list reminds me of this great book, in which the author stays in Britain's worst hell holes:
https://www.waterstones.com/book/you-are-awful-but-i-like-you/tim-moore/97802240

PS: Worryingly, I am staying in the Gatwick one quite soon!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Charging Cost on 14:42 - Apr 28 with 1522 viewsTomS

The elephant in the room is the life expectancy and replacement cost of car batteries. I was told by someone in the car sales business that electric car sales are increasing as it is the future, but nobody knows how long the batteries will last. The current replacement cost in Ireland is about Eur19k, which nobody will pay. His advice was to hold off on buying a fully electric car for the time being.
Charging Cost on 15:37 - Apr 28 with 1466 viewsDubaiR

Always found Octopus great and always pulled money out.

However now have a smart metre and typical cost is 7 quid a day, when plug car in is 34/35.

We are however getting solar panels installed on the 8th May with a large battery pack so that will make charging the car at home effective
Charging Cost on 15:51 - Apr 28 with 1440 viewsMick_S

Charging Cost on 15:37 - Apr 28 by DubaiR

However now have a smart metre and typical cost is 7 quid a day, when plug car in is 34/35.

We are however getting solar panels installed on the 8th May with a large battery pack so that will make charging the car at home effective

Good luck getting your car up there

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Charging Cost on 16:05 - Apr 28 with 1415 viewsEsox_Lucius

Charging Cost on 15:37 - Apr 28 by DubaiR

That's what I have done, a 10Kwh battery, 5,6Kwh PV array and a Zappi smart charger. When it is sunny I set the Zappi to eco++ which will only charge the car when the batteries are 100% full and if I have to charge on the overnight EV tariff I can set the scheduled charge to the 4 hours it is available so I don't go onto the standard tariff. Last year I spent a total of £36 charging my car on Pod Point at Tesco and overnight charges at home.
I probably wouldn't have bothered with an EV if I didn't have the solar system and home charger.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2023 8:46]

The grass is always greener.

Charging Cost on 16:30 - Apr 28 with 1390 viewsQPR_John

Has anybody considered those like me who live on a walk. I have no road in front of me only a garage block at the end of the walk. I have asked this question a number of times not least to my MP but nobody has the answer. So once we go all electric I might as well give up driving and expect the value of the house to go down. Still it’s all for a good cause and somebody has to pay.
Charging Cost on 06:36 - Apr 29 with 1282 viewsMelakaRanger

Charging Cost on 16:05 - Apr 28 by Esox_Lucius

That's what I have done, a 10Kwh battery, 5,6Kwh PV array and a Zappi smart charger. When it is sunny I set the Zappi to eco++ which will only charge the car when the batteries are 100% full and if I have to charge on the overnight EV tariff I can set the scheduled charge to the 4 hours it is available so I don't go onto the standard tariff. Last year I spent a total of £36 charging my car on Pod Point at Tesco and overnight charges at home.
I probably wouldn't have bothered with an EV if I didn't have the solar system and home charger.

I can 2nd that. I've had panels since 2015 (when my first EV arrived and it only had an 80 mile range) And finally last spring I got a Zappi and in the autumn I managed to get a 9.5kw battery system installed too.

Zappi is always on Eco++ to just charge from excess solar once the battery is at 100%.

From mid March to mid October I reckon 95% or more of my motoring fuel is free via the panels. November to Feb when little solar surplus is available I will charge during the cheap GO 4 hours.

Since th abttery was installed
Login to get fewer ads

Charging Cost on 07:16 - Apr 29 with 1251 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Charging Cost on 16:30 - Apr 28 by QPR_John

Has anybody considered those like me who live on a walk. I have no road in front of me only a garage block at the end of the walk. I have asked this question a number of times not least to my MP but nobody has the answer. So once we go all electric I might as well give up driving and expect the value of the house to go down. Still it’s all for a good cause and somebody has to pay.

Genuinely, what’s the difference to you? I’m confused.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2023 7:19]
Charging Cost on 07:42 - Apr 29 with 1229 viewsQPR_John

Charging Cost on 07:16 - Apr 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

Genuinely, what’s the difference to you? I’m confused.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2023 7:19]

To put it in simple terms I cannot instal a home charger it would be pointless.
Charging Cost on 08:23 - Apr 29 with 1211 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Charging Cost on 07:42 - Apr 29 by QPR_John

To put it in simple terms I cannot instal a home charger it would be pointless.

Obviously I don’t know you exact circumstance, but you can them installed at the garage block?

Some councils actually do it for free. It doesn’t literally have to be at your home.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2023 8:25]
Charging Cost on 08:40 - Apr 29 with 1201 viewsGloucs_R

Premier Inn?

Commoners 😂

I never have this problem. My chauffeur picks me up and drops me off at the doors of the Ritz each and every time.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Charging Cost on 09:40 - Apr 29 with 1160 viewsQPR_John

Charging Cost on 08:23 - Apr 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

Obviously I don’t know you exact circumstance, but you can them installed at the garage block?

Some councils actually do it for free. It doesn’t literally have to be at your home.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2023 8:25]

Well thats news to me.. Can it be a personnal one or joint with the garage owners. How will it be protected against general use. Will it be on a domestic tariff or a more expenses (from what I've read here) a public tariff. I'd be very surprised if West Berkshire have even considered such a scheme.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2023 9:42]
Charging Cost on 09:47 - Apr 29 with 1156 viewseastside_r

Charging Cost on 09:00 - Apr 28 by robith

Big Accidental Partridge vibes here

This but also brought to mind that old Fry and Laurie sketch - ‘Damn you Marjorie!’
Charging Cost on 09:49 - Apr 29 with 1147 viewseastside_r

Charging Cost on 11:51 - Apr 28 by Northernr

Worst Premier Inns of the UK..

Swansea Wind Street - never a good sign when there's a security guy on the door
Swansea Bay - never a good sign when there's a bloke on a scaffold looking in on you as you wake up
Putney Bridge - My god, pull the fcker down, put it out of its misery
Sheffield (Arena) - If I'd wanted to stay in Rotherham, I would have booked the Rotherham one.
Sheffield (St Mary's Gate) - 7am housekeeping?! Fck off please, I'm trying to have a hungover wnk here.
Hammersmith - Asbestos rabbit hutch
Gatwick North Terminal - a hotel for 20,000 people with a lift for six. Fire alarm goes off after about 2am (does do) you may as well pack your case and head for the check in because you ain't getting back to fcking bed.

LOL. Lenny Henry’s got nothing on this.
Charging Cost on 09:51 - Apr 29 with 1128 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Charging Cost on 09:40 - Apr 29 by QPR_John

Well thats news to me.. Can it be a personnal one or joint with the garage owners. How will it be protected against general use. Will it be on a domestic tariff or a more expenses (from what I've read here) a public tariff. I'd be very surprised if West Berkshire have even considered such a scheme.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2023 9:42]

Any or none of the above, but not having a driveway isn’t an obstruction to electric vehicle ownership.
Charging Cost on 09:51 - Apr 29 with 1129 viewsR_from_afar

Charging Cost on 14:42 - Apr 28 by TomS

The elephant in the room is the life expectancy and replacement cost of car batteries. I was told by someone in the car sales business that electric car sales are increasing as it is the future, but nobody knows how long the batteries will last. The current replacement cost in Ireland is about Eur19k, which nobody will pay. His advice was to hold off on buying a fully electric car for the time being.

I am surprised that it is physically possible to replace the battery of an EV, I have never heard of that being feasible, they're built into the chassis of the vehicle usually.

That said, most if not all manufacturers offer a free, long duration warranty on the battery, I think it's 10 years for my i3.

Tesla have, as you might imagine, done battery life tests and their research indicated that even after a million miles, the battery would only lose 1-2% of its maximum capacity.

EV manufacturers are taking into account what to do with the battery once the vehicle has reached the end of its working life. Storage of grid electricity is one application. BMW state that all i3 batteries will be recycled and Renault are saying all their EV batteries can be recycled.

I've had my EV for eight years and have loved it.

That said, I am disgusted by the exploitative charging costs some of you have flagged up. As my mate would say, they are a legal con

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Charging Cost on 11:28 - Apr 29 with 1043 viewsthame_hoops

Charging Cost on 09:31 - Apr 28 by DubaiR

To charge at home costs me 27 quid with Octopus again I have to cover that. Right now the infrastructure isn’t great and expensive.

£27 for 200 miles? Goodness me. I thought they were supposed to be so cheap to charge?
Charging Cost on 11:59 - Apr 29 with 996 viewsMelakaRanger

Anyone with an EV and also having Octopus as their homes energy provider should look at moving their tariff to Octopus GO or Octopus Intelligent.

Go is available no matter what EV or home charger you have.
Intelligent is quite restricted to just a few Evs or just 1 charger (OHME)

With Octopus Go you get 4 hours every night when all the power your home usesd is charged at a much lower rate - less than 10p per kw

Intelligent gives you a minimum of 5 hours at the cheap rate.

Charge your EV everynight using the Go tariff and during those 4 hours you will put around 25kws into your car. This would cost you less than £2.50

The "MPG" for the different EVs out there vary a lot and of course your driving and the time of year affects your fuel economy too.

Over 12 months I average 4.6miles per kw.

But say you average 4 miles per kw. That means that overnight you can fuel your car for 100 miles of motoring for just under £2.50.

Repeat your charging cycle every night if you need. 5 nights charging would give you 500 miles of motoring fuel for less than £12.50 per week. Simples.

It is madness to charge an EV at home using a standard rate tariff - currently 34p per kw
Charging Cost on 12:42 - Apr 29 with 969 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

This is why we can’t have nice things.

The general public want to do the right thing but can’t because there are greedy fckers degrading our public transport and taking massive cuts for themselves making everything unaffordable for 90% of us.
Charging Cost on 13:08 - Apr 29 with 934 viewsArty

Charging Cost on 16:05 - Apr 28 by Esox_Lucius

Cannot afford to buy an EV, or afford the cost of solar panels. Guess I'll have to stay as one of the great unwashed!
Charging Cost on 13:39 - Apr 29 with 903 viewskarl

We had an old petrol Vauxhall which needed replacing so are now leasing a Nissan Leaf with 150 mile range.
We got solar panels just before and car was brought on by these tbh.
We went from £100 per week petrol cost to £30 average on the Leaf so effectively we’re paying the lease cost, covering the fuel and saving a few quid as well. Need quite a few of those savings to get back the cost of panels but I’d hope it’s within 7 yrs.
Biggest problem we have is not being home enough in the daytime to get the ‘free’ excess power off the panels. Our cheapest rate is something like 34p overnight.
We do have a Zappi but it’s always tripped after a few minutes and tbh we just use the slow charger, although getting installers back to look at it soon, just laziness from us that haven’t done it yet.

Still have a diesel as there’s no way could run off Orkney with a range that would need charging twice before getting to Edinburgh/Glasgow but for our on island driving it’s hard to beat it in honesty.
Charging Cost on 13:52 - Apr 29 with 896 viewsMelakaRanger

Solar panels can be almost self funding even if you took out a personal loan to pay for them. Assuming you have a sufficiently large enough roof space and its orientated between ESE and WSW for optimum solar generation. If your roof faces north then you are onto a loser straight away

A good 4 kw system should be had for around £7 K or less. Most have 20 or 25 year warranties.

A £7.5k loan over 10 years at Nat West is currently £82 per month

A 4kw system on a good roof should generate between 4 and 5,000 kws a year. Most likely only 40% of that will be used by the home - unless you have an EV when you could easily use 75% or more. The surplus you sell back to the grid.

So around 2000kws used by the home rather than paying the current 34p per kw for grid power saves you £680 a year. The remaining 2-2500kws of surplus solar generation can be sold back to your energy company. Some give 5p per kw , some a good deal more. But even at 5p per kw that earns you around £125. So savings and earning could very easily amount to £800 per year or more

The cost of the loan is £960 per year over 10 years. The income saved/generated each year could easily be around £800. Once the loan is repaid you are quids in every month therafter.
Charging Cost on 14:27 - Apr 29 with 859 viewsQPR_John

Charging Cost on 09:51 - Apr 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

Any or none of the above, but not having a driveway isn’t an obstruction to electric vehicle ownership.

Well lets hope in the future charging stations will have as many working points as current petrol stations have pumps and that the time for a full charge is the same as that to get a full tank of petrol. Its not the point that I do not have a driveway it is that I do not have a road so cannot park my car outside my house.
Charging Cost on 15:21 - Apr 29 with 827 viewsR_from_afar

Charging Cost on 13:52 - Apr 29 by MelakaRanger

Solar panels can be almost self funding even if you took out a personal loan to pay for them. Assuming you have a sufficiently large enough roof space and its orientated between ESE and WSW for optimum solar generation. If your roof faces north then you are onto a loser straight away

A good 4 kw system should be had for around £7 K or less. Most have 20 or 25 year warranties.

A £7.5k loan over 10 years at Nat West is currently £82 per month

A 4kw system on a good roof should generate between 4 and 5,000 kws a year. Most likely only 40% of that will be used by the home - unless you have an EV when you could easily use 75% or more. The surplus you sell back to the grid.

So around 2000kws used by the home rather than paying the current 34p per kw for grid power saves you £680 a year. The remaining 2-2500kws of surplus solar generation can be sold back to your energy company. Some give 5p per kw , some a good deal more. But even at 5p per kw that earns you around £125. So savings and earning could very easily amount to £800 per year or more

The cost of the loan is £960 per year over 10 years. The income saved/generated each year could easily be around £800. Once the loan is repaid you are quids in every month therafter.

"Assuming you have a sufficiently large enough roof space and its orientated between ESE and WSW for optimum solar generation. If your roof faces north then you are onto a loser straight away".

You will think I am making this up for comic effect but I swear it is true. When the installers came to fit my solar panels, they asked me which side of the roof I would like them on. As deadpan as you like, I said: "Please let's not put them on the north facing side, let's go for the south facing one instead".

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024